C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

CALI OR BUST; Number 43 C7.R Edition Z06 begins its trip back home

Old 01-24-2019, 10:56 PM
BearZ06
Safety Car

Received 1,323 Likes on 767 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

HouseOfWheels98@aol.com Bob is the man!
The following users liked this post:
LiuBearPig (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 11:00 PM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboyslc1
Liu
I feel for you! I agree with a couple of points mentioned above. If a local dealer can get a wheel to you soon, then that would be my first choice. If not, then as mentioned, the car may still be driveable in the condition that it is in. Assuming that the wheel is junk, you could buy a can or two of Slime and inject it into the wheel. It would likely seal the crack and get you home where you could deal with it at your convienence. Best wishes to you for a good solution.
Originally Posted by X25
I wonder if you can get it welded/ fixed to hold up for the time being, and get it replaced when you're finally back home.

You can also try just calmly driving back home (not much exceeding 50 MPH), stopping rather frequently to check on the wheel. It might hold up until you're home. Many people here drove on cracked wheels for a while before it was finally discovered. If it holds air long enough (and you can add air along the way) that might be your best bet.
We are in Fort Stockton, Texas, going back to San Francisco Bay Area. It's a 1,500+ mile journey. It would probably take a week to make it back if I had to stop the car and get out to air it back up each time it needed it.
Plus it would completely ruin the fun of the trip which was the point to begin with. I'm going to try to source a replacement wheel as soon as possible and try to put this nightmare behind me

After all, it's CALI OR BUST!!! ( I GUESS CURRENTLY BUST )
Old 01-24-2019, 11:11 PM
vegasjunkie2004
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry for your unfortunate situation. I looked on Craigslist El Paso and nothing for corvette wheels. Hopefully Corvette World Houston does you a solid and helps you out...
LiuBearPig (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 11:16 PM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Originally Posted by syclone12
LinBearPig ,

" OEWHEELS .COM " Z06 (black) 20 INCH RIM $ 228.00

That's a 20 x 10.Shouldnt it be 20 x 12?

edit: what do you guys think of this one?

https://www.hubcaphaven.com/p/23361/...-23347216.html

That's one of the places I found. I'm going to call every spot I've found so far tomorrow and see which one caters to my situation best.

Last edited by LiuBearPig; 01-24-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:34 PM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Originally Posted by vegasjunkie2004
Sorry for your unfortunate situation. I looked on Craigslist El Paso and nothing for corvette wheels. Hopefully Corvette World Houston does you a solid and helps you out...
I appreciate the effort, that means a lot. Thanks buddy!

I suppose I've performed all the due diligence that could possibly be done at this hour of the day. The rest will have to wait until morning.
Corvette World won't know if they'll even have one available until after 9:00 am tomorrow. If they can help that would be great but I'm going to explore all possible options until I have something solid.

I've found some pretty good leads to follow up on tomorrow. Some local, some not.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:38 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 772 Likes on 468 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Go to the Chevy dealership there in Ft Stockton. Have them overnight you a wheel.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:42 PM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Originally Posted by F4Gary
Go to the Chevy dealership there in Ft Stockton. Have them overnight you a wheel.

Does anyone have any idea how much I should expect to pay for one from chevy?

https://www.hubcaphaven.com/p/23361/...-23347216.html

This one is $600. not sure about the logistics of getting it from point A to the rear passenger corner of my car, though

Other fellow members have suggested House of Wheels here on the forum. I plan on following up on any and all promising leads
Old 01-24-2019, 11:48 PM
Konnor1212
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

i have a spare set , iam in norcal let me know if anything i can do to help you.

good luck and safe driving
LiuBearPig (01-25-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 11:48 PM
BearZ06
Safety Car

Received 1,323 Likes on 767 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Go to one of the online GM parts houses like gmpartsdirect.com or CULTRAG a sponsor at the top right of this page. Maybe you can find the wheel and a price there.
LiuBearPig (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 12:18 AM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Originally Posted by Konnor1212
i have a spare set , iam in norcal let me know if anything i can do to help you.

good luck and safe driving
Thanks man I appreciate that a lot. I'll keep that in mind but hopefully I can figure this all out without having to take you up on your offer.

Originally Posted by BearZ06
Go to one of the online GM parts houses like gmpartsdirect.com or CULTRAG a sponsor at the top right of this page. Maybe you can find the wheel and a price there.
hmmm both sites seem to carry the wheel, but there's no mention in the description on whether or not it has the yellow lip. The pictures certainly don't show color
Old 01-25-2019, 01:47 AM
LiuBearPig
Racer

On a lighter note, here's a video of my corvette back in our good ol' days... aka 3 days ago

let me know how it came out. I can't watch it on my laptop because there's something wrong with my youtube lol

edit: just saw it on my phone. Looks pretty good if you ask me! 😎

Last edited by LiuBearPig; 01-25-2019 at 01:51 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:19 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 258 Posts

This may sound a bit out there and I'm sure a bunch of people are gonna jump on me, but I'd JB weld that **** to get it back home and worry about a new wheel then.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:26 AM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

I don't know which thread you're monitoring so this is a copy of what I posted in your other thread.

I have been searching around the Austin/San Antonio area but I haven't been able to find any rear wheels. I also wrote to the El Paso Corvette club through FB to see if any of their members could help you out or might know of someone who could. At least they would be a bit closer to your location than the rest of us. Unfortunately, I don't personally know any of them but I figured it's worth a shot. I also gave them a link to this thread.

El Paso Corvette Club:
LiuBearPig (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 09:33 AM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 737 Likes on 555 Posts

Wow that really sucks!! Sorry to hear this has happened to you. I hope you make it home safe and sound. Keep us posted

Last edited by mdolandese; 01-25-2019 at 09:36 AM.
LiuBearPig (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 09:58 AM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
This may sound a bit out there and I'm sure a bunch of people are gonna jump on me, but I'd JB weld that **** to get it back home and worry about a new wheel then.

I don't think my lady's going to go for that. She didn't even like riding in the vette when it didnt have problems

Sounds pretty risky
Old 01-25-2019, 10:16 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by LiuBearPig
I don't think my lady's going to go for that. She didn't even like riding in the vette when it didnt have problems

Sounds pretty risky
Why doesn't she like riding in the vette?? JB weld is ridiculously strong. I actually fixed 2 (out of 3 total) almost completely broken motor mounts with JB back when I was in the army and poor. If you let all the air out, spread it over the crack and smooth it as best you can, then let it sit for a couple of hours, it'll hold. I certainly don't blame you if you don't want to try it, just telling you what I'd do. I had to deal with a break down driving from Monterey to Myrtle Beach around Kansas City, and if some JB weld could have fixed it, I would have gone that route for sure. Instead, I lost half a day the first day and and like 75% of a day the next day getting the stupid front axle replaced (all wheel drive dodge stealth R/T turbo) and then had to drive for like 20 hours straight so I could make it home in time to have my car shipped to Germany before I PCS. For me, I'll do whatever it takes to get a car back on the road when I'm stuck somewhere

Last edited by Toddiesel; 01-25-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:19 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Man, sorry to see and hear about your misfortune. The inside of that wheel and tire area looks really roached like it was reverse curb’d from someone pulling onto a road and catching the wheel.

Best bet as others have said is to find a vendor to ON a wheel...is the tire salvagable?

Get notified of new replies

To CALI OR BUST; Number 43 C7.R Edition Z06 begins its trip back home

Old 01-25-2019, 10:21 AM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Why doesn't she like riding in the vette?? JB weld is ridiculously strong. I actually fixed 2 (out of 3 total) almost completely broken motor mounts with JB back when I was in the army and poor. If you let all the air out, spread it over the crack and smooth it as best you can, then let it sit for a couple of hours, it'll hold. I certainly don't blame you if you don't want to try it, just telling you what I'd do. I had to deal with a break down driving from Monterey to Myrtle Beach around Kansas City, and if some JB weld could have fixed it, I would have gone that route for sure. Instead, I lost half a day the first day and and like 75% of a day the next day getting the stupid front axle replaced (all wheel drive dodge stealth R/T turbo) and then had to drive for like 20 hours straight so I could make it home in time to have my car shipped to Germany before I PCS. For me, I'll do whatever it takes to get a car back on the road when I'm stuck somewhere
actually not a bad idea, at least try this to get to El Paso where there is a better chance of finding a rim at a dealer. How quickly did this lose air? with the lip of the tire covering most of that crack, it could have been there for a while without you knowing it. Seal the crack, air it up, and get to El Paso.

I would also try Bobs house of wheels, he's in Houston and perhaps something could be worked out to courier that thing to you, or you rent a car to meet half way.

do you have any kind of roadside assistance with your insurance or perhaps any kind of extended warranty with that car? They may be able to help too.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:22 AM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
The inside of that wheel and tire area looks really roached like it was reverse curb’d from someone pulling onto a road and catching the wheel.
Now there's a thought..

I'm trying to find someone to overnight a wheel. House of Wheels Bob didn't pick up so I left him a voicemail.

edit: yes the tire is salvageable. Doesn't seem to have any problems. I was told it would be a bitch to dismount and reinstall, though. So I guess after I find the wheel my next challenge would be to find the right shop to do it before im out of the woods

Last edited by LiuBearPig; 01-25-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:34 AM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

LPG, I have merged your two threads together-they go together.

All the best of luck with your situation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CALI OR BUST; Number 43 C7.R Edition Z06 begins its trip back home