C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Overrev

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 05:14 PM
Dwyer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SGT_G
It has 8000 miles and I haven't taken it to the track yet
Enjoy your car and sleep well at night would be my advice.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:47 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwyer
I would continue to drive it and sleep like a baby
up crying every 45 minutes , pissing the bed and crapping your diapers?

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 02-14-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:12 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 639 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
What is wrong with you?
Old 02-14-2019, 10:54 PM
SGT_G
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Your troll game needs work lol.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:55 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Your troll game needs work lol.
your car will be fine — don’t worry. The guys here in this thread are helping you solve a corvette first world problems.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:13 AM
SGT_G
Pro

your car will be fine — don’t worry. The guys here in this thread are helping you solve a corvette first world problems.
I mean I've been running it pretty hard these last few days with no change but only time will tell lol.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:37 AM
BDASSZO6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Right?? Lol........
Old 02-15-2019, 08:28 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

The logging frequency in the PDR for RPM data is 83.33 Hz. I have definitely had issues with the tach and shift lights lagging when accelerating in lower gears and hitting the hard limiter before the first blue light shows up on the HUD so I don't know how much I trust what you were able to see on the tach and that is why I would not assume you only spun it to 6900 RPM. I have missed the 4-5 shift on the track and hit 3rd and the data showed only about 6800 RPM but those are different ratios and I typically short shift in to 5th because I have to shift before a bend on the straight.

I'll offer one more anecdote but unfortunately I can't find the thread. Several years ago forum member JD blew a built LS7 on track. Jason went back to a prior video he had posted that showed where he zinged the motor on an early downshift going in to a corner. The motor continued to run fine for a while even on track. I don't agree that the LS7 and LT4 are that different in this regard, fatiguing the metal in a valve spring by overstressing it is the same in both cases. I mentioned this previously but that is why when I had a mechanical overrev in my own car I took a few evenings to pull the valve covers and replace the valve springs.

If you don't plan to track it and have a warranty go ahead and drive it. If you're going to track it I'd do everyone out there with you a favor and replace the valve springs. A buddy just totaled a brand new 991 GT3 Cup car at the track because another guy who knew he had a weak motor went anyway and blew his motor on track and oiled it down. My buddy was a passenger once he hit the oil and hit the wall so hard the motor came out of the back of the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
NSC5 (02-15-2019), timmyZ06 (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 08:53 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

I dont disagree with what you are saying Poor-sha, but i think it unlikely. while being absolutely possible, i still think damages would ive been right away. Metal fatigue in valve springs is unlikely from 1 '' small'' overrev, not talking about a full blast at 9000RPM!! Of course there is no way to be 100% sure without opening it up, if it was mine i wouldnt, but that is OP decision!

Last edited by timmyZ06; 02-15-2019 at 08:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Poor-sha (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 09:40 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Great advice from Poor-sha, replacing the springs is very cheap insurance against what could easily happen from over-stressed springs.

Ignoring what happened and hoping for the best reminds me of a line in a Stephen King novel where the character "treated" his blood in the urine issue by peeing in the dark.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:30 AM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Does the Corvette ECU log over-revs? I know from past experience a majority of performance brands (BMW, Porsche, Mazda, Subaru...etc) logs mechanical over-revs and will deny warranty claims related to motor damage (valve train, crank bearing...etc). I'd be surprised if the mechanical over-rev wasn't stored in the ECU.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:48 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
The logging frequency in the PDR for RPM data is 83.33 Hz. I have definitely had issues with the tach and shift lights lagging when accelerating in lower gears and hitting the hard limiter before the first blue light shows up on the HUD so I don't know how much I trust what you were able to see on the tach and that is why I would not assume you only spun it to 6900 RPM. I have missed the 4-5 shift on the track and hit 3rd and the data showed only about 6800 RPM but those are different ratios and I typically short shift in to 5th because I have to shift before a bend on the straight.

I'll offer one more anecdote but unfortunately I can't find the thread. Several years ago forum member JD blew a built LS7 on track. Jason went back to a prior video he had posted that showed where he zinged the motor on an early downshift going in to a corner. The motor continued to run fine for a while even on track. I don't agree that the LS7 and LT4 are that different in this regard, fatiguing the metal in a valve spring by overstressing it is the same in both cases. I mentioned this previously but that is why when I had a mechanical overrev in my own car I took a few evenings to pull the valve covers and replace the valve springs.

