C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Dealer put 45 miles on Z for an alignment!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 11:18 PM
01Defense
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts
Default Dealer put 45 miles on Z for an alignment!

Took Z in for an alignment, which took 5 hours and the technician logged 45 miles on my car. I intermittently questioned the service adviser as to why it was taking so long for an assignment and he said mine was way off. The car is lowered on stock bolts and was pulling to the right. SA said tech had to road test the car each time between pulling back on the rack to make adjustments. The last thing he did was a relearn procedure for the steering wheel. I got in the car, drove off and then noticed the mileage. I shortly returned to the dealer and addressed the mileage concern and noted to SA that the in/out mileage matched, which was incorrect. SA hand wrote the correct out mileage and agreed to correct in the system. Anybody familiar with this process, please chime in and let me know if this is normal mileage needed to properly align a vehicle. Also, does it take 5 hours for an experienced tech to properly align a vehicle. Note, I do not drive my vehicle much and very careful with the operation/care of my baby.

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2019, 11:23 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I once had a guy take several hours to get a car right but when it was done it was done right. I'm sure he would have rather got it done quickly but I appreciated the fact that he did it right. It wasn't the first time I had a car there and they do all kinds of nice cars so its not like he was joyriding a Corvette. So, is your alignment good or no?
Old 02-01-2019, 11:40 PM
01Defense
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pewter99
I once had a guy take several hours to get a car right but when it was done it was done right. I'm sure he would have rather got it done quickly but I appreciated the fact that he did it right. It wasn't the first time I had a car there and they do all kinds of nice cars so its not like he was joyriding a Corvette. So, is your alignment good or no?
It's no longer pulling and appears to be ok. I drove it 50 miles back home and parked it. I brought it there bc of the pulling and just wanted to make sure the car was aligned properly. I have had alignments done on a number of nice cars and it has never taken 5 hours.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:47 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

Did they give you a print out of the before and after specs?
Old 02-02-2019, 07:52 AM
01Defense
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by YO-EL
Did they give you a print out of the before and after specs?
No Sir, but I have gotten those in the past.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:07 AM
Doctor Mark
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 118 Posts

It seems rather odd but the best advice is to forget it and move on. Raising a stink will not alter what has happened. Might think twice about using that shop again.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:59 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Sounds like it is fine, so the problem was taken care of why it took 5 hours not sure. As for the 45 miles maybe he had to make several adjustments and consequently test them out, again not sure. I would move on your Vette alignment is taken care of no damage no big deal.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:10 AM
carcrazysammy
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Any damage to the car? If you have the PDR did you have valet mode running?

Unless the car is damaged or you have proof of abuse forget it. More than likely the tech got the chance to milk the test drive in a car he dreams about. Just to make sure the alignment was perfect. Something I would do even today.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:24 AM
Jeff78
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I align cars for a living. A few times a year I will have a car or a customer that can be very challenging. In those cases I feel it best to get the car out on the highway to duplicate the owners drive. This may require bringing it back in, tweaking it and road test again.

I can almost assure you the tech was not getting his jollies driving your car but instead wanted to make sure you were happy with the final product.

If you don't mind what did this five hour alignment cost you?
Old 02-02-2019, 10:12 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Did they set rear caster this can take extra time, a lot of dealers don't have the special tools to do this. I pestered my dealer till they got one for the Corvette tech to use. Tools are a little over 1000.00 dollars if dealer doesn't service a lot of corvettes they won't spend the money.
z51vett
Doug
Old 02-02-2019, 10:36 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff78
I align cars for a living. A few times a year I will have a car or a customer that can be very challenging. In those cases I feel it best to get the car out on the highway to duplicate the owners drive. This may require bringing it back in, tweaking it and road test again.

I can almost assure you the tech was not getting his jollies driving your car but instead wanted to make sure you were happy with the final product.

If you don't mind what did this five hour alignment cost you?
I agree. A tech that will go abuse a Corvette does the same thing to Cobalts, just no one looks or cares when it's a Cobalt.

If an alignment is done at the posted labor rate of $200 on average the alignment should have costed $1000. I also wonder what was paid.....
Old 02-02-2019, 07:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Given the travel limitations of the rear toe links getting a proper rear toe setting could have been a challenge with the car lowered as much as you say it was lowered. Especially, if you gave them some specific settings you wanted. Adjusting the rear camber and caster settings to the DSC recommendations can be a challenge since they are so touchy then once you have them the rear toe setting becomes a real challenge due to rear toe links lack of travel. A simple 1 hour job can easily turn into a 5 hour job on a car that isn't lowered. One of the reasons why shops that do track alignments to the DSC specs get $400 for an alignment.

