C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Former driving school - warranty limitations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 08:33 PM
SoCalC7
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 70 Posts

I took a look at one of the DCM Z06 today that originated from Fellows, and my DD Z51 with 50K miles is still in about the same (or even better) aesthetic condition than the school/track car with 7K miles on it.

The service records are nice to see, but it’s clear the techs aren’t overly careful with some of the work they do. For instance, many of the cars have brake calipers with obviously eroded paint, I suspect due to brake fluid dripping down onto the calipers during a bleed.

The price difference wasn’t enough for me to justify.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:53 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Thank you for the actual eyes on comments.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:47 AM
Speedfreaq
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Ditto. I drove to redline with WOT repeatedly on laps reaching speed of 128, lateral g of 1.37 at the limits of hard late braking into corners, engaging stabilitrack regularly. Even in February, the car fan ran after shutting down the engine after just a 25 minute session. Also, we did wet testing of the abs brakes, some did launch control and others we tried weather mode in water and got the rear end loose just to have the system completely kill the engine timing to get the rear end back in line.

buyer should be a mechanic or know one, in my opinion.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:16 PM
08redharley
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
It would be most interesting to actually here from a buyer what they actually paid for a DC Motors ex SM car. They typically are listed in the $69-72k range. My guess is that a buy price is likely $65k or so. Putting them in the $8-10k discount range for a Z07, 3LZ 2017. These are $100+k sticker cars with about 8 months and 8,000 miles of service on them.
I personally would not, for a few grand, take the chance. Assuming the prices in this thread are anywhere near accurate, hard looking can find you a new or almost new ride with warranty. I found a dealer in a small town in Tennessee that had a black Z06 3LZ Z07. Sticker was 105K. Made a deal for 80 and we both were happy. He was floor panned and paying monthly. His odds of selling that car in a town of 4,000 was low but he had to take the car from Chevrolet. The car had 12 miles on the odometer after setting in the showroom for 2 years. There are deals out there if you look.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:06 AM
TBF
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I bought a 2015 Z51 from DC motors. It was a Spring Mountain car. The car was well maintained. I was able to gain all of the maintenance logs. The car was sold with new rotors and brake pads, new tires, fresh oil in all areas. The anti freeze was fresh and the car ran very well. Yes there was a block on the warranty. I had to find a dealer that would work with me. NOTE: TWO DEALERS in Las Vegas wouldn't touch the car unless I paid for all repair!!! I moved to Las Vegas and ran into a similar problem but did find a great Chevy Service department with Alamo Chevy. Great group of mechanics. Terrible sales team (I bought a 2019 Z-06 last fall, they didn't have the desire to get me the car I wanted at anything other then above sticker. They wanted to sell me what they had on the floret sticker. Shame because the service dept is so good)
LIMITED Warranty - Drive train, suspension and steering. All else covered. I had the Air-conditioner Compressor fail with 30 days left on the warranty. Alamo replaced it and the belt tensioner.

The only real issues were
1. DC Motors is the worst used car dealer i have ever worked with. I selected my car over the internet. When I got there I realized they had sent me info and serial number for different cars. Be very careful as they have multi cars looking alike but with different issues. The car I saw on the internet had no blemishes on the paint or rims. When I got there the car they said I put a deposit on was in very bad cosmetic condition. I showed them the pictures and we found the car I thought I was buying. After hours of discussion they agreed to sell me the car but I had to pay more!!! They are sleazy used car dealers. The paper work was all messed up and no one wanted to help. I took the car and had to wait 4 weeks before I received the proper paper work. Again DC Motors is the typical Used Car dealer your Mom warned you about!

2. The windshield at night shows the effects of sand blasting. This is to be expected.

3. The aluminum around the shifter (7M) appeared to have little dings similar to someones watch or bracket hitting the aluminum when shifting.
The following 2 users liked this post by TBF:
Misterioso (04-11-2020), pkincy (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 10:59 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,970 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by rcgldr
I see a few C7 Z06's listed at cargurus that include a disclaimer in the car description: "this vehicle is a former factory licensed GM driving school Corvette and is under factory warranty with limitations" . It goes on to state you need to inquire for further information, but rather than trust a sales person, I'm wondering if anyone here knows what the limitations are. I assume these cars are from Spring Mountain school. From some videos I've seen a lot of the driving is "follow the leader", at well under track pace, but I also assume there some actual spirited driving where the cars get abused.
I was just at Spring Mountain last week for COS, and yes they are “follow the leader” track sessions but I would not want to buy one of THOSE cars...at least not mine. Not to mention, the SAME cars are used for the Level 1 and Level 2 classes. To put the wear and tear on these cars in perspective they said a set of tires in the COS will last 7-10 days, whereas a set of tires will only last 3 days in the Level 2 class. Thanks, but no.

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 03-05-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:38 PM
08redharley
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ron Fellows driving school

Originally Posted by isabelledobell
This is a great driving school, suitable for all students.
Could not agree more. What the Z06 will do in the hands of expert drivers is beyond amazing. It give one the opportunity to drive a car like you drive, in an all out manner, with the necessary instructional assistance. Just came back and want to do it again!!! As far as car abuse, they maintain the heck out of these cars. As far as “follow the leader” driving, you can drive as fast as your abilities let you. You are chasing an expert drive and will not catch him, no matter how good one thinks they are.

Last edited by 08redharley; 05-15-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:10 AM
holleyatt
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this would be about accident limits and changing parts to return the car to the original owner. Idk; I have so many problems with cars. I'm tired of spending a lot of money to repair them, so I decided that I'm going to study at vocational school. Still, there are many branches of this field, and I don't know what I could choose. After talking to dad, he recommended searching for a career here. I did many calculations, and I had many doubts, but I decided to go as an auto engineer in the end. Now I am learning and working to become the best in the field.

Last edited by holleyatt; 06-14-2021 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:25 AM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 276 Posts

My spring mountain experience / viewpoint: The cars were EXTREMELY well maintained but driven extremely hard.

During my experience, they broke down the lead follow sessions into groups. Group 1 was the fastest guys and then got progressively slower with higher group numbers.

They put me in group 1 to start with, and I was EXTREMELY uncomfortable and told them so. They moved me to group 2 for one session, and then right back to group 1. LOL. At that point I was OK and much more comfortable as I had some autoX experience but this was my first track time. With the instructor out front, the first follow car really would set the pace for the group of 4 cars. The faster they pushed, the faster the instructor would let the group go

Long story short, group 1 was about 4 seconds off the times being run during the hot laps with the instructors driving. The instructor said we were pacing the cars at ~9/10ths. So the cars definitely werent being babied or out for joy laps.

Last edited by atljar; 06-10-2021 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:26 PM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 371 Likes on 220 Posts

I know a guy that bought a Spring Mtn Z06 and it looked brand new.

Cars are very well maintained there and it been a couple of years now and zero issues.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:48 PM
SkinS
Heel & Toe

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Spring Mt cars are a good buy.

DC motors is not a good dealer. They will do the bait and switch if you put a deposit down on a car. They told me what ever I needed to hear while on the phone. When I showed up the salesman I worked with wasn't available even though we set a date and time that I would fly in from out of town. The guy they assigned me was not interested , gave me the wrong car, couldn't find the title for the car I put a deposit on and was all around an unhappy individual difficult to work with. It took 3 weeks to get the title and paper work correct. Management was not interested in helping. I PAID CASH. THEY DEPOSITED MY BANK DRAFT BEFORE I GOT THE CAR OUT OF THE PARKING LOT!

If you can find one from someplace other than DC motors I recommend going there.

Quick Reply: Former driving school - warranty limitations?