C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

'19 ZO6 A8 Changes ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 01:12 PM
Mark045
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default '19 ZO6 A8 Changes ?

Has anyone have any information on changes/upgrades to the 19’ ZO6 A8 transmissions , IE Faster Shifts ? Thank You
Old 12-29-2018, 03:05 PM
toddhale010
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Very interested to hear replies to this, getting ready to buy a new or nearly new C7 and all the A8 posts are worrying me.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:54 PM
Vegas1500
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 256 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by toddhale010
Very interested to hear replies to this, getting ready to buy a new or nearly new C7 and all the A8 posts are worrying me.
Love my A8. If you do buy it, get the range device right from the start.
The following users liked this post:
toddhale010 (12-30-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 06:51 PM
Rsharpatx
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Range device

Originally Posted by Vegas1500
Love my A8. If you do buy it, get the range device right from the start.
maybe this a dumb question and yes I’m gonna be lazy and just ask! What is this range device you speak of?
Old 12-29-2018, 09:32 PM
fasthwks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

I had a 19 a8 and just traded it for a m7 car. I have had 3 c7 z's all we're manual till my 19 and i decided to buy a a8 for taking to the strip. The a8 really shines there for sure but for me normal driving was very boring and the shifts when you are driving normal we're less than ideal to me. I thought they were sloppy and slow. I then had the trans tune done to the car and it was amazing at wot but still I was not happy with normal driving. Please keep in mind when you tune it your tuner has alot to do with driveability. I think my biggest problem was I was looking for it to shift like my pdk in my turbo which I know is not possible so alot of mine was mental for sure. I would really suggest you go drive both for a little while, not just a couple miles, and try and get a feel for what you like. I ended up going back to the manual because almost all my driving is street driving and track time ended up being minimal. Hope my opinion helps.

The device they are speaking of takes away the cylinder deactivation which is one of the most annoying features of the a8 and can cause converter issues in some cases.

Last edited by fasthwks; 12-29-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:12 PM
Vegas1500
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 256 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Rsharpatx

maybe this a dumb question and yes I’m gonna be lazy and just ask! What is this range device you speak of?
it’s a device that plugs into the OBDII diagnostic port and it elimates the active fuel management which has been a thorn in the sides of many A8 owners.

Last edited by Vegas1500; 12-29-2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:36 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Maybe I'm confused with the discussion here, so how many modes does the Z06 A8 transmission have and which modes allow for cylinder deactivation? I thought it was four modes (Eco, Tour, Sport and Track) and only the Eco mode allowed for cylinder deactivation when the engine load conditions were low. Please explain....thanks!!
Old 12-29-2018, 10:37 PM
Emmdmd
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by Rsharpatx

It’s a plug-in device that keeps the AFM from kicking into 4-cylinder mode, thus less abuse to your TC and decreasing the possibility of a TC failure.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:23 AM
Rsharpatx
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Emmdmd

It’s a plug-in device that keeps the AFM from kicking into 4-cylinder mode, thus less abuse to your TC and decreasing the possibility of a TC failure.
ordered one tonight. Good by annoying 4cyc!
Emmdmd (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 11:21 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

In the stock tune the touring and sport models change the shift feel/speed especially at WOT upshifts.

it's a slushbox auto. No way to fix it. Maybe put a set of 4.10s out back lol. That's about the only way to do it. The rear gear has a lot to do with it.

thanks CAFE.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:53 AM
tzoid9
Drifting

I think I have my answer, based on the owner's manual, regarding the various driving modes and when the cylinder deactivation feature chimes in with the A8 transmission. In my opinion, the owner's manual could have been written a little bit clearer, but here is what I think it says on page 200....
With an A8 transmission, the cylinder deactivation feature can occur in any of the driving modes when the transmission is functioning as an "Automatic" transmission. When you operate the transmission in "Manual" mode with the paddle shifts, the cylinder deactivation mode is shut off except if you have the driving mode in ECO.

So, even though my car has a whopping 2 miles on the odometer, that cylinder deactivation feature will drive me nuts, so like Rsharpatx above, I just ordered one of these range devices.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:03 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark045
Has anyone have any information on changes/upgrades to the 19’ ZO6 A8 transmissions , IE Faster Shifts ? Thank You

A8 already shifts lightning quick when it matters, faster than most DCTs. It sucks as an on-demand paddle shifted trans but why would you paddle-shift an 8 speed with 650 lb-ft of torque?

This is an old, well beaten argument, but the A8 upshifts near instant at WOT under load when it matters.

It certainly shifts a lot faster than any mullet manual, that's for sure. Manuals might tickle your fancy, but they serve no meaningful purpose these days. You might like them and want one and that's super, but they're not used in racing and aren't superior in any metric. And while the A8 in the Stingray is a bit weak, in the Z forums I see more complaints about the manual being notchy than I do about the A8. And everyone needs an MGW shifter right away...

