Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 Z06 Discussion
Reload this Page >

Auto vs. Manual comparison review video

Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto vs. Manual comparison review video

 
Old 02-01-2019, 08:41 AM
  #21  
Toddiesel
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2016
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 794
Thanked 83 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by timmyZ06 View Post
that's it!!! Everyone who bought a Z for the joy of driving the car and NOT DD it, Its done argument won!! Absolutely no autos will come close to the fun factor of a M7!!
I agree. everyone that talks about how autos are the way of the future and the only reason people used to buy manuals was because they were faster are disconnected from the fact that manuals are just more fun and a more engaging experience. I feel like if you PREFER an auto in your sports car, you shouldn't really be allowed to have one. but this is merka, so to each his own. it just sucks that the manual is basically dying and in not too many years probably won't be available at all anymore. I got like 50 more driving years. I want my manual trans to STICK around (see what I did there?)!!
Toddiesel is offline  
Old 02-01-2019, 09:01 AM
  #22  
Warp Factor
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Warp Factor's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
Posts: 5,114
Thanked 546 Times in 394 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RobGZ06 View Post
Another one of these lol.

Auto is the future, we know that. Auto these days have become faster, more efficient and just "cool" to own now vs the manual. Back then manual was the way to go because auto versions of the same car is actually a disadvantage, as it's slower.

However in our cars, yes the A8 is like what? A couple of milliseconds faster in the 1/4? It also is very flawed for track duty and will overheat on you in a couple of laps. No need to bicker about that, go do a forum search and read the countless stories and watch the videos talking about that. It's no secret.
I'm continually amazed at those who will invest the time and effort learning to drive a manual, yet are so eager to claim the A8 is flawed, without having bothered to learn how to use it properly.

Track overheating:
In "auto" mode on the track, the transmission will choose the lowest gear possible, even when it's not possible to put that much power down. Manual drivers tend not to do that, so that's part of the difference in how much heat each generates. Manually shift the A8, choosing rpms more like a manual driver would use, and it's less of a problem. Yes, you can get hung up on the rpm limiter if you don't shift soon enough. There is a learning curve....


Warp Factor is offline  
Old 02-01-2019, 09:23 AM
  #23  
doggman
CF Senior Member
 
doggman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 182
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by timmyZ06 View Post
that's it!!! Everyone who bought a Z for the joy of driving the car and NOT DD it, Its done argument won!! Absolutely no autos will come close to the fun factor of a M7!!
I ordered a 19 M7 because it might be the last MANual vette!!!
We were coming back from the NCM BASH last year in our 07 vert with the M6 and encountered accident traffic on I-40. Inching along for over an hour was the last straw. Our C7 will be an auto!! Found the close to perfect pre-owned '18 right before Thanksgiving and it was love at first sight. As #timmyZ06 says, the fun factor and it not being a DD was too much to turn down. M7 it is!! Though it only has about 600 miles added since delivery, no regrets. Fun factor is too much. (Next time I see a sign warning of an accident, I'm looking for an alternate route. Not, "It should be cleared by the time we get there. It takes a while for these signs to be updated.").
doggman is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to doggman For This Useful Post:
timmyZ06 (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 09:55 AM
  #24  
xkilo16x
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xkilo16x's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 663
Thanked 77 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Carvin View Post
Great vid. It had a "mystique" about it that was different from most vids. What was the BMW in the roll race?
@Carvin Thanks! It was a 2018 BMW M3 with FBO + E85. Here is the complete race video (2 rounds).



Originally Posted by TXvert View Post
Nice impression of Dwayne Johnson. Well done.
@TXvert Thanks, but I'm not sure I get the reference?
xkilo16x is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to xkilo16x For This Useful Post:
Carvin (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 11:22 AM
  #25  
Road machine
CF Senior Member
 
Road machine's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,810
Thanked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RobGZ06 View Post
Another one of these lol.

Auto is the future, we know that. Auto these days have become faster, more efficient and just "cool" to own now vs the manual. Back then manual was the way to go because auto versions of the same car is actually a disadvantage, as it's slower.

However in our cars, yes the A8 is like what? A couple of milliseconds faster in the 1/4? It also is very flawed for track duty and will overheat on you in a couple of laps. No need to bicker about that, go do a forum search and read the countless stories and watch the videos talking about that. It's no secret.

On the street, neither the M7 or A8 will overheat because there's no "competition" on the street, meaning there's no race to be had, you pick the trans that you want to live with, not so much on what's better.

Because there is none really. The M7 might be harder to get consistent 1/4 times but it's also a perfect street car. And it kicks *** on the road course.

The A8 will give you consistent fast 1/4 times but will overheat on you on the road course. And IMHO, boring and inefficient for street use.

People really need to open their eyes and drive other cars before claiming their Z as the best car on the planet. People are too involved with their "investment" in the corvette that they brainwash and blind themselves from reality.

The corvette is NOT the perfect car. It doesn't have the best interior, it doesn't have the best (efficient/reliable) powertrain.

You're fooled by it's exotic looks and supercar performance that you think it's the best car there is. And you think no other car is better.

To me, that sounds like someone who's insecure, naive and childish. Be proud of what you own but at the same time be humble about it. Your feelings will get hurt bad if someone told you in your face things you don't want to hear about your corvette.

Btw, i got my M7 because i still like rowing the gears and because i don't want to deal with the crappy A8 issues. Can't wait for the awesome DCT in the C8
I don't think anyone thinks their corvette is the best car on the planet, but it certainly is the best car for the money. I have driven and owned lots of great cars, but it was very hard to justify the $312k price tag for a Ferrari 812 Superfast or $265k for their mid engine 488 GTB when a Z06 Corvette gives just as good a driving experience for a quarter of the price......do you get the hand stitched leather seats??? No But who cares....the interior is great for the price. If you have more money than sense sure go for the Ferrari....you may pick up some gold digger with it if that is what your into, but you certainly won't get a better driving experience. I know I have driven them all.

The corvette Z06 is a production super car, and that is a bit of an oxymoron but certainly true. As a production car it has it's flaws, but so do many other exotics, including some catching fire while just sitting in traffic, and huge expenses for "regular" maintenance. This is a car that is just as comfortable on the track as on the street, and that is more than can be said for most super cars. I have had the "pleasure" of squeezing myself under the cool but impractical doors of a Lamborgini Diablo and then sitting cramped in all directions.....that is not a good driving experience, and once my wife put her tiny purse in the trunk, all the room was gone for any sort of luggage.

So again the Corvette is not the best car on the planet....it is the best sports car for the money, on the planet....and that is good enough for me.
Road machine is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Road machine For This Useful Post:
Carvin (02-01-2019), dar02081961 (02-01-2019), timmyZ06 (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 11:24 AM
  #26  
Road machine
CF Senior Member
 
Road machine's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,810
Thanked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by xkilo16x View Post
And here we are again, with the classic A8 vs. M7 debate. This time in video form. I'm sure there were some points missed but one can only think of so much to say in one sitting.

Cheers!

Great video... I would love to get together for a cruise sometime....we are not far away from each other.
Road machine is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Road machine For This Useful Post:
xkilo16x (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 11:31 AM
  #27  
Carvin
CF Senior Member
 
Carvin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Location: Westmont IL
Posts: 1,259
Thanked 149 Times in 127 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16
Default

Originally Posted by xkilo16x View Post
@Carvin Thanks! It was a 2018 BMW M3 with FBO + E85. Here is the complete race video (2 rounds).
Very good. What caused the different result for each race?
Carvin is offline  
Old 02-01-2019, 01:17 PM
  #28  
TXvert
CF Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2014
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 78
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Your video make me think of this, the 1st 5 seconds (not sure why it repeats).


Sub'd your YT channel. Cheers.
TXvert is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to TXvert For This Useful Post:
xkilo16x (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 01:30 PM
  #29  
Toddiesel
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2016
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 794
Thanked 83 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by doggman View Post
We were coming back from the NCM BASH last year in our 07 vert with the M6 and encountered accident traffic on I-40. Inching along for over an hour was the last straw. Our C7 will be an auto!! Found the close to perfect pre-owned '18 right before Thanksgiving and it was love at first sight. As #timmyZ06 says, the fun factor and it not being a DD was too much to turn down. M7 it is!! Though it only has about 600 miles added since delivery, no regrets. Fun factor is too much. (Next time I see a sign warning of an accident, I'm looking for an alternate route. Not, "It should be cleared by the time we get there. It takes a while for these signs to be updated.").
I DD mine, in traffic, every day. And I've DDed a manual in bumper to bumper traffic every day for my entire professional career. I've never thought "man I wish I had an auto". Auto is no different. You gotta sit there holding the brake in. At least in a manual, you can let off the clutch and hold NO pedal while it's in neutral, or even while you're rolling if you work it right. "i don't want to deal with a clutch in traffic" is the biggest crock ever
Toddiesel is offline  
Old 02-01-2019, 03:30 PM
  #30  
tlegend
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: SACRAMENTO CA
Posts: 130
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by timmyZ06 View Post
I ordered a 19 M7 because it might be the last MANual vette!!!
LOL same reason i bought mine lol...

tlegend is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tlegend For This Useful Post:
timmyZ06 (02-01-2019), Toddiesel (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 05:21 PM
  #31  
xkilo16x
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xkilo16x's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 663
Thanked 77 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TXvert View Post
Your video make me think of this, the 1st 5 seconds (not sure why it repeats).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYhTLSs7jrE

Sub'd your YT channel. Cheers.
Thanks! That's wild, lol. Every video I post, someone always seems to come up with a new celebrity reference. Never thought I'd get the Rock though.

Originally Posted by Carvin View Post
Very good. What caused the different result for each race?
@Carvin He said that the first race, he was in the wrong gear. I think the race would've been much closer if I had started at 40 in 2nd gear instead of 60 in 3rd.

Originally Posted by Road machine View Post
Great video... I would love to get together for a cruise sometime....we are not far away from each other.
@Road machine For sure, what town are you in?
xkilo16x is offline  
Old 02-01-2019, 05:52 PM
  #32  
RobGZ06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,267
Thanked 279 Times in 232 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Road machine View Post
I don't think anyone thinks their corvette is the best car on the planet, but it certainly is the best car for the money. I have driven and owned lots of great cars, but it was very hard to justify the $312k price tag for a Ferrari 812 Superfast or $265k for their mid engine 488 GTB when a Z06 Corvette gives just as good a driving experience for a quarter of the price......do you get the hand stitched leather seats??? No But who cares....the interior is great for the price. If you have more money than sense sure go for the Ferrari....you may pick up some gold digger with it if that is what your into, but you certainly won't get a better driving experience. I know I have driven them all.

The corvette Z06 is a production super car, and that is a bit of an oxymoron but certainly true. As a production car it has it's flaws, but so do many other exotics, including some catching fire while just sitting in traffic, and huge expenses for "regular" maintenance. This is a car that is just as comfortable on the track as on the street, and that is more than can be said for most super cars. I have had the "pleasure" of squeezing myself under the cool but impractical doors of a Lamborgini Diablo and then sitting cramped in all directions.....that is not a good driving experience, and once my wife put her tiny purse in the trunk, all the room was gone for any sort of luggage.

So again the Corvette is not the best car on the planet....it is the best sports car for the money, on the planet....and that is good enough for me.
But how can you compare a corvette to a ferrari?

It's 2 totally different classes, 2 totally different cars.

Corvette owners are under the misconception that our cars have any place near REAL exotic and supercars just because our C7's have finally hit the point to where it actually "looks" like a supercar. Don't be fooled. We know it looks like a supercar, we know it has supercar performance. But that doesn't classify it as a supercar.

Supercars are rare, expensive, the fit and finish, the attention to detail is different. Carbon panels, the stitching. The interior sound quality, THE POWERTRAIN, the heritage, the history, the BRAND. All that factors in in what you call a supercar.

A corvette, at least not the C7 will and can never be a supercar. Because it's just a mass produced, off an assembly line, dime a dozen SPORTS CAR. Plastic pieces, creaky interior, good but flawed powertrain, the chevy badge lol. I mean come on.

Sometimes you think outside the box and understand there's a reason other cars cost more for a reason. You don't base on what's better just because a car can do 10.8 stock or can trap 130 stock.

