Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 Z06 Discussion
Reload this Page >

Purchased Z06 that sat at dealer for 12 months

Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchased Z06 that sat at dealer for 12 months

 
Old 02-11-2019, 08:18 PM
  #1  
mto
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: May 2014
Posts: 26
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Purchased Z06 that sat at dealer for 12 months

Did anyone purchase a brand new C7 that sat at the dealer for over one year? I'm sure the one I'm considering was short started a lot on weekly basis to move within the dealership - never to operating temps. maybe a few short test drives. To me, mechanically this is not good for its longevity bc of premature wear. Yea, its full warranty, but don't want mechanical headaches to save a bit of money. Any of your long term ownership experiences welcomed.
TIA.
mto is online now  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:24 PM
  #2  
JJLAI724
CF Senior Member
 
JJLAI724's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2014
Location: Milpitas CA
Posts: 565
Thanked 102 Times in 69 Posts
Default

I'm sure it's fine as long as they didn't just start it up and start driving it up to the 4000 rpm range. it may take a few minutes to get it all warmed up to operating temps before you do any hard driving. But I think if you start it up and let it idle for a minute to get the oil runing through the motor. It's okay to drive as long as you keep the RPM down. The tach has a indicator on to show what RPM's to not go over until the car is warmed up. The indicator moves to a higher RPM as the motor gets warmed up until itls no longer there.
JJLAI724 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to JJLAI724 For This Useful Post:
mto (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 08:33 PM
  #3  
GS583
CF Senior Member
 
GS583's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Cedar Rapids IA
Posts: 330
Thanked 38 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Be sure to take into consideration that the tires are a year old or more as is the battery. These are things that deteriorate even if they are not in service. I was looking at a 2018 for a time which had been at a dealer for over a year and a half. Also remember there have been updates on the 2019's and the car has lost value due to being a model year older so the price is an issue even though it is still new.
GS583 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to GS583 For This Useful Post:
mto (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 09:02 PM
  #4  
Big Lebowski
CF Senior Member
 
Big Lebowski's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2005
Location: West Burbs of Chicago IL
Posts: 3,335
Thanked 404 Times in 225 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mto View Post
Did anyone purchase a brand new C7 that sat at the dealer for over one year? I'm sure the one I'm considering was short started a lot on weekly basis to move within the dealership - never to operating temps. maybe a few short test drives. To me, mechanically this is not good for its longevity bc of premature wear. Yea, its full warranty, but don't want mechanical headaches to save a bit of money. Any of your long term ownership experiences welcomed.
TIA.
Last May (2018), I bought a 2017 that had been on the dealer showroom floor for over a year in Wisconsin. Low miles, stored only indoors, and turned over regularly. I was skeptical (even reluctant) at first, and went up to see it twice before buying it on the 3rd visit. I drove it from May until mid November and never had any issues. Got an amazing deal.
Big Lebowski is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Lebowski For This Useful Post:
mto (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 09:15 PM
  #5  
RobGZ06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,161
Thanked 267 Times in 222 Posts
Default

When i bought my Z, the salesman made an error in which color interior trim i wanted. I wanted the adrenaline red interior and he went to get fetch a black interior. He had to move about 7 Z's to get to it. No lie.

He started each one up and moved it and turned it off. ALL of them, i repeat ALL of them had the "low fuel" light illuminating. So that's why he had to shut each car off after moving it a couple of feet. Not to mention as he did the cold start up, he had to move each car quickly so he was blipping the throttle like a mad man because he was in a rush. I didn't think he meant to be rough with the cars, but like i said he was in a rush to get to the car he thought i wanted, and because every car was almost out of gas.

After he did all that and had the car ready for me, i went outside and told him, "this isn't the car i wanted, and there's no gas in it". lol

He laughed and said, "none of these cars have gas in it!! Ahhh rob you're killing me!!! lol"

Come to find out the car i actually wanted was right in front of the dealer, because someone before me had test drove it. I ended up buying it with like 11 miles on the odometer. And the car already had a full tank of gas.

You'd be surprised how slightly "abused" these new cars get. Not only corvettes, but any new car.

