C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Need your opinion on tires...Z06!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 01:47 PM
taylosw
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Need your opinion on tires...Z06!

Hey there, I've been definitely doing my research and would love to hear opinions on my next set of tires.

I have a '17 Z06 2LZ - Mainly Stock with the Z06 Black Rims, 19's in front, 20's in the rear.

I'm looking for your thoughts on the following tires as I'm in the market for new ones.

I live in Las Vegas, Corvette doesn't see rain or snow, so I'm looking for the best street tire for my situation, as I don't plan on tracking the car. I obviously like to do the typical spirit driving within reason and safety and I feel like tires are very important as I'm fairly new to all this "car" stuff.

What do you think about the following or just let me know your preference of tire for my scenario.

Cup 2's
MPSS's (Currently on the car)
A/S 3's
Conti's Extreme Weather
and any other suggestions or links you may have.

I'm leaning toward Cup 2's but I heard they pick up EVERYTHING on the road and they become a pain. Also heard they aren't good for weather below 40 F, (potential cracking etc) as Vegas has about 1-2 months where the temperatures get around this.

Thank you so much in advance. I truly appreciate it.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:28 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

If you drive in the rain a lot A/S 3's. If you drive in the rain occasionally MPSS's. If you never drive in the rain and don't mind replacing tires twice as often as MPSS's go with the cups. You'll probably get the most mileage out of the A/S 3's but I just bought mine so I can't tell you for sure. I love the cups as long as it's warm and the road is dry. Mpss's are better in the rain but not as good as the A/S 3's. You also don't have to worry about temp with the A/S 3's. I have multiple sets of wheels and tires and track my car so I have A/S 3's on one set of wheels for the street and cup's on 2 sets of wheels.
The following users liked this post:
taylosw (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 02:56 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

The Cup2 ZPs and the PSS ZPs will progressively lose grip at temps below 45 degrees. However, the loss isn't that bad and as long as you practice throttle control. The LT4 has very high torque levels at low rpms which mean small throttle movements can dictate large increases/decreases in torque being applied to the rear wheels which can shock the rear tires into breaking loose from the pavement.

Michelin warns owners not to Operate OR Store the Cup2s at temps below 21 degrees. I have regularly driven both the Cup2 ZPs and the PSS ZPs in upper 20s temps with no issues.

Bill
taylosw (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 03:06 PM
taylosw
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The Cup2 ZPs and the PSS ZPs will progressively lose grip at temps below 45 degrees. However, the loss isn't that bad and as long as you practice throttle control. The LT4 has very high torque levels at low rpms which mean small throttle movements can dictate large increases/decreases in torque being applied to the rear wheels which can shock the rear tires into breaking loose from the pavement.

Michelin warns owners not to Operate OR Store the Cup2s at temps below 21 degrees. I have regularly driven both the Cup2 ZPs and the PSS ZPs in upper 20s temps with no issues.

Bill
Thank you for this response. May look into the Cup 2's then, have you had issues with it picking up everything on the road. One user quotes """" Picked up so many things on the road, tires become un-driveable (if that's a word) after 1k miles... """ Seems a bit out there no?
Old 01-22-2019, 03:10 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

I would stay with the MPSS. Their life span is short. but probable double of Cup 2's
taylosw (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 03:12 PM
taylosw
Instructor

Yeah I have the MPSS's now, however around 10k miles I've noticed some issues with traction; not too bad when warmed up though. Once I get new tires, going in and getting the proper alignment with them which should make them last longer if I decide to go that route
Old 01-22-2019, 03:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by taylosw
Thank you for this response. May look into the Cup 2's then, have you had issues with it picking up everything on the road. One user quotes """" Picked up so many things on the road, tires become un-driveable (if that's a word) after 1k miles... """ Seems a bit out there no?
They are basically streetable R Compound tires. When the tread gets hot they will pick up stuff including small stones. However, you have to be pushing them hard in an autocross or on the track to get them up to that temperature. Just putt putting around town won't get the temp that high. Most stock size tires are going to throw debris on the side of the car. The Cup2s may be a little worse but you need to protect the sides of the car no matter which tire you put on the car. Even with side skirts and wide aftermarket mud guards little sand sized pebbles will be thrown under the mud guard and above the side skirt and impact the rear of the door, the brake duct inlet and the rear quarter panel. This has been true on all Corvettes since the 97 came out. Wide body cars are just worse than standard body cars.

Bill
Old 01-22-2019, 04:23 PM
taylosw
Instructor

Yeah, looks like I'm going to get a set of those and see where to go from there. I have Side Skirts and some plastic on the quarter panels; honestly don't even notice anything yet. I basically drive 80 freeway miles every weekend and that's the only time I drive the car, sometimes I take it to my parents house (30 miles away) but it's mainly freeway or side streets.

Also, Should I go ZP or Non-ZP? ZP is the run flat version and I've heard that a lot of people prefer the NON-ZP. Whys that?

Last edited by taylosw; 01-22-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:48 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah, looks like I'm going to get a set of those and see where to go from there. I have Side Skirts and some plastic on the quarter panels; honestly don't even notice anything yet. I basically drive 80 freeway miles every weekend and that's the only time I drive the car, sometimes I take it to my parents house (30 miles away) but it's mainly freeway or side streets.

Also, Should I go ZP or Non-ZP? ZP is the run flat version and I've heard that a lot of people prefer the NON-ZP. Whys that?
If you settle on the Cups, there are usually several sets for sale on the Forum and you could save yourself a few $s and have the chance to see how you like them before committing to a new set for much more $s.

