C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Overrev

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 09:00 AM
BDASSZO6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree with dar02081961. Thats why GM has mechanisms in place to prevent damage. The fuel shut off occurs well before a potential catastrophic event can happen. The LT4 is bullet proof. Unless you hear something, just drive the car!
The following users liked this post:
timmyZ06 (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 09:05 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Its not fun but neither is blowing a motor. I had a missed shift in my C6Z at Road Atlanta and after talking to Jason I parked the car and replaced the springs myself.
Ls7 is a whole is a whole different story! When mine happened it didnt really had time to overreved too far, but it happened few times! I was listening for weirds noises . Maybe i got lucky, but after the LDT was sure about no damages. Once gain, its super easy to go in 1st instead of 3rd, i dont get it!!
Old 02-13-2019, 09:06 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

My buddy's supra had GSC2 cams on it, when he did the same, bent all the valves right way!!
Old 02-13-2019, 09:06 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by BDASSZO6
Agree with dar02081961. Thats why GM has mechanisms in place to prevent damage. The fuel shut off occurs well before a potential catastrophic event can happen. The LT4 is bullet proof. Unless you hear something, just drive the car!
There is no protection for a mechanical over rev due to a missed shift. With that being said this sounds like a minor excursion with no immediate symtons so I’d just continue to drive and be more careful.

Lucky this isn’t a Porsche which logs every overrev and would result in diminished value on sale.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:15 AM
BDASSZO6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Fuel shut off is not a protective mechanism?
Old 02-13-2019, 10:00 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Fuel shut off is not a protective mechanism?
While fuel shut off will occur, the mechanical rotating drivetrain will exceed redline. If the overrev is significant it may lead to valve float and piston to valve impact.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:41 AM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Definitely sell it NOW, and really, get an automatic, much quicker and no missed shifts...........
Old 02-13-2019, 10:50 AM
SGT_G
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by vdavenp802
Definitely sell it NOW, and really, get an automatic, much quicker and no missed shifts...........
Lol if I sell it, which I won't, I'll defect to a viper.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:57 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Without data to determine how high the motor was spun I would trust the guy that actually builds race motors for a living (Jason).
Originally Posted by timmyZ06
Maybe not everyone dont care about swapping valve springs for fun! Do you really think it will fail few thousands miles later??!!
Jason has far more experience than a lot of people on the forum. I do know that an Over Rev that goes into the range that Jason mentioned can damage/weaken the valve springs and eventually lead to a broken valve spring which may then lead to a swallowed valve.

Bill
Old 02-13-2019, 11:16 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I'll go back to my response and use of the word "probably". "Probably" and the cost of replacing an engine don't go together for me. I would rather replace valve springs than risk it. Like I said in my instance of over-rev last year, the valve springs were within spec still. I wouldn't want to worry about it for future track days though.

FYI - even 9000rpm over-revs don't typically fail engines immediately. They can fatigue valve springs which can lead to failure later. That's why you hear people say "I was just driving down the highway and the valve spring broke", failing to mention the mechanical over-rev on the track day the weekend before. We have had 9000rpm over-revs in World Challenge engines and finished the race. When it's a sprint race and GM cared more about winning than hurting an engine they just went for it. Of course, valve springs got changed after the race if not a whole rebuild.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 02-13-2019, 11:16 AM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Technically what folks are saying is correct and what can happen during a "over rev".
A mechanical 'over rev" is a physical condition based on the mechanical capabilities of the valve train, the bottom end rods and rod bearings.
And all of the things you mention can occur during a "mechanical over rev".
Generally any damage done during a mechanical "over rev" will show itself within 10-20 thousand miles probably sooner. (just a swag here to make a point later).

However in this case the OP states the information available to him indicates the engine didn't exceed 6900 rpm or so.
While we all know the rev limiter on the LT4 is electronically set at 6600 rpm from the factory, we also know 6900 rpm is not really an "over rev" for an LT4 in mechanical terms.
There are a few folks in the Z06 community pushing these LT4s up to 7000 rpm without any rev related issues.
Not going to get into why they feel safe doing so but there is some solid logic behind it.

My point is the OP should have many thousands of miles of warranty left on the engine/car.
If he actually had a "mechanical over rev" (which the data suggest he didn’t) the damaged components have plenty of time to fail while he is still covered by the warranty.

I agree if you were racing this engine without the factory rev limiter and had unlimited available resources, a valve spring and lifter replacement would be in order.
But for us normal folks based on the information presented, chances are the OP can drive the car long enough under warranty to determine if he damaged the engine.

I am betting he will be just fine.

Last edited by dar02081961; 02-13-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:26 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

^^^^I wasn’t responding to you, but rather than the poster that said these motors have rev limiting protection and to not worry.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:40 AM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Sorry, didn't mean for it to sound as if I singled you out.
Corrected.

My comments are trying to make the point the OP states in the original post the max rpm he hit was 6900 rpm.
6900 rpm is not a " mechanical over rev" for an LT4.