BTW, I say that as someone who owns a DCT, SCT, TKO-600, M-20 and M-21 (no M-22 though). Each has its place and era. I just don't think a manual belongs in a modern car, but if you only have one fun car and want a manual, screw what I say and get what you want, that's all that matters.

People that think it bears any relation to "slushbox" or a Powerglide are merely telegraphing the fact they've never driven one, or the last one was an A6 maybe. They sucked.

I'd like to drive the Merc 9 speed for some comparison, but never have...

[Edit: The A8 had it's issues in the base case, but this is the Z subforum.]

Last edited by davepl; 12-30-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:09 PM
lupicon
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Any reco's on brand(s) of range device?
Old 12-30-2018, 12:16 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
In the stock tune the touring and sport models change the shift feel/speed especially at WOT upshifts.

it's a slushbox auto. No way to fix it. Maybe put a set of 4.10s out back lol. That's about the only way to do it. The rear gear has a lot to do with it.

thanks CAFE.
Actually, the overall ratio in first gear is much lower on the A8 than it is on the manual. 10.98/1 (auto) versus 7.83/1 (manual).
Old 12-30-2018, 12:20 PM
Emmdmd
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by lupicon
Any reco's on brand(s) of range device?
https://rangetechnology.com/afm-disabler/
lupicon (12-31-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 12:29 PM
Emmdmd
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by tzoid9
I think I have my answer, based on the owner's manual, regarding the various driving modes and when the cylinder deactivation feature chimes in with the A8 transmission. In my opinion, the owner's manual could have been written a little bit clearer, but here is what I think it says on page 200....
With an A8 transmission, the cylinder deactivation feature can occur in any of the driving modes when the transmission is functioning as an "Automatic" transmission. When you operate the transmission in "Manual" mode with the paddle shifts, the cylinder deactivation mode is shut off except if you have the driving mode in ECO.

So, even though my car has a whopping 2 miles on the odometer, that cylinder deactivation feature will drive me nuts, so like Rsharpatx above, I just ordered one of these range devices.
Exactly. So you can save yourself $200 on the unit by switching to manual and paddle shifting, but to be honest, the lag drives me crazy.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:33 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Emmdmd

Exactly. So you can save yourself $200 on the unit by switching to manual and paddle shifting, but to be honest, the lag drives me crazy.
You can learn the lag. Shift execution on a manual isn't instantaneous either, and requires some learning.

Get notified of new replies

To '19 ZO6 A8 Changes ?

Old 12-30-2018, 12:45 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

The Range Device is sold on eBay, for what that's worth. I just ordered one and the cost was $143 and change, including tax and shipping. I'm sure I won't run the car with the paddles that often, I never did with my GT-R, but that was a twin clutch transmission. Regarding the Mercedes Benz 9 speed, I bought a new, 2019 C coupe with the 9 speed automatic. It shifts great in traffic and is pretty quick on full acceleration. My previous toy was a Jaguar F type R (supercharged 5 L engine, 550HP, AWD) with an 8 speed automatic (not a twin clutch unit). That shifted great, about like the M/B and if the Corvette's A8 is as nice, I'll be thrilled.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:50 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by tzoid9
The Range Device is sold on eBay, for what that's worth. I just ordered one and the cost was $143 and change, including tax and shipping. I'm sure I won't run the car with the paddles that often, I never did with my GT-R, but that was a twin clutch transmission. Regarding the Mercedes Benz 9 speed, I bought a new, 2019 C coupe with the 9 speed automatic. It shifts great in traffic and is pretty quick on full acceleration. My previous toy was a Jaguar F type R (supercharged 5 L engine, 550HP, AWD) with an 8 speed automatic (not a twin clutch unit). That shifted great, about like the M/B and if the Corvette's A8 is as nice, I'll be thrilled.
Hate to burst your bubble but the Range device they sell online at Amazon are the old version of the Range and were problematic. You will need to return it or send the unit to Range Technology to get the upgraded firmware installed. The old version was known to have a higher parasitic draw on the battery when the car is not running.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:11 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

MMD says......."Hate to burst your bubble but the Range device they sell online at Amazon are the old version of the Range and were problematic. You will need to return it or send the unit to Range Technology to get the upgraded firmware installed. The old version was known to have a higher parasitic draw on the battery when the car is not running."

You may or may not have burst my bubble. I bought mine on eBay and it was titled...."Range Technology RA003 Active Fuel Management Disable Device for GM Vehicles" and it is eBay item # 123381302381. It sure looks like the newest and greatest that Range Technology manufactures, maybe you can confirm that for me. Amazon's product appears to be the "Blue" one which is the same unit that the manufacturer's web site shows. Is your information from a reliable source?

Quick Reply: '19 ZO6 A8 Changes ?