When you say a corvette is the best........." ". You come to that conclusion based off what?

It's not the best at anything. People buy and use their cars for different purposes. A corvette is just a damn good sports car. It isn't the best at anything. Because there's always something better.

A brand new M5 cost more, has better tech, better interior, can seat 4 and has awd. Some would argue that's better than a corvette. But what would be your comeback to that? But the corvette is a better road course car right? That's my point. People use their car for different reasons. There is no "best" car.

A corvette is a great car, that's why i bought one. But i'm not delusional to the point where every aspect of driving you can think of, now all of a sudden the corvette is the "best" at that. No other car comes close. That's naive beyond belief.
RobGZ06 is online now  
Old 02-01-2019, 06:02 PM
  #33  
Toddiesel
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2016
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 794
Thanked 83 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RobGZ06 View Post
But how can you compare a corvette to a ferrari?
Corvette owners are under the misconception that our cars have any place near REAL exotic and supercars just because our C7's have finally hit the point to where it actually "looks" like a supercar. Don't be fooled. We know it looks like a supercar, we know it has supercar performance. But that doesn't classify it as a supercar.
If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
Toddiesel is offline  
Old 02-01-2019, 06:30 PM
  #34  
RobGZ06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,267
Thanked 279 Times in 232 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Toddiesel View Post
If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
In the corvette's case, unfortunately that doesn't hold true LOL

Corvette owners might be the most delusional group of car owners lol. I don't even think mustang guys are this bad.
RobGZ06 is online now  
Old 02-01-2019, 06:45 PM
  #35  
Toddiesel
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2016
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 794
Thanked 83 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RobGZ06 View Post
In the corvette's case, unfortunately that doesn't hold true LOL

Corvette owners might be the most delusional group of car owners lol. I don't even think mustang guys are this bad.
Haha. Funny you should say that because I'm totally a Mustang guy (well, before I bought a vette). Don't get me wrong, I realize there's a difference between supercars and the corvette. Having said that, the VALUE of supercars vs the vette just isn't there. Plus the difference is fairly subtle, especially if you're just comparing to Porsches or the "lower level" supercars. I'm not talking hyper cars.

Ever had Kirkland vodka? It's the Costco brand and it's made in the same distillery with the same process as Grey Goose and I would bet you the pink slip to MY corvette that you couldn't tell the difference. It's about 1/4 the price of Grey Goose. You bet your sweet *** I buy it over Grey Goose every time, buuuuuuuuut I pout it out of that bottle into a Grey Goose bottle because, well, this is Merka and we care about labels. And just like that vodka, if I put a lamborghini label on a corvette (hypothetically assuming you were a person that didn't know what the corvette looked like exactly or what models of lambos there were), I could 100% pass it off as a lambo and people who looked at it, sat in it, and even drove it would have 0 idea I was full of **** because the 06 looks, feels, and drives like a supercar.
Toddiesel is offline  
Old 02-01-2019, 06:53 PM
  #36  
RobGZ06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,267
Thanked 279 Times in 232 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Toddiesel View Post
Haha. Funny you should say that because I'm totally a Mustang guy (well, before I bought a vette). Don't get me wrong, I realize there's a difference between supercars and the corvette. Having said that, the VALUE of supercars vs the vette just isn't there. Plus the difference is fairly subtle, especially if you're just comparing to Porsches or the "lower level" supercars. I'm not talking hyper cars.

Ever had Kirkland vodka? It's the Costco brand and it's made in the same distillery with the same process as Grey Goose and I would bet you the pink slip to MY corvette that you couldn't tell the difference. It's about 1/4 the price of Grey Goose. You bet your sweet *** I buy it over Grey Goose every time, buuuuuuuuut I pout it out of that bottle into a Grey Goose bottle because, well, this is Merka and we care about labels. And just like that vodka, if I put a lamborghini label on a corvette (hypothetically assuming you were a person that didn't know what the corvette looked like exactly or what models of lambos there were), I could 100% pass it off as a lambo and people who looked at it, sat in it, and even drove it would have 0 idea I was full of **** because the 06 looks, feels, and drives like a supercar.
That's a poor analogy dude lol. Stop reaching.