Last edited by dar02081961; 02-13-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:42 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by dar02081961
Technically what folks are saying is correct and what can happen during a "over rev".
A mechanical 'over rev" is a physical condition based on the mechanical capabilities of the valve train, the bottom end rods and rod bearings.
And all of the things you mention can occur during a "mechanical over rev".
Generally any damage done during a mechanical "over rev" will show itself within 10-20 thousand miles probably sooner. (just a swag here to make a point later).

However in this case the OP states the information available to him indicates the engine didn't exceed 6900 rpm or so.
While we all know the rev limiter on the LT4 is electronically set at 6600 rpm from the factory, we also know 6900 rpm is not really an "over rev" for an LT4 in mechanical terms.
There are a few folks in the Z06 community pushing these LT4s up to 7000 rpm without any rev related issues.
Not going to get into why they feel safe doing so but there is some solid logic behind it.

My point is the OP should have many thousands of miles of warranty left on the engine/car.
If he actually had a "mechanical over rev" (which the data suggest he didn’t) the damaged components have plenty of time to fail while he is still covered by the warranty.

I agree if you were racing this engine without the factory rev limiter and had unlimited available resources, a valve spring and lifter replacement would be in order.
But for us normal folks based on the information presented, chances are the OP can drive the car long enough under warranty to determine if he damaged the engine.

I am betting he will be just fine.
If it was truly 6900rpm you're right it will be fine. I was basing my engine speed calculation on 80mph in 1st gear. We're not really sure whether it actually hit that without data.
dar02081961 (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 11:45 AM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

Happened to me at least 5 times!! For the life of me i cant understand why the 1st is so easy to shift compared to the 3rd!! Never happened to me before the C7z!!!
So anyway it ran fine each time afterward, so i wouldnt worry, because damage would be right away!! Changing valve springs is useless , unless it sounds like a broken spring. Mine dynoed 698whp and 757wtq 6 months after that and still run strong!!!

btw a leak down test was performed also 6 months afterward, and was perfect!! A broken spring would have a caused a serious leak!!
This is why I didn't go for the M7. I loved the M6 in my 2008 Z06.......why did they get rid of it???

There is no protection for a mechanical over-rev so slow down your shifts.....if in doubt push the clutch in and let the stick go to natural neutral, which falls between 3rd and 4th. then you know where you are. Unless you are racing for pink slips the insurance this move will give you is worth it to save your motor. I would agree that there should not be any motor damage if ti still runs fine, but if you do this into a curve you will lock up and crash.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:49 AM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Fuel cut-off will only stop you from over-revving your car while accelerating in one gear. A mechanical over-rev condition happens when downshifting. In this case, as soon as the clutch is engaged the engine will rev up on its own to match the speed it was at in the previous gear. So if you were doing 90mph in 2nd gear and immediately shifted into first the engine will rev up to wherever it needs to be to match 90mph in 1st gear. There is nothing that can prevent this once it is initiated. It can also happen so fast that the tach doesn't have a chance to register just how high it went right away.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:38 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Happened to me at least 5 times!! For the life of me i cant understand why the 1st is so easy to shift compared to the 3rd!! Never happened to me before the C7z!!!!
Stop manhandling the M7. 3/4 is the easiest shift since the M7 always returns to this gate on its own...gentle pressure left/right gets you into 1/2 or 5/6. Hard pressure right and up for 7th. Don’t grab the shifter..use the palm of your hand and the gate springs to guide you.
timmyZ06 (02-13-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Overrev

Old 02-13-2019, 01:59 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
Fuel cut-off will only stop you from over-revving your car while accelerating in one gear. A mechanical over-rev condition happens when downshifting. In this case, as soon as the clutch is engaged the engine will rev up on its own to match the speed it was at in the previous gear. So if you were doing 90mph in 2nd gear and immediately shifted into first the engine will rev up to wherever it needs to be to match 90mph in 1st gear. There is nothing that can prevent this once it is initiated. It can also happen so fast that the tach doesn't have a chance to register just how high it went right away.
exactly -- It certainly takes some life out of the engine with a huge jolt to all the internals - 2nd gear at full on is 88-to 92 mph. if the OP was ***** out in 2nd and powershifted to 1st meaning to grab third -Something had to have gnashed on the inside.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:06 PM
Dwyer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
exactly -- It certainly takes some life out of the engine with a huge jolt to all the internals - 2nd gear at full on is 88-to 92 mph. if the OP was ***** out in 2nd and powershifted to 1st meaning to grab third -Something had to have gnashed on the inside.
So in your opinion damage was done to all the internals (because something gnashed on the inside) and Katech is wrong?

What qualifications do you possess to give that assessment to the OP or anybody for that matter?
Lavender (02-15-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 03:51 PM
SGT_G
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Honestly I must not have fully releases the clutch because the tracer for the highest point you rev was at the 68-6900 point. If I was really in the 8k range, that tach should've shot hard to the right. Additionally, like I said, I wasn't redlining 2nd but rather at the higher end of it.

Quick Reply: Overrev