C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Bent rim disposal

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 07:43 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by C7X46
The Z51 base car has forged wheels and I never had issue with those. This car is the FIRST cart that has ever given me issues including BMW, the rear wheels are too weak.
I have a bent z51 front wheel. Balanced fine but the tech showed me. Smooth as butter up to 175 mph.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:10 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
My guess is that once you've gone through the wringer with bad wheels, leaking air, sourcing and getting quality replacements which will cost you $4K and up, you might think differently. You're fine with it now because you haven't had the problem yet. You're certainly entitled to your opinion and it's your money but consider this: you save 2 grand on an $85k car. That's a savings of 2.25%. Sometime later you will probably have to spend $5k to swap out to decent wheels, plus you have the aggravation of the whole mess added in. How can this possibly be a smart deal in your mind?

You think this is unreasonable because only "some" people would be affected by the bad wheels? That's like thinking that accidents and cancer happen the "other" people so you don't need to be concerned. You and every other buyer are a potential victim. GM could fix the problem at its source by simply making decent forged wheels as standard OEM. The reason they don't is because the pain level for them (higher loss of sales) isn't high enough as long as consumers like yourself accept the sub standard product. And, to be blunt, if an extra $2K on the purchase price is going to bust you then you probably shouldn't be buying a new Vette.
GM could have done a lot of things differently with the C7 besides the wheels they offer with the car but they didn't:
  • They could have built Vettes that didn't have misaligned body panels where the paint rubbed/peeled/flaked off.
  • They could have built Z06s from day 1 with fender cove inserts that were the correct size that didn't flex/move around & damage the paint around the edges of the inserts.
  • They could have built Z06s from day 1 that didn't overheat.
  • They could have built a quality automatic instead of the A8 they put in Vettes
I could go on. Some have or have had issues with these things but many haven't.

You keep saying things like:
  • "...which will cost you $4k and up..." or "...you will probably have to spend $5K..." - Nope. Not a snowballs chance in hell I will spend $4k - $5k on wheels.
  • "You and every other buyer are a potential victim." - That's right POTENTIAL/POSSIBLE. Guaranteed to happen NO.
I'm not the type who goes around worrying/stressing out about things that are beyond my control, especially on a car. Yes, be aware of potential issues & do what I can to mitigate them but it's a waste of time to worry about 'what ifs'. If something happens then I deal with the situation & move on. Just like I'm dealing with my fender cove insert paint issue on my own because I got tired of waiting on the dealership I use to get off their butt.

You don't have to worry about me buying a new Vette. My current one is my 3rd & I bought all 3 of them used. I'd rather pay less & let someone else take initial depreciation hit the second they drive it off the lot.

I bought my '18 M7 2LZ Z06/Z07 this past July with 747 miles on it. The car had an MSRP of $98,530 & I got it for less than $78k. The original owner had it for 11 months & didn't even put 750 miles on it. I hope he paid less than MSRP for those 68 miles per month that he averaged. Then again I'm assuming he has more money than he knows what to do with so it probably didn't matter to him what he paid for it or if he took a loss on it. Whatever the story is it worked out well for me.

Last edited by Oneslackr; 01-23-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:31 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

The only comment I will make is how did dealer PDI team know they had a Z06 with a bent wheel off truck.
One other note was told that bent wheels on Corvettes, Camaro’s and CTS V’s is a know problem seems it’s something to do with the way the wide wheels are tied down in transport. My next car will be put on lift put dial indicator on back side and turn wheel looking for bent rims.
I have three bent rims no pot holes I now have 4 2019 ZR1 forged chrome wheels thanks to house of wheels.
z51vett
Doug

Last edited by z51vett; 01-23-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:42 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 637 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Oneslackr
GM could have done a lot of things differently with the C7 besides the wheels they offer with the car but they didn't:
  • They could have built Vettes that didn't have misaligned body panels where the paint rubbed/peeled/flaked off.
  • They could have built Z06s from day 1 with fender cove inserts that were the correct size that didn't flex/move around & damage the paint around the edges of the inserts.
  • They could have built Z06s from day 1 that didn't overheat.
  • They could have built a quality automatic instead of the A8 they put in Vettes
I could go on. Some have or have had issues with these things but many haven't.

