C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Purchased Z06 that sat at dealer for 12 months

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 07:18 PM
Spitfire Mk1
Formula 1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Purchased Z06 that sat at dealer for 12 months

Did anyone purchase a brand new C7 that sat at the dealer for over one year? I'm sure the one I'm considering was short started a lot on weekly basis to move within the dealership - never to operating temps. maybe a few short test drives. To me, mechanically this is not good for its longevity bc of premature wear. Yea, its full warranty, but don't want mechanical headaches to save a bit of money. Any of your long term ownership experiences welcomed.
TIA.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:24 PM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm sure it's fine as long as they didn't just start it up and start driving it up to the 4000 rpm range. it may take a few minutes to get it all warmed up to operating temps before you do any hard driving. But I think if you start it up and let it idle for a minute to get the oil runing through the motor. It's okay to drive as long as you keep the RPM down. The tach has a indicator on to show what RPM's to not go over until the car is warmed up. The indicator moves to a higher RPM as the motor gets warmed up until itls no longer there.
The following users liked this post:
Spitfire Mk1 (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 07:33 PM
GS583
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 201 Posts

Be sure to take into consideration that the tires are a year old or more as is the battery. These are things that deteriorate even if they are not in service. I was looking at a 2018 for a time which had been at a dealer for over a year and a half. Also remember there have been updates on the 2019's and the car has lost value due to being a model year older so the price is an issue even though it is still new.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:02 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,990 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by mto
Did anyone purchase a brand new C7 that sat at the dealer for over one year? I'm sure the one I'm considering was short started a lot on weekly basis to move within the dealership - never to operating temps. maybe a few short test drives. To me, mechanically this is not good for its longevity bc of premature wear. Yea, its full warranty, but don't want mechanical headaches to save a bit of money. Any of your long term ownership experiences welcomed.
TIA.
Last May (2018), I bought a 2017 that had been on the dealer showroom floor for over a year in Wisconsin. Low miles, stored only indoors, and turned over regularly. I was skeptical (even reluctant) at first, and went up to see it twice before buying it on the 3rd visit. I drove it from May until mid November and never had any issues. Got an amazing deal.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:15 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,145 Posts

When i bought my Z, the salesman made an error in which color interior trim i wanted. I wanted the adrenaline red interior and he went to get fetch a black interior. He had to move about 7 Z's to get to it. No lie.

He started each one up and moved it and turned it off. ALL of them, i repeat ALL of them had the "low fuel" light illuminating. So that's why he had to shut each car off after moving it a couple of feet. Not to mention as he did the cold start up, he had to move each car quickly so he was blipping the throttle like a mad man because he was in a rush. I didn't think he meant to be rough with the cars, but like i said he was in a rush to get to the car he thought i wanted, and because every car was almost out of gas.

After he did all that and had the car ready for me, i went outside and told him, "this isn't the car i wanted, and there's no gas in it". lol

He laughed and said, "none of these cars have gas in it!! Ahhh rob you're killing me!!! lol"

Come to find out the car i actually wanted was right in front of the dealer, because someone before me had test drove it. I ended up buying it with like 11 miles on the odometer. And the car already had a full tank of gas.

You'd be surprised how slightly "abused" these new cars get. Not only corvettes, but any new car.

But don't even worry, because they all have warranties
Old 02-11-2019, 08:17 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Depends how over the edge you want to be. Start with the engine and how many times the car was started and moved or not even driven. What's the Odometer read? Under 20 miles, I wouldn't sweat it. I'd just tell them they'd have to change the oil before you would take delivery. Believe me, I've done it twice (bought year old or close to it, new cars out of their inventory) and there's no issues with most dealers. Tires, I wouldn't give a care about them unless you live in Minnesota or someplace where the weather is really cold in the winter and the car was left outside all year. Battery....put the Battery Tender on and even though the car was a year old and hardly operated, it should recharge to the top of the scale in 36 hours or so. The only other thing I'd be concerned about is paint work and any damage from weather and the sun, such as water spotting. Just because the dealer has been sitting on it for 12 months or so, I wouldn't be turned off of it, just check it out. I most certainly would expect a sizable discount, though. I got mine at 18.5%+ off of window sticker, brand new, 2 miles on the odometer. Good luck!
Old 02-11-2019, 08:23 PM
Savoy2001
Melting Slicks

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,108 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
When i bought my Z, the salesman made an error in which color interior trim i wanted. I wanted the adrenaline red interior and he went to get fetch a black interior. He had to move about 7 Z's to get to it. No lie.

He started each one up and moved it and turned it off. ALL of them, i repeat ALL of them had the "low fuel" light illuminating. So that's why he had to shut each car off after moving it a couple of feet. Not to mention as he did the cold start up, he had to move each car quickly so he was blipping the throttle like a mad man because he was in a rush. I didn't think he meant to be rough with the cars, but like i said he was in a rush to get to the car he thought i wanted, and because every car was almost out of gas.

