Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Dilemma of Borla vs Corsa!!

 
Old 01-02-2019, 03:11 PM
  #41  
Dr Bob
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Posts: 29
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Sound improvement with Borla over stock???
Dr Bob is offline  
Old 01-02-2019, 03:20 PM
  #42  
JAYNO20
CF Senior Member
 
JAYNO20's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2014
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 652
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
Thanx for the offer Justin! I live in Kennett Square, PA, a suburb of Philadelphia. I’m afraid that by the time we get together in “Pennsy” we may be in the middle of a big snow storm! LOL! I would like your thoughts of picking the Borla pipes over the Corsa. I’m a regular fan and subscriber of your channell!
Guys, if you haven’t checked out Justin’s channell, “Horse Power Obsessed”, please do so!! Really Top Notch!! Dr Bob
Thanks, Bob, I appreciate that! There is definitely a sound improvement over stock with the Borla Xpipe. The biggest difference is at WOT it's a good bit louder with a much more refined sounding GROWL.
JAYNO20 is offline  
Old 01-02-2019, 10:26 PM
  #43  
lupicon
CF Senior Member
 
lupicon's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 169
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts
Default

OP--some good advice through this entire thread.
I have Borla and like it, but note that it WILL change the TONE. There is loudness and tone to consider here. Many on here want to deepen the tone and make it more "muscle like" which is understandable.
To be honest, I like both tones and sometimes miss the higher pitch scream at WOT with the stock setup. The nice thing about these C7's is they do play in 'exotic' territory--both in performance and looks, so I personally don't believe there is anything 'wrong' with the stock tone, let alone what Corsa does to enhance the scream. It suits the car in my own view.

The Borla sounds mean and mad and has its own particular charm, but in a way it 'cheapens' that exotic sound too. One thing you want to avoid is sounding like a UPS truck. Not suggesting the Borla's do this of course, but they move the car toward more of rumble and less refined sound.

I like my Borla X pipe and between cost, weight savings and sound it's hard to beat as far as X pipes go. I'm happy I changed out the stock pipe, but if I did it over again I might do Corsa just to amp up the high scream pitch which was a great sound as well.

Either way, you cant go wrong with either as many have stated.

Last edited by lupicon; 01-02-2019 at 10:29 PM.
lupicon is offline  
Old 01-03-2019, 02:41 AM
  #44  
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor
 
MerakiAutoworks's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Location: Los Angeles California
Posts: 12,024
Liked 279 Times in 262 Posts
Default

We have the Borla in stock!!

-Josh
MerakiAutoworks is offline  
Old 01-03-2019, 12:55 PM
  #45  
C7/Z06 Man
CF Senior Member
 
C7/Z06 Man's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,842
Liked 313 Times in 249 Posts
Default If your looking for the best "performance" the X-pipe counts.

Originally Posted by lupicon View Post

Either way, you cant go wrong with either as many have stated.
In the real world (dragstrip/street) where it really counts!!! The Corsa slowed 'my car' down compared to stock; check previous post here and ones that I have posted in the past on this subject where I was looking for an increase in performance from the corsa mainly due to the larger 3" tubing. Well, I was wrong.

I have never tried the Borla so I don't know. However being that the borla uses the same size tubing as stock (original GM engineering) without any converters there is a good chance that this X-pipe would improve the performance along with being the lightest of the three i.e. stock, corsa, borla.

Note: From what I have read & seen (Z06, etc.) the manufactures sometimes reduce the sizing of the exhaust tubing the further it gets away from the source (exhaust manifolds) to keep the exhaust flow speed up; as the exhaust gases cool they shrink (less volume) and slow down so reducing the diameter keeps the exhaust 'flow' speed up. I'm sure many things go into the design for the best performance i.e. hp (flow), length, diameter, bends, etc. As they say "BIGGER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER".

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 01-12-2019 at 12:40 AM.
C7/Z06 Man is offline  
Old 01-03-2019, 01:01 PM
  #46  
JAYNO20
CF Senior Member
 
JAYNO20's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2014
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 652
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
Thanx for the offer Justin! I live in Kennett Square, PA, a suburb of Philadelphia. I’m afraid that by the time we get together in “Pennsy” we may be in the middle of a big snow storm! LOL! I would like your thoughts of picking the Borla pipes over the Corsa. I’m a regular fan and subscriber of your channell!
Guys, if you haven’t checked out Justin’s channell, “Horse Power Obsessed”, please do so!! Really Top Notch!! Dr Bob
Also the reasons I went with Borla over Corsa were: lighter weight, cheaper, better performance, better sound (IMO), and there was a local guy selling one.

After hearing both in person I think the Borla has a more "American V8" sound. There isn't a HUGE difference between the 2 in sound so if you are doing it specifically for sound you can't go wrong either way. There are a few dyno sheets out there that show the Borla does add a little more power over the Corsa so if that's a concern that's the route I'd go (and DID go)
JAYNO20 is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by JAYNO20:
Dr Bob (01-03-2019), RobGZ06 (01-03-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 07:22 AM
  #47  
Dr Bob
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Posts: 29
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Great to be back in the Corvette community!! Thanks again for everyone’s input with the thread. The Borla 60547 was ordered yesterday. After install I’ll give you guys my “two cents” with a little feedback!!
Dr Bob is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr Bob:
C7/Z06 Man (01-04-2019), JAYNO20 (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 10:30 PM
  #48  
MMD
CF Senior Member
 
MMD's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,814
Liked 337 Times in 243 Posts
Default

best Vette exhaust ever.


MMD is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 11:39 PM
  #49  
Torch-Red-Z06
CF Senior Member
 
Torch-Red-Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2000
Location: TX
Posts: 2,992
Liked 114 Times in 85 Posts
Default

^^^ lmao

Last edited by Steven Bell; 01-13-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Torch-Red-Z06 is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 01:56 PM
  #50  
Dr Bob
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Posts: 29
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

The exhaust “dilemma” is over for me. I had the Borla X Pipe installed this morning. My first impression is that the Borla generally “ENHANCES” the sound. When I first started the engine post install I was pleasantly surprised. I was concerned that the result would be that of a typical “muscle car”. But as Justin has stated earlier we have a high end sports car and not so much of a typical muscle car. As such, for me at least, that is precisely what I wanted...an enhancement! The Borla amplifies and complements just enough!!
Dr Bob is offline  
The following users liked this post: Dr Bob
JAYNO20 (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 01:59 PM
  #51  
JAYNO20
CF Senior Member
 
JAYNO20's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2014
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 652
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
The exhaust “dilemma” is over for me. I had the Borla X Pipe installed this morning. My first impression is that the Borla generally “ENHANCES” the sound. When I first started the engine post install I was pleasantly surprised. I was concerned that the result would be that of a typical “muscle car”. But as Justin has stated earlier we have a high end sports car and not so much of a typical muscle car. As such, for me at least, that is precisely what I wanted...an enhancement! The Borla amplifies and complements just enough!!
Well put! I totally agree!
JAYNO20 is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 07:37 PM
  #52  
SuperdadZ06
CF Senior Member
 
SuperdadZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Posts: 698
Liked 194 Times in 133 Posts
Default

Thanks Dr Bob, this goes along way in helping me with my own decision
SuperdadZ06 is offline  
The following users liked this post: SuperdadZ06
JAYNO20 (01-11-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 08:32 PM
  #53  
ONEBADZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ONEBADZ's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 557
Liked 74 Times in 52 Posts
Default

I went with the Borla 60547 X pipe and the Atak axle back with the NPP and black tips. Bought it from Josh at Meraki Autoworks. I Love the sound. Bought the mild to wild switch used from a forum member but I always leave it on wild.
Absolutely no drone whatsoever. To me the factory axle back with the 60547 only sounded good when I got on it. With the NPP fuse pulled. I wanted that deep rumble louder sound all the way through the power band and at idle. The Atak does that. I had the Borla S Type II with Kooks headers on my C6 GS and was very happy with it also.

Last edited by ONEBADZ; 01-12-2019 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Added
ONEBADZ is offline  
The following users liked this post: ONEBADZ
MerakiAutoworks (01-13-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 10:36 PM
  #54  
Plstxmd
CF Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2015
Posts: 68
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Look at the line speed
Plstxmd is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 07:17 AM
  #55  
Toddiesel
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2016
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 804
Liked 84 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ONEBADZ View Post
I went with the Borla 60547 X pipe and the Atak axle back with the NPP and black tips. Bought it from Josh at Meraki Autoworks. I Love the sound. Bought the mild to wild switch used from a forum member but I always leave it on wild.
Absolutely no drone whatsoever. To me the factory axle back with the 60547 only sounded good when I got on it. With the NPP fuse pulled. I wanted that deep rumble louder sound all the way through the power band and at idle. The Atak does that. I had the Borla S Type II with Kooks headers on my C6 GS and was very happy with it also.
Why spend the extra money to keep NPP if you're going to keep it on "wild" at all times? Seems like you went with the most expensive options. Hell, even if you wanted to keep NPP for resale and just always leave the valves open, you could have saved a couple of bucks (plus install time) and just pulled the fuse.
Toddiesel is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 08:04 AM
  #56  
RobGZ06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,543
Liked 345 Times in 289 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ONEBADZ View Post
I went with the Borla 60547 X pipe and the Atak axle back with the NPP and black tips. Bought it from Josh at Meraki Autoworks. I Love the sound. Bought the mild to wild switch used from a forum member but I always leave it on wild.
Absolutely no drone whatsoever. To me the factory axle back with the 60547 only sounded good when I got on it. With the NPP fuse pulled. I wanted that deep rumble louder sound all the way through the power band and at idle. The Atak does that. I had the Borla S Type II with Kooks headers on my C6 GS and was very happy with it also.
Hey any pics of the C6?

