C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z06 vs C6 Z06 - My definitive position

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 09:37 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 258 Posts

Man, I thought this was a comparison of C6 and C7, not discussion of dual clutch trans (which are WAY overrated and can actually screw you depending on how you drive since it has to predict your driving behavior) and what the C8 will be like. I must have hopped in the wrong thread. My bad...
Old 01-05-2019, 11:27 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06

there is nothing wrong with the gearing in the auto on the z06,its the trans. It's too slow on the upshift and non existent on the downshifts.
What is it that you say is non-existent on the downshifts?

Old 01-05-2019, 11:33 AM
Clspht
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

Full throttle up shifts in the A8 are as good or better as anything on the road... Find somethin else Giz..
Old 01-05-2019, 01:55 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Ok...to get us back on track...

I just finished the interior comparison video. Let me know what you think in the comments. After interior, I will move on to the exterior (street/curb appeal) and then on to the must hotly debated area: overall performance. Enjoy.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:08 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,137 Posts

Originally Posted by Clspht
Full throttle up shifts in the A8 are as good or better as anything on the road... Find somethin else Giz..

It is good at wide open throttle, definitely not better than a DCT but probably just "as good", BUT.....AT WIDE OPEN THROTTLE.

Do a shift in any other rpm and it's slow and sluggish. Why does this seem like new news to everyone, especially those who actually own an auto z06??

There are tons of videos and reports out there complaining about the auto and overheating. Sometimes one more annoying than the other, or sometimes they complain about both. And these are coming from unbiased third parties.

Drive a car with a proper DCT and go crazy with the shifting, manually or auto, and you'll see the difference, in ANY rpm, any gear, upshift and downshift. It's lightning quick 100% of the time.

Not like the A8 which is quick one time. On the upshift at WOT.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:50 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by tonypittman
Ok...to get us back on track...

I just finished the interior comparison video. Let me know what you think in the comments. After interior, I will move on to the exterior (street/curb appeal) and then on to the must hotly debated area: overall performance. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/UJRbd_9TTQI
Tony - this is good analysis. --
C6 - analog gauges more focused as i think you mention around the driver this is better IMO then the c7 -- less busy, C6 Easier to get in and out of.
C7- seats more comfortable, PDR great feature, The apple car play, GPS etc etc center dash is better. -- but when I am in my hobby fun car I want to get get away from this kind of trifling tech minutiae.
looking forward to watching the other videos.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:53 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
C6 - analog gauges more focused as i think you mention around the driver this is better IMO then the c7 -- less busy, C6 Easier to get in and out of.
C7- seats more comfortable, PDR great feature, The apple car play, GPS etc etc center dash is better. -- but when I am in my hobby fun car I want to get get away from this kind of trifling tech minutiae.
Thank you. "Great minds......."

I have a feeling....we may both be seeing this overall comparison through the same lens. More to come!
Old 01-05-2019, 11:40 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you all for watching. More of the comparison to come. Don’t forget to subscribe to the channel so you don’t miss the next upload. Just crossed 100 subs... THANKS!
The channel

Old 01-06-2019, 10:03 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

I don't think the C7 gauges are busy at all. And if you want, you can always put the display in sport mode which gives you more of that analog feel but fewer gauges since you get a digital speedo (which I think is better) and you can turn off the "extra" info and just see a big ole number right in the center for that speed. Plus the HUD is a QUITE nice feature (not sure if the C6 had it or not, but I am guessing not). I MUCH prefer the customization so you can have the gauges look exactly what you want and display whatever info you're wanting to see at the time. I also REALLY like the S2000 like tach of the track mode and the shift lights are pretty dang sweet. I won't argue performance, but from an interior standpoint, the C7 wins by a landslide for me. As far as the "tech minutiae", I don't think it really has any that is obtrusive like a lot of cars these days. Things like adaptive cruise, lane assist, auto windshield wipers... all the really annoying nannies. Opinions vary though
Old 01-06-2019, 10:23 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
I don't think the C7 gauges are busy at all. And if you want, you can always put the display in sport mode which gives you more of that analog feel but fewer gauges since you get a digital speedo (which I think is better) and you can turn off the "extra" info and just see a big ole number right in the center for that speed. Plus the HUD is a QUITE nice feature (not sure if the C6 had it or not, but I am guessing not). I MUCH prefer the customization so you can have the gauges look exactly what you want and display whatever info you're wanting to see at the time. I also REALLY like the S2000 like tach of the track mode and the shift lights are pretty dang sweet. I won't argue performance, but from an interior standpoint, the C7 wins by a landslide for me. As far as the "tech minutiae", I don't think it really has any that is obtrusive like a lot of cars these days. Things like adaptive cruise, lane assist, auto windshield wipers... all the really annoying nannies. Opinions vary though
lane assist and blind spot alerts would be a welcome feature for the car with a simple push button to turn them on or off. The dashboard is a busy conundrum with too many features and options and choices. It is silly.

I did forget to mention the backup camera and curb camera are welcome and useful features the c6z didn’t have. The hud is better as well.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 01-06-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:31 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

lane assist and blind spot alerts would be a welcome feature for the car with a simple push button to turn them on or off. The dashboard is a busy conundrum with too many features and options and choices. It is silly.

