C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

New and have plans

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 12:29 AM
DocScott
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New and have plans

Greetings everyone! I'm in the last semester of my doctorate and am ordering my car, my first corvette, the day I pass my licensure exam! I have a list of mods I plan on doing and would like opinions on several things. I have been reading the boards here, checking youtube-the internet, to gain some knowledge on this platform. The Build is an ELB 3LZ A8, Carbon fiber inside and out, Ceramic Breaks, chrome rims. I am going to daily drive this thing too, so not interested in doing heads/cam or delving into the motor.

Planned Mods
  • Haltech Intake and Ram Air System and Throttle Body
  • Kooks Headers and xpipe with cats and Corsa Sport w/black tips
  • Upper and Lower Pulleys
  • Tune
Questions:
I see a lot of AR Headers, not as many kooks or others. Are they better or just more economical?
I see the 2.3 upper and 9 lower being popular pulleys. Am I wrong in assuming that yields the most power?
I was under the impression that a "trans tune" is just a component of the overall tune. Has this changed? If so, how does a trans tune affect daily driving?
Will any of the above mods void the entire factory warranty or parts of it? If so, is it easy to revert back to stock if needed?
Are there any daily driver upgrades or must haves for this thing to operate at peak efficiency? (am I missing anything?)
I have research to do but if anyone is willing to throw a little information or a few links about E85 and what that's all about, is it safe, etc, I would be grateful.

I want to get my financial ducks in a row so I can get these things now and have the IMMEDIETLY put on the car once I get it. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by DocScott; 01-05-2019 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:53 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

My suggestion. I’ve been in your same state of excitement when I ordered my 17 Z brand new! It was my first sports car and first new car I had ever bought! It’s exciting but you’re getting ahead of yourself. Do you see yourself tracking it? I’d get the competition seats and standard brakes and you don’t need any more power. I highly recommend *against* the ceramic brakes, these are really more for the cars and coffee waxer crowd as the real track guys run iron brakes from AP racing and factory iron z06 brakes will suit you just fine. They really are good brakes! Yes the factory ceramics are good brakes they just cost too much to upkeep when you start doing track days.

take a deep breath, get the car, drive it. see how it feels and how you actually see yourself using it. Do you really need more power? What are your goals and plans with the car? Do you just illegally street race in “Mexico” or do you do 1/2 mile drag racing?

its really easy with the influence of social media to think you *need* all these extra things on the car but you haven’t even experienced it yet!

everything you listed except the halltech or exhaust changes will void your warranty due to needing to tune the ECU. Once you tune that’s it, no more warranty on the engine. Stick to intake and X pipe and maybe a throttle body if you want to keep warranty. You cannot “convert” back to stock once tuned.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 01-05-2019 at 01:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pacembellum:
DocScott (01-05-2019), ZR1Bob (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 07:59 AM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 894 Likes on 538 Posts

Pace,

You seem like an experienced, knowledgeable person so I have a question for you regarding Doc’s plans. Why do these mods need a tune? Lots of the same mods are going on the ZR1 and it’s not tunable. I see headers, intakes, and more, and the factory tune keeps adjusting for it.

https://weaponxmotorsports.com/produ...=8703603638363

Also, aren’t the late build 19 Z06’s also un-tunable? I believe they’re locked down.
Thanks for the knowledge��

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 01-05-2019 at 01:09 PM. Reason: added documentation
The following users liked this post:
DocScott (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 10:48 AM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

OP - I agree with Pace, by the car and drive it until you get used to the power! I have modded every performance car I have owned, my last car was/is faster than my 2017 Z06 but for some reason I am simply enjoying the way the stock setup performs flawlessly.....maybe when the warranty is up I will port the blower, add an AFE cold air intake, put American Racing Headers on the car and tune it?

