C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

To Z06 owners - what are your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 11:05 AM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Default To Z06 owners - what are your thoughts

Hey there, I've owned two C6 Corvettes (one Z06 and one ZR1). I am without a Corvette right now and would like to get into another one within the next year or so. I would appreciate the new technology and features and beautiful interior of the newer C7 so I think I may have made up my mind on a C7.

My dilemma is whether to get a Grand Sport or a Z06. I've always been about getting as much horsepower as possible - even if I can't realistically use all of it on the street. But here's the thing: the car will NEVER be tracked it will be strictly a weekend cruising car on the city streets. The Z06 seems like the obvious choice still but there are a few things I am hoping you guys can clarify for me:

1) If the car is strictly street driven (in manual tranny form) are there any overheating issues or was that whole mess more for the automatics that were seeing heavy track time? Does the overheating issue go up if I start modding the car, even though it'll still only be street driven?

2) Do any of you have issues with the small 1.7L blower and does it cause you any problems if you start modding more than just an exhaust and headers?

That is my only dilemma really. I want to go heavy on the mods and get somewhere in the 750rwhp range. Is that very realistic with the Z06 or would a better option be saving the money to purchase a Grand Sport and then modding that up to 750 or so?

I've heard of quite a few Z06 owners removing the stock blower to go with a Procharger - at that point I feel the Z06 is pointless and may as well have saved the money, purchased the GS and then gone with a Procharger anyways.

Any input would be appreciated. I'm mainly just wondering if any of you who have started modding your Z06s to the area of around 750rwhp are running into overheating issues, problems with the small blower or anything else and in hind sight would have chosen the GS instead.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:12 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Sounds like you're throwing your warranty away to go get 750hp and you won't drive it on a track. I suggest getting the cheapest Corvette you can get which would be a Stingray. Then add a procharger and supporting mods. Given your goals theirs no reason to pay for the suspension and styling upgrades of a GS or Z06. Have fun.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:26 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

I will disagree with the above. Get a used Z06 and a few mods and you’ll be set. The motor is built for a blower. The GS isn’t no matter what many will say. If you want longevity get the Z. If you aren’t tracking the car you may realize you won’t need as much power as you think. The car is a beast stock. With a 17 and up M7 you won’t have heat issues on the street. The auto is fine on the street as well.
The following users liked this post:
vdavenp802 (02-05-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 11:41 AM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cvp33
Sounds like you're throwing your warranty away to go get 750hp and you won't drive it on a track. I suggest getting the cheapest Corvette you can get which would be a Stingray. Then add a procharger and supporting mods. Given your goals theirs no reason to pay for the suspension and styling upgrades of a GS or Z06. Have fun.
Will not do the Stingray. I think the wide body of the Z06 and GS is beautiful and absolutely necessary for me. A Stingray is not an option for me
Old 02-03-2019, 11:42 AM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by saleen556
I will disagree with the above. Get a used Z06 and a few mods and you’ll be set. The motor is built for a blower. The GS isn’t no matter what many will say. If you want longevity get the Z. If you aren’t tracking the car you may realize you won’t need as much power as you think. The car is a beast stock. With a 17 and up M7 you won’t have heat issues on the street. The auto is fine on the street as well.
What is different about the 17 and up that you say there will be no overheating issues? Did they make improvements beginning in 17? So 750rwhp is no problem for a Z06 and the smaller blower?
Old 02-03-2019, 11:53 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by DanMan35
Hey there, I've owned two C6 Corvettes (one Z06 and one ZR1). I am without a Corvette right now and would like to get into another one within the next year or so. I would appreciate the new technology and features and beautiful interior of the newer C7 so I think I may have made up my mind on a C7.

My dilemma is whether to get a Grand Sport or a Z06. I've always been about getting as much horsepower as possible - even if I can't realistically use all of it on the street. But here's the thing: the car will NEVER be tracked it will be strictly a weekend cruising car on the city streets. The Z06 seems like the obvious choice still but there are a few things I am hoping you guys can clarify for me:

1) If the car is strictly street driven (in manual tranny form) are there any overheating issues or was that whole mess more for the automatics that were seeing heavy track time? Does the overheating issue go up if I start modding the car, even though it'll still only be street driven?

