C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z06 vs C6 Z06 - My definitive position

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 04:11 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
lol everyone complaining about the "high tech" cluster the C7 has. It's not even that high tech, comparing to other cars of equal value or even less. The C7 tech is almost like a CD player compared to like android auto or apple car play.

Even base audi A4's have a SLEW of tech in their cluster with way more options and stuff to scroll through. But the mentality of what i'm reading in this thread is basically saying they won't get a new car because it has all the high tech stuff? So i guess you guys are just going to buy pre 2006 cars from now on??
Not sure what Audis you've been looking at, but the ones I've seen recently, as well as other cars from Mazda, Nissan, BMW, Merceds all have pretty crappy dashes and gauges. Half of the cars I'm seeing nowadays don't even have a nice infotainment screen. It looks like they said "oh ****, we forgot a display... well, just take this tablet and glue it on top of the dash. that'll have to do". Hell right now I'm in a rental. An Infiniti QX56. A LUXURY suv and its "tech" is just outright garbage. Nothing stays on after you turn the car off. The climate control "auto" function might as well be controlled by a hamster with down's syndrome, and the center console electronics look like they were put together by said hamster. The infotainment screen is far from intuitive and doesn't look sleek at all and the gauges look like they're from a 90s Acura. I'd love to see some of these vehicles you're referring to that supposedly blow the C7 out of the water

Last edited by Toddiesel; 01-06-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:16 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,197 Likes on 2,142 Posts

lol wait are you really saying the C7 tech is better than the germans??? LOL

LMAO......breathe.....ok....LMAO

I know we own C7's so obviously it's the greatest car on the planet but please go experience other cars, not your rental infiniti which is average at best, so you're making a poor comparison anyway.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:18 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Standard A4.

LIGHT YEARS more advanced than what we got in our cars.

Our cars are known for it's performance, not the tech.
The following users liked this post:
R&D (03-27-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 04:22 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Ok I'm not watching a 17 minute video to see a dash but here's a brand new BMW (yeah, germans) interior. Garbage. But I don't want to derail the thread so let's just say we have different opinions and move on. Feel free to take it to PM, or start a new thread if you feel there's more to say. EDIT: also I looked up the A4, also has a slapped on tablet for infotainment. Gross

Look at that slapped on tablet infotainment and analog gauges!!

Last edited by Toddiesel; 01-06-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:32 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

lol everyone complaining about the "high tech" cluster the C7 has. It's not even that high tech, comparing to other cars of equal value or even less. The C7 tech is almost like a CD player compared to like android auto or apple car play.

Even base audi A4's have a SLEW of tech in their cluster with way more options and stuff to scroll through. But the mentality of what i'm reading in this thread is basically saying they won't get a new car because it has all the high tech stuff? So i guess you guys are just going to buy pre 2006 cars from now on??
I'm going to forget about ever buying a C8 & dump this C7 since they're way too advanced. You're not going back far enough with pre-2006. I think I'll buy another '93 C4 like my first Vette. That's technology I can live with & besides then I will be able to play my cassette tapes.

NOT.

Last edited by Oneslackr; 01-06-2019 at 04:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-06-2019, 04:44 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Ok I'm not watching a 17 minute video to see a dash but here's a brand new BMW (yeah, germans) interior. Garbage. But I don't want to derail the thread so let's just say we have different opinions and move on. Feel free to take it to PM, or start a new thread if you feel there's more to say. EDIT: also I looked up the A4, also has a slapped on tablet for infotainment. Gross

Look at that slapped on tablet infotainment and analog gauges!!

Didn't know you're OCD, there's enough info and visuals to see how good that A4 cluster is, in the first 3 minutes of the video.

We're not talking about interior layout and design, we're talking about TECH. So if the slap on tablet style is a turn off for you, that's your opinion.

The A4 still has better tech than the C7. And i actually driven the new A4 so i can make the comparison. You really need to go out there and drive some other cars and not just look at pictures online.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:47 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Oneslackr
I'm going to forget about ever buying a C8 & dump this C7 since they're way too advanced. Your not going back far enough with pre-2006. I think I'll buy another '93 C4 like my first Vette. That's technology I can live with & besides then I will be able to play my cassette tapes.

NOT.
lol like i said previously. C7 owners will have a heart attack if they have to go anywhere near the C8 section of this forum.

You think the C7 has good tech, wait for the C8. Well actually nah, GM never really had good tech, in any of their cars lol. Gotta leave it up to the germans to get that good stuff.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:00 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Even base audi A4's have a SLEW of tech in their cluster with way more options and stuff to scroll through.
As far as I'm concerned, that's just one more cause of distracted driving, and drivers taking their eyes off the road. Hopefully, car displays and function selections inspired by smart phones is a fad that will pass, at least until cars are totally self-driving.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:10 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

I'm actually OK with the graphics quality, and the new track mode dashboard works well with all numbers finally listed somewhere besides the Touring dash. MY biggest problem is the REFRESH RATE. It is incredibly slow, and in many cases, I find myself reading the wrong number when I take a glance during any spirited driving. Why would they make the data refresh at 2 Hz or whatever the rate is????

The Track dash available on '18+ models. Finally, I have an option that provides everything besides the touring mode tech info page. That said, I think the compression of low RPMs is a bit overkill. I'd much rather have the range finish sooner or grow less, and have usable reading of 1-2 RPM range. It is, after all, the range that you stay at most of the time on the highway. I switched the HUD to sport mode look, which provides me the much-needed clear RPM reading.

