C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

[VIDEO] Why Did I Crash - Episode 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 01:15 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Episode 3 is live, this week it's T17 at VIR and a C7 GS. Thanks as always to the driver that provided the data.
The following 3 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
Basil2000 (01-24-2019), Mad Dog 24 (01-19-2019), Mu$cle (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 07:38 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Bill good to here your car is back ! Question did you feel any difference with the GM Mag update form stock? I think I'm the only track guy that has not done it yet for fear of upsetting my very comfortable car on the track. Thanks Sean for the accident analyzation, understanding what is happening is so helpful.... hopefully!
Old 01-24-2019, 05:59 PM
TopSpeedNeed
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Sean,, I saw that he had his PTM set to Sport 2, would Sport 1 have saved him? It seemed like when his front tires hit the rumble strips the car was still going straight even though he had 40 % right steering input, and as the rear tires hit the rumble strip is when it really came around along with along with letting off the gas. And not trying to sound stupid, I really dont know, but when it started to come around, and if he had went full left steering and full throttle, do you think it would have kept it off the wall ?
Old 01-24-2019, 07:15 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I lost it at Roebling Road @60mph getting into 2nd gear as I was just coming off the apex instead of that even gas apply equivalent to steering wheel turning back to center I came in a bit too hard and spun out went into the dirt. No major damage but scary and lesson learned. These cars are a handful. You have to truly work to drive them fast and you have to respect the power. Appreciate the time to post this! Very informative!
Old 01-24-2019, 09:52 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by TopSpeedNeed
Sean,, I saw that he had his PTM set to Sport 2, would Sport 1 have saved him? It seemed like when his front tires hit the rumble strips the car was still going straight even though he had 40 % right steering input, and as the rear tires hit the rumble strip is when it really came around along with along with letting off the gas. And not trying to sound stupid, I really dont know, but when it started to come around, and if he had went full left steering and full throttle, do you think it would have kept it off the wall ?
I honestly don't know. Maybe? The neat thing about AH is that it can apply brakes to only one wheel. Would it have been able to apply the front brakes it a way to arrest the yaw? I don't know.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:05 PM
mdk
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

great thread!!! Thanks for sharing.
The following users liked this post:
Poor-sha (01-25-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 12:04 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24
Bill good to here your car is back ! Question did you feel any difference with the GM Mag update form stock? I think I'm the only track guy that has not done it yet for fear of upsetting my very comfortable car on the track. Thanks Sean for the accident analyzation, understanding what is happening is so helpful.... hopefully!
It is hard to say for sure. My fastest lap times dropped about a second after the update but the change in MRC may not have been the reason. I did notice that PTM seemed to work better coming around Turn 1 at VIR after the update. Up until the update I had only been able to follow the OM's instructions about going wide open during corner exit on a few very slow corners. On other corners I could hear PTM working (exhaust blatting noise) but had not been able to go wide open without the back end stepping out. After the update when exiting VIR's Turn 1 I was able to add more throttle (but still not wide open) before the back end kicked out and seemed to be able to power off the corner better.

Bill

Quick Reply: [VIDEO] Why Did I Crash - Episode 2