But don't even worry, because they all have warranties
RobGZ06 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 09:17 PM
  #6  
tzoid9
CF Senior Member
 
tzoid9's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Posts: 890
Thanked 149 Times in 120 Posts
Default

Depends how over the edge you want to be. Start with the engine and how many times the car was started and moved or not even driven. What's the Odometer read? Under 20 miles, I wouldn't sweat it. I'd just tell them they'd have to change the oil before you would take delivery. Believe me, I've done it twice (bought year old or close to it, new cars out of their inventory) and there's no issues with most dealers. Tires, I wouldn't give a care about them unless you live in Minnesota or someplace where the weather is really cold in the winter and the car was left outside all year. Battery....put the Battery Tender on and even though the car was a year old and hardly operated, it should recharge to the top of the scale in 36 hours or so. The only other thing I'd be concerned about is paint work and any damage from weather and the sun, such as water spotting. Just because the dealer has been sitting on it for 12 months or so, I wouldn't be turned off of it, just check it out. I most certainly would expect a sizable discount, though. I got mine at 18.5%+ off of window sticker, brand new, 2 miles on the odometer. Good luck!
tzoid9 is online now  
Old 02-11-2019, 09:23 PM
  #7  
Savoy2001
CF Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Posts: 67
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RobGZ06 View Post
When i bought my Z, the salesman made an error in which color interior trim i wanted. I wanted the adrenaline red interior and he went to get fetch a black interior. He had to move about 7 Z's to get to it. No lie.

He started each one up and moved it and turned it off. ALL of them, i repeat ALL of them had the "low fuel" light illuminating. So that's why he had to shut each car off after moving it a couple of feet. Not to mention as he did the cold start up, he had to move each car quickly so he was blipping the throttle like a mad man because he was in a rush. I didn't think he meant to be rough with the cars, but like i said he was in a rush to get to the car he thought i wanted, and because every car was almost out of gas.

After he did all that and had the car ready for me, i went outside and told him, "this isn't the car i wanted, and there's no gas in it". lol

He laughed and said, "none of these cars have gas in it!! Ahhh rob you're killing me!!! lol"

Come to find out the car i actually wanted was right in front of the dealer, because someone before me had test drove it. I ended up buying it with like 11 miles on the odometer. And the car already had a full tank of gas.

You'd be surprised how slightly "abused" these new cars get. Not only corvettes, but any new car.

But don't even worry, because they all have warranties
Oh jeez that's not abuse. These cars are made to handle allot more than some of you give then credit for. Cars have been sitting on dealers lots being moved and barely warmed up etc and sitting with no gas forever. The cars are fine. It's really not a big deal.
Savoy2001 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Savoy2001 For This Useful Post:
iw172 (02-12-2019), Parcival (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 09:37 PM
  #8  
tzoid9
CF Senior Member
 
tzoid9's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Posts: 890
Thanked 149 Times in 120 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Savoy2001 View Post
Oh jeez that's not abuse. These cars are made to handle allot more than some of you give then credit for. Cars have been sitting on dealers lots being moved and barely warmed up etc and sitting with no gas forever. The cars are fine. It's really not a big deal.
You are so right, Savoy!! These are NOT abused children or pets...they are simply machines, complex as they might be, but still mechanical machines. The daily operations described here are not abuse, they are simply the ins and outs of car dealers.Good post!
tzoid9 is online now  
Old 02-11-2019, 09:38 PM
  #9  
RobGZ06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,161
Thanked 267 Times in 222 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Savoy2001 View Post
Oh jeez that's not abuse. These cars are made to handle allot more than some of you give then credit for. Cars have been sitting on dealers lots being moved and barely warmed up etc and sitting with no gas forever. The cars are fine. It's really not a big deal.
I know this. I didn't have a problem with it. I just wanted to share my experience when i bought my Z.

But i know a lot of people are **** about their cars, like not starting them up in winter time etc.

So you're right, the cars are fine.
RobGZ06 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 09:47 PM
  #10  
lordofwar
CF Senior Member
 
lordofwar's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,451
Thanked 211 Times in 165 Posts
Default

their are leftover 2017 vettes sitting on the lot here outside for 3 years.i would not buy one.
lordofwar is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:53 PM
  #11  
TXshaggy
CF Senior Member
 
TXshaggy's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2013
Location: Texas Hill Country Texas
Posts: 777
Thanks: 0
Thanked 251 Times in 165 Posts
Default

Bought a 2016 Z06 in Oct 2016 that was produced in Oct 2015. Delivery miles were 2. Car was stored indoors with battery disconnected. Battery was charged and tank filled. No issues after 2+ years and 10k mikes. Cup2 will be changed shortly.

With that being said I’d take a hard look at anything that’s been sitting on a lot. I wouldn’t worry about mechanical, but lot cleanings and paint damage.
TXshaggy is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:54 PM
  #12  
Big Lebowski
CF Senior Member
 
Big Lebowski's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2005
Location: West Burbs of Chicago IL
Posts: 3,335
Thanked 404 Times in 225 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tzoid9 View Post
Depends how over the edge you want to be. Start with the engine and how many times the car was started and moved or not even driven. What's the Odometer read? Under 20 miles, I wouldn't sweat it. I'd just tell them they'd have to change the oil before you would take delivery. Believe me, I've done it twice (bought year old or close to it, new cars out of their inventory) and there's no issues with most dealers. Tires, I wouldn't give a care about them unless you live in Minnesota or someplace where the weather is really cold in the winter and the car was left outside all year. Battery....put the Battery Tender on and even though the car was a year old and hardly operated, it should recharge to the top of the scale in 36 hours or so. The only other thing I'd be concerned about is paint work and any damage from weather and the sun, such as water spotting. Just because the dealer has been sitting on it for 12 months or so, I wouldn't be turned off of it, just check it out. I most certainly would expect a sizable discount, though. I got mine at 18.5%+ off of window sticker, brand new, 2 miles on the odometer. Good luck!
This reminded me. I got similar advice here, and requested a fresh oil change, ALL fluids changed and the battery replaced. The vehicle was stored indoors so I wasn’t worried about the tires. The dealer agreed due to the length of time. With 60 miles on it (it was in a local parade the first Summer) I got just shy of 20% off.
Big Lebowski is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:03 PM
  #13  
Gary '09 C6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Gary '09 C6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2010
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 12,374
Thanked 353 Times in 311 Posts
Default

When I bought my ZR1 new in 2011, it had sat on the dealer lot for about 9 -10 months....had 18 miles on it.
Had the dealer fully charge the battery and drove it home. That OEM battery lasted 5.5 yrs...

Last edited by Gary '09 C6; 02-11-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Gary '09 C6 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:07 PM
  #14  
trevor90
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Location: South FL
Posts: 455
Thanked 83 Times in 64 Posts
Default

just buy the dam thing, it has warranty as you said. who cares???
trevor90 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to trevor90 For This Useful Post:
RobGZ06 (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 11:56 PM
  #15  
RegnaR
CF Senior Member
 
RegnaR's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 563
Thanked 46 Times in 43 Posts
Default

I purchased my 2017 in May 2018 and it spent most of its life sitting out in the dealer lot. I had the paint corrected and coated but have had no issues with the car.
RegnaR is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 12:06 AM
  #16  
cyi1
CF Senior Member
 
cyi1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2009
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 1,733
Thanked 176 Times in 141 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist
Default

Purchased my 2017 that had sat a year after a buyer backed out. It sat on the showroom floor so it was perfectly fine.
cyi1 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 12:11 AM
  #17  
dmaxx3500
CF Senior Member
 
dmaxx3500's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2008
Location: chicago
Posts: 24,050
Thanked 433 Times in 342 Posts
Default

these are cars people just drive them

they have full warrantys,


heck apples could be 1 year old when you buy them


http://mentalfloss.com/article/72884...ry-store-goods
dmaxx3500 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 12:47 AM
  #18  
Widgeon5
CF Senior Member
 
Widgeon5's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: Bloomington Indiana
Posts: 289
Thanked 76 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by trevor90 View Post
just buy the dam thing, it has warranty as you said. who cares???
The excessive wear caused by these multiple cold starts and short runs will most likely not manifest itself within the warranty period. It will (I believe) shorten engine life by some unknowable amount much later.
Widgeon5 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 10:50 AM
  #19  
RobGZ06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,161
Thanked 267 Times in 222 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by trevor90 View Post
just buy the dam thing, it has warranty as you said. who cares???
I agree. And plus correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt the warranty start at purchase date? Not build date?

So you could buy a brand new 2017 this year, warranty starts this year no?
RobGZ06 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 11:15 AM
  #20  
tzoid9
CF Senior Member
 
tzoid9's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Posts: 890
Thanked 149 Times in 120 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RobGZ06 View Post
I agree. And plus correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt the warranty start at purchase date? Not build date?

So you could buy a brand new 2017 this year, warranty starts this year no?
Yes, you are correct. Warranty starts at the delivery date of the first end user.
tzoid9 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Purchased Z06 that sat at dealer for 12 months


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: