C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2019 M7 issues

Old 01-26-2019, 12:19 PM
Mr. Smith
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06fornow
Sheesh. I wasn't looking for advice on how or when to fix it, thanks. I was asking if this was a unique issue. I heard that Chevy moved the MY19 to a new plant for paint. Wondered if that was part of the issue. Guess it's just my car.

Anyway the wrap and bra is nearing completion. FWIW I have a lot of experience dealing with Chevy. My MY16 Z06 had a new hydraulic pump for the diff, then a whole new e-diff, a wheel rim, new injectors, handled like a drunken sailor and used copious amount of oil. Unloaded the lemon for a Hellcat. Back with an MY19. Not a positive experience so far.

To answer your question, YES, it is a well known issue on a large number of C7s since 2014. I walked several dealer lots and noticed it on maybe 20-30% of all the new ones right from the factory...
Old 01-26-2019, 12:37 PM
cdh027
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 75 Posts

I have the same gap between panels by the headlights. Is there an adjustment under the panels to tighten that up?
Old 01-26-2019, 03:37 PM
NA FURY
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06fornow
Sheesh. I wasn't looking for advice on how or when to fix it, thanks. I was asking if this was a unique issue. I heard that Chevy moved the MY19 to a new plant for paint. Wondered if that was part of the issue. Guess it's just my car.

Anyway the wrap and bra is nearing completion. FWIW I have a lot of experience dealing with Chevy. My MY16 Z06 had a new hydraulic pump for the diff, then a whole new e-diff, a wheel rim, new injectors, handled like a drunken sailor and used copious amount of oil. Unloaded the lemon for a Hellcat. Back with an MY19. Not a positive experience so far.
Yes, my 2019 exhibited the exact same issues - passenger side wide gap on the outside of the headlight and rubbing/chipping in the same location on the driver's side. This showed itself within 15 miles on the ODO. I read about these issues before I bought and waited for a 2019 painted in the new paint shop because I had been told that the 2019's would not have this issue. Well, so much for that. My rear bumper on the passenger side was rubbing against the quarter as well. The bottom line is that I don't see why this will not recur unless you fix the panel fitment issues and prevent the friction. A local dealership has made two attempts at fixing the panel fitment on mine - the second approach seems more promising but I wasn't able to get more than 10 miles on it before I had to store it. They appear to have fixed the rear bumper issue before it started chipping. 70% of my car is Xpel'ed, including the bumper.

My advice, if you want to be really conservative, is to put the wrap on pause if possible and have the dealer address it, although you might be disappointed in their ability to. I would also advise you to NOT let them respray the bumper as you are likely to come out of it with more problems (especially since black shows everything). Although I noticed my chips only when I dropped it off for the Xpel (I drove it right there after the car was delivered to me), I proceeded anyway because I knew I wasn't going to create problems for myself with a respray. If the rest of the paint on the bumper is good (mine was perfect), find somebody who does chip repair on high end cars and address it as a localized paint issue once it is no longer rubbing. If they are good you wouldn't know it was ever repaired. I hear you can have GM ship you a new bumper from the factory if you want to go that route. I didn't have this option because my color (Watkins Glen Gray) was discontinued.

My panel fitment/chipping issue is really the only complaint I have on the car, so while it is in my opinion still ridiculous on a $80k car, sometimes you need to just do your best to do what you can and accept an imperfection or you'll make yourself insane.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:15 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 737 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by CalculatingInfinity
Yes, my 2019 exhibited the exact same issues - passenger side wide gap on the outside of the headlight and rubbing/chipping in the same location on the driver's side. This showed itself within 15 miles on the ODO. I read about these issues before I bought and waited for a 2019 painted in the new paint shop because I had been told that the 2019's would not have this issue. Well, so much for that. My rear bumper on the passenger side was rubbing against the quarter as well. The bottom line is that I don't see why this will not recur unless you fix the panel fitment issues and prevent the friction. A local dealership has made two attempts at fixing the panel fitment on mine - the second approach seems more promising but I wasn't able to get more than 10 miles on it before I had to store it. They appear to have fixed the rear bumper issue before it started chipping. 70% of my car is Xpel'ed, including the bumper.

My advice, if you want to be really conservative, is to put the wrap on pause if possible and have the dealer address it, although you might be disappointed in their ability to. I would also advise you to NOT let them respray the bumper as you are likely to come out of it with more problems (especially since black shows everything). Although I noticed my chips only when I dropped it off for the Xpel (I drove it right there after the car was delivered to me), I proceeded anyway because I knew I wasn't going to create problems for myself with a respray. If the rest of the paint on the bumper is good (mine was perfect), find somebody who does chip repair on high end cars and address it as a localized paint issue once it is no longer rubbing. If they are good you wouldn't know it was ever repaired. I hear you can have GM ship you a new bumper from the factory if you want to go that route. I didn't have this option because my color (Watkins Glen Gray) was discontinued.

