C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z06 or C6 ZR1...

Old 01-20-2019, 02:53 PM
Pigface1
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

Having owned both, C7 Z06 by a fairly sizable margin. The only plus to the C6 ZR1 was it was more rare. Some care more about that than others.

However, the C6 may have been a tad more comfortable.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:18 PM
jbrennan
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drove a C6 ZR1 but bought a C7 Z06. Better car for my application.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:20 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,180 Likes on 2,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Pigface1
Having owned both, C7 Z06 by a fairly sizable margin. The only plus to the C6 ZR1 was it was more rare. Some care more about that than others.

However, the C6 may have been a tad more comfortable.
The rarity novelty wears off pretty fast.

If you want your C7Z to feel rare, drive it only on weekends lol

That's what i do. And each time i take it out, i get stares, camera phones out, looks, smiles and thumbs up everywhere i go, as if i'm driving a 250k exotic or something.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:59 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

IMHO,
the fact that people are comparing a 29 year old car to there new Corvette proves it was and is a great car.
the old ZR1 was not after the new Corvettes. It was after those Italian cars. History can speak for that. It also
held the French 24 hour speed record. I think it was a little over 170 average for the 24 hours. I believe the cars before the ZR1 and the VW that finally beat the record was a speciality built car. Maybe Chevrolet will go after the record when they the bad boy C8 cars up and running. To my knowledge non of the euro super cars even tried to beat the ZR1. If they did they failed to beat it.
yes a 20 plus newer Corvette can beat it if it’s untouched.
if it’s touched,their are twin turbos. 4 LPE cars with crazy numbers and well but together 368/415 cars. If you are a road racer with the necessary touches they are still a tough car to beat it n a road course also.
Robin
a proud 1990 zr1 owner
Old 11-23-2019, 08:36 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by zrracer
IMHO,
the fact that people are comparing a 29 year old car to there new Corvette proves it was and is a great car.
Nobody was talking about a C4.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:05 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by rbartick
Nobody was talking about a C4.
LOL...

In for the comments...
Old 11-23-2019, 01:23 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

I'd still pick a C7Z over a C6ZR1.

Newer is always better.
Old 11-23-2019, 01:46 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,395 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by zrracer
IMHO,
the old ZR1 was not after the new Corvettes. It was after those Italian cars. History can speak for that. It also
held the French 24 hour speed record. I think it was a little over 170 average for the 24 hours. I believe the cars before the ZR1 and the VW that finally beat the record was a speciality built car. Maybe Chevrolet will go after the record when they the bad boy C8 cars up and running. To my knowledge non of the euro super cars even tried to beat the ZR1. If they did they failed to beat it.
yes a 20 plus newer Corvette can beat it if it’s untouched.
if it’s touched,their are twin turbos. 4 LPE cars with crazy numbers and well but together 368/415 cars. If you are a road racer with the necessary touches they are still a tough car to beat it n a road course also.
Robin
a proud 1990 zr1 owner
Old 11-23-2019, 03:04 PM
usrodeo4
Drifting

Received 701 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by joetigger66
Maybe this has been discussed before but it is all in fun and about opinion...

If you were looking at spending the same amount of money, would you choose the C7 Z06 or C6 ZR1 and why?

I've never been in a C7 in any capacity so have no clue on the improvements offered in this platform over it's prior version.
I am fairly new to the vette world, as I just bought my C7 Z car in July (I did own a '65 roadster back in the day but nothing newer) so can't really help with the gen/model differences. BUT I did just so happen to run across a C6 ZR1 while out cruising a couple months back and we ended up at a stop light with some open road in front of us and I pointed and he tipped his head so we gave it a run. I had both the nannies off and applied the brake and throttle to get some boost going in my A8 and on the green light I launched modestly hard...was pretty much a perfect launch with some pretty aggressive tire spin as I stood on it but very controlled. Not sure what the ZR1's issue was but I never saw him until I let up as oncoming traffic was approaching.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:19 PM
icyteddy
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

I do like the cosmetics look of the C7 Z06, but the deal breaker is the horror story associated with the over heating issues with the car. It doesn't seam reliable as the C6 ZR1. I have never heard any complaints from any C6 ZR1 owners about superchargers overheating or any major issues. Not to say there aren't any issues that some C6 ZR1 owners may have. Both cars are beautiful, but if an expensive car keeps on giving me mechanical issues, it looses its appeal very quickly. For that I have to say the C6 ZR1 gets my vote. So far I haven't heard any major mechanical issues with the C7 ZR1 yet. Looks like GM did everything right with the C7 ZR1.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:28 PM
NoMorZR1
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ZR1's didn't have overheating problems but the design of the intercoolers was subpar and caused a few of us big headaches and big $$$ when they fell apart.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:27 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by icyteddy
I do like the cosmetics look of the C7 Z06, but the deal breaker is the horror story associated with the over heating issues with the car. It doesn't seam reliable as the C6 ZR1. I have never heard any complaints from any C6 ZR1 owners about superchargers overheating or any major issues. Not to say there aren't any issues that some C6 ZR1 owners may have. Both cars are beautiful, but if an expensive car keeps on giving me mechanical issues, it looses its appeal very quickly. For that I have to say the C6 ZR1 gets my vote. So far I haven't heard any major mechanical issues with the C7 ZR1 yet. Looks like GM did everything right with the C7 ZR1.
The C7 ZR1 is basically perfection minus the trash A8. If they put the ZF in there it would probably be the perfect corvette (excluding what we will see with the C8Z/ZR etc).

Old 11-23-2019, 09:24 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,395 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMorZR1
ZR1's didn't have overheating problems but the design of the intercoolers was subpar and caused a few of us big headaches and big $$$ when they fell apart.
​​​​​​I am positive if you run a C6 zr1 on track, it will overheat.

C7 z06s don't overheat on the street.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:37 PM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

I went through this decision process a few months ago. I ended up with the C7 Z06. Ultimately it came down to a lot of the newer tech in the C7 which put it above the ZR1. After owning a C6 for the past few years I was ready for "newer" and the Z06 fit it nicely.

Try to get a 17+ Z06 as it has the aux radiator and larger sc lid which helps with overheat issues. For sustained 10/10 at the limit driving, you'll need to do some cooling upgrades eventually.

Last edited by SladeX; 11-23-2019 at 09:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ron'sGS (11-23-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 10:06 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow

the c6zr1’s had over heating problems on the track similar to the c7z06’s.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:56 PM
icyteddy
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
the c6zr1’s had over heating problems on the track similar to the c7z06’s.
Perhaps, however, it doesn't seem to be as large of an issues that the C7 Z06 had with its overheating problem. The C7 Z06 overheating issues was immediately recognize during its first year by owners complaints. I am just now hearing of C6 ZR1 overheating on the track from this thread. And the C6 ZR1 is a 10 year old model. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but I just don't hear it from any C6 ZR1 owners themselves. At least not yet. I have been on the track with C6 ZR1 before many times and there wasn't any overheating issues from the ZR1 owners.

As for the C7 Z06 don't overheat on the street, there are complaints out there from owners themselves it overheats on the streets.
That's why I am shocked. On the track its more understandable, but on the street, that is just inexcusable from GM. It makes it seem GM did a rushed job on the C7 Z06.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:05 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

As for the C7 Z06 don't overheat on the street, there are complaints out there from owners themselves it overheats on the streets.
That's why I am shocked.
The car does not overheat on the street. Many of us on this forum speak from experience while others spread fake news.
Lavender (11-24-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 or C6 ZR1...

Old 11-24-2019, 12:46 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,911 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Perhaps, however, it doesn't seem to be as large of an issues that the C7 Z06 had with its overheating problem. The C7 Z06 overheating issues was immediately recognize during its first year by owners complaints. I am just now hearing of C6 ZR1 overheating on the track from this thread. And the C6 ZR1 is a 10 year old model. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but I just don't hear it from any C6 ZR1 owners themselves. At least not yet. I have been on the track with C6 ZR1 before many times and there wasn't any overheating issues from the ZR1 owners.

That's why I am shocked. On the track its more understandable, but on the street, that is just inexcusable from GM. It makes it seem GM did a rushed job on the C7 Z06.
The problem is the over heating myths are over blown. Some people driving A8 C7 Z06s on track have had engine over heating issues. However, there are few to no tales of M7 C7 Z06s over heating on track. For the ones that do over heat GM provided a secondary radiator in late 2015 that was available through dealer parts departments. A simple GM designed/approved mod that became standard production in the 2017 model year. I track my 2015 C7 Z on a regular basis at VIR and other tracks and have never come close to over heating the engine while on track. On top of that while at the track when other C7 Z06s have been running I haven't heard of a single one of the owners complaining about their engine over heating. I sort of suspect rumors of C6 ZR1 overheating falls into the same category. Very few if any have over heated.

I suspect the people with the A8 could reduce the chance of over heating by manually shifting and limiting gear selections to 4, 5 and 6 similar to the way M7 drivers choose their gears. No need to shift early just don't let the transmission grab gears that are so low and that keep rpms high when they don't need to be kept high. When you ride on track in a C7 with an A8 you can hear how hard the transmission revs the engine especially when the throttle isn't wide open. If the driver can't open the throttle because of discretion they need to be in a higher gear where the engine isn't whipping at high rpm while the car isn't changing speed.

Bill

Bill
Z0HS1CK (11-24-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 05:53 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Not on the street, unless there was something wrong with the car, like debris in the radiator, improper coolant fill, fan not working properly, or intercooler not being bled properly.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:08 AM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

overheat problem is overblown for both cars. I felt my decision to get the z06 came down to these key factors:

Updated mag ride and performance track management.
New infotainment and nav options (16+ for android auto)
PTR
Cost of maintenance (rarity of ZR1 parts vs more mass produced Z06)
The feeling when I drove them:
The C6 ZR1 felt faster, but like it was waiting to kill me. The C7 Z06 felt fast and was just kidding when it said it wanted to kill you. I felt the grip levels the C7 Z06 gave were more confidence inspiring than the C6Zr1
serpent (11-24-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 Z06 or C6 ZR1...