C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

New and have plans

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 12:34 PM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by DocScott
Thank you very much for everyone's input! What I am hearing from these posts are
-The car is fast as hell from factory, perhaps wait on mods
-Carbon Ceramic brakes are a serious investment and perhaps not worth the cost
-Talk to my awesome salesman and find out what will and won't violate my warranty (

Further Information
-I don't trade cars in really or lease them, and will be buying and keeping this car. My missus and I are also lining up building our house so I was told I get "one shot" at this more or less haha, so If I want it, I can order it as I will not be getting a new car for a LONG time.

-I have had two performance cars prior to this; pictures included. Built 02 Z28 HCI, every damn bolt on under the sun with TNT F1-F2 Kit with 150 and 200 shot, Auto then 6 speed when the 4L60E let go and an 04 Terminator with Stage VI Stiegemeier ported blower and full bolt ons. I am no stranger to higher horsepower cars, but I also have never had a Vette and I sold my Cobra in 2012, so it's been a while.

-I will rarely if ever track my car (a couple hours away...I'm 1/2 between Houston and Galveston) but there is a drag strip and I love the concept of 1/2 mile racing and think those two will be fun. Perhaps some occasional racing in "Mexico."

-Carbon ceramics had the best performance with the least amount of brake dust as what I can discern. The internet loves them and every person seems to always recommend them. (also see the keeping the car part..figured what the hell, ya know?) Is there upkeep or absurd costs I am unaware of? I love reading about it, so if any of you fine people have a link or source that you trust so I can learn, I am eager to learn! I was under the impression that "braking them in" haha was really the only upkeep per-say. Lastly, as I LOVE the chrome Z06 rims, I want them to stay clean. If you recommend a brake pad that reduces the amount of brake dust, I am all ears so I can research it.

-Bob, the car looks immaculate!! I am massive fan, however, of making the things that are painted/black, carbon fiber. I feel that the blue, the matrix grey (pearl looking color), and black all look stunning with carbon fiber.

-Warranty is king. I am going to AT LEAST throw the intake, TB, Xpipe and exhaust on as I have a VERY short time frame to mod the car if I want to before other financial obligations supersede that of a Z06. I don't THINK those void the warranty, but I could be mistaken. Again, I will need to talk with my awesome salesman and find out what will violate my warranty. I REALLY want headers. The sound is just too amazing, but won't do it if it voids warranty (I believe it was mentioned that they won't??). Side note, does the catless xpipe make the car not-street-legal or are the primary cats near the manifolds all you need?

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions and help this new guy come into the corvette fold!
A very rational response. Sounds like you have thought things through quite thoroughly, you have examined a lot of data and inputs and you will make a sound decision that fits you. You will be very happy with your choices I am certain, just as I am happy with what I decided for mine. Good luck with it! --Bob

Last edited by ZR1Bob; 01-06-2019 at 12:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DocScott (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 01:34 PM
DocScott
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Larry, oh I am sir! haha, I have the best wife in the world man. She recommended I get a carbon fiber wedding band with blue chips because it will match my Z I'm going to order....keeper! Basically, I'm going to spend a lot of money on this car and things (the aforementioned mods, carbon fiber accents on outside and 2 or 3 additional pieces inside, and a set of drag wheels in Z06 Chrome Wheel design with a nice set of MT's or whatever tire fits) I want for it for about 6-8 months, then we gotta start family stuff. For an anniversary present that corresponds with the warranty expiring, I have every intention of doing all the rest of the bolt ons and a Magnuson Heartbeat 2300, then perhaps new DD, who knows though?! Maybe not! My Camaro had a pretty big 112 LSA cam in it and I remember how awesome it was, but how much the drivability was affected and I want something now that starts right up and drives like silk...hence the mods I originally proposed are all "bolt on."

As mentioned I'm daily driving this beast and we already have 2-3 cross country vacations planned where were going to drive and visit family. Also Larry, I am 6'2" and 210, the GT seats are perfect, the Comp seats are TINY, but I get and appreciate the sentiment, pour the money into other "goodies!" Ordering the second glass roof just for road trips; the first being through the rockies and up to Washington state and back from Houston. It's going to be glorious! I appreciate the look out though haha!

This forum is exciting and I appreciate the warm welcome and comments! I've been looking forward to this since I sold my Cobra in 2012 and went back to school....so ALOT of studying and ALOT of time thinking about this, and now I finally have started planning and setting $$ aside...it's a lot man haha and now I have a community of enthusiasts to associate with.

Someone mentioned Ron Fellows driving school. I know that you automatically get that with the ZR1, is that an option for the Z06 that I missed or out of pocket?

Last edited by DocScott; 01-06-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:07 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

OP. Congrats sounds like a beautiful combo.

