C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Inexpensive track tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 09:28 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkmate1
The C7 Z06 has a lot of low end grunt in a relatively light car .
Don't let Mr. Gizmo hear you say that!

Last edited by Toddiesel; 01-18-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:36 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 732 Likes on 481 Posts

Inexpensive track tyres = expensive body shop repairs. Or worse.
The following users liked this post:
Basil2000 (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 06:32 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

R888R hopefully still on sale ok simpletire.com. that's your best bet for a good cheap track tire.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:33 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Hey, if you ain't first, you're last! You're absolutely right about reaction times. Since my portfolio is in the toilet, might as well die young(ish), right?? The gf is always harping on me about that as well. Knock on wood, my reflexes are still pretty decent and i only text and drive when I have the cruise control set (kidding).

As far as 18 inchers go, I personally just can't support that. I think it makes the vette look like an old Chevelle, with the small wheels and high side wall tires. If you're JUST using it for the track, I guess that's ok, but personally I prefer to stick with 20s and would only drop down to 19s if I were getting some wheels like these:

19" full carbon fiber wheels with titanium lugs from Carbon Revolution
Ew wtf is that thing?
Old 01-18-2019, 07:13 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
Ew wtf is that thing?
It's an electric vette. https://www.corvetteforum.com/how-to...-home-of-stars I don't care much for the car itself, but those wheels are pure badass.

Last edited by Toddiesel; 01-18-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:24 AM
Plstxmd
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a lot of experience w street driving the hankooks on many cars, all over 500hp. They are excellent street tires, with good wear, adequate wet traction, and great value. If you were using them purely for the street, I’d say go for it, as the slight decrease in ultimate grip is ( should be) inconsequential in that environment. If you think you are pushing pilot sc2 to the limits on a zo6 on the street, as some posters have mentioned, I’m not sure how you’ve avoided jail or extended stays at the body shop. The tire has real grip, but but it’s conditional, as it better be warm and dry. When it’s cold, or the tire is greasy due to excessive heat cycles, well, it’s nothing like when it’s warm and new. I hammer on my zo6 every time I drive it, I slide it a lot on the street as I thought the right pedal is part of the steering mechanism, lol. That’s got nothing to do w the track though.
I’d definitely NOT recommend the hankooks for the track. I agree w the other posters regarding the tire being the ultimate determinant of performance. If it’s the weakest link in the chain, who care how strong the rest of the chain is. Get the mpss, or the sc2. Don’t mess with slicks and new wheels till you’re turning lap times maxed out to the fastest the car is capable off. A new set of wheels isn’t money well spent compared to two more sets of tires. Just another opinion in a forum full of them tho...

Theres no inexpensive good tire for the track. As the saying goes, “how fast do you wanna spend”

You can learn a lot in a skinny tired stock Miata or rx7...

have fun!
The following users liked this post:
Viking0728 (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 12:02 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Plstxmd
I have a lot of experience w street driving the hankooks on many cars, all over 500hp. They are excellent street tires, with good wear, adequate wet traction, and great value. If you were using them purely for the street, I’d say go for it, as the slight decrease in ultimate grip is ( should be) inconsequential in that environment. If you think you are pushing pilot sc2 to the limits on a zo6 on the street, as some posters have mentioned, I’m not sure how you’ve avoided jail or extended stays at the body shop. I hammer on my zo6 every time I drive it, I slide it a lot on the street as I thought the right pedal is part of the steering mechanism, lol. That’s got nothing to do w the track though.
So with your fondness for driving sideways, how have you avoided jail or extended stays at the body shop?

Driving sideways is a lot easier using tires with less traction. As much as I have enjoyed that over the years, I also appreciate tires which can hook up in a straight line, since there are vastly more "street" challengers in that scenario.

Quick Reply: Inexpensive track tire