C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06/Z07 consumables cost

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 05:57 PM
Exia
Burning Brakes

Received 844 Likes on 351 Posts
Default Z06/Z07 consumables cost

Hey guys,

I'm looking at upgrading my C7 Grand Sport A8 to an M7 Z06. I'm currently debating on the Z07 package. I will primarily be street driving with maybe 1 track session a year (if that) but I love the idea of having the most capable Z06 as I will be hanging onto this car for quite a while. I know the Z07 rotors are supposed to last the "life" of the vehicle and that they do cost quite a bit to replace when the time comes but I was curious as to the cost difference between the brake pads on the Z07 vs non-Z07. As I understand it the aftermarket brake pads for the non-Z07 is quite good and you can find good pads for cheap when the time comes but when it comes to the Z07 pads its another story. From what I can dig up regular Z06 pads could last you anywhere from 25k-50k miles depending on use. I've also found a full set of pads for the Z07 would cost as much as a new set of tires.

I know how much life to expect out of my tires and how much they are to replace but I can't seem to find any good laid out information on pad/rotor cost for the non-Z07 vs Z07 and how often/mileage needed before having to replace each if just street driving, say 50/50 city/highway for about 5k miles a year. Just looking into budgeting so ensure I don't get any nasty surprises down the road. I can deal with the tire cost of about 3k a set every 3-5 years, if the Z07 pads also run 3k a set and can last me 3-5 years I would be ok with that.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:15 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

You better do more research.
My experience is I need more tires and more brake pad than your estimate. But on the bright side, tires are cheaper than the $3k.
I'd pass on the CCB and go Steel rotors.
At 12.7 mpg, fuel is my most consumable.

Last edited by jaden61; 02-06-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:19 PM
Exia
Burning Brakes

Received 844 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by jaden61
You better do more research.
My experience is I need more tires and more brake pad than your estimate. But on the bright side, tires are cheaper than the $3k.
I'd pass on the CCB and go Steel rotors.
At 12.7 mpg, fuel is my most consumable.
I live in Canada, this is what the tires go for. Are you saying that you burn through a set of MPSS in less then 15k miles? How long did you pads last you
Old 02-06-2019, 07:16 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Original MPSS showed cord prior to 10k. Went with Continental Extreme Contact and changed those out at the wear mark at 22k. Back on MPSS, I am at 28k and gonna need tire soon.
Brakes were close at 18k
Old 02-06-2019, 07:23 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Tire says it is a 30k tire, but when you can not rotate because of different size front and rear. mileage is half. At best.

Michelin Disclaimer read in brochure: https://www.michelinman.com/tire/mic...&zipCode=95662

* Mileage Warranty Exceptions
Split fitments - If your vehicle has tires of different sizes on the front versus the rear axles, your tires cannot be rotated as recommended. Therefore, the mileage warranty on each rear tire will cover half the number of miles as the standard mileage warranty for that particular tire line.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:29 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jaden61
Original MPSS showed cord prior to 10k. Went with Continental Extreme Contact and changed those out at the wear mark at 22k. Back on MPSS, I am at 28k and gonna need tire soon.
Brakes were close at 18k
Can't you rotate the MPSS side to side?
Old 02-06-2019, 08:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Exia
Hey guys,

I'm looking at upgrading my C7 Grand Sport A8 to an M7 Z06. I'm currently debating on the Z07 package. I will primarily be street driving with maybe 1 track session a year (if that) but I love the idea of having the most capable Z06 as I will be hanging onto this car for quite a while. I know the Z07 rotors are supposed to last the "life" of the vehicle and that they do cost quite a bit to replace when the time comes but I was curious as to the cost difference between the brake pads on the Z07 vs non-Z07. As I understand it the aftermarket brake pads for the non-Z07 is quite good and you can find good pads for cheap when the time comes but when it comes to the Z07 pads its another story. From what I can dig up regular Z06 pads could last you anywhere from 25k-50k miles depending on use. I've also found a full set of pads for the Z07 would cost as much as a new set of tires.

I know how much life to expect out of my tires and how much they are to replace but I can't seem to find any good laid out information on pad/rotor cost for the non-Z07 vs Z07 and how often/mileage needed before having to replace each if just street driving, say 50/50 city/highway for about 5k miles a year. Just looking into budgeting so ensure I don't get any nasty surprises down the road. I can deal with the tire cost of about 3k a set every 3-5 years, if the Z07 pads also run 3k a set and can last me 3-5 years I would be ok with that.

Any help is appreciated.
Pads don't wear all that fast if you aren't on the track. 6 Days of Instructor level driving will waste a set of pads. 13 to 15 days of the same level driving will wear out a rotor. Once the rotor starts to wear and gets pock marks in it pad life drops off considerably as the pock marks really erode the pad.

On the street alone I don't know of anybody who has come close to replacing pads or rotors on a C6ZR1 (started in 2009) let alone a C7 Z06.

Bill
Old 02-06-2019, 09:03 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Exia....you're probably going to get a mix of opinions on your question....Z07 or not. Your idea to switch to a Z06 is a no brainer, IMO. As far as the Z07 option, I went thru the same thought process when I ordered my first Z06 in 2016 and when I bought my second new one a few months ago. Here is what I concluded and I've never regretted my decision.....
1) Unless you are regularly tracking your car, the Z07 option will very likely not give you much of any advantage on the track. If you are an experienced driver on a road course and accustomed to driving this car, then you very likely would notice a difference, otherwise it would be unlikely.
2) The suspension on the Z06 model is tight to begin with, not like a Viper's but even in Tour mode it will feels somewhat firm. The Z07 is even firmer and if you live in an area where you will be driving less than smooth roads, you will notice that. For me, I don't need that teeth jarring ride.
3) Worried about tires? Neither the base model or the Z06 new car tires will give you a long life, but guaranteed, the Z07's tire will not last as long as the base Z06 tire. Besides that, neither tire does well in the colder weather, but the base car's tire does better than the Z07 model tire. Both tires are the same size and there's no rule that doesn't allow to run the less expensive standard tire on the Z07 car, it's just that you really shouldn't be tracking the car with those "lesser" tires.
4) Brakes. This argument is all over the place. IMO, the base Z06 iron brakes do a terrific job and will last you a reasonable life, but it really depends on your driving style. For normal non track driving, the iron brakes will stop you very well. They are dusty on your wheels, but for less than $200 you can buy new dust free brake pads and have them changed for $100 or less, all 4 wheels. I've done that on my last 5 new cars (two Z06's, a GT-R, a Jaguar F type R and a Challenger Hellcat) and they work great! As far as a full replacement of pads and rotors, you can get that done for way less than $1000 and get very good, quite acceptable, aftermarket parts.

These factors were my basic reasons for ordering the Base Z06 with the 2 LZ option (that's a great option, by the way) and not consider the Z07 option. Either model will make you smile from ear to ear, but you'll save some place in the $6K+ range without the Z07 option, which as I've already stated, is not necessary for normal street driving habits. Good luck!
Old 02-06-2019, 09:42 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

1 hpde a year, I would not even care about consumables.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06/Z07 consumables cost

Quick Reply: Z06/Z07 consumables cost