Let us know what you have owned in the past, most in this community truly care about each other as I am sure you have already noticed!
DocScott (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 11:22 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

I tend to echo the "get-it-and-try-it-out-for-a-while" approach before you jump in to mods, for a couple of reasons. First, you may find that the car as is is all you need for now. They are quite quick and capable. I have owned many high performance cars and modded a number of them but --despite the Mickey Thompson quote in my signature--I have found the Z06 to be plenty for me. Even GM's usually conservative published numbers say 0-60 In 2.95 seconds. Frankly, despite all the powerful cars I have owned and raced (really just drag racing and touring laps on the road courses), I find this to be enough for me in stock form. I have several times ridden as a passenger in my own car when a qualified performance driver blasted through four gears and it was a bit scary. Of course, I am an old guy now but even so, I find with just the stock power you can really outperform your tires' traction capability fairly easily. But if you want to go for mods, by all means do it--the most important thing is that you really like your car. Just suggesting a slight delay to get the know the car better. It took me several months before I was able to comfortably run the car flat out for short distances.

Second, get to know your dealer really well to make sure your mods won't screw up your warranty. Even if Magnuson--Moss seems to suggest you would be OK with them, GM may deny warranty work and then what are you really going to do? Maybe wait until the original factory warranty expires or is fairly far along that you are comfortable possibly being without it.

Additionally, I echo the thought that unless you are going to track the car seriously, I am not sure you need the Carbon brakes. An expensive option and expensive to repair compared to the steel brakes. You could probably finance several of the mods you want to do with the extra cash from not ordering them. I would suggest just putting a set of PowerStop pads in to reduce dust. But if you really like them, fine, go for it.

Lastly, a cosmetic thought. If you are ordering a car, I really like my choice of body colored vents. Provides a stealth look that appeals to me. I get lots of favorable comments from many Corvette folks. You won't see too many with the option and I think it is a nice look. Just my personal opinion of course.Pics below of my car with the body colored vents; you can see that I approve of your choice of chrome wheels. In any event enjoy your car! -Bob

Body Colored Vents

Body Colored Vents

Last edited by ZR1Bob; 01-05-2019 at 11:24 AM.
DocScott (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 01:32 PM
DocScott
Intermediate

Thank you very much for everyone's input! What I am hearing from these posts are
-The car is fast as hell from factory, perhaps wait on mods
-Carbon Ceramic brakes are a serious investment and perhaps not worth the cost
-Talk to my awesome salesman and find out what will and won't violate my warranty (

Further Information
-I don't trade cars in really or lease them, and will be buying and keeping this car. My missus and I are also lining up building our house so I was told I get "one shot" at this more or less haha, so If I want it, I can order it as I will not be getting a new car for a LONG time.

-I have had two performance cars prior to this; pictures included. Built 02 Z28 HCI, every damn bolt on under the sun with TNT F1-F2 Kit with 150 and 200 shot, Auto then 6 speed when the 4L60E let go and an 04 Terminator with Stage VI Stiegemeier ported blower and full bolt ons. I am no stranger to higher horsepower cars, but I also have never had a Vette and I sold my Cobra in 2012, so it's been a while.

-I will rarely if ever track my car (a couple hours away...I'm 1/2 between Houston and Galveston) but there is a drag strip and I love the concept of 1/2 mile racing and think those two will be fun. Perhaps some occasional racing in "Mexico."

-Carbon ceramics had the best performance with the least amount of brake dust as what I can discern. The internet loves them and every person seems to always recommend them. (also see the keeping the car part..figured what the hell, ya know?) Is there upkeep or absurd costs I am unaware of? I love reading about it, so if any of you fine people have a link or source that you trust so I can learn, I am eager to learn! I was under the impression that "braking them in" haha was really the only upkeep per-say. Lastly, as I LOVE the chrome Z06 rims, I want them to stay clean. If you recommend a brake pad that reduces the amount of brake dust, I am all ears so I can research it.

-Bob, the car looks immaculate!! I am massive fan, however, of making the things that are painted/black, carbon fiber. I feel that the blue, the matrix grey (pearl looking color), and black all look stunning with carbon fiber.

-Warranty is king. I am going to AT LEAST throw the intake, TB, Xpipe and exhaust on as I have a VERY short time frame to mod the car if I want to before other financial obligations supersede that of a Z06. I don't THINK those void the warranty, but I could be mistaken. Again, I will need to talk with my awesome salesman and find out what will violate my warranty. I REALLY want headers. The sound is just too amazing, but won't do it if it voids warranty (I believe it was mentioned that they won't??). Side note, does the catless xpipe make the car not-street-legal or are the primary cats near the manifolds all you need?

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions and help this new guy come into the corvette fold!

Old 01-05-2019, 02:50 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

I had my C5 Z06 for a long time and modded. But I was excited when my wife wanted me to get a new C7. I was planning on ordering 2019 Grand Sport and had no intentions of modding it. But I ended getting a great deal on my 19 Z06 and jumped on that. I test drove a 18 Z06 and after that I said I was not modding my 19. This thing is a beast and I think it sounds good. I don’t want to void my warranty so not to deal with any problems with the dealership I’m leaving it stock. I think it better to drive it for a while if you do plan on doing any mods. I have to admit I did buy a brand new Borla X pipe because there was talk about discontinued. But that is not going on for a while and that will not void your warranty.
DocScott (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 03:28 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
My suggestion. I’ve been in your same state of excitement when I ordered my 17 Z brand new! It was my first sports car and first new car I had ever bought! It’s exciting but you’re getting ahead of yourself. Do you see yourself tracking it? I’d get the competition seats and standard brakes and you don’t need any more power. I highly recommend *against* the ceramic brakes, these are really more for the cars and coffee waxer crowd as the real track guys run iron brakes from AP racing and factory iron z06 brakes will suit you just fine. They really are good brakes! Yes the factory ceramics are good brakes they just cost too much to upkeep when you start doing track days.

take a deep breath, get the car, drive it. see how it feels and how you actually see yourself using it. Do you really need more power? What are your goals and plans with the car? Do you just illegally street race in “Mexico” or do you do 1/2 mile drag racing?

its really easy with the influence of social media to think you *need* all these extra things on the car but you haven’t even experienced it yet!

everything you listed except the halltech or exhaust changes will void your warranty due to needing to tune the ECU. Once you tune that’s it, no more warranty on the engine. Stick to intake and X pipe and maybe a throttle body if you want to keep warranty. You cannot “convert” back to stock once tuned.
Doc, this is the best advice I've ever seen on this forum.
Good luck and enjoy your car.
DocScott (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 03:35 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Regarding carbon ceramic brakes, I think they're the best choice for street, bar none. People who frequently attend track days (like me) usually switch to iron brakes, since CCBs internally overheat (but not fade) in track conditions, and the rotors need to be replaced every 13-15 track days or so due to this. However, at street you cannot overheat them like how it happens at the track, and the rotors would likely last the life of the car! In short, I think CCBs would be excellent in your case : )

Last edited by X25; 01-05-2019 at 03:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by X25:
DocScott (01-05-2019), RegnaR (01-06-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 03:57 PM
stoessjc
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Front splash guards are a must. I used the modified universal ones (search for the thread that gives you the info.) because they go low and wide to protect the rear brake ducts and quarter panels from getting pelted with stuff off the front tires. You might also consider protection for the front bumper cover, as you will not drive long without getting paint chipped. Mirrors need protection too (Cleartastic for a DIY). While none of these things add power, they will prevent damage that will happen without protection.
The following 2 users liked this post by stoessjc:
Cleartastic (01-07-2019), DocScott (01-05-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 12:56 AM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

people that track their car all the time run iron brakes becuase they are cheap to replace not becuase they are better on the track compared to the CCBs.... But you are correct they do look better! Yes long tubes and a tune would be hard to convert back to stock if you had an issue and needed to go to the dealer.
DocScott (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 01:46 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DocScott
Thank you very much for everyone's input! What I am hearing from these posts are
-Talk to my awesome salesman and find out what will and won't violate my warranty (

Further Information
-I don't trade cars in really or lease them, and will be buying and keeping this car. My missus and I are also lining up building our house so I was told I get "one shot" at this more or less haha, so If I want it, I can order it as I will not be getting a new car for a LONG time.

