C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Dealership oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 07:18 AM
01Defense
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Sk8Man_
My car came with 5 free oil changes. After reading here on the forum of the problems others had I asked a dealer if I could go into the service area to witness the oil change and was told that I could not for liability reasons. I decided then that I would do all my own as free oil changes are a very small cost in comparison to "horror". You can with a bit of shopping get the oil very reasonable on through Amazon. I do not have my own lift and preferred to not use a lift or ramps, so I went to a well known, here in Texas, quick oil change service provider that has the drive-over below-ground oil bays and asked if I could pay rent for one of their oil bays and be allowed to do my own oil changes. Their answer was, "Yes, no problem, but we will have to put one of our Techs with you for safety reasons and he can assist if you have a need." They charge me a total of $35.00, I furnish my own oil, filter, and labor; it has worked out great.
Great idea!!
Old 02-08-2019, 11:03 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I have a lift and do all of my track prep myself and do my own alignments. My free oil changes came to an end a year ago, however, I just let the dealer do the once per year oil change required by GM. It doesn't cost that much and it keeps me in touch with them in case something major happens, I don't have to worry about keeping fading receipts (and those little heat printed sheets from Walmart fade quickly) and I don't have handle the mess of putting the waste oil into containers and storing it until I have time to dump it off with WalMart. On top of that I take my 15 Terrain and my 2003 Tahoe to them for oil changes and periodic maintenance items. The service department sees me as a good Customer and treat me as such.

As far as people who say they know it was done right when they do their own work that is pure arrogance. Every human being makes mistakes and the DIY person has just as good or better chance of screwing up as the mechanic at the dealership. If I screw things up I have to fix the problem. If they screw the same thing up they fix whatever.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 02-08-2019 at 11:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 11:17 AM
MiamiCowboy
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctor Mark
If it was me, I would do it myself. Then again, I have a lift and have changed my own oil for almost 40 years.
I second that as well. I have my own lift too. I actually did the 500 mile change and kept the receipts should the question come up. I considered the dealer doing but the service rep did not know that you changed the oil at 500 miles or that it took 0w-40 ESP Dexos 2. That was enough for me to not risk damage to my car. I decided to eat the free oil changes and have total piece of mind. Torquing that oil filter to 22 ft.lbs. is a little scary.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:21 PM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 190 Likes on 98 Posts

Old 02-08-2019, 12:22 PM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 190 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
I’ve been taking my Z06s exclusively to dealers for the past 15 years without a hickup. With that being said I choose dealers that are recommended by local Corvette clubs and sell a lot of Vettes....anything less and you’re asking for a problem.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:39 AM
Doctor Mark
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 118 Posts

I do not see it as "pure arrogance." At a dealership, time is money and they want to turn the car ASAP to maximize profit. When I do it myself, I am in no rush and frankly enjoy what for me is a hobby. This tends to lead to fewer errors. There is no question that a fully trained tech is far more knowledgable than I am but usually they are not the people doing the basic oil change. In addition, going to a dealer often "kills half a day" and most Chevy dealership waiting areas are not a place I want to spend time as amenities are fairly sparse.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:28 PM
Vegas1500
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 256 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctor Mark
I do not see it as "pure arrogance." At a dealership, time is money and they want to turn the car ASAP to maximize profit. When I do it myself, I am in no rush and frankly enjoy what for me is a hobby. This tends to lead to fewer errors. There is no question that a fully trained tech is far more knowledgable than I am but usually they are not the people doing the basic oil change. In addition, going to a dealer often "kills half a day" and most Chevy dealership waiting areas are not a place I want to spend time as amenities are fairly sparse.
I agree....arrogance has nothing to do with it. I do make mistakes but I won’t tey to cover them up like a dealer would....or shuffle blame. Dealerships don’t have trained techs doing the oil changes, only naive to think so.....
Old 02-09-2019, 08:11 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Many dealers have incorporated pits into service department fot "Quick Libes" They speed up the process and eliminate body damage associated with raising cars with low hanging bodywork. Most maintenance only shops have been using pits for decades.

Quick Reply: Dealership oil changes