Last edited by X25; 01-07-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:38 AM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I have a 16. I wonder if the display can be updated to include what the 18+ shows, since it is only software, presumably?? Will have to check with the dealer.

Last edited by tonypittman; 01-07-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:07 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by X25
I'm actually OK with the graphics quality, and the new track mode dashboard works well with all numbers finally listed somewhere besides the Touring dash. MY biggest problem is the REFRESH RATE. It is incredibly slow, and in many cases, I find myself reading the wrong number when I take a glance during any spirited driving. Why would they make the screen refresh at 2 Hz or whatever the rate is????
bahahaha! 2Hz. I'm sure the refresh rate of the SCREEN is 60 or maybe even 120Hz (though that's probably pushing it). The data refresh does seem pretty slow, maybe once a second. I don't know if you've noticed from bouncing around in the infotainment stuff that the CPU powering that thing is basically a hamster on a wheel. So dedicating CPU cycles to put out that info several times a second might be too much. In that regard, I will concede to @RobGZ06 that the "tech" isn't that great. Based on what he's saying about the Audi, it HAS to have a better processor than the C7.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:09 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by tonypittman
I have a 16. I wonder if the display can be updated to include what the 18+ shows, since it is only software, presumably?? Will have to check with the dealer.
Someone mentioned this as well, that it CANNOT be updated to what the 18+ has. There was no proof provided though, so certainly doesn't hurt to check with the dealer. If you find out it can be done, do let us know as I'd like to do it on my 16 as well
tonypittman (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 02:12 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

bahahaha! 2Hz. I'm sure the refresh rate of the SCREEN is 60 or maybe even 120Hz (though that's probably pushing it). The data refresh does seem pretty slow, maybe once a second. I don't know if you've noticed from bouncing around in the infotainment stuff that the CPU powering that thing is basically a hamster on a wheel. So dedicating CPU cycles to put out that info several times a second might be too much. In that regard, I will concede to @RobGZ06 that the "tech" isn't that great. Based on what he's saying about the Audi, it HAS to have a better processor than the C7.
Yeah, I meant the data refresh rate, not the screen : )

Anyway, it's awful. Re: Audi, I don't like that design, either. The combination of a big screen + real physical gauges look a bit weird to me. C7, as well as my RAM truck is like that, too, but they somehow look better.

Last edited by X25; 01-07-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:20 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Someone mentioned this as well, that it CANNOT be updated to what the 18+ has. There was no proof provided though, so certainly doesn't hurt to check with the dealer. If you find out it can be done, do let us know as I'd like to do it on my 16 as well
I wanted to asked that too Tadge, but was turned down by admin (jvp), citing Tadge's quote that they will not provide updates to previous MY cars for every change, due to costly testing. I replied, stating they could charge for it, and we'd gladly pay it, but couldn't even get through the admin.
tonypittman (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 04:52 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

The C7 tech is fine, for what it is. But other cars are leaps and bounds ahead of it. Again the C7 isn't known for it's tech. It does have tech, because it is a newer generation and definitely light years ahead of the C6 obviously but other cars, hell even a camry has amazing tech.

The refresh rate is better on other cars (or we'll just say audi to keep the discussion on topic to what i was originally talking about), the resolution is better, the font is better, the overall display is better, it has more menu options etc.

It's just a better integrated unit. Maybe you think the C7 has better tech because it has track mode. The other modes, like touring and sport are kindergarten tech compared to an audi.

Seriously go to your audi dealer and just go to any of their cars and play with the electronics. Even if you have no interest or intention to buy or test drive the car, just go and experience what other cars are doing for their tech.

And you'll see why it is much more superior to what we have. Hopefully the C8 gets up'ed a notch on tech as well. I think they will be.
tonypittman (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 08:47 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB
I absolutely loved the C7Z, everything about the car, however, it was winter time and being a daily driver with seldom dry or warm streets I really couldn't use full throttle for many months. Once I could, suddenly the Honeymoon was over....I did not like what I perceived as a throttle response delay courtesy of the supercharger.
What is throttle response delay courtesy of the supercharger?
Old 01-07-2019, 09:35 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by rbartick
What is throttle response delay courtesy of the supercharger?
If I give a very rapid hit to the throttle in 1st or 2nd gear (not necessarily flooring it, say maybe 1/2 or 3/4 throttle) with the LS7 there is immediate throttle response as evidenced by either hazing the tires or a very nice setting your checks back. With the Supercharged vehicle I would feel a very momentary delay in how the power came on and then all hell would break loose. It seemed as if the SC'd motor had to make sure that it understood the command and then would respond. Most people probably don't notice but unfortunately I notice EVERYTHING lol! I'm told that most all SC'd motors do this, I guess that since no one really complained about it in the C6 ZR1 I didn't think it would be an issue with the C7Z.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 vs C6 Z06 - My definitive position

Old 01-07-2019, 10:08 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

What you described goes against the design of a belt driven supercharger and it makes no sense. You are describing turbo lag and my car does nothing like that.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:40 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by rbartick
What you described goes against the design of a belt driven supercharger and it makes no sense. You are describing turbo lag and my car does nothing like that.
100% agree. Sounds like some phantom turbo lag. I think it's psychological. I went from a C7 stingray (obviously NA) to a C7 Z06 and there is 0 difference in throttle response. It's immediate on both.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:43 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB
I'm told that most all SC'd motors do this,...
They don't. I've had quite a few.

You might be feeling something about the way the car is tuned, for emissions or toque management reasons (drivetrain lengevity). The throttle doesn't initially open all the way on the factory tune.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 01-08-2019 at 08:32 AM.

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 vs C6 Z06 - My definitive position