After he did all that and had the car ready for me, i went outside and told him, "this isn't the car i wanted, and there's no gas in it". lol

He laughed and said, "none of these cars have gas in it!! Ahhh rob you're killing me!!! lol"

Come to find out the car i actually wanted was right in front of the dealer, because someone before me had test drove it. I ended up buying it with like 11 miles on the odometer. And the car already had a full tank of gas.

You'd be surprised how slightly "abused" these new cars get. Not only corvettes, but any new car.

But don't even worry, because they all have warranties
Oh jeez that's not abuse. These cars are made to handle allot more than some of you give then credit for. Cars have been sitting on dealers lots being moved and barely warmed up etc and sitting with no gas forever. The cars are fine. It's really not a big deal.
The following 2 users liked this post by Savoy2001:
iw172 (02-12-2019), Parcival (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 08:37 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Originally Posted by Savoy2001
Oh jeez that's not abuse. These cars are made to handle allot more than some of you give then credit for. Cars have been sitting on dealers lots being moved and barely warmed up etc and sitting with no gas forever. The cars are fine. It's really not a big deal.
You are so right, Savoy!! These are NOT abused children or pets...they are simply machines, complex as they might be, but still mechanical machines. The daily operations described here are not abuse, they are simply the ins and outs of car dealers.Good post!
Old 02-11-2019, 08:38 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Savoy2001
I know this. I didn't have a problem with it. I just wanted to share my experience when i bought my Z.

But i know a lot of people are **** about their cars, like not starting them up in winter time etc.

So you're right, the cars are fine.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:47 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

their are leftover 2017 vettes sitting on the lot here outside for 3 years.i would not buy one.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:53 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Bought a 2016 Z06 in Oct 2016 that was produced in Oct 2015. Delivery miles were 2. Car was stored indoors with battery disconnected. Battery was charged and tank filled. No issues after 2+ years and 10k mikes. Cup2 will be changed shortly.

With that being said I’d take a hard look at anything that’s been sitting on a lot. I wouldn’t worry about mechanical, but lot cleanings and paint damage.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:54 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,990 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by tzoid9
Depends how over the edge you want to be. Start with the engine and how many times the car was started and moved or not even driven. What's the Odometer read? Under 20 miles, I wouldn't sweat it. I'd just tell them they'd have to change the oil before you would take delivery. Believe me, I've done it twice (bought year old or close to it, new cars out of their inventory) and there's no issues with most dealers. Tires, I wouldn't give a care about them unless you live in Minnesota or someplace where the weather is really cold in the winter and the car was left outside all year. Battery....put the Battery Tender on and even though the car was a year old and hardly operated, it should recharge to the top of the scale in 36 hours or so. The only other thing I'd be concerned about is paint work and any damage from weather and the sun, such as water spotting. Just because the dealer has been sitting on it for 12 months or so, I wouldn't be turned off of it, just check it out. I most certainly would expect a sizable discount, though. I got mine at 18.5%+ off of window sticker, brand new, 2 miles on the odometer. Good luck!
This reminded me. I got similar advice here, and requested a fresh oil change, ALL fluids changed and the battery replaced. The vehicle was stored indoors so I wasn’t worried about the tires. The dealer agreed due to the length of time. With 60 miles on it (it was in a local parade the first Summer) I got just shy of 20% off.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:03 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

When I bought my ZR1 new in 2011, it had sat on the dealer lot for about 9 -10 months....had 18 miles on it.
Had the dealer fully charge the battery and drove it home. That OEM battery lasted 5.5 yrs...

Last edited by Gary '09 C6; 02-11-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:07 PM
trevor90
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

just buy the dam thing, it has warranty as you said. who cares???
Z0HS1CK (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 10:56 PM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

I purchased my 2017 in May 2018 and it spent most of its life sitting out in the dealer lot. I had the paint corrected and coated but have had no issues with the car.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:06 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Purchased my 2017 that had sat a year after a buyer backed out. It sat on the showroom floor so it was perfectly fine.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:11 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

these are cars people just drive them

they have full warrantys,

heck apples could be 1 year old when you buy them

http://mentalfloss.com/article/72884...ry-store-goods

Get notified of new replies

To Purchased Z06 that sat at dealer for 12 months

Old 02-11-2019, 11:47 PM
Widgeon5
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by trevor90
The excessive wear caused by these multiple cold starts and short runs will most likely not manifest itself within the warranty period. It will (I believe) shorten engine life by some unknowable amount much later.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:50 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by trevor90
I agree. And plus correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt the warranty start at purchase date? Not build date?

So you could buy a brand new 2017 this year, warranty starts this year no?
Old 02-12-2019, 10:15 AM
tzoid9
Drifting

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
I agree. And plus correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt the warranty start at purchase date? Not build date?

So you could buy a brand new 2017 this year, warranty starts this year no?
Yes, you are correct. Warranty starts at the delivery date of the first end user.

Quick Reply: Purchased Z06 that sat at dealer for 12 months