Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 Z06 Discussion
Reload this Page >

Spring Mountain Question for M7 Z06 Owners

Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring Mountain Question for M7 Z06 Owners

Old 02-08-2019, 04:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Thanked 3,193 Times in 2,142 Posts

Originally Posted by 6104696 View Post
When I went to the Spring Mountain COS (2+ years ago), they did give me the option of using the rev match or doing heel/toe for that shifting/accelleration drill. I chose heel/toe (which I have always sucked at), and they did work with me on it.

But rev match is much better than I could do.

Having had several track days under my belt before hitting Spring Mountain, I found the COS to be a little on the "basic" side. I went back a year later and did their Level 2 course, which was a blast.
Rev Match is so good I have almost lost my Heel/Toe Skill. Can now wear comfortable shoes while driving the car instead of thin soled shoes since I don't need to feel the brake pedal the way I had to for heel/toe.

Bill
Old 02-09-2019, 01:08 PM
TXshaggy
CF Senior Member

In a manual equipped car theyíll instruct pulling away without giving the car any gas. With the high clutch release point you may want to practice that before going. Obviously only works on semi-level ground and wheels pointed straight otherwise you will stall.
The Following User Says Thank You to TXshaggy For This Useful Post:
MSG C5 (02-10-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 03:57 PM
Big Lebowski
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by glava2876 View Post
Vettejeff, when in March? I'm going for my 2nd time the 25th & 26th. Last Time it was for my M7 w/ Z51. This time for my M7 Z06.
Iíll be at SM for my 2nd COS on Feb 28th & Mar 1st. My first visit was in an A8 Z06 back in Spring 2017, though Iíve always driven manual. This time Iím in a M7 Z06. Canít wait.

As for gearing, my only reference is from an A8, though Iíll be in the same boat later this month. Our instruction was much the same as others have reported in the M7. We were told to keep it mostly in 3rd & 4th gear throughout the class. As Bill stated, the need was rarely there to go higher or lower.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:15 PM
NickG-Z06
CF Senior Member

I hadn't driven a stick for several years, and received my car about a month before I was due for spring mountain. I did just fine though, as many have mentioned, there isn't much shifting anyway. You'll do great!
The Following User Says Thank You to NickG-Z06 For This Useful Post:
MSG C5 (02-10-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 07:42 PM
vettejeff
CF Senior Member

march 11-12
The Following User Says Thank You to vettejeff For This Useful Post:
glava2876 (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 06:28 PM
Road machine
CF Senior Member

I just got back from SM this past weekend. The instructor had a very interesting answer to your question. the most important part of shifting the M7 (or any manual) is actually getting it in the gear you want. You are not drag racing so there is no need to rush the shift. Precision is better than speed here. the most important thing is to get the right gear. If you think you are shifting into third but actually go into first, you are going to lock the wheels and spin....traction control cannot do anything about this type of mistake, so take your time and find the right gear. A big help they had was showing where true neutral is, and that is between 3rd and 4th, so if you are just using 3rd and 4th all you need to do from neutral is go straight up or straight back, no side to side.

Years ago I did the 5 day class at Bondurant. One of the guys had a Ferrari with paddles. So he had to learn to drive a stick there. He was doing pretty well until he hit 1st instead of 3rd and spun right in front of me.Luckily he was in a spot where he could just go off track and did not hit anything....other places could have been ugly. Moral of the story just make an accurate shift.....just like accurate entries, apexes, and unwinding exits...precision driving is faster driving.

Last edited by Road machine; 02-11-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:45 PM
John A. Marker
CF Senior Member

I was at SM last October. Driving the ZO6 M7. I had just gotten my ZO6 the end of August. My 95 was a six speed and I have had manuals over the years. I would have preferred to have a couple more months of driving the car before SM. I had driven tracks several times in the past couple of years. The comment on 3/4 are correct. My only issue was that I was short shifting 4500 to 5000. On the long straight I was up to 115 and the back straight right after at 95 to 100. I think I would be in the 120-125 range on the long straight if I had just ran up the RPM's higher before shifting to hit the higher speeds. when I compared my speeds to the instructor when he drove, our top ends were about the speed 115. He went thru the corners about 10-15 faster than I was comfortable with.

I am going back in March 11-12th area as a observer. My racing partner bought a 2019 Grand Sport. So I will audit the classes and ride with the instructors. I still expect to learn from their driving. Looking forward to it..
Old 02-14-2019, 11:14 AM
Painrace
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Learn no lift shifting!
Old 02-14-2019, 01:21 PM
MSG C5
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by John A. Marker View Post
I was at SM last October. Driving the ZO6 M7. I had just gotten my ZO6 the end of August. My 95 was a six speed and I have had manuals over the years. I would have preferred to have a couple more months of driving the car before SM. I had driven tracks several times in the past couple of years. The comment on 3/4 are correct. My only issue was that I was short shifting 4500 to 5000. On the long straight I was up to 115 and the back straight right after at 95 to 100. I think I would be in the 120-125 range on the long straight if I had just ran up the RPM's higher before shifting to hit the higher speeds. when I compared my speeds to the instructor when he drove, our top ends were about the speed 115. He went thru the corners about 10-15 faster than I was comfortable with.

I am going back in March 11-12th area as a observer. My racing partner bought a 2019 Grand Sport. So I will audit the classes and ride with the instructors. I still expect to learn from their driving. Looking forward to it..
Thanks. I was reviewing some of the member vids posted and it seems like 3rd gear through most of the corners and then 4th gear on the straights after getting the 3rd gear RPMs up near redline. During street driving, I obviously short shift at lower RPMs just to improve gas mileage, etc. so that's why I'm trying to get a better feel for the track shifts. I saw a few guys downshift to 2nd in the corners, but from what others have posted, that's probably not necessary.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:08 PM
MSG C5
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Painrace View Post
Learn no lift shifting!
Do they encourage this? I know the C7 is engineered for it per Tadge.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:25 PM
Brian Fisher
CF Senior Member

Default Spring Mountain

Just enjoy yourself, it is a great time and you learn a lot. It goes by too fast.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spring Mountain Question for M7 Z06 Owners

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: