C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

People who DD their Z...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 10:36 AM
shiv.nandak
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

3 best things:
-Car is perfect when daily driving. Not even any real issues in snow (ground clearance is the only limiting factor assuming you have snow tires)
-The power - it really changes your driving style. I find myself being alot more relaxed/chill driver, because i know i have the power to overtake anyone weather they want to allow me or not :P
-The dealers assume the car was a garage queen and never winter driven when you try to sell it lol

3 worst things:
-Tire wear - i had to switch to non-runflats. The stock tires lasted literally 6k miles with normal street driving.
-Slight fear when driving on unfamiliar roads/garages. The bumper design is pretty good even when fully lowered. But there will be cases where you will scrape.
-My main issue has been with the A8 transmission tuning during normal street driving. I wish there was a setting to keep it in "performance shift mode" all the time.

Last edited by shiv.nandak; 01-24-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:11 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 258 Posts

3 best things:
-being able to pass anything anywhere (like when a truck is going 15 under the limit on a windy road and you only get like 30 yards of dotted lines to pass at a time)
-the looks/thumbs up you get
-makes commuting a little more bearable

3 worst things:
-tire wear, for sure
-have to be VERY careful of speed bumps and other types of road hazards that other people can just ignore
-driving in the rain can be iffy on roads that have poor drainage
Old 01-24-2019, 04:59 PM
Tort
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts

I don't daily mine in the winter but still try to get it out at least 2-3 times a week if the weather is decent.

3 best:
- never a spot I can't fit the car, be it in traffic or parking
- fun factor is off the charts
- decent amenities (3LZ anyway) and a cockpit that's nice to be behind

3 worst:
- my own fault 100% but, going with catless exhaust was a huge mistake....the smell! ugh
- not a quiet cockpit, even in stealth mode there is a ton of road noise (will be fixing this with sound deadening material this summer)
- no matter what tire you run, these things are nail/screw magnets!
- bonus 4th gripe....I am NOT a fan of the standard seats. Hits my thigh in a weird way and I kept hoping the seat would "wear in" but after 11k miles, no dice. (over 6', under 200, so it's not an issue of thunder thighs...)lol

Last edited by Tort; 01-24-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:01 PM
Tort
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by shiv.nandak
I wish there was a setting to keep it in "performance shift mode" all the time.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:52 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

I only bought my new 2019 Z06 in Dec. 2018. So it stored for the winter. Waiting for spring. A lot of different pros and cons here. But one I have not seen anyone mention not sure what everyone has M7 or auto. No complaints with all that power and shifting or wishing they had one or the other. I know from bringing my Z home and being used to my C5 Z06 6 speed it will take a little adjustment for the 7 speed. This was one of my back and forth on trying to decide which way to
go. Because this is a Pro or con. Depending where you DD your car it can be a real pain.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:58 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZO6 cracker
I only bought my new 2019 Z06 in Dec. 2018. So it stored for the winter. Waiting for spring. A lot of different pros and cons here. But one I have not seen anyone mention not sure what everyone has M7 or auto. No complaints with all that power and shifting or wishing they had one or the other. I know from bringing my Z home and being used to my C5 Z06 6 speed it will take a little adjustment for the 7 speed. This was one of my back and forth on trying to decide which way to
go. Because this is a Pro or con. Depending where you DD your car it can be a real pain.
People say that about manuals, but I see no difference. In traffic, your foot is going to be sitting on the brake in an auto at all times. It's only periodically on the clutch with a manual, and if you space it out well, you can roll in first with clutch out and not worry about it much (you go slower than an auto rolls). I've had a manual with every car I've owned except my very first and then one for about a year when I didn't have a choice, but other than that, in 18 years of driving manual trans and living in congested cities, I've never thought "God I wish I had an auto right now"

Last edited by Toddiesel; 01-24-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:11 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

Yeah I agree with ya. I have never had a issue but I don’t DD my Vette. But I still
dont think it would bother me either because I have take long trips with my other Vette and never minded it.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:08 PM
SharkgrayVetteZ06
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

The cup holders are horrible lol, don't put anything in them and floor it or brake hard it'll go flying out the cup holder and if its a drink from a fast food place or something it'll spill everywhere.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:59 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by SharkgrayVetteZ06
The cup holders are horrible lol, don't put anything in them and floor it or brake hard it'll go flying out the cup holder and if its a drink from a fast food place or something it'll spill everywhere.
That's a true effin story. This is why I don't allow food or drink in the Z! Point against DD, for sure.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:01 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/C7-CORVETTE...-/233121609877

One of our members developed this. Mine will be here this week and let you know my thoughts.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:24 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by saleen556

https://www.ebay.com/itm/C7-CORVETTE...-/233121609877

One of our members developed this. Mine will be here this week and let you know my thoughts.
50 bucks for that?? Cray.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:25 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Guess I thought it was a great idea. We **** away lots of money on these cars. What’s another $50🙄
Old 02-05-2019, 03:27 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Guys are spending $500 for the GM CAI for looks. At least this will keep from spilling anything 😄
Old 02-05-2019, 03:33 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Guess I thought it was a great idea. We **** away lots of money on these cars. What’s another $50🙄
Yeah, but would you spend $30k on a $7k supercharger? It just looks like a $5-$10 piece of plastic. Plus it says "460hp" on it. Pretty cheesy
Old 02-05-2019, 03:39 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Yeah, but would you spend $30k on a $7k supercharger? It just looks like a $5-$10 piece of plastic. Plus it says "460hp" on it. Pretty cheesy
Actually it’s a retractable piece that still allows one to close it. We all know the cup holders are to shallow. This should solve the issue. I’m not selling them. It’s worth it to me👍🏻
Old 02-05-2019, 04:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

I don't daily drive my 15 Z/M7 but have some likes that are similar to others:

- Very flexible power delivery from off idle to insane depending on how much you depress the throttle. A slight tickle will have you pull away from the stop light faster than all the other traffic even if you are caught sleeping at the switch.

- Comfortable, the interior is pleasant to be in and the Comp Seats are great. The seat bottom cushion may feel stiff over a short drive but over longer periods of time it actually provides the support to keep your body relaxed.

-Tuneable Exhaust. Can have it loud in Track Mode all the time or if you want to have it quiet can put in Stealth Mode. With the M7 when the Exhaust is set in Permanent Track Mode it has wide open straight pipes all the time except when running in V4 mode. With M7s V4 engine mode is only available when the Drive Mode is set to Eco. What is great about the exhaust is even when it is open it doesn't make a lot of noise at part throttle but bring the throttle down to the floor and as the boost starts building the noise overwhelms the radio on its loudest setting plus the tire noise and even the wind noise if the windows are open. It is loud. You don't hear anything else. Even with helmeted mounted speakers and a microphone right in front of the lips the intercom is drowned out by the exhaust sound.

- Always and eye catching ride. This can sometimes be a downer since the attention being gathered can sometimes be too much. Of course that happens with a lot of Vettes and we all have to get used to the sight seers and posers that drive all around you and sometimes seem to want to crash into you.

Comment: Ease of Entry/Exit is fine if you have enough room to open the door all the way, make sure the seat is all the way to the rear and remember the rules for getting into all Corvettes since the C4 (84) came out. When entering turn around and face away from the car use your hand to guide your butt away from the seat bolster as you sit and sit down. Once down then swing legs into the car. Saves wear and tear on seat bolsters and keeps you from ripping the buttons off the rear pockets of your pants. Put leg into car first and you will screw things up plus have difficulty getting in. Even if in a tight parking spot and can't get the door all the way open remember Butt first.

Dislikes:
One: Tire Noise. No way around it. Like all other Vettes the rear tires are only about 30 inches from your ears with a thin sheet of plastic between them and your ears. The Michelins make a lot of noise on some types of pavement but I do a lot of track events and true race slicks without a hint of tread make a lot of noise as well.

Bill
Old 02-05-2019, 06:31 PM
RedBaroness
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 58 Posts

The Ebay one looks neat, but I got this one as a Christmas present and so far it's worked well with quite a few designs, although anything tall and top heavy suffer the same issue. My Contigo 16oz (or their 20oz) mug with the spring loaded top works absolutely outstanding in this and stays upright under acceleration forward, back or side to side. Plus with the spring loaded top you have to push the button to allow drink out anyway....and it keeps hot hot and cold cold. I used the mug at work all the time. Other containers of 16 and 20oz bottles with caps also work really well. The only issue I've found is like a 20 oz fountain drink at a restaurant or the like and I generally don't like those because tops often don't stay on well or they leak around the straw if near full and you put some gees on the car.

https://corvetteclips.com/shop/ntwh4...6mu289u5-d32lk
Old 02-06-2019, 03:45 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Actually it’s a retractable piece that still allows one to close it. We all know the cup holders are to shallow. This should solve the issue. I’m not selling them. It’s worth it to me👍🏻
pls let us know how well it works although I’m a little skeptical it’s worth fiddy...

Quick Reply: People who DD their Z...