Last edited by nmerhaut; 01-23-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:54 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

If your not tracking the car then the new AS3 is the best option. Plenty of grip and no worries about cold temps.
The following 2 users liked this post by saleen556:
AZGASSER (01-24-2019), Panth3r (01-24-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 01:16 PM
taylosw
Instructor

Thanks everyone. Definitely a tough choice. Basically looking for the best possible traction for straight aways as basically that's all I do when I get on the freeways here in town. If there's a cloud in the sky, the car stays in the garage and covered.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:22 PM
CliffB-99
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 78 Posts

If you ever go on a road trip and get caught in the rain, the Cup 2's are not great. Been on caravan's with Corvettes with the Cup 2's, and they have to go to the back of the line in a rainstorm because of the hydroplaning. They couldn't keep up with the flow of traffic in the rain. MPSS is the best tire if you don't track your car.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:49 PM
Ag3ofshadows
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd go with the A/S 3's. You're not going to track the car, and likely won't be able to take advantage of the sticky-ness of the MPSS's. The A/S 3's should last significantly longer than the MPSS's, and offer similar performance + a better ride for less money.

$0.02
The following 2 users liked this post by Ag3ofshadows:
AZGASSER (01-24-2019), badhabit_wb (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 05:39 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

I have the Cup2 on my Z06 and find that they never really warm up on the street...which makes sense as they are track tires and operate in the 190 degree range. I found the MPSS at SM to have better grip at street driving temps...go figure.
nmerhaut (01-26-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 05:57 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I don't like the Cup 2's. Many will disagree, but that's just me. They are dangerous in any wet conditions. The a/s3's will last the longest and ride the best, ie not as harsh. The reg MPSS's will probably suit your needs the best from what you have stated above. I've not run Conti's, but have talked to some that have, but all of them totally baby drive their Vette's and have liked them, but again-no aggressive driving on them at all. I have a friend with a C7 GS and they went with the new Michelin 4's, but they are bigger than stock. No issues yet and have had them for a few months of daily driving on them.
taylosw (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 12:01 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

A lot of people on here run the Toyo R888Rs and are quite happy with them. I just got a set myself. Haven't been able to drive on them yet, but they fit the stock wheels and are going to stick better than either the PSS or the SC2, and have about as good wet weather traction as the PSS, but only last about as long as the SC2, from what I understand.
taylosw (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 12:39 PM
taylosw
Instructor

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
A lot of people on here run the Toyo R888Rs and are quite happy with them. I just got a set myself. Haven't been able to drive on them yet, but they fit the stock wheels and are going to stick better than either the PSS or the SC2, and have about as good wet weather traction as the PSS, but only last about as long as the SC2, from what I understand.
Hey there, you said they fit the stock 2017 z06 wheels? However, on tire rack they say they don't have them in 19's and 20's? Maybe a mistake or just tire rack doesn't have them?

Get notified of new replies

To Need your opinion on tires...Z06!

Old 01-24-2019, 12:42 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Hey there, you said they fit the stock 2017 z06 wheels? However, on tire rack they say they don't have them in 19's and 20's? Maybe a mistake or just tire rack doesn't have them?
You have to get 325/30/20 and 295/30/19. They do fit properly with no rubbing. Here's some pics https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598747383
Old 01-24-2019, 01:12 PM
taylosw
Instructor

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
You have to get 325/30/20 and 295/30/19. They do fit properly with no rubbing. Here's some pics https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598747383
Thank you so much... Sorry for all the questions but these tires seem to be a good fit after reading through that thread. I truly appreciate your time.

1) Will my local dealership install these for me since they technically aren't OEM?

2) Tire Rack offers Heat Cycling and Shaving, I read they are both good things; should I just pay the extra few bucks to have this done via Tire Rack? I am still learning about tires, cars, and all this...so I'm a bit overwhelmed on all the NEW knowledge I'm obtaining.

3) What kind of mileage can I expect mainly street spirited driving (no time for track unfortunately) - 1 out of town trip every year, and weekend warrior car. I'm expecting similar to Cup 2's maybe a little more? Looks like total cost is $1900, so not too bad if I can get a year or two out of them.

Last edited by taylosw; 01-24-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Panth3r (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 01:20 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Thank you so much... Sorry for all the questions but these tires seem to be all that I want. I truly appreciate your time.

1) Will my local dealership install these for me since they technically aren't OEM?

2) Tire Rack offers Heat Cycling and Shaving, I read they are both good things; should I just pay the extra few bucks to have this done via Tire Rack? I am still learning about tires, cars, and all this...so I'm a bit overwhelmed on all the NEW knowledge I'm obtaining.

3) What kind of mileage can I expect mainly street spirited driving (no time for track unfortunately) - 1 out of town trip every year, and weekend warrior car. I'm expecting similar to Cup 2's maybe a little more? Looks like total cost is $1900, so not too bad if I can get a year or two out of them.
1) They may or may not. I've found dealerships to be uppity about stuff that didn't SPECIFICALLY come with your car. I lowered mine on the FACTORY lowering bolts and they wouldn't do an alignment because it had been lowered :-| I'd take it to a reputable tire shop in your area.

2) You want these for the street, so you do NOT want to do heat cycling or shaving. It will just shorten the life of the tires. This is a thing for the track

3) With spirited driving, expect 10-15k miles for the fronts (closer to 10 if you want to replace before they're completely bald) and 7-10k for the rears (again, closer to the lower number if you want to replace before they're bald). They have a tread rating of 100, but if you get 30k miles out of them, I'll give you my Z06. Now if you drive like this guy, you'll only get like 20 miles out of them

Quick Reply: Need your opinion on tires...Z06!