2) Do any of you have issues with the small 1.7L blower and does it cause you any problems if you start modding more than just an exhaust and headers?

That is my only dilemma really. I want to go heavy on the mods and get somewhere in the 750rwhp range. Is that very realistic with the Z06 or would a better option be saving the money to purchase a Grand Sport and then modding that up to 750 or so?

I've heard of quite a few Z06 owners removing the stock blower to go with a Procharger - at that point I feel the Z06 is pointless and may as well have saved the money, purchased the GS and then gone with a Procharger anyways.

Any input would be appreciated. I'm mainly just wondering if any of you who have started modding your Z06s to the area of around 750rwhp are running into overheating issues, problems with the small blower or anything else and in hind sight would have chosen the GS instead.
so you’re going for a street racing car in Las Vegas?

Last edited by Parcival; 02-03-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:13 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

There are no overheating issues on the street with either car. Overheating occurs on track with the A8s but most of the stuff is internet BS. I can run my M7 on track 4 full 20 minute sessions per day with ambient temps in the low 90s without any overheating. Over the last 3 seasons I haven't met an A8 owner at the track that was having a problem with over heating.

Can't say because the tremendous low end torque provided by the LT4 with the 1.7 charger is sufficient. Problem is most people can't handle that amount of low end power as they don't know how to use the gas pedal. Right now my 15 Z is still capable of passing almost everything on the track except some ZR1s and the gas pump. I have to fill the tank between track sessions or I wouldn't be able complete two 20 minute sessions in a row.

As for modding the car for the street what is the purpose if you are never going to open it up? Buy one and find out what a thrill it is to hold the throttle wide open for about 30 seconds. If you can't do that with a stock car you sure won't be able to do it with a modded one. Bragging rights can be achieved by adding stickers and lying.

Bill
The following 4 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
AaronZ51 (02-04-2019), timmyZ06 (02-03-2019), trooper (02-03-2019), tzoid9 (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 12:19 PM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Parcival

so you’re going for a street racing car in Las Vegas?

Street driven, no track time. And yes, I live in LV
Old 02-03-2019, 12:26 PM
tehstoffa
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2019 Z06 and live in the same town. I sent my Z to Cordes in phoenix and went with a smaller pulley, cold air intake, headers, expansion tank/catch can/thermostat, and a tune. The car now makes 620/680 at the wheels in summer temps. On our roads, you simply cannot use this amount of power regardless of the time of the year. I have had zero issues with any overheating even in the summer.

I would suggest the Z, no doubt about it. Plenty of people making the power level you are wanting with a Z without issues. If you plan on trying to put that power down, you definitely need to plan on going to a tire that doesn't need so much time to warm up especially on the street.

My .02 cents. Good luck!
Old 02-03-2019, 12:29 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

the car won’t overheat on the street

the 1.7 supercharger does give good torque down low- but it peters out up top especially once the car is at full operating temperature.

Seats are great. Ac in the summer works well and heated in the winter is good too.

All the tech gadgetry in the dashboard is pretty worthless “in my opinion”. Unless your a tech geek that likes to full around with that sort of thing.

With all the torque down low the e-diff makes the car wiggy. Some swear by it for the track.

The car reminds me of a 2 door Cadillac.

as far as the looks of the c7z sometimes I think it looks good and sometimes it reminds me of this Seinfeld episode.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 02-03-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:38 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

What is different about the 17 and up that you say there will be no overheating issues? Did they make improvements beginning in 17? So 750rwhp is no problem for a Z06 and the smaller blower?
Yes a different lid on the blower and an extra cooler in the M7. The auto didn’t have room. As said if you don’t track it you’ll have no hearing issues with either.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:56 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

the car won’t overheat on the street

the 1.7 supercharger does give good torque down low- but it peters out up top especially once the car is at full operating temperature.

Seats are great. Ac in the summer works well and heated in the winter is good too.

All the tech gadgetry in the dashboard is pretty worthless “in my opinion”. Unless your a tech geek that likes to full around with that sort of thing.

With all the torque down low the e-diff makes the car wiggy. Some swear by it for the track.

The car reminds me of a 2 door Cadillac.

as far as the looks of the c7z sometimes I think it looks good and sometimes it reminds me of this Seinfeld episode.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TFeUrC2gR30
gizmo u r one of the worst ambassadors of the c7z who claims to own one.

itd be one thing to have one blow up or overheat in your hands... here you are b*tching abt the looks and the dash when the OP clearly has settled on the look... In most other threads u b*tch abt the speed vs a c6z. Srsly what gives. Your SO must love u!

To the OP, I owned ‘17 Gs A8 and own ‘17 z06 m7 and I looked at putting a blower on the Gs and a few light mods. I ended up going with z for mainly Street driving. It came down to a price/ convenience thing for me, living in Cali the z still stock at this point. If I had the time and energy (and the right network), I would undertake a quest like what Por-sha is doing in another thread but he is going for race specs (GS.R).

Last edited by Parcival; 02-03-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:08 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Parcival

gizmo u r one of the worst ambassadors of the c7z who claims to own one.

itd be one thing to have one blow up or overheat in your hands... here you are b*tching abt the looks and the dash when the OP clearly has settled on the look... In most other threads u b*tch abt the speed vs a c6z. Srsly what gives. Your SO must love u!

To the OP, I owned ‘17 Gs A8 and own ‘17 z06 m7 and I looked at putting a blower on the Gs and a few light mods. I ended up going with z for mainly Street driving. It came down to a price/ convenience thing for me, living in Cali the z still stock at this point. If I had the time and energy (and the right network), I would undertake a quest like what Por-sha is doing in another thread but he is going for race specs (GS.R).
hey I own one. I am Not a troll — I just “ain’t gonna” sugar coat what I think are the deficits.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 02-03-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:11 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Im a previous owner of a FBO C6ZR1, and believe you wont be dissapointed with a C7Z M7! My 15Z made 698WHP and 757WTQ with pulley, headers meth and tune. The 1.7L IS limited to make high HP numbers, but its SOOO response down low where you spend 90% of the time driving, so i think its a no brainer!!
Old 02-03-2019, 02:12 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

hey I own one. I am Not a troll — I just “ain’t gonna” sugar coat what I think are the deficits.
Your So Called deficits, might not be revelant for the OP, i think thats the point here!
Old 02-03-2019, 03:42 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
Your So Called deficits, might not be revelant for the OP, i think thats the point here!
The op asked about the super charger and overheating. I told him my thoughts . Also shared my opinion on the dashboard technology and e-diff.

tell the op your concerns about the e-diff and your experience first hand —
& Don’t sugar coat it.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 02-03-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:23 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,137 Posts

Originally Posted by saleen556
This.

I'll still never understand why some would go for a GS when for a couple grand more you can get a Z.

Stingray is a different story. If you don't care at all about performance.

Get notified of new replies

To To Z06 owners - what are your thoughts

Old 02-03-2019, 08:01 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

The op asked about the super charger and overheating. I told him my thoughts . Also shared my opinion on the dashboard technology and e-diff.

tell the op your concerns about the e-diff and your experience first hand —
& Don’t sugar coat it.
well actually, the control module was the cause of the Ediff malfunction, but that i can tell, that event could have been much more ugly!! I know few dudes that had the same issue and had bad accident because of a deffective Ediff control, which is also know by GM and of course they wont do anything about it! Granted, i was in touring mode, supposelly doesnt happens in sport or track mode. I also know that even at spring mountain they figure out some i had Ediff issue!!

Last edited by timmyZ06; 02-03-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:19 PM
dale fehrenbach
Pro

Received 261 Likes on 147 Posts

I have a 16 Z06, 3LZ, m7. Terrific car.
I don’t track and have no interest in that or any mods.
This is my fourth vette, two stingrays and two Z06s.
if I were buying today, I’d probably get the GS M7, it has the looks and plenty power for a street daily driver.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:19 PM
BLK06ZO6
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

If you’re looking for that kind of power, I’d get the ZR1. A few intake and exhaust mods will get you over 750hp at the wheels and you can keep your warranty. I always remember “more mods more problems” when I get the itch to change something.
The following 2 users liked this post by BLK06ZO6:
jstewart (02-05-2019), Z0HS1CK (02-03-2019)

Quick Reply: To Z06 owners - what are your thoughts