You keep saying things like:
  • "...which will cost you $4k and up..." or "...you will probably have to spend $5K..." - Nope. Not a snowballs chance in hell I will spend $4k - $5k on wheels.
  • "You and every other buyer are a potential victim." - That's right POTENTIAL/POSSIBLE. Guaranteed to happen NO.
I'm not the type who goes around worrying/stressing out about things that are beyond my control, especially on a car. Yes, be aware of potential issues & do what I can to mitigate them but it's a waste of time to worry about 'what ifs'. If something happens then I deal with the situation & move on. Just like I'm dealing with my fender cove insert paint issue on my own because I got tired of waiting on the dealership I use to get off their butt.

You don't have to worry about me buying a new Vette. My current one is my 3rd & I bought all 3 of them used. I'd rather pay less & let someone else take initial depreciation hit the second they drive it off the lot.

I bought my '18 M7 2LZ Z06/Z07 this past July with 747 miles on it. The car had an MSRP of $98,530 & I got it for less than $78k. The original owner had for 11 months & didn't even put 750 miles on it. I hope he paid less than MSRP for those 68 miles per month that he averaged. Then again I'm assuming he has more money than he knows what to do with so it probably didn't matter to him what he paid for it or if he took a loss on it. Whatever the story is it worked out well for me.
Sounds like you are a bit stressed out what with the list of C7 grievances you listed. Bottom line is we all make choices and live with them. In your case, it works for you and that's fine. Buying used definitely saves a lot of depreciation bucks. I, too, have had multiple Vettes, some used and some new. However, the point I am making to you and other readers is that the problem is solvable at the source, just as the other items you mentioned which are all valid. I've run businesses for a long, long time and one lesson that applies to every business is that if you don't treat your customers right, they will eventually walk. The Corvette situation makes me wonder if GM has reached the point where they think people will keep buying, even when the quality slips. If they truly have, Corvette's days are numbered. Enjoy that M7.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:08 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Sounds like you are a bit stressed out what with the list of C7 grievances you listed.
Lol. Nah, just making a point that GM has dropped the ball numerous times on the C7s but even so the issues don't plaque most owners.

Bottom line is we all make choices and live with them. In your case, it works for you and that's fine. Buying used definitely saves a lot of depreciation bucks. I, too, have had multiple Vettes, some used and some new. However, the point I am making to you and other readers is that the problem is solvable at the source, just as the other items you mentioned which are all valid. I've run businesses for a long, long time and one lesson that applies to every business is that if you don't treat your customers right, they will eventually walk. The Corvette situation makes me wonder if GM has reached the point where they think people will keep buying, even when the quality slips. If they truly have, Corvette's days are numbered. Enjoy that M7.
You're correct on both points. Don't get me wrong, I understand your point of view as it relates to the wheels. Yes, GM could fix the issue during assembly & offer forged wheels for less than buying aftermarket ones (though those of you who have bought aftermarket wheels have so many more style choices/colors etc..to choose from). If the price increase was $2k or so I think most would willing pay it. I just always balk at - Hey, just add XYZ to the car & increase the price, what's the big deal.

As for initially offering a quality product & taking better care of customers when it comes to warranty related issues after the sale, well, I guess the C8 will tell the tale. It they don't step up their game it could spell the end of America's sports car.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:09 AM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Oneslackr
Lol. Nah, just making a point that GM has dropped the ball numerous times on the C7s but even so the issues don't plaque most owners.

You're correct on both points. Don't get me wrong, I understand your point of view as it relates to the wheels. Yes, GM could fix the issue during assembly & offer forged wheels for less than buying aftermarket ones (though those of you who have bought aftermarket wheels have so many more style choices/colors etc..to choose from). If the price increase was $2k or so I think most would willing pay it. I just always balk at - Hey, just add XYZ to the car & increase the price, what's the big deal.

As for initially offering a quality product & taking better care of customers when it comes to warranty related issues after the sale, well, I guess the C8 will tell the tale. It they don't step up their game it could spell the end of America's sports car.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:29 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

I bought my 2016 Z used in December 2017 with 30K miles on it. Prior to purchase I had Chevy do an inspection and they found a cracked rear wheel. It never did lose air.
The high end used dealer I bought from got me a new wheel. Then I come here and find these cracked wheel threads!

I ran over one of those hard road joints in a construction area last fall. Seems like everything is ok but will find out during the spring oil change.
Since I didn't pay anywhere near list for the car, shelling out another $4-5K for forged wheels represents a decent % of the purchase price.
I'm thinking if I find a cracked wheel I'll just get an aftermarket copy for <$300. If several are cracked I may call it a day for the Z. Just thinking aloud.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:29 AM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Viking0728
I bought it from House of Wheels, they are a forum vendor. No discussion of the core and great service and price. Wheel was perfect.
I purchased a set of ZR1 wheels from House of Wheels. This were dealer swap-outs (chrome). The ZR1 wheels are rolled forged and will be stronger than my GS wheels.

Found this was a reasonable alternative to Forged wheels.

Will sell my GS Chrome wheels on the forum when I do the replacement in the spring.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:52 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy
I purchased a set of ZR1 wheels from House of Wheels. This were dealer swap-outs (chrome). The ZR1 wheels are rolled forged and will be stronger than my GS wheels.

Found this was a reasonable alternative to Forged wheels.

Will sell my GS Chrome wheels on the forum when I do the replacement in the spring.
Just be aware that the rolled or flow-forged wheels are cast like the OEM's with only the rim edges strength improved somewhat, hence the price which is about half the monoblock forged wheel starting point. They're better than the OEM's but only better by half.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:42 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 738 Likes on 556 Posts

If GM offered an upgrade to the forged wheels I would of spent the extra $$ and got them[ that's just me though ]
Old 02-03-2019, 02:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Bill, the ZO6 threads on the forum would suggest otherwise...that these cars' wheels seem especially prone to bending and cracking. I've had numerous GM vehicles and never remember having a bent wheel. A lot of guys on the ZO6 threads often don't realize theirs are bent until they have them on the road force balancer. Invariably, the story is the same...they can't recall hitting anything of note and a lot of the bent wheels turn out to be also cracked on the inner barrels. This isn't found until the wheel starts to leak air and the car goes to the shop. Other wheels are hardly comparable to the wide ZO6's in terms of width structure nor are they running stiff sidewall run-flats so, naturally, the incidence of bending on the ZO6's will be a lot more than the generic GM or other manufacturers wheels.
Just because there are some people complaining about Z06 wheels bending doesn't mean it is an epidemic. The vast majority of owners aren't complaining. Also how serious of an issue is it? So the edge of the wheel is bent. Does the tire lose pressure? If not, is that something that has to be fixed right away? Probably not ever. Now if a wheel is cracked that is a problem but how many bent wheels are cracked? Not a hell of a lot. The C6Z also had wide cast wheels with a much stiffer run flat tire than the Michelins that come on the C7. How many people are complaining about their wheels bending? Forged wheels are not necessarily the answer, the C5's were delivered with 2 versions (high polish or painted) of forged 5 spoke wheels starting in 2000 and by the end of 2002 GM had seen enough cracked wheel issues they changed them over to cast wheels with slightly thicker spokes to provide the required strength.

From a general standpoint if drivers don't always feel a vibration with bent wheels there could be millions of vehicles running around with bent wheels and people wouldn't know. Not everybody gets a road force balance or has a tire guy that tells them their wheel is bent when they change tires. Most tire shops are production affairs and the message is get them in and get them out as fast as possible a lot of bent wheels just get a few more balance weights and thrown back on the car with the owner driving off dumb and happy.

Bill
Old 02-03-2019, 02:52 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Received 666 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by MiamiCowboy
Make a coffee table.
won't sit level
Old 02-03-2019, 05:48 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Just because there are some people complaining about Z06 wheels bending doesn't mean it is an epidemic. The vast majority of owners aren't complaining. Also how serious of an issue is it? So the edge of the wheel is bent. Does the tire lose pressure? If not, is that something that has to be fixed right away? Probably not ever. Now if a wheel is cracked that is a problem but how many bent wheels are cracked? Not a hell of a lot. The C6Z also had wide cast wheels with a much stiffer run flat tire than the Michelins that come on the C7. How many people are complaining about their wheels bending? Forged wheels are not necessarily the answer, the C5's were delivered with 2 versions (high polish or painted) of forged 5 spoke wheels starting in 2000 and by the end of 2002 GM had seen enough cracked wheel issues they changed them over to cast wheels with slightly thicker spokes to provide the required strength.

From a general standpoint if drivers don't always feel a vibration with bent wheels there could be millions of vehicles running around with bent wheels and people wouldn't know. Not everybody gets a road force balance or has a tire guy that tells them their wheel is bent when they change tires. Most tire shops are production affairs and the message is get them in and get them out as fast as possible a lot of bent wheels just get a few more balance weights and thrown back on the car with the owner driving off dumb and happy.