I also second doing a 2300 swap. It makes the car as fast as a ZR1 and all through rev range it's better. It's easily removed and resold if you want out of the car. It's basically a bolt on and well worth it

if you have the blower installed at an authorized magnusson shop and dont do the headers you'll have magnusson powertrain warranty in fact I believe its 3 36.

look into it. My buddy's shop does many of them.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:58 PM
avtarv
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 68 Posts

Stick to a proven combo, 18% OD crank, off road pipes, Borla off road X, Halltech.

DocScott (01-08-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 06:31 PM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

Larry, oh I am sir! haha, I have the best wife in the world man. She recommended I get a carbon fiber wedding band with blue chips because it will match my Z I'm going to order....keeper! Basically, I'm going to spend a lot of money on this car and things (the aforementioned mods, carbon fiber accents on outside and 2 or 3 additional pieces inside, and a set of drag wheels in Z06 Chrome Wheel design with a nice set of MT's or whatever tire fits) I want for it for about 6-8 months, then we gotta start family stuff. For an anniversary present that corresponds with the warranty expiring, I have every intention of doing all the rest of the bolt ons and a Magnuson Heartbeat 2300, then perhaps new DD, who knows though?! Maybe not! My Camaro had a pretty big 112 LSA cam in it and I remember how awesome it was, but how much the drivability was affected and I want something now that starts right up and drives like silk...hence the mods I originally proposed are all "bolt on."

As mentioned I'm daily driving this beast and we already have 2-3 cross country vacations planned where were going to drive and visit family. Also Larry, I am 6'2" and 210, the GT seats are perfect, the Comp seats are TINY, but I get and appreciate the sentiment, pour the money into other "goodies!" Ordering the second glass roof just for road trips; the first being through the rockies and up to Washington state and back from Houston. It's going to be glorious! I appreciate the look out though haha!

This forum is exciting and I appreciate the warm welcome and comments! I've been looking forward to this since I sold my Cobra in 2012 and went back to school....so ALOT of studying and ALOT of time thinking about this, and now I finally have started planning and setting $$ aside...it's a lot man haha and now I have a community of enthusiasts to associate with.

Someone mentioned Ron Fellows driving school. I know that you automatically get that with the ZR1, is that an option for the Z06 that I missed or out of pocket?
The Ron Fellows corvette owners driving school is $1000 plus airfare and rental car. I went a few weeks ago and it was definitely worth it.
DocScott (01-08-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 06:39 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

The comp seats aren’t tiny at all I think you just have never had a real sports car with proper fitting seats!!

I’m 6’3 and have been as heavy as 225 lb earlier this year when I was powerlifting a lot and the seats never once felt too tight. I’ve had 250lb instructors ride with me and not complain either sooo I think it’s just your perception and not the seats. Also, they adjust!
Old 01-06-2019, 07:38 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Just one reminder: Anytime you move or remove the cat converters by installing long tube headers or other exhaust changes you violate the warranty as well as federal and most state smog regulation laws. Some will take that risk anyway but be aware of what you are doing. Also, long tube headers really need a tune to get the most benefit, which means ECU modification and warranty loss.
DocScott (01-08-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 07:34 AM
Larry M
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 198 Posts

haha, congrats on everything
FYI on the comp seats, I’m 6’3” and they fit me like a glove. Very comfortable, though the GT seats IMO are a touch softer
Old 02-02-2019, 11:23 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 738 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry M

haha, congrats on everything
FYI on the comp seats, I’m 6’3” and they fit me like a glove. Very comfortable, though the GT seats IMO are a touch softer
The comp seats are stiffer and they hug you even if you have the bolsters at there loosest setting. I hear a lot of tall guys complaining not enough room with a helmet on if you do go to the track. I loved the comp seats, but since I don't track my Z and the GT seats seem more roomier and more comfortable [ to me in my opinion ] and I want to cruise and travel it was an easy decision for me. Also the $2,000 I saved was a bonus. The comp seats are definitely cooler looking then the GT seats, that was my hardest thing to get over[ REALLY HARD] THE COOL FACTOR!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by mdolandese:
DocScott (02-03-2019), jstewart (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 12:56 AM
DocScott
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Im finding the cool factor is a bastard and expensive. SO worth it though.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:27 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Doc some really good advice here. Like you I haunted this forum before making decisions on modding my 2016 Z07. The base bolton's like X pipe, CAI, ported TB you can do without tuning and if you have a good relationship with your dealer they will let you skate on warranty claims. Since I bought my Z07 used with 6,200 miles last spring it came with the carbon brakes. They look great, perform flawlessly and there is absolutely no brake dust. I don't expect to ever have to replace the discs using the car on the street and light drag strip use. Would I order them on a new Z06, no I would not because of cost. A replacement set of no dust or low dust ceramic brake pads worked fine on my 08 C6 at a very small fraction of the cost. Good luck and tell us how it goes.

Quick Reply: New and have plans