C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 09:15 PM
jlbjr
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Tire Pressure

So you all feel more grip when you run the tires at 29 or 30 hot? I’m at 31/32 and just wanted to know if it made much difference. Thanks
Old 02-04-2019, 09:22 PM
BLK06ZO6
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I run Cup2’s 32 psi square hot. It seems to be the sweet spot for me.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by jlbjr
So you all feel more grip when you run the tires at 29 or 30 hot? I’m at 31/32 and just wanted to know if it made much difference. Thanks
Originally Posted by BLK06ZO6
I run Cup2’s 32 psi square hot. It seems to be the sweet spot for me.
This sort of depends on how the car is being driven. The recommended cold pressure for street driving is 30 psi. I don't bother looking at what the warm temp pressures are since almost all street driving results in warm tire temps at best. On track GM recommends a 26 psi cold pressure setting which usually turns up right around 32 psi hot. A hot tire is when the tread is running at 190 degrees F it takes about 5 miles of triple digit speeds and hard cornering to get up to that temp. I have never seen a street/highway tire temp go over 150 deg F even when pushed as hard as you can get away with.

Bill
Old 02-04-2019, 11:00 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

In Europe, sustained high speed driving can also overheat the tire, even when the car is driven just straight, due to much higher speeds allowed on some of the highways in some of the countries. Other than that, it's indeed pretty hard to overheat, or even properly warm up tires at the street.

Back to the question, especially in colder weather, lower pressure helps. It lets the tire flex more, causing more heat build-up, which is what you need at low temps. I've recently dropped mine to 26 PSI for street (PSS ZP). This helped me gain 3 PSI during my commute (i.e. higher temp increase) compared to ~ 2 PSI I did when I started from 30 PSI in similar conditions. Due to this, the tires will wear out quicker, or possibly uneven, and fuel mileage will suffer, too, but as is I'll take any more grip I can get from these tires, that seem to be awful for any cold weather.

Last edited by X25; 02-04-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:30 PM
BLK06ZO6
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
This sort of depends on how the car is being driven. The recommended cold pressure for street driving is 30 psi. I don't bother looking at what the warm temp pressures are since almost all street driving results in warm tire temps at best. On track GM recommends a 26 psi cold pressure setting which usually turns up right around 32 psi hot. A hot tire is when the tread is running at 190 degrees F it takes about 5 miles of triple digit speeds and hard cornering to get up to that temp. I have never seen a street/highway tire temp go over 150 deg F even when pushed as hard as you can get away with.

Bill
I was referring to track situations. I start at 26 psi square cold and depending on the track and ambient temp I adjust to 32 hot. I’ve seen my front driver side tire grow to 42 psi so usually let some air out as soon as I get back to the paddock. By the next session hot temps reach 32 psi in 3-4 laps just in time for a great session before the tire heat cycles out. Lol such is life with our cars.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:25 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

My 2 cents (brainstorming)
Your tires need to get to that 180-200 F range, especially those that require warm-up for best performance. There's roughly about 0.7 PSI increment for every 10 degees F gain. 180-70 (ambient) is delta in temp, ~110. 11x0.7=7.7 PSI gain is expected. No wonder I commonly see 7-8 PSI increase during a session.

Anyway, if you want 32 hot, it means 24 or so cold in these conditions. You could start with 24 instead, but you should make sure to not push it too much or do too much speed before it warms up to 26+ PSI. 1-3 PSI of pressure creep is also very common during the day, as ambient temps pick up (usually by 3 PM).

This is all good if tires do warm up. What if they don't? Heat cycled tires warm up slower, for instance. What if ambient temps drop, but you can't reach your target hot pressures? Do you increase your cold pressures to hit your targets? That's probably the wrong course of action, since higher cold pressures will allow even less flex, and you'll get to even lower tread temps than you were getting (much less than 180), even though target pressure is achieved. So now, you need to choose: lower cold pressures that help warm up the tire, but might not hit 32 PSI, which might not give you the optimal tread shape? Or higher cold temps to hit your targets and tread shape? I usually prefer the former, but there's no one clear answer, since it depends on the flexibility of compound. With PSS ZP or Cup2 ZP, I'd lower initial cold pressures since those tires are useless without high temps, and ZP profiles can support lower pressures safer than most other tires. With R888R, I'd focus more on hitting my pressure goals since this compound tends to overheat anyway.

Last edited by X25; 02-05-2019 at 09:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Pressure

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure