Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 Z06 Discussion
Reload this Page >

Former driving school - warranty limitations?

Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Former driving school - warranty limitations?

Old 02-28-2019, 08:33 PM
SoCalC7
CF Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I took a look at one of the DCM Z06 today that originated from Fellows, and my DD Z51 with 50K miles is still in about the same (or even better) aesthetic condition than the school/track car with 7K miles on it.

The service records are nice to see, but it’s clear the techs aren’t overly careful with some of the work they do. For instance, many of the cars have brake calipers with obviously eroded paint, I suspect due to brake fluid dripping down onto the calipers during a bleed.

The price difference wasn’t enough for me to justify.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:53 PM
pkincy
CF Senior Member

Received 468 Likes on 365 Posts

Thank you for the actual eyes on comments.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:47 AM
Speedfreaq
CF Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Ditto. I drove to redline with WOT repeatedly on laps reaching speed of 128, lateral g of 1.37 at the limits of hard late braking into corners, engaging stabilitrack regularly. Even in February, the car fan ran after shutting down the engine after just a 25 minute session. Also, we did wet testing of the abs brakes, some did launch control and others we tried weather mode in water and got the rear end loose just to have the system completely kill the engine timing to get the rear end back in line.

buyer should be a mechanic or know one, in my opinion.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:16 PM
08redharley

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy View Post
It would be most interesting to actually here from a buyer what they actually paid for a DC Motors ex SM car. They typically are listed in the $69-72k range. My guess is that a buy price is likely $65k or so. Putting them in the $8-10k discount range for a Z07, 3LZ 2017. These are $100+k sticker cars with about 8 months and 8,000 miles of service on them.
I personally would not, for a few grand, take the chance. Assuming the prices in this thread are anywhere near accurate, hard looking can find you a new or almost new ride with warranty. I found a dealer in a small town in Tennessee that had a black Z06 3LZ Z07. Sticker was 105K. Made a deal for 80 and we both were happy. He was floor panned and paying monthly. His odds of selling that car in a town of 4,000 was low but he had to take the car from Chevrolet. The car had 12 miles on the odometer after setting in the showroom for 2 years. There are deals out there if you look.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:06 AM
TBF
CF Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought a 2015 Z51 from DC motors. It was a Spring Mountain car. The car was well maintained. I was able to gain all of the maintenance logs. The car was sold with new rotors and brake pads, new tires, fresh oil in all areas. The anti freeze was fresh and the car ran very well. Yes there was a block on the warranty. I had to find a dealer that would work with me. NOTE: TWO DEALERS in Las Vegas wouldn't touch the car unless I paid for all repair!!! I moved to Las Vegas and ran into a similar problem but did find a great Chevy Service department with Alamo Chevy. Great group of mechanics. Terrible sales team (I bought a 2019 Z-06 last fall, they didn't have the desire to get me the car I wanted at anything other then above sticker. They wanted to sell me what they had on the floret sticker. Shame because the service dept is so good)
LIMITED Warranty - Drive train, suspension and steering. All else covered. I had the Air-conditioner Compressor fail with 30 days left on the warranty. Alamo replaced it and the belt tensioner.

The only real issues were
1. DC Motors is the worst used car dealer i have ever worked with. I selected my car over the internet. When I got there I realized they had sent me info and serial number for different cars. Be very careful as they have multi cars looking alike but with different issues. The car I saw on the internet had no blemishes on the paint or rims. When I got there the car they said I put a deposit on was in very bad cosmetic condition. I showed them the pictures and we found the car I thought I was buying. After hours of discussion they agreed to sell me the car but I had to pay more!!! They are sleazy used car dealers. The paper work was all messed up and no one wanted to help. I took the car and had to wait 4 weeks before I received the proper paper work. Again DC Motors is the typical Used Car dealer your Mom warned you about!

2. The windshield at night shows the effects of sand blasting. This is to be expected.

3. The aluminum around the shifter (7M) appeared to have little dings similar to someones watch or bracket hitting the aluminum when shifting.
The following users liked this post:
pkincy (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 10:59 PM
Big Lebowski
CF Senior Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by rcgldr View Post
I see a few C7 Z06's listed at cargurus that include a disclaimer in the car description: "this vehicle is a former factory licensed GM driving school Corvette and is under factory warranty with limitations" . It goes on to state you need to inquire for further information, but rather than trust a sales person, I'm wondering if anyone here knows what the limitations are. I assume these cars are from Spring Mountain school. From some videos I've seen a lot of the driving is "follow the leader", at well under track pace, but I also assume there some actual spirited driving where the cars get abused.
I was just at Spring Mountain last week for COS, and yes they are “follow the leader” track sessions but I would not want to buy one of THOSE cars...at least not mine. Not to mention, the SAME cars are used for the Level 1 and Level 2 classes. To put the wear and tear on these cars in perspective they said a set of tires in the COS will last 7-10 days, whereas a set of tires will only last 3 days in the Level 2 class. Thanks, but no.

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 03-05-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:58 PM
isabelledobell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcgldr View Post
I see a few C7 Z06's listed at cargurus that include a disclaimer in the car description: "this vehicle is a former factory licensed GM driving school Corvette and is under factory warranty with limitations" . It goes on to state you need to inquire for further information, but rather than trust a salesperson, I'm wondering if anyone here knows what the limitations are. I assume these cars are from Spring Mountain school. From some videos I've seen a lot of the driving is "follow the leader", at well under track pace, but I also assume there some actual spirited driving where the cars get abused.
This is a great driving school, suitable for all students. I know the same excellent writing essay service uk.papersowl.com, where you will find everything you need to write an essay, this is one of the best educational services, I think you will like it. I will help every student, write to me.

Last edited by isabelledobell; 05-16-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:38 PM
08redharley

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ron Fellows driving school

Originally Posted by isabelledobell View Post
This is a great driving school, suitable for all students.
Could not agree more. What the Z06 will do in the hands of expert drivers is beyond amazing. It give one the opportunity to drive a car like you drive, in an all out manner, with the necessary instructional assistance. Just came back and want to do it again!!! As far as car abuse, they maintain the heck out of these cars. As far as “follow the leader” driving, you can drive as fast as your abilities let you. You are chasing an expert drive and will not catch him, no matter how good one thinks they are.

Last edited by 08redharley; 05-15-2019 at 08:42 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Former driving school - warranty limitations?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: