C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Body color brake scoops?

Old 01-11-2019, 04:47 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Body color brake scoops?

My Z has been in the shop for months and is finally about to get painted. I had ordered CF brake scoops from APsis, but after the car has been pulled apart, the right brake scoop is just going to be a bear to get out because a ton of stuff is in the way of the rivets, so I'm not going to pay for all that labor. Every other exterior carbon flash painted part I bought in carbon fiber, from the aero, rear diffuser, a-pillars, mirrors, and all vents. Seems weird to have the brake scoops in carbon flash so I'm thinking of just going body color. I'm doing a custom yellow similar to the factory yellow, but it is brighter and has metallic and pearl in it, so I couldn't just get body colored covers and pull them off if I don't like (in case anyone is thinking that). Looking around on the Googles, I can't find any C7s with body colored brake scoops. Has anyone done this? If so, can you post some pics? I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 01-11-2019, 05:31 PM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

Are you talking about the lower rear ones?
Old 01-11-2019, 05:47 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

As far as I know, there is only 1 brake scoop (per side).

Old 01-11-2019, 06:24 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
My Z has been in the shop for months and is finally about to get painted. I had ordered CF brake scoops from APsis, but after the car has been pulled apart, the right brake scoop is just going to be a bear to get out because a ton of stuff is in the way of the rivets, so I'm not going to pay for all that labor. Every other exterior carbon flash painted part I bought in carbon fiber, from the aero, rear diffuser, a-pillars, mirrors, and all vents. Seems weird to have the brake scoops in carbon flash so I'm thinking of just going body color. I'm doing a custom yellow similar to the factory yellow, but it is brighter and has metallic and pearl in it, so I couldn't just get body colored covers and pull them off if I don't like (in case anyone is thinking that). Looking around on the Googles, I can't find any C7s with body colored brake scoops. Has anyone done this? If so, can you post some pics? I would greatly appreciate it!
read my thread with pics on the replacement
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...trim-dont.html
Old 01-11-2019, 07:25 PM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

The front bumper also has ducts for the brakes that work with the OEM kit.

Since the rear painted part is so small I would just leave them if it will be a PITA to swap then for CF
Old 01-11-2019, 08:00 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by lordofwar
read my thread with pics on the replacement
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...trim-dont.html
Yeah, as I said in my post, I've discovered it's too costly so I'm not going to do it. The decision is whether to leave them painted carbon flash or paint them yellow as the rest of the car gets painted.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:01 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by RegnaR
The front bumper also has ducts for the brakes that work with the OEM kit.

Since the rear painted part is so small I would just leave them if it will be a PITA to swap then for CF
Again, I'm no longer going to replace them. The question is whether to paint them or leave them carbon flash. Wanting to see if anyone has painted theirs and if so, I'd like to see some pics.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:19 PM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Again, I'm no longer going to replace them. The question is whether to paint them or leave them carbon flash. Wanting to see if anyone has painted theirs and if so, I'd like to see some pics.
From my personal perspective, I would just go ahead and paint them with the rest of the car. But I am a bit biased, as I had ordered the body colored vents with my Z06 and I really like the stealth look. I was disappointed that they did not include the brake ducts as well, but it is really not a big thing on my slightly darker colored LBR car. For me it would even be tempting to do with a good rattle can, but I probably will not do it. If I did I would probably mask off the inside of the duct and just paint the surround. -- Bob

Last edited by ZR1Bob; 01-12-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:01 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZR1Bob
From my personal perspective, I would just go ahead and paint them with the rest of the car. But I am a bit biased, as I had ordered the body colored vents with my Z06 and I really like the stealth look. I was disappointed that they did not include the brake ducts as well, but it is really not a big thing on my slightly darker colored LBR car. For me it would even be tempting to do with a good rattle can, but I probably will not do it. If I did I would probably mask off the inside of the duct and just paint the surround. -- Bob
That looks clean. Like the body colored side skirts. Thanks for the input. Obviously doesn't show painted brake ducts but gives me at least an idea. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2019, 06:22 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

great color.painted from wheel molding would go nice with your car.it blends with the fenders.
Attachment 48338163

The following users liked this post:
ZR1Bob (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 02:37 AM
Lyn Go Fast
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Body-color matched covers ... simple & quick to install!!

Old 01-14-2019, 06:38 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lyn Go Fast
Hmmmm... I'm a little confused as to your post. You don't have said covers in your pic, so I can't get an idea of how it looks. Also, as I've said 3 times (this makes a 4th), I'm getting a custom paint job, so I can't buy pre painted markers/covers

EDIT: sorry, I was thinking I was in my thread about MARKER lights. I apologize. Those scoops actually look really good! Thanks for the post!

Last edited by Toddiesel; 01-14-2019 at 06:50 AM. Reason: was in wrong thread
Old 01-14-2019, 02:42 PM
bradgto
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

you are having your car painted custom color and not having these removed to paint the car? I used a right angle drill to drill the rivets out. I always remove these for a color change wrap job. I would think you would for sure have these removed for a custom paint job.

The rear quarters will be removed to have the upper cooling vents removed to paint (I assume you are painting these custom yellow) So you are almost there to have the brake ducts removed. With the quarters removed its way easier to get them out.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:24 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by bradgto
you are having your car painted custom color and not having these removed to paint the car? I used a right angle drill to drill the rivets out. I always remove these for a color change wrap job. I would think you would for sure have these removed for a custom paint job.

The rear quarters will be removed to have the upper cooling vents removed to paint (I assume you are painting these custom yellow) So you are almost there to have the brake ducts removed. With the quarters removed its way easier to get them out.
On the left side, sure. I wish I had taken a pic of the right side. There's ALLLLLL kinds of **** in the way, as I mentioned in the original post. The labor is far too intensive to make it worth it. And no, I'm not painting the vents. Also as I mentioned in the original post, all parts that are carbon flash from Chevy - mirrors, grille, hood vent, fender vents, rear cooling vents, a-pillar, rear diffuser, aero... all that is now carbon fiber. Got the aero and rear diffuser from C7 carbon and the rest from APsis.

Last edited by Toddiesel; 01-14-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:11 PM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Originally Posted by lordofwar
great color.painted from wheel molding would go nice with your car.it blends with the fenders.
Good idea--yours look nice. Are they the same size and shape as the stock ones on the car or are they larger and/or longer? Also, where did you get them? Did you get them from RPI Designs? I see that they sell some painted in body color. Thanks--Bob
Old 01-14-2019, 04:24 PM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lyn Go Fast
Neat--fits my stealth concept. Where did you get them? I looked at RPI Designs but theirs are stock factory pieces that one has to bolt on, not an easy task. Thanks --Bob
Old 01-14-2019, 06:29 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Good idea--yours look nice. Are they the same size and shape as the stock ones on the car or are they larger and/or longer? Also, where did you get them? Did you get them from RPI Designs? I see that they sell some painted in body color. Thanks--Bob

yes,same as stock,easy install.RPI
Old 01-15-2019, 04:06 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Leave it stock color. Painted vents look 1990’s
Old 02-16-2019, 11:31 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Finally got the Z out of the shop. Here's what it looks like with body colored brake scoops. https://photos.app.goo.gl/DKy5JEsoSShCWsz5A

Get notified of new replies

To Body color brake scoops?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Body color brake scoops?