C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Overrev

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 04:41 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by SGT_G
Honestly I must not have fully releases the clutch because the tracer for the highest point you rev was at the 68-6900 point. If I was really in the 8k range, that tach should've shot hard to the right. Additionally, like I said, I wasn't redlining 2nd but rather at the higher end of it.
Yea, it seams many believe the tachometer has some mysterious reason to not tell the truth.
It goes to 7500 rpm. It stopped at 6900 rpm because that's about where the rpm maxed out.

If it went to 8 or 9k rpm the tach border would have maxed at 7500 rpm.
There is no evidence to suggest if it went to 8k it wouldn't have registered at least 7500 rpm.
In fact data logging suggest the Tach reads faster (samples faster) than the average data logger.

The tach signal operates at several thousand hertz therefore a 8k rpm spike regardless how brief will peg the tach marker at 7500 rpm.

Last edited by dar02081961; 02-13-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:45 PM
Dwyer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly I must not have fully releases the clutch because the tracer for the highest point you rev was at the 68-6900 point. If I was really in the 8k range, that tach should've shot hard to the right. Additionally, like I said, I wasn't redlining 2nd but rather at the higher end of it.
So you don't want to take Mr. Gismo's advice and sell a car he believes is mechanical damaged without revealing it to the purchaser?

Smart move!
Old 02-13-2019, 04:58 PM
SGT_G
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwyer
So you don't want to take Mr. Gismo's advice and sell a car he believes is mechanical damaged without revealing it to the purchaser?

Smart move!
It's more so I'd rather keep the car and there doesnt appear to be any immediate damage. Also, selling like that would be pretty messed up.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:06 PM
Dwyer
Intermediate

It's more so I'd rather keep the car and there doesnt appear to be any immediate damage. Also, selling like that would be pretty messed up.
I agree on all points made. Maybe Mr. Gismo can explain why he would sell a car believed to be mechanical damaged without revealing it to the purchaser?

Quoted below before he can deny saying it.

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
sell it fast. I think this is what most of the ls7 owners do. Then the car runs fine for a while. They forget about the mechanical over rev that occurred then it drops a valve

Last edited by Dwyer; 02-13-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:17 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

I agree on all points made. Maybe Mr. Gismo can explain why he would sell a car believed to be mechanical damaged without revealing it to the purchaser?

Quoted below before he can deny saying it.
i don’t abuse my cars and wouldn’t powershift 1st gear meaning to go to 3rd. I wouldn’t powershift the car period. So I wouldn’t have that issue of my conscience to deal with. I wouldn’t sell anything that was less then perfect. My goal is to leave things or pass them on better then I found them.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 02-13-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:24 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

OP, i wouldnt worry, because in over rev case, damages are immediate ! Sure changing valve springs could not hurt, but why!!?? Usually. springs will break fair and square! The odd of having a micro failure in a spring which will lead to a catastrophic motor failure isnt impossible, but unlikely! If i was racing like Jason does, i would change the springs, hell i would take both heads of to inspect them!
Old 02-13-2019, 05:24 PM
Dwyer
Intermediate

i don’t abuse my cars and wouldn’t powershift 1st gear meaning to go to 3rd. I wouldn’t powershift the car period. So I wouldn’t have that issue of my conscience to deal with. I wouldn’t sell anything that was less then perfect.
Nothing you just posted has anything to do with the OP which you decided to hijack.

Gismo (the troll) vs Katech, hmmm whom should I believe?

Last edited by Dwyer; 02-13-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:41 PM
SGT_G
Pro

i don’t abuse my cars and wouldn’t powershift 1st gear meaning to go to 3rd. I wouldn’t powershift the car period. So I wouldn’t have that issue of my conscience to deal with. I wouldn’t sell anything that was less then perfect. My goal is to leave things or pass them on better then I found them.
Cool story bro, way to be super condescending. I'm sure you've never made mistakes before
Old 02-13-2019, 06:15 PM
Dwyer
Intermediate

Cool story bro, way to be super condescending. I'm sure you've never made mistakes before

As pointed out by another member, Mr. Gismo is a clown plus my claim a troll.