My panel fitment/chipping issue is really the only complaint I have on the car, so while it is in my opinion still ridiculous on a $80k car, sometimes you need to just do your best to do what you can and accept an imperfection or you'll make yourself insane.
Is this happening a lot on the new 2019 models as well? This is the first time I've actually heard this for the 2019 models. I ordered my brand new Z last year TPW 4-24-18 and received it the first week of May. Everything looked perfect regarding the paint chipping and panel alignments all the way around the car.[ That's the first thing I checked ] Sorry to hear this is still an issue. I must of been one of the lucky ones I guess.I was worried shitless the whole time. Good Luck Also I forgot to mention I have 4,850 miles on it when I put it in storage. Hopefully nothing starts to shift around on me I already have the entire car wrapped in Suntek PPF

Last edited by mdolandese; 01-26-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:13 PM
KMAC70
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I live in South Florida. Just got my 2019 Black Z06 last month. There were 5 black Z06's that I passed on at various dealerships because they all had that same paint issue by the drivers side headlight. I was getting frustrated in my search and thinking I was just going to have buy a messed up one and have it fixed.
I was ecstatic when I took the white plastic wrapping off one at a Miami dealer and the paint was not defective. I finally ended up buying that car at that dealer because it did not have the paint issue. (and it had all my preferred options)
I would say about 60% of the new 2019 Vettes I looked at around here in any color had the defect. The Miami dealer (Bomnin Chevrolet) did offer to fix the issue under warranty on the cars that were defective.
There is another thread on the issue with the GM instructions to the dealer and body shops on how to repair. Just get it fixed under warranty. It is a well known issue at GM. I just don't get why they don't fix the issue at the factory. My car:

My car

Last edited by KMAC70; 01-26-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:41 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by KMAC70
I live in South Florida. Just got my 2019 Black Z06 last month. My car:

My car
Looks great. I'm glad you found one without panel alignment/paint problems. It's ridiculous that GM still hasn't resolved the issue.

Last edited by Oneslackr; 01-26-2019 at 08:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KMAC70 (01-27-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 09:15 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

I live in South Florida. Just got my 2019 Black Z06 last month. There were 5 black Z06's that I passed on at various dealerships because they all had that same paint issue by the drivers side headlight. I was getting frustrated in my search and thinking I was just going to have buy a messed up one and have it fixed.
I was ecstatic when I took the white plastic wrapping off one at a Miami dealer and the paint was not defective. I finally ended up buying that car at that dealer because it did not have the paint issue. (and it had all my preferred options)
I would say about 60% of the new 2019 Vettes I looked at around here in any color had the defect. The Miami dealer (Bomnin Chevrolet) did offer to fix the issue under warranty on the cars that were defective.
There is another thread on the issue with the GM instructions to the dealer and body shops on how to repair. Just get it fixed under warranty. It is a well known issue at GM. I just don't get why they don't fix the issue at the factory. My car:

My car
Beautiful car!!! I'm glad you found one with no defects in the options you wanted. I still can't believe GM hasn't resolved this issue, it blows my mind. Enjoy many smiles and miles to come
KMAC70 (01-27-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 09:22 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 692 Likes on 403 Posts

My black 2019 Z. Mine looks fine. No paint chipping. My only regret did I buy the wrong color. LOL.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:24 PM
Zora_Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2,017 Likes on 702 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6 cracker
My black 2019 Z. Mine looks fine. No paint chipping. My only regret did I buy the wrong color. LOL.
You didn't buy the wrong color. It is impossible to have a wrong option on a Corvette, unless of course it is a C4 Corvette, where the car IS the wrong option
Old 01-26-2019, 09:52 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 692 Likes on 403 Posts

I agree!!
Old 01-27-2019, 08:13 AM
salcolkat
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

My car
I passed on a yellow 17 ZO6 at Kerbeck because of the same issue in the same spot, Went with a black car with no alignment issues. Very Happy with car after 2 yrs and 9k miles.
KMAC70 (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 10:32 AM
KMAC70
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mdolandese
Is this happening a lot on the new 2019 models as well? This is the first time I've actually heard this for the 2019 models. I ordered my brand new Z last year TPW 4-24-18 and received it the first week of May. Everything looked perfect regarding the paint chipping and panel alignments all the way around the car.[ That's the first thing I checked ] Sorry to hear this is still an issue. I must of been one of the lucky ones I guess.I was worried shitless the whole time. Good Luck Also I forgot to mention I have 4,850 miles on it when I put it in storage. Hopefully nothing starts to shift around on me I already have the entire car wrapped in Suntek PPF
HA! "I was worried shitless the whole time" This is exactly why I did not order one from the factory. I saw that almost all of the new 2019's at the dealerships near me had the paint defect. I did not want to order one, wait 8 to 12 weeks, and then have it arrive with the defect. I would have been so pissed.... Glad your's came perfect! Also, I checked my panel gaps every day for the first month. Kept putting a little spray wax there by the headlight. (even though the panel lined up perfectly even with enough of a gap) I just wanted to make damn sure my panels were all good and that the paint would not start chipping!
Old 01-27-2019, 12:34 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

HA! "I was worried shitless the whole time" This is exactly why I did not order one from the factory. I saw that almost all of the new 2019's at the dealerships near me had the paint defect. I did not want to order one, wait 8 to 12 weeks, and then have it arrive with the defect. I would have been so pissed.... Glad your's came perfect! Also, I checked my panel gaps every day for the first month. Kept putting a little spray wax there by the headlight. (even though the panel lined up perfectly even with enough of a gap) I just wanted to make damn sure my panels were all good and that the paint would not start chipping!
If I could of found a 2019 Z in the color and all the boxes checked I wanted, I wouldn't of ordered it. But that wasn't the case. I wasn't going to settle for anything less, then what I exactly wanted and it seemed nearly impossible to find the right combo. Plus know dealer could even come close to what I paid on line. I saved over $5,000 on the car not including the $1,200 I spent on the enclosed transport. win win
KMAC70 (01-27-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2019 M7 issues