If you don't plan to track it and have a warranty go ahead and drive it. If you're going to track it I'd do everyone out there with you a favor and replace the valve springs. A buddy just totaled a brand new 991 GT3 Cup car at the track because another guy who knew he had a weak motor went anyway and blew his motor on track and oiled it down. My buddy was a passenger once he hit the oil and hit the wall so hard the motor came out of the back of the car.
The tachometer reads pretty close to actual RPM.

We shouldn't confuse the sampling rate of the PDR or any scanning devise with the broadcast rate to the tachometer.

Information provided to the PDR or a scanner is considered "polling data".
Polling data is by nature latent data because it has to be requested from the original source and then provided to the requesting source.
This process provides snap shots of past events. And it takes approximately twice the bandwidth to display.

The data presented to the tachometer display is from what is considered "broadcast data".
Broadcast data rates are not nearly as "latent" as "polling data" rates. They are a live direct feed from the source as it happens.
An analogy between the two would be the difference between siphoning water through a hose and getting water full blast from a spigot.

Couple of points I am making here.

1. Even at 83hz (83 times per second) a PDR RPM event would have to last less than half that time in order not be recorded at all.
This is because in order to miss an "over rev" and display some lessor rpm the rev's have to both climb to a peak rpm AND subside from that peak RPM in less than 1/83rd of a second.

In layman's terms the event would have to happen in less than 1/83rd of a second and be missed twice within that time frame. (Once on the way up to max rpm and once on the way down from max rpm). This simply aint going to happen.

2. One above was the PDR which uses "polling data".
The tachometer in the car with the "high rev marker" that was left at 6900 rpm is fed with broadcast data which should have sampling rates much faster than the PDR polling rate of 83hz.
This makes it even less likely an "over rev" event will be displayed as some lessor RPM.

Regardless of all the above, I don’t believe an engine can go from 6900rpm to let's say a conservative 7500rpm and back down to 6900rpm in 1/83rd of a second.

This is why I say if the OP's tach marker maxed out at 6900rpm, that's about what the max rpm was.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:17 PM
JayhawkCPA
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 96 Posts

So I messed up a bit and threw 1st instead of 3rd at the higher end of 2nd. Maybe like 75-80. Felt the higher than normal rev and the fuel cut off hitting immediately which dropped my speed with a quickness. I also kicked the clutch into neutral. The afterimage of the rev limiter showed 6800-6900. No lights or wired sounds just yet, thoughts?
They call that the "money shift". If it runs fine, you are probably fine! I do like the idea of changing the valve springs, though
Old 02-15-2019, 03:46 PM
ZERRY 316
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

So I messed up a bit and threw 1st instead of 3rd at the higher end of 2nd. Maybe like 75-80. Felt the higher than normal rev and the fuel cut off hitting immediately which dropped my speed with a quickness. I also kicked the clutch into neutral. The afterimage of the rev limiter showed 6800-6900. No lights or wired sounds just yet, thoughts?
" kicked the clutch into neutral "?
Old 02-15-2019, 03:52 PM
SGT_G
Pro

Originally Posted by ZERRY 316
" kicked the clutch into neutral "?
Kicked, pushed, doesn't matter lol.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:18 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Kicked, pushed, doesn't matter lol.
If the gear selector is in first, it is still in first if the clutch is depressed. The clutch is just not engaged. You have to move the gear lever to be in neutral.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:24 PM
SGT_G
Pro

Originally Posted by 383vett
If the gear selector is in first, it is still in first if the clutch is depressed. The clutch is just not engaged. You have to move the gear lever to be in neutral.
That's literally not true technically. As soon as that clutch is pushed in, the transmission un-couples from engine engagement. The only thing is the car will say first fear but you're not actually in it until you engage the clutch.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:33 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
What is wrong with you?
hey Felisha get a sense of humor. Now bye bye 👋 - Felisha

i see this thread is still going. 😝

Quick Reply: Overrev