I did forget to mention the backup camera and curb camera are welcome and useful features the c6z didn’t have.
Blind spot alert would indeed be nice, though I'd prefer integrated blind spot mirrors like the Mustang has. I don't fall asleep at the wheel or text and drive, so the lane assist would be a useless feature for me. Since I don't signal when I change lanes (if you do around here, people will speed up to try to prevent you from getting over) it would just fight me every time I changed lanes, so it's definitely not something I ever want. Amen on the curb cameras. Those things are a splitter saver, for sure, and keep you from looking like an idiot because you parked 4 feet from the curb to be cautious. Backup camera is fine, but as of 2019, it's a federally required feature on all cars, so that's no longer worth mentioning, unfortunately.

Last edited by Toddiesel; 01-06-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:22 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rbartick
C7 gauges in sport mode works ok for me, like the picture below (not my picture).

It is not "trifling tech minutiae", but I would have preferred if the analog speedo on the left was an analog tach. I'm driving with 3 speedos active (left side analog, center digital, and HUD).

actually that is a pretty good sport option. I would set it up with oil temp in the center and oil pressure and coolant temp on the pocket gauges. Then have that as the default in performance mode. Now I just need to go sit in the car for 5 minutes and figure out how to do it. If I want to use the manual make that 15 minutes.

To quote you “driving with 3 speedometers” is what happens when you have a young tech geek doing design without appropriate adult supervision.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 01-06-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:23 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

C7 gauges in sport mode works ok for me, like the picture below (not my picture).

It is not "trifling tech minutiae", but I would have preferred if the analog speedo on the left was an analog tach. I'm driving with 3 speedos active (left side analog, center digital, and HUD). I would also prefer an analog water temp gauge instead of the analog boost gauge. A selectable digital boost gauge display in the center would have been fine.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:32 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

I agree that the analog speedo is a bit of wasted space. I guesssince you can turn off the digital speedo, they wanted you to have the ability to see your speed if you do so. I wouldn't prefer an analog tach there, but definitely oil and water temp gauges to mirror the fuel and boost gauges on the right. I like to reserve my pocket gauges for the hp gauge so I KNOW I'm putting down my power! Kidding of course. Can't believe that's an actual gauge you can stick in there. If temp gauges replaced the analog speedo, I could use the pocket gauges for oil pressure and voltage and have pretty much everything covered.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:53 PM
Cercone
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Man, I thought this was a comparison of C6 and C7, not discussion of dual clutch trans (which are WAY overrated and can actually screw you depending on how you drive since it has to predict your driving behavior) and what the C8 will be like. I must have hopped in the wrong thread. My bad...
I agree with you. Look how much better cars right now do with dual clutch vs the C7Z on the track...almost crickets. Just like the mid engine, in the past it was a huge upgrade, now it’s a minor upgrade and much more expensive to work on. Hell mustangs gt350s do pretty good now with their Old suspension/frame /design. Sorry back to topic.

Last edited by Cercone; 01-06-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:18 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

In the base LT1 cars that analog speedo is a waste if space. Only compounded in the LT4 cars imo.

iirc it was done so "we" could have that screen or screens that have no digital speedo and all other gauges and that digital tach in sport mode. Waste..

I agree should have been a tach and keep that digital speed up somewhere so it fulfills the legal obligation.

but we can't have it all.

I loved my C6 gauges and HUD was fine

I wish the C7 had an option for the same type of analog (although digitally imposed) gauges that the C6 had.

good job OP.
The following users liked this post:
tonypittman (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 03:20 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you all for the commentary. Very good thoughts. More to come with this compare!

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 vs C6 Z06 - My definitive position

Old 01-06-2019, 03:32 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

It is not "trifling tech minutiae", but I would have preferred if the analog speedo on the left was an analog tach. I'm driving with 3 speedos active (left side analog, center digital, and HUD).
An analog tach in place of the speedo would have been good. I always think it's a waste to have my speed displayed in 3 different places too. I hardly ever even look at the analog speedo.

I would also prefer an analog water temp gauge instead of the analog boost gauge. A selectable digital boost gauge display in the center would have been fine.
It's not analog but I have my coolant temp set as my right pocket gauge because I don't like displaying the temperature in the center the way it's in your pic. But everyone has their preferences.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:43 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Oneslackr
It's not analog but I have my coolant temp set as my right pocket gauge because I don't like displaying the temperature in the center the way it's in your pic. But everyone has their preferences.
and therein lies the beauty of the C7 dash. You can customize it to show exactly the stuff you wanna see. As I mentioned (and agree with you guys) the analog speedo would have been better if it were something else. I don't think a tach because while I don't need to see my speed in 3 places, I don't need to see my RPMs in 3 places either. But that aside, it's a pretty dang great UI that can be set to display a number of things at once and you can decide what all that is, a la carte. The mark of a good UI, imo
Old 01-06-2019, 04:04 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,137 Posts

lol everyone complaining about the "high tech" cluster the C7 has. It's not even that high tech, comparing to other cars of equal value or even less. The C7 tech is almost like a CD player compared to like android auto or apple car play.

Even base audi A4's have a SLEW of tech in their cluster with way more options and stuff to scroll through. But the mentality of what i'm reading in this thread is basically saying they won't get a new car because it has all the high tech stuff? So i guess you guys are just going to buy pre 2006 cars from now on??

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 vs C6 Z06 - My definitive position