Clown Troll vs Katech, I know which one I'm believing.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:02 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
OP, i wouldnt worry, because in over rev case, damages are immediate ! Sure changing valve springs could not hurt, but why!!? Usually. springs will break fair and square!
This isn't necessarily true. Often, an over rev will cause a valvespring to lose tension causing valve float and loss of performance. In extreme cases, valve to piston contact can occur. In drag racing, springs are sometimes replaced after only a few runs depending on spring pressure and lift.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:39 PM
jlbjr
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

TimmyZO6,

What did you mean by the LT4 cam is not interference? Thanks
Old 02-13-2019, 09:47 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

So in your opinion damage was done to all the internals (because something gnashed on the inside) and Katech is wrong?

What qualifications do you possess to give that assessment to the OP or anybody for that matter?
i read Katechs threads so that makes me qualified by reading. Maybe Katech can back their claim that things didn’t get jolted and gnashed with a 10 year 100k warranty to the OP.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:56 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 640 Likes on 376 Posts

i think of the c7z more like the Edsel of Corvettes.
Then why do you keep it?
Old 02-13-2019, 09:59 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Nothing you just posted has anything to do with the OP which you decided to hijack.

Gismo (the troll) vs Katech, hmmm whom should I believe?
the op has 3 choices :
1. Drive it and forget about. Car may still be under warranty.
2. Have a professional builder pull the engine
apart and check for damage
3. Sell it or trade with the disclaimer he power shifted 1st at near the top of second meaning to hit third.

If none of these are acceptable , he can continue to fret about it with all us arm chair tech experts telling him how it’s all going to be ok or Potentially not ok.

what would you do with all your smartness and expertise if you were in the OP’s situation?

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 02-13-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:07 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 640 Likes on 376 Posts

Gizmo is one strange dude....
Old 02-13-2019, 10:11 PM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by jlbjr
TimmyZO6,

What did you mean by the LT4 cam is not interference? Thanks
Non interference means even at full valve lift the piston top will not contact the open valve. I have no idea if an LT 4 is this type of engine. This type of engine design is useful so that a valve train train drive failure like breaking a belt or chain does not destroy parts of the engine. It is usually difficult to obtain in a high compression, high valve lift design.
The following users liked this post:
timmyZ06 (02-15-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 10:34 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

The LT4 is an interference design, meaning at full valve lift the valve enters the space in which the piston travels. In an extreme overrev the valve can float open and contact the piston...otherwise known as a money shift.

Get notified of new replies

To Overrev

Old 02-13-2019, 11:38 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by ronsc1985
Non interference means even at full valve lift the piston top will not contact the open valve. I have no idea if an LT 4 is this type of engine. This type of engine design is useful so that a valve train train drive failure like breaking a belt or chain does not destroy parts of the engine. It is usually difficult to obtain in a high compression, high valve lift design.
By the technical definition the LT4 is an interference engine.

However for the purposes of the OPs question unless the timing chain or a valve spring breaks, a 223 degree cam at .551 lift with flat top pistons and stock heads on a stock LT4 will not allow the valves to hit the pistons.

But to address the OP's original concern lets say for whatever reason the valves did hit the pistons.
This would be a mechanical catastrophe and as such would be immediately apparent.

So this is not a concern in the Op's case.
The following users liked this post:
timmyZ06 (02-15-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 04:09 PM
Dwyer
Intermediate

the op has 3 choices :
1. Drive it and forget about. Car may still be under warranty.
2. Have a professional builder pull the engine
apart and check for damage
3. Sell it or trade with the disclaimer he power shifted 1st at near the top of second meaning to hit third.

If none of these are acceptable , he can continue to fret about it with all us arm chair tech experts telling him how it’s all going to be ok or Potentially not ok.

what would you do with all your smartness and expertise if you were in the OP’s situation?
I would continue to drive it and sleep like a baby at night unless it had a bunch of track miles. If it was a track rat, I would replace the valve springs at my convenience and continue to sleep like a baby at night.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:37 PM
SGT_G
Pro

I would continue to drive it and sleep like a baby at night unless it had a bunch of track miles. If it was a track rat, I would replace the valve springs at my convenience and continue to sleep like a baby at night.
It has 8000 miles and I haven't taken it to the track yet

Quick Reply: Overrev