C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

APR Performance Carbon Fiber

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 06:40 PM
B2Vette
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default APR Performance Carbon Fiber

I purchased an APR Carbon Fiber Track Pack to take my 2018 from Stage 1 to Stage 3 aero. Still missing some components but I decided to start the install this weekend. Having some issues and was wondering if anyone here has gone through this process of removing the OEM Stage 1 components and installing the APR CF components? I also will be installing the APR Carbon Fiber spats (fender extensions) to replace the factory plastic parts. I got one removed but I am struggling with installation of the APR spat.....unfortunately no instructions were provided. Silly me, I assumed it was a simple remove and replace.....not so. If anyone has gone through this, I would like to know how to get these installed as well without damaging them or the Vette!!! Thx!
Old 01-05-2019, 08:21 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I've purchased a lot of their carbon fiber products. What makes it a little tougher is that it's 1 solid piece that isn't flexible as opposed to the plastic pieces that come OEM (spats, fender vents, hood vent, etc). Take your time and don't overtighten or else things will crack... either the CF piece or the plastic piece it's attached to.

I don't have much experience with the stage 1 to 3 front lip area, but I did do the fender extensions. It helped that I had the oem splash guards. They helped me line up one end. Peel just a small portion of the 3M tape and have it hanging out. Once the piece is in place, pull the rest out through the gap.
The following users liked this post:
B2Vette (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 12:48 AM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

font fender spats should be pretty easy to instaill. Just take your time since they are not going to be as flexable in CF. Are you having issues trying to bolt them up on the bottom to the lip?
B2Vette (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 08:52 AM
B2Vette
Intermediate

Cyi1 and RegnaR: thx for the input.....I got mine installed after a bit of trial and error before actually using the double sided tape. When I figured out that I needed to start the install of the spat from front to back, I then removed some of the red film to expose the adhesive. Let me caution everyone that tries this......be absolutely sure you know exactly how to properly install these spats before you attempt to adhere them permanently because this is a one trick pony. If you take your time and begin from the front, you should be able to get the APR spats installed. When you remove the factory installed plastic spat, make sure you remove all the remaining adhesive and then clean the area inside the fender where the new tape will make contact. Prep the new spat by removing a small portion of the red film on EACH END of the double sided tape to expose the adhesive. Secure and the red film with some tape so it doesn't get trapped behind the fender during installation. Again, starting from the front, align the spat into place but focus on the area with the double sided tape.....particularly the front double sided tape!!!! Tolerances are very tight in this area.... making a mistake here will leave you a gap between the spat and the fender if you are not careful. That would require a lot of effort to remove the spat to attempt a reinstallion. Once you have this section in position, start removing the red film on this FRONT section only. The red film was difficult to remove in this section due to the tight tolerance. I had to push against the spat to try to remove all the red film. Once that is done you can move backward along the spat and tuck in the tab at the very rear of the spat into its slot in the wheel well. Finally, you can position the rear of the spat before pulling off the remainder of the red film on the rear section of double-sided tape. The APR spats look awesome on the car and are orders of magnitude better looking than the cheap plastic spats Chevy installs at the factory.

With that done, I am off to install the Stage 3 APR carbon Fiber front spoiler, winglets, side skirts, and rear spoiler. Hopefully those will be less effort!
Old 01-06-2019, 09:04 AM
B2Vette
Intermediate

Have now moved on to installing the APR carbon fiber side skirts. First thing is removing the OEM 3/4 carbon flash skirts. APR installation instructions do not show the removal of the OEM skirts so when I crawled under the car I noticed there are a couple of bolts and a bunch of what looks like rivets? I am concerned with drilling these out and what size of drill bit to use since there is no guidance provided in the instructions? The APR skirts require some drilling to install after they told me I would be using factory hardware! Not true. In fact, the installation instructions show a Stingray rather than a GS or Z06 which concerns me that despite ordering the Track Pack for a GS / Z06, I may have received side skirts for a Stingray. I will be calling RPI and APR on Monday!

Regarding the the removal of the OEM skirts, any advice here would be helpful.....
Old 01-06-2019, 06:32 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Hummm so much for a company who sell their stuff 3x more than any other aftermarket company! Supposely higher quality....
Old 01-11-2019, 09:38 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Found this video
B2Vette (01-11-2019)
Old 08-04-2020, 12:17 AM
Thudux
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by B2Vette
I purchased an APR Carbon Fiber Track Pack to take my 2018 from Stage 1 to Stage 3 aero. Still missing some components but I decided to start the install this weekend. Having some issues and was wondering if anyone here has gone through this process of removing the OEM Stage 1 components and installing the APR CF components? I also will be installing the APR Carbon Fiber spats (fender extensions) to replace the factory plastic parts. I got one removed but I am struggling with installation of the APR spat.....unfortunately no instructions were provided. Silly me, I assumed it was a simple remove and replace.....not so. If anyone has gone through this, I would like to know how to get these installed as well without damaging them or the Vette!!! Thx!

I know this is an old thread but did the same this weekend and man it was a BITCH! They don't bend so makes it really har. Learned to cut the little trim piece that goes under liner and made it much easier. Don't even know why that is there as it is n to holding anything.

Get notified of new replies

To APR Performance Carbon Fiber

Quick Reply: APR Performance Carbon Fiber