-I have had two performance cars prior to this; pictures included. Built 02 Z28 HCI, every damn bolt on under the sun with TNT F1-F2 Kit with 150 and 200 shot, Auto then 6 speed when the 4L60E let go and an 04 Terminator with Stage VI Stiegemeier ported blower and full bolt ons. I am no stranger to higher horsepower cars, but I also have never had a Vette and I sold my Cobra in 2012, so it's been a while.

-I will rarely if ever track my car (a couple hours away...I'm 1/2 between Houston and Galveston) but there is a drag strip and I love the concept of 1/2 mile racing and think those two will be fun. Perhaps some occasional racing in "Mexico."

-Carbon ceramics had the best performance with the least amount of brake dust as what I can discern. The internet loves them and every person seems to always recommend them. (also see the keeping the car part..figured what the hell, ya know?) Is there upkeep or absurd costs I am unaware of? I love reading about it, so if any of you fine people have a link or source that you trust so I can learn, I am eager to learn! I was under the impression that "braking them in" haha was really the only upkeep per-say. Lastly, as I LOVE the chrome Z06 rims, I want them to stay clean. If you recommend a brake pad that reduces the amount of brake dust, I am all ears so I can research it.

-Bob, the car looks immaculate!! I am massive fan, however, of making the things that are painted/black, carbon fiber. I feel that the blue, the matrix grey (pearl looking color), and black all look stunning with carbon fiber.

-Warranty is king. I am going to AT LEAST throw the intake, TB, Xpipe and exhaust on as I have a VERY short time frame to mod the car if I want to before other financial obligations supersede that of a Z06. I don't THINK those void the warranty, but I could be mistaken. Again, I will need to talk with my awesome salesman and find out what will violate my warranty. I REALLY want headers. The sound is just too amazing, but won't do it if it voids warranty (I believe it was mentioned that they won't??). Side note, does the catless xpipe make the car not-street-legal or are the primary cats near the manifolds all you need?

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions and help this new guy come into the corvette fold!

First thing you need to do is Book your trip to spring mountain and learn to drive this amazing machine!! I waited 7 months and that was 7 too many.

You said it right there you don’t even need performance braking so the fact that the j57 brakes might be a tiny bit better than j56 is moot. People can fade the stock iron brake pads on the track but you just get different pads and you’re done! You’re paying $7500 for less dust and looks at cars and coffee from people that don’t know anything. I’ve never had anyone in a canyon run keep up with me and I use stock pads with stock brakes and they have been everything from twin turbo modded 911 to GTR, the c7z is nasty with warm tires and a good understanding of weight shift. It’s a c7 z06 not a gen 4 camaro you don’t *need* headers. Besides you already said you have other monetary obligations coming up so just dial back the mod bug a bit and enjoy. It’s literally the sickest most badass machine on the road it needs nothing! I take that back...what every c7 z06 needs of you will have a rock chipped car.

Side skirts to catch rocks
front ACS splash guards
rear gm splash guards
clear bra on entire front and hood along with rear quarters and brake duct area that can catch rocks.
if too quiet- borla x pipe
if still too quiet- get over it it’s not too quiet

ps. Don’t ever tell the wife something is the last ever does she ever do that with shoes or purses? Just not a good idea to go down that road. Granted I’ve been divorced for two years but my last 25 year old girlfriend never put any limits on the cars I can buy hahaha.
DocScott (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 01:51 AM
DocScott
Intermediate

Thanks for everyone's input, it is highly valued! Scratching most of the mods off the list, but due to my timetable constraints (life things and priorities) I have a VERY short window to mod the car for the few things I want. I'll stick to the intake, and x pipe and an exhaust for kicks and take stoessjc's advice and check into the paint protection. This helps my families financial planning huge, can't thank you guys enough.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:55 AM
DocScott
Intermediate

Pacembellum, just saw your response, thanks! So it seems the majority of people who answered here aren't a fan of the CCBs..that is a HUGE savings. I'm honestly hesitant to give em up, but now I need to do more research as I'm second guessing the worth of the brakes. I'll check into the various paint protection applications you all have listed as well!