Bill
Your contention is a combination of there's not really that many bent wheels and there's probably far more than any knows. Then your conclusion is apparently that this should all simply be accepted. The fact of the matter is these wheels are sub-standard and they don't just bend, they will eventually crack which then leads to the inevitable leaks at some point. That is the real end point problem with the OEM's and it's ridiculous to just give it a pass. I appreciate that you're a tech contributor but then you're not talking to some kid who just started playing with cars either; I've been at it since 1961 and have seen and dealt with a lot of the problems cars of all stripes can have. One thing that stands out is over the years is that when a product goes cheap, the predictable end result always happens.

Decent forged wheels solves the problem. Why is that such a difficult thing for some to accept?
Old 02-19-2020, 06:59 PM
James Walt
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

yes it can be fixed, actually in the morning I am taking my front 19 inch to a place in tupelo that does this type of work.

I feel like I have another one that is bent as well but i will find out
Old 02-19-2020, 08:06 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by James Walt
yes it can be fixed, actually in the morning I am taking my front 19 inch to a place in tupelo that does this type of work.

I feel like I have another one that is bent as well but i will find out
James, you're wasting your money. Reforming the bent/cracked wheel will weaken it further and it will only bend again very soon. You'll be out 150 bucks and end up having the same aggravation again. Whoever told you they can straighten or otherwise fix them is either ignorant of the problem or is just going to take your money. I suspect ignorance is the correct option in this case. Don't do it.
The following users liked this post:
DALE#3 (03-05-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 09:18 AM
Track
Pro

Received 274 Likes on 193 Posts

I have now had 7 bent and cracked wheels in 12k miles, and have never run over anything outside normal freeway expansion joints. I don't run the car hard and don't track it. Can anyone really compare these wheels to anything other than junk? I have a lot of friends with Mercs and Bmr's, they may get a bend or crack here and there, but not 7 in 12k miles. The driving feel is not noticeable with the bends, and I never felt vibration. I would go as far as to say if your Z06 has more than 10k miles, your wheels are likely bent and you just don't know it yet.

If you figure out something to do with them, I have 8 laying around now!

PS...and I read Tadge's thread too. Just like GM he is in denial.

Last edited by Track; 02-23-2020 at 09:21 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Track:
MotleyDrew (03-05-2020), solotronics (03-10-2020), WickedSpeed (03-25-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 01:00 PM
snork
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Track
I have now had 7 bent and cracked wheels in 12k miles, and have never run over anything outside normal freeway expansion joints. I don't run the car hard and don't track it. Can anyone really compare these wheels to anything other than junk? I have a lot of friends with Mercs and Bmr's, they may get a bend or crack here and there, but not 7 in 12k miles. The driving feel is not noticeable with the bends, and I never felt vibration. I would go as far as to say if your Z06 has more than 10k miles, your wheels are likely bent and you just don't know it yet.

If you figure out something to do with them, I have 8 laying around now!

PS...and I read Tadge's thread too. Just like GM he is in denial.
If you're in the Dallas area I'd take a couple off your hands

Get notified of new replies

To Bent rim disposal

Old 02-23-2020, 02:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Your contention is a combination of there's not really that many bent wheels and there's probably far more than any knows. Then your conclusion is apparently that this should all simply be accepted.
Huh?? Not sure how you got that out of what I said. Never said anything about there are far more than anybody knows since I have no idea how many wheels are involved. I do know there aren't a hell of a lot of complaints as evidenced right here on the forum. If there were a lot of wheels being bent the number of posts and threads dedicated to that subject would far exceed the number of posts and threads dedicated to the Z06 overheating issue.

Bill
Old 02-23-2020, 02:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

OP: If you want to get rid of your wheel, run it down to your local scrap yard and sell it for scrap value. You might get enough money back to pay for the gas you spent driving there and back. A number of years ago I had a lot of cracked rotors that I had taken off my car during track events. I put them in the back of my Tahoe and went to the scrap yard. They paid me $0.13 cents per pound for 575 lbs of scrap cast iron.

It looks like scrap old cast aluminum is running somewhere between 0.30 and 0.34 cents per pound now.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Road machine (02-25-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 03:24 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Huh?? Not sure how you got that out of what I said. Never said anything about there are far more than anybody knows since I have no idea how many wheels are involved. I do know there aren't a hell of a lot of complaints as evidenced right here on the forum. If there were a lot of wheels being bent the number of posts and threads dedicated to that subject would far exceed the number of posts and threads dedicated to the Z06 overheating issue.

Bill
For God's sake, there are multiple threads on the forum regarding the wheel problem - one of them has over 400 entries and growing every day. What's the point in denying the obvious? Every day a new report is posted by somebody. The wheels are a problem, pure and simple.

Quick Reply: Bent rim disposal