Bill
Old 02-02-2019, 10:00 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

This is a case that would not bother me. I'd rather have him do it right than still have a problem. Sometimes that's what is needed.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:23 AM
01Defense
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
I agree. A tech that will go abuse a Corvette does the same thing to Cobalts, just no one looks or cares when it's a Cobalt.

If an alignment is done at the posted labor rate of $200 on average the alignment should have costed $1000. I also wonder what was paid.....
Paid 150.00 at a dealership that specializes in Corvettes. There is no way I would pay over 200.00 for a wheel alignment.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:43 AM
01Defense
Burning Brakes

I ran this concern by an old friend who did alignments at a dealership for a living years ago. He shares the same concern because he said an hour and half is sufficient because of the technological advancements. He asked was I provided with before and after specs, which I was not. 45 miles equates to about 45 minutes driving the car which he said was excessive, along with taking 5 hours to complete an alignment at a Corvette specialty dealer. btw, they I got the "street" alignment bc I don't do road course racing. I noticed today there are marks on the faces of my signature forged wheels from the alignment equipment...wtf. I will request the specs and have them reviewed by the old friend. He said he will be able to make sense of this using those.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:49 AM
01Defense
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by carcrazysammy
Any damage to the car? If you have the PDR did you have valet mode running?

Unless the car is damaged or you have proof of abuse forget it. More than likely the tech got the chance to milk the test drive in a car he dreams about. Just to make sure the alignment was perfect. Something I would do even today.
Nothing noticeable in the way of damage. My new wheels have marks on them from alignment equipment though. Hopefully they wash/buff away
Old 02-03-2019, 01:55 AM
01Defense
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Doctor Mark
It seems rather odd but the best advice is to forget it and move on. Raising a stink will not alter what has happened. Might think twice about using that shop again.
I will bring awareness to the dealer if determined the alignment should not have taken 5 hours. This only helps the dealer improve services and if I owned a dealership, I would want my customers to provide positive/negative feedback.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer put 45 miles on Z for an alignment!

Old 02-03-2019, 04:20 AM
ZMMMMM
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 160 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Defense
Took Z in for an alignment, which took 5 hours and the technician logged 45 miles on my car.
I take newspapers, and, set up camp right outside the service bay #problemsolved

Originally Posted by Doctor Mark
Might think twice about using that shop again.
You never know if the tech(s) at the dealership down the road will be twice-as-good, or, twice-as-bad.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:08 AM
Lasco001
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

We do a lot of alignments on Corvettes
For the street / For club sport and also for races
Perfect alignment with the C7 can take a long time:
I ask my customers: What do you want?
  • short wait and cheap?
  • Perfect work takes more time and costs more.
I drive first test drive 3-4 kilometers
I fill up gas tank.
In workshop on the balance for a perfect alignment of weight
Then the car goes into the geometry for alignment
Afterwards I do a test drive, if everything is as so as my customer wishes and my experience says then it is good.
At least I drive 5 kilometers
After that, I'm doing another check on the alignment. I have the experience, the C7 almost always has to be corrected a few percent again.
After that I do another test drive.
Now we are not done yet, the vehicle is perfectly cleaned inside and out.
Half a day's time is quite normal when the work is done perfectly.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:23 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Defense
I ran this concern by an old friend who did alignments at a dealership for a living years ago. He shares the same concern because he said an hour and half is sufficient because of the technological advancements. He asked was I provided with before and after specs, which I was not. 45 miles equates to about 45 minutes driving the car which he said was excessive, along with taking 5 hours to complete an alignment at a Corvette specialty dealer. btw, they I got the "street" alignment bc I don't do road course racing. I noticed today there are marks on the faces of my signature forged wheels from the alignment equipment...wtf. I will request the specs and have them reviewed by the old friend. He said he will be able to make sense of this using those.
Your old friend hasn't had the joy of adjusting rear caster yet. Even doing a street alignment setting rear caster can be a chore. 45 miles is 4 separate trips out of the dealership with a round trip distance of 12 miles.

Bill

Quick Reply: Dealer put 45 miles on Z for an alignment!