Last edited by DocScott; 01-06-2019 at 01:57 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:00 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Pacembellum, just saw your response, thanks! So it seems the majority of people who answered here aren't a fan of the CCBs..that is a HUGE savings. I'm honestly hesitant to give em up, but now I need to do more research as I'm second guessing the worth of the brakes. I'll check into the various paint protection applications you all have listed as well!
glad I could help you get the game plan together. Spend your savings from the brakes on the Comp seats $2500 , carbon dash $1000, $1000 towards spring mountain, and have $3000 left over to pay for your paint protection, window tint, etc.
DocScott (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 05:40 AM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

Further Information

I came from the LS1 FBody world as well. The Z is a very different car,as mentioned before, own it for a few days before you make any decisions.

Regarding the brakes, if you are NOT tracking the car and the upfront cost is not an issue, definitely get the carbon ceramics. They look great and from what I understand, no brake dust. The stock iron brakes are equally great, but with the stock pads, an absolute nightmare. There are very inexpensive after market pads that cut the dust down 90%+

For warranty, anytime you tune (even if you return to stock tune), you’ll void your powertrain warranty. For me, it’s not worth it, I’ll stick to the little exhaust bolt-ons as the car is more than enough. If you’re ok losing the warranty, which it doesn’t seem like, I would get that itty bitty SC out and get one of the bigger ones
DocScott (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 05:49 AM
Larry M
Drifting

Originally Posted by stoessjc
Front splash guards are a must.
They’re definitely not a must, I have the side skirts and XPel (entire car) and I have no rock chips on the brake ducts.

Get notified of new replies

To New and have plans

Old 01-06-2019, 05:54 AM
Larry M
Drifting

Thanks for everyone's input, it is highly valued! Scratching most of the mods off the list, but due to my timetable constraints (life things and priorities) I have a VERY short window to mod the car for the few things I want. I'll stick to the intake, and x pipe and an exhaust for kicks and take stoessjc's advice and check into the paint protection. This helps my families financial planning huge, can't thank you guys enough.
I had the entire car covered in XPel, I’m quite pleased with it. Only thing that sucks is on a white car, the seems tend to get dirty and are tough to clean.
DocScott (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 05:57 AM
Larry M
Drifting

glad I could help you get the game plan together. Spend your savings from the brakes on the Comp seats $2500 , carbon dash $1000, $1000 towards spring mountain, and have $3000 left over to pay for your paint protection, window tint, etc.
comp seats truly are a must, I love them
Old 01-06-2019, 06:12 AM
Larry M
Drifting

Thanks for everyone's input, it is highly valued! Scratching most of the mods off the list, but due to my timetable constraints (life things and priorities) I have a VERY short window to mod the car for the few things I want.
What life things?
Marriage? You’ll hopefully be married for a very long time
Work? You’ll likely be working for a very long time
Kids? They aren’t going anywhere anytime soon
Building a house? Time consuming, but don’t forget to sit back and enjoy the process

There is always going to be other priorities in life, we’re all fortunate enough to buy these unnecessary toys, but please don’t forget to enjoy it and yourself. Don’t forget to reward yourself every once in a while and not just this one time

Now if you said you had a trust fund suger momma that’s about to kick the can and the estate has all her money going to the kids that are twice your age, then move fast.
The following 2 users liked this post by Larry M:
AZGASSER (02-04-2019), DocScott (01-06-2019)

Quick Reply: New and have plans