C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z06 exhaust settings

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 05:05 PM
tomsobien
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 Z06 exhaust settings

With the selector in sport mode for the exhaust tuning, when I get to a cruise speed, the exhaust goes quiet, same sound as Tour mode. Chevrolet is trying to say this is normal, but it wasn't normal for the first 3 months I owned the car. Looking for verification that I am not crazy, well at least not about this. Can other Z06 owners tell me if the sound at speedis the same sound as TOUR mode when you have it set to Sport.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:49 PM
Oskee
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 81 Posts

No you are not crazy My 2015 Z06 and my currant 2017 Z06 does exactly what yours does. When set to sport or track mode it goes quiet cruising down the hi-way .
Old 02-15-2019, 06:54 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 276 Posts

Yes mine works the same way. Quiets at cruise. I think its great!
Old 02-15-2019, 07:01 PM
tomsobien
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it the same sound as Tour mode, or is there a difference?
Old 02-15-2019, 08:09 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Eco/Weather - The valves stay shut all the time
Tour - keeps the valves shut at all times unless you are hammering on it
Sport - keeps the valve open at idle and aggressive driving, but shuts them at steady state cruise
Track - Keeps them open all the time
The following users liked this post:
tomsobien (02-16-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 08:21 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by atljar
Eco/Weather - The valves stay shut all the time
Tour - keeps the valves shut at all times unless you are hammering on it
Sport - keeps the valve open at idle and aggressive driving, but shuts them at steady state cruise
When I hammer on it while eco/weather for the active handling setting on my c7z — the baffles open.

there is also a driving mode selection for exhaust setting the options are stealth, tour , sport and track.

Regardless of what active handling mode your in or exhaust setting your in if you hammer on it and the car is getting traction the exhaust flap/baffles always open full on

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 02-15-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:25 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
When I hammer in it while eco/weather on my c7z — the baffles open.
Interesting. I literally never use the mode, so my experience is nil. I was paraphrasing the GM service manual.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:38 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Interesting. I literally never use the mode, so my experience is nil. I was paraphrasing the GM service manual.
there is active handling the round **** on the console which has eco, wet , tour, sport and track ( then in track you have 5 or 6 sub settings there with the least intrusive called Race.)

Then there is driver mode up on the center screen. Which is a touch screen selection . Who knows there might also be a **** you can turn to make selections here. There is steering and exhaust mode settings there —- for exhaust you have stealth, tour, sport and track.

You can have active handling set to eco and exhaust setting set to track. Or you can have active handling set to track from there you can select the race sub mode. Then on the exhaust settings you can put it into stealth

that’s for stealthy racing or loud economy driving.

Our cars are very feature and function rich.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 02-15-2019