C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Auto vs. Manual comparison review video

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 03:52 PM
xkilo16x
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Auto vs. Manual comparison review video

And here we are again, with the classic A8 vs. M7 debate. This time in video form. I'm sure there were some points missed but one can only think of so much to say in one sitting.

Cheers!

Last edited by xkilo16x; 01-31-2019 at 03:52 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by xkilo16x:
Carvin (02-01-2019), Donwuan (07-11-2023), MSG C5 (01-31-2019), Rob Petyo (02-01-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 04:26 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

Great video, well done I enjoyed it and no arguments from me. I drove both before making my decision and it was the M7.
The following 2 users liked this post by dvilin:
Outlaw Joe (01-31-2019), xkilo16x (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 05:33 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 738 Likes on 556 Posts

Nice video I drove both auto and manual before I purchased. I went with the manual for the fun factor and love rowing through the gears. It's not my DD so I never have to worry about that bumper to bumper issue or city driving of stop and go all the time. I usually drive the Z, where I want and when I want, so it was a no brainer for me. The lag on the paddles is atrocious!!!!!
Old 01-31-2019, 05:49 PM
TXvert
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Nice impression of Dwayne Johnson. Well done.

Last edited by TXvert; 01-31-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:15 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

enjoyed that. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:17 PM
jcchevy
Pro

Received 248 Likes on 105 Posts

Great video. I had a 2009 Z for 8 yiears. I loved the 6 speed for about 5 of those years but since most of my driving was touring, I got tired of the shifting. I chose the A8 in my 2016 and I haven’t been disappointed. It does have its limitations, as describe in the video, but I am still satisfied with it for my particular circumstances. I’m sure the C8 will have an upgraded Automatic.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:26 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by jcchevy
I chose the A8 in my 2016 and I haven’t been disappointed. It does have its limitations, as describe in the video, but I am still satisfied with it for my particular circumstances. I’m sure the C8 will have an upgraded Automatic.

I've driven manual transmission cars a good portion of my life and decided to go with the A8 in my '16 Z06. I liked it so much I got an A8 in my '19. Personally, I love it and can't imagine going back to a manual.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:52 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Old 01-31-2019, 08:15 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Xkilo16X....thank you for putting this video together. I've owned 2 Vipers, a 2016 C7 Z06 and then a Challenger Hellcat, all with the manual transmissions. As I looked at buying a new C7 Z06, this time around I decided on an A8....just felt like I'm less coordinated now and just not as crisp as I used to be. I especially got that feeling with my last manual, the Hellcat. So I bought this new A8 Z06 and it's in storage, waiting for Spring, with only 2 miles on it. Now I'm seeing all these stories about failed A8's, special flush procedures that will undoubtedly get screwed up at the dealer's service shop, failed torque converters and all other types of gripes & bitches on the A8. Your video and your comments allowed me to rest a little easier, I was starting to wish I ordered my new car with the M7. I'm stuck with the A8 and only hope I can like and appreciate it as much as you do. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2019, 08:26 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,137 Posts

Another one of these lol.

Auto is the future, we know that. Auto these days have become faster, more efficient and just "cool" to own now vs the manual. Back then manual was the way to go because auto versions of the same car is actually a disadvantage, as it's slower.

However in our cars, yes the A8 is like what? A couple of milliseconds faster in the 1/4? It also is very flawed for track duty and will overheat on you in a couple of laps. No need to bicker about that, go do a forum search and read the countless stories and watch the videos talking about that. It's no secret.

On the street, neither the M7 or A8 will overheat because there's no "competition" on the street, meaning there's no race to be had, you pick the trans that you want to live with, not so much on what's better.

Because there is none really. The M7 might be harder to get consistent 1/4 times but it's also a perfect street car. And it kicks *** on the road course.

The A8 will give you consistent fast 1/4 times but will overheat on you on the road course. And IMHO, boring and inefficient for street use.

People really need to open their eyes and drive other cars before claiming their Z as the best car on the planet. People are too involved with their "investment" in the corvette that they brainwash and blind themselves from reality.

The corvette is NOT the perfect car. It doesn't have the best interior, it doesn't have the best (efficient/reliable) powertrain.

You're fooled by it's exotic looks and supercar performance that you think it's the best car there is. And you think no other car is better.

To me, that sounds like someone who's insecure, naive and childish. Be proud of what you own but at the same time be humble about it. Your feelings will get hurt bad if someone told you in your face things you don't want to hear about your corvette.

Btw, i got my M7 because i still like rowing the gears and because i don't want to deal with the crappy A8 issues. Can't wait for the awesome DCT in the C8

Last edited by Z0HS1CK; 01-31-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:33 PM
MechEngr
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great video, well put together. I enjoyed it.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:50 PM
xkilo16x
Pro

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
Another one of these lol.

Auto is the future, we know that. Auto these days have become faster, more efficient and just "cool" to own now vs the manual. Back then manual was the way to go because auto versions of the same car is actually a disadvantage, as it's slower.

However in our cars, yes the A8 is like what? A couple of milliseconds faster in the 1/4? It also is very flawed for track duty and will overheat on you in a couple of laps. No need to bicker about that, go do a forum search and read the countless stories and watch the videos talking about that. It's no secret.