Only because i had a C6 GS with kooks headers and a borla s type that i traded in. Always wondered where my old car ended up at lol
RobGZ06 is online now  
Old 01-13-2019, 10:44 AM
  #57  
ONEBADZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ONEBADZ's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 557
Liked 74 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Toddiesel View Post
Why spend the extra money to keep NPP if you're going to keep it on "wild" at all times? Seems like you went with the most expensive options. Hell, even if you wanted to keep NPP for resale and just always leave the valves open, you could have saved a couple of bucks (plus install time) and just pulled the fuse.
I thought I explained why. I installed the Borla X pipe with the factory NPP exhaust first and ran it with the fuse pulled. I only got the sound and volume I wanted when I was in the throttle hard. I wanted the rumble and volume all the time though the whole power band and normal driving. One big reason I went with the Borla axle back is because they offer it with NPP. I think it's a pretty cool and like to have the option if I need to quiet it down some. The Atak is much louder than factory. I just haven't done that very much. The system with NPP wasn't that much more $$ than the the one without. I also wanted to replace the tips with the black ones. I'm taking all of the stainless Chrome stuff off of my car. That's why I choose to go the way I did on my car. But hell if you're happy with the factory exhaust with the fuse pulled and need to save the money then by all means go that way with your car.
ONEBADZ is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 10:55 AM
  #58  
ONEBADZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ONEBADZ's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 557
Liked 74 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RobGZ06 View Post
Hey any pics of the C6?

Only because i had a C6 GS with kooks headers and a borla s type that i traded in. Always wondered where my old car ended up at lol
Sure, here's a couple. I installed the headers and Borla. I traded it for the Z in Montgomery AL on Memorial Day last year.






Last edited by ONEBADZ; 01-13-2019 at 01:17 PM.
ONEBADZ is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 12:55 PM
  #59  
BLK06ZO6
CF Senior Member
 
BLK06ZO6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Posts: 106
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ONEBADZ View Post


I thought I explained why. I installed the Borla X pipe with the factory NPP exhaust first and ran it with the fuse pulled. I only got the sound and volume I wanted when I was in the throttle hard. I wanted the rumble and volume all the time though the whole power band and normal driving. One big reason I went with the Borla axle back is because they offer it with NPP. I think it's a pretty cool and like to have the option if I need to quiet it down some. The Atak is much louder than factory. I just haven't done that very much. The system with NPP wasn't that much more $$ than the the one without. I also wanted to replace the tips with the black ones. I'm taking all of the stainless Chrome stuff off of my car. That's why I choose to go the way I did on my car. But hell if you're happy with the factory exhaust with the fuse pulled and need to save the money then by all means go that way with your car.
I think you absolutely made the right move. If I had gone with Borla I would have done the same thing. Its great to have NPP function just in case you want it, even if you don’t use it
BLK06ZO6 is offline  
The following users liked this post: BLK06ZO6
ONEBADZ (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 01:27 PM
  #60  
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor
 
MerakiAutoworks's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Location: Los Angeles California
Posts: 12,024
Liked 279 Times in 262 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ONEBADZ View Post
I went with the Borla 60547 X pipe and the Atak axle back with the NPP and black tips. Bought it from Josh at Meraki Autoworks. I Love the sound. Bought the mild to wild switch used from a forum member but I always leave it on wild.
Absolutely no drone whatsoever. To me the factory axle back with the 60547 only sounded good when I got on it. With the NPP fuse pulled. I wanted that deep rumble louder sound all the way through the power band and at idle. The Atak does that. I had the Borla S Type II with Kooks headers on my C6 GS and was very happy with it also.
Thank you sir!

-Josh
MerakiAutoworks is offline  
The following users liked this post: MerakiAutoworks
ONEBADZ (01-13-2019)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Dilemma of Borla vs Corsa!!


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: