C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

'19 ZO6 A8 Changes ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 01:12 PM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave PL
A8 already shifts lightning quick when it matters, faster than most DCTs. It sucks as an on-demand paddle shifted trans but why would you paddle-shift an 8 speed with 650 lb-ft of torque?

This is an old, well beaten argument, but the A8 upshifts near instant at WOT under load when it matters.

It certainly shifts a lot faster than any mullet manual, that's for sure. Manuals might tickle your fancy, but they serve no meaningful purpose these days. You might like them and want one and that's super, but they're not used in racing and aren't superior in any metric. And while the A8 in the Stingray is a bit weak, in the Z forums I see more complaints about the manual being notchy than I do about the A8. And everyone needs an MGW shifter right away...

BTW, I say that as someone who owns a DCT, SCT, TKO-600, M-20 and M-21 (no M-22 though). Each has its place and era. I just don't think a manual belongs in a modern car, but if you only have one fun car and want a manual, screw what I say and get what you want, that's all that matters.

People that think it bears any relation to "slushbox" or a Powerglide are merely telegraphing the fact they've never driven one, or the last one was an A6 maybe. They sucked.

I'd like to drive the Merc 9 speed for some comparison, but never have...

[Edit: The A8 had it's issues in the base case, but this is the Z subforum.]
​​​​​​

​​​​​​serves no purpose until you have to bring your car in to cool down and the manuals are still on the track.

Even at the Ron Fellows driving school they say the level two class is really only for manual cars since the autos can't stay in it.

The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 01:31 PM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

Received 232 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '16

Originally Posted by tzoid9
MMD says......."Hate to burst your bubble but the Range device they sell online at Amazon are the old version of the Range and were problematic. You will need to return it or send the unit to Range Technology to get the upgraded firmware installed. The old version was known to have a higher parasitic draw on the battery when the car is not running."

You may or may not have burst my bubble. I bought mine on eBay and it was titled...."Range Technology RA003 Active Fuel Management Disable Device for GM Vehicles" and it is eBay item # 123381302381. It sure looks like the newest and greatest that Range Technology manufactures, maybe you can confirm that for me. Amazon's product appears to be the "Blue" one which is the same unit that the manufacturer's web site shows. Is your information from a reliable source?
Just ordered mine from them.

Bubble burst!

From the "Where to buy Page"

WARNING:

We Do Not Have Any Authorized Dealers On E-bay or Amazon.

Be very cautious buying from e-Bay sellers as we have had reports of used/broken/out dated modules being sold. Unfortunately, as much as we’d like to help, the warranty is void and your only recourse is with the original seller.

Range Technology DOES NOT SELL DIRECTLY ON Amazon or eBay.

We are the manufacturer of the product and sell it directly or through the listed authorized dealers ONLY.

Any merchandise from vendors other than those listed here is questionable and more often than not is older/outdated overstock merchandise.

Ensure you have the latest firmware and continuing support by ordering directly from us!

Please see our FAQ page for more information…

Vegas1500 (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 01:37 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

MMD says......."Hate to burst your bubble but the Range device they sell online at Amazon are the old version of the Range and were problematic. You will need to return it or send the unit to Range Technology to get the upgraded firmware installed. The old version was known to have a higher parasitic draw on the battery when the car is not running."

You may or may not have burst my bubble. I bought mine on eBay and it was titled...."Range Technology RA003 Active Fuel Management Disable Device for GM Vehicles" and it is eBay item # 123381302381. It sure looks like the newest and greatest that Range Technology manufactures, maybe you can confirm that for me. Amazon's product appears to be the "Blue" one which is the same unit that the manufacturer's web site shows. Is your information from a reliable source?
Insufficient info to confirm. The latest firmware is 8.6.1. Range sells there products directly, not eBay. Chances are very high you have old firmware. There are many posts on CF about this product and the issue with the older firmware.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:40 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,137 Posts

Originally Posted by RegnaR
​​​​​​

​​​​​​serves no purpose until you have to bring your car in to cool down and the manuals are still on the track.

Even at the Ron Fellows driving school they say the level two class is really only for manual cars since the autos can't stay in it.

lol did they really say that? ANd they know corvettes so it has to be true!! lol

And did that other guy say the A8 shifts faster than DCT's??? lol

Old 12-30-2018, 01:50 PM
Emmdmd
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by MMD

Insufficient info to confirm. The latest firmware is 8.6.1. Range sells there products directly, not eBay. Chances are very high you have old firmware. There are many posts on CF about this product and the issue with the older firmware.
MMD is correct. Range Technology lists this warning (buying through eBay, Amazon, Woot) directly on their website, so it’s been an obvious issue. There are also many posts of cars throwing CELs and going into limp mode with some of the older firmware. I would assume you could send it back to Range to update if that is the only issue with it, but not sure I’d be comfortable with it. Range is considerably more than what you paid at $199, but they are offering $10 off.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:17 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by RegnaR
​​​​​​

That will very much depend on what the driver does with the automatic. In "auto mode", the programming will always keep the engine at close to maximum rpm, regardless of whether the power can be put to the pavement or not. "Manual" drivers don't tend to do that, nor do those paddle-shifting the automatic.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:36 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Emmdmd

MMD is correct. Range Technology lists this warning (buying through eBay, Amazon, Woot) directly on their website, so it’s been an obvious issue. There are also many posts of cars throwing CELs and going into limp mode with some of the older firmware. I would assume you could send it back to Range to update if that is the only issue with it, but not sure I’d be comfortable with it. Range is considerably more than what you paid at $199, but they are offering $10 off.
Unfortunately, price is only a factor if the items are same-same. If all of this feed back is accurate (and it sure sounds that it is), I'll be cancelling my eBay order and buying direct from Range Technology or one of it's approved agents. I'll try to leave a follow up to this issue since it seems it's sparked a lot of interest.
Emmdmd (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 07:44 PM
trevor90
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
lol did they really say that? ANd they know corvettes so it has to be true!! lol

And did that other guy say the A8 shifts faster than DCT's??? lol

i think he means under load the Z trans shifts faster than the dct. which may be true, i think i read that somewhere.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:08 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by trevor90
i think he means under load the Z trans shifts faster than the dct. which may be true, i think i read that somewhere.
Still not true.

Drive a car with a DCT and shift any rpm, upshift and downshift, at various rpm's. It is INSTANT, 100% of the time.

The A8 is only fast, not faster, as the DCT, if that's even possible when you're going WOT and shifting near redline. The A8 can NOT downshift and it can not shift fast at any rpm other than approaching redline.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:24 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I think a lot of the A8's performance is programming. I have the 8L90 in my Z06 as many of you do. I also have it in my 2018 ATS-V. That transmission shifts much more quickly. The paddles operate more like an on/off switch. The throws are very short, on the order of pulling a paddle a 1/4 inch or less will trigger a shift. The paddle feel is much more firm. And once you feel that quick click the shift happens. Also the part throttle shifts seem quicker. Not jerky at all but they happen quickly. Now it may be that with only 464 hp and about the same torque to deal with rather than 650 hp the shifts can be a bit firmer without upsetting the car. I think it would be entirely possible for GM to offer a "shift kit" reprogram like the MRC upgrade that would make many folks happier and make them some money.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:24 PM
Vegas1500
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 256 Likes on 168 Posts

Unfortunately, price is only a factor if the items are same-same. If all of this feed back is accurate (and it sure sounds that it is), I'll be cancelling my eBay order and buying direct from Range Technology or one of it's approved agents. I'll try to leave a follow up to this issue since it seems it's sparked a lot of interest.
buy it from range.....then they will offer you support. Not worth saving a few bucks.
Gilk43 (01-01-2019)
Old 12-31-2018, 08:53 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas1500

buy it from range.....then they will offer you support. Not worth saving a few bucks.
Yep, I agree with your comment. I cancelled my order with the eBay guy. I will buy one from Range but now I'm just curious if this feature can be eliminated with a "tune". Any comments on that one??
Old 12-31-2018, 10:30 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Am I the only one that finds the Range admonition to only "buy from me" very suspect?? How do the other sellers get them?? They buy them from Range right? They are not knockoffs are they?? So Range, the MFG, sells them to resellers and other retailers, yet Range the retailer says don't buy from our customers only buy from our retail arm? Something about that whole exchange sounds very suspect to me.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:03 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Still not true.

Drive a car with a DCT and shift any rpm, upshift and downshift, at various rpm's. It is INSTANT, 100% of the time.

The A8 is only fast, not faster, as the DCT, if that's even possible when you're going WOT and shifting near redline.
The a torque converter/ planetary transmission can shift with no interruption in power. I don't think a DCT can do that.

The A8 can NOT downshift ....
Really???

Last edited by Warp Factor; 01-01-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:11 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

The Range Device is sold on eBay, for what that's worth. I just ordered one and the cost was $143 and change, including tax and shipping. I'm sure I won't run the car with the paddles that often, I never did with my GT-R, but that was a twin clutch transmission. Regarding the Mercedes Benz 9 speed, I bought a new, 2019 C coupe with the 9 speed automatic. It shifts great in traffic and is pretty quick on full acceleration. My previous toy was a Jaguar F type R (supercharged 5 L engine, 550HP, AWD) with an 8 speed automatic (not a twin clutch unit). That shifted great, about like the M/B and if the Corvette's A8 is as nice, I'll be thrilled.
I believe your Jag. uses the ZF made transmission. My A8 Hellcat had the same and in no way does GMs A8 shift as thrilling and responsive as that car so I went with the M7 on my 2019 Z.

Last edited by QUAKEJAKE; 01-01-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:34 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

All the A8 haters will get their way apparently in the new ME as it is rumored to have a DCT.
Z0HS1CK (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 01:31 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
I believe your Jag. uses the ZF made transmission. My A8 Hellcat had the same and in no way does GMs A8 shift as thrilling and responsive as that car so I went with the M7 on my 2019 Z.
The ZF was put in a lot of cars, even high end cars yet it wasn't good enough for GM lol. They would have had a lot of happier customers. And maybe even convincing the manual guys to get the auto. But nope they had to be different and put an inferior unit in the beautiful Z. Oh well, GM has another shot with the C8. And looks like they're doing it right with the DUALLLLLLLL CLLLLUUUUTTTTCCHHHHHH babbbbbyyyyyyy!!! LOL

Get notified of new replies

To '19 ZO6 A8 Changes ?

Old 01-01-2019, 01:33 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by pkincy
All the A8 haters will get their way apparently in the new ME as it is rumored to have a DCT.
lol @ get their way.

The DCT is every way better than the A8 in all facets of performance driving. Why wouldn't you want a DCT? Have you driven a proper performance car with one? I'm not being sarcastic it's a legit question.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:55 AM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

Received 232 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '16

The A8 can NOT downshift
Damn!! I better get mine in for service ASAP...because mine is fully capable of downshifting and I do it all the time. Must need some kind of computer flash to fix this problem.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:30 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

If you took that comment literally without understanding what I really meant, then I know I'll be depressed thinking about getting old like you guys lol

Quick Reply: '19 ZO6 A8 Changes ?