On the street, neither the M7 or A8 will overheat because there's no "competition" on the street, meaning there's no race to be had, you pick the trans that you want to live with, not so much on what's better.

Because there is none really. The M7 might be harder to get consistent 1/4 times but it's also a perfect street car. And it kicks *** on the road course.

The A8 will give you consistent fast 1/4 times but will overheat on you on the road course. And IMHO, boring and inefficient for street use.

People really need to open their eyes and drive other cars before claiming their Z as the best car on the planet. People are too involved with their "investment" in the corvette that they brainwash and blind themselves from reality.

The corvette is NOT the perfect car. It doesn't have the best interior, it doesn't have the best (efficient/reliable) powertrain.

You're fooled by it's exotic looks and supercar performance that you think it's the best car there is. And you think no other car is better.

To me, that sounds like someone who's insecure, naive and childish. Be proud of what you own but at the same time be humble about it. Your feelings will get hurt bad if someone told you in your face things you don't want to hear about your corvette.

Btw, i got my M7 because i still like rowing the gears and because i don't want to deal with the crappy A8 issues. Can't wait for the awesome DCT in the C8
Rob, I hope you're not directing the last part about the insecurity and what not towards me. I thought we were on the same page about this stuff. We even chatted about having friendly match-ups with the A8 vs M7. I made the video for people who want to know more about the car (outside of CF as well) and I figure I give my 2 cents since I've owned both.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:52 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by xkilo16x
Rob, I hope you're not directing the last part about the insecurity and what not towards me. I thought we were on the same page about this stuff. We even chatted about having friendly match-ups with the A8 vs M7. I made the video for people who want to know more about the car (outside of CF as well) and I figure I give my 2 cents since I've owned both.
Definitely not towards you, i know you're actually open minded about cars. We've talked before.

I was just voicing my opinion on this in regarding the actual thread title and because of the other thread about the z06 vs zr1. Some owners are delusional beyond belief if they think their mass produced corvette is any better than german engineering.
The following users liked this post:
xkilo16x (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 08:58 PM
xkilo16x
Pro

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
Definitely not towards you, i know you're actually open minded about cars. We've talked before.

I was just voicing my opinion on this in regarding the actual thread title and because of the other thread about the z06 vs zr1. Some owners are delusional beyond belief if they think their mass produced corvette is any better than german engineering.
Gotcha, just checking lol.

Going back on an old chat we had, I had a Hellcat for a few days (last week) for a review. I have driven them before on test drives, but after an extended period with a track day, it's easy to admit that the transmission is one of the better auto's in terms of response and feel. I think in terms of sheer shift speed, the Z06 still wins. But the way the Hellcat's A8 shifts is just that much more satisfying.
Z0HS1CK (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 09:20 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by xkilo16x
Gotcha, just checking lol.

Going back on an old chat we had, I had a Hellcat for a few days (last week) for a review. I have driven them before on test drives, but after an extended period with a track day, it's easy to admit that the transmission is one of the better auto's in terms of response and feel. I think in terms of sheer shift speed, the Z06 still wins. But the way the Hellcat's A8 shifts is just that much more satisfying.
Yes the Z06 will always win vs a hellcat, stock vs stock because of power to weight. Those are insanely heavy cars. Especially once they start packing the car with passengers.

My friends hellcat (before he heavily modified it), i would crush him in any mph up to 130ish. And i have a M7 and i'm not the best driver. However being in his car, the power plus the trans makes it "feel" like it's faster. Because of how usable the torque is in conjunction with how crisp and immediate the shifts are. And he didn't even put it in "track" mode. It's just a better auto trans vs the A8.

That's why you find the ZF in many cars, high end cars too. It's a REALLY good trans.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:17 AM
tlegend
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

After experiencing REV match on 7MT, game over!

Last edited by tlegend; 02-01-2019 at 12:33 AM.
timmyZ06 (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 01:45 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

It's a matter of personal preference, I know the greater percentage of new Corvettes of any type are automatics, an automatic was never a consideration for me, and I did drive an A8 ZO6 before I ordered my M7 ZO6. No disrespect to the A8 guys, but for me, I've had a lot of "toys" of many different makes, and every one of them has been a manual transmission. I've spent quite a few years driving 18 speed transmissions, so a 7 speed is a piece of cake.

Get notified of new replies

To Auto vs. Manual comparison review video

Old 02-01-2019, 08:25 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Great vid. It had a "mystique" about it that was different from most vids. What was the BMW in the roll race?

Last edited by Carvin; 02-01-2019 at 08:26 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-01-2019, 08:37 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 258 Posts

Pretty well put together video. I enjoyed it. Little sad you chose the A8 in the end, but glad to hear you aren't letting go of the manual trans forever!
xkilo16x (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 08:37 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by tlegend
After experiencing REV match on 7MT, game over!
that's it!!! Everyone who bought a Z for the joy of driving the car and NOT DD it, Its done argument won!! Absolutely no autos will come close to the fun factor of a M7!!
I ordered a 19 M7 because it might be the last MANual vette!!!

Last edited by timmyZ06; 02-01-2019 at 08:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Auto vs. Manual comparison review video