The corvette will never and can never be a supercar. If a corvette is a supercar, so is a hellcat, and an M5, a C63S AMG, and especially a GTR and a lot of the low budget high performance SPORTS CARS.

No one is talking about hyper cars, we're talking about a supercar. A ferrari 488 is a supercar, a porsche GT2RS is a supercar, a mclaren (all new models) are supercars. A veryron is a hyper car. A pagani zonda is a hyper car etc.

The corvette is NOT. It's an incredible sports car. A bang for your buck sports car. Not a supercar.

But it is amusing reading the excuses you guys come up with to justify your corvette as being a supercar lol.

RobGZ06 is online now  
Old 02-01-2019, 06:58 PM
  #37  
Toddiesel
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2016
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 794
Thanked 83 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Dude, i JUST said it's NOT a super car and that I know there's a difference, but it's not a huge leap when it comes to looks and performance. But you blew past all that and took my pretty spot on analogy and called it poor, so clearly I'm not going to get across to you what I'm trying to say (which, btw for the 3rd time is NOT that the corvette is a super car) so I'm just going to move on from it. I agree with the vast majority of your posts, so I think maybe I'm just not articulating what I'm trying to say well enough. This thread is about the auto vs manual debate anyway, so we're going off topic.
Toddiesel is offline  
Old 02-01-2019, 07:23 PM
  #38  
RobGZ06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,267
Thanked 279 Times in 232 Posts
Default

Your post is very misleading then, because it seemed that you're wording it to make it seem like you're suggesting the corvette "CAN" be a supercar, if you look under the microscope.

Doesn't matter how anyone slices it, a corvette will never and was never a supercar. We'll see what the C8 looks like. It has potential to finally be a supercar. If they get everything right. Price, quality, production numbers, power output, materials used, etc.

And yes this is about auto vs manual. The A8 is crap, which is why the C7(GS, Z, ZR1) can't be a supercar.
RobGZ06 is online now  
Old 02-01-2019, 07:36 PM
  #39  
Toddiesel
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2016
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 794
Thanked 83 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RobGZ06 View Post
Your post is very misleading then, because it seemed that you're wording it to make it seem like you're suggesting the corvette "CAN" be a supercar, if you look under the microscope.

Doesn't matter how anyone slices it, a corvette will never and was never a supercar. We'll see what the C8 looks like. It has potential to finally be a supercar. If they get everything right. Price, quality, production numbers, power output, materials used, etc.

And yes this is about auto vs manual. The A8 is crap, which is why the C7(GS, Z, ZR1) can't be a supercar.
I was saying the opposite. I was saying if you DON'T look under the microscope, it can appear to be a supercar. Like that vodka analogy. I'm sure if one of those professional tasters had some of my "grey goose" they'd be like "HEY! this isn't grey goose, you cheap *******!" but the average person would never know. Anyway, I think we're mostly on the same page. And no argument on the A8. I'm all about the manual! Even if the C8 has a really amazing dual clutch, I sure hope they offer it in manual. Ford put the last nail in the coffin of my mustang fandom when they decided instead of offering their SVT in ONLY manual, they'd offer it in ONLY automatic with the 2020 GT500. I'll never buy a Mustang again (assuming I can always find another performance car in manual) as I feel like they sold out.
Toddiesel is offline  
Old 02-01-2019, 07:42 PM
  #40  
RobGZ06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,267
Thanked 279 Times in 232 Posts
Default

Honestly the C8 has huge potential to be a supercar with it's mid engine, power potential, ONLY if they offer it in a DCT.

That's what stopped me from getting an auto for my C7Z, because the auto used sucked (i drove an A8 prior to my Z purchase) and said F this, and went with a manual.

If the C8 has a DCT, which it will, and even if they offered a manual, i'm going with the DCT. But to stay on pace with any "supercar" status, GM should not bring back the manual. And this is coming from a die hard manual fan.

The 2020 GT500 is INCREDIBLE. If the C8 is a bust, now i'm torn between upgrading to a manual ZR1, or jumping ship and going with the GT500.

That car is no joke.

Last edited by RobGZ06; 02-01-2019 at 07:43 PM.
RobGZ06 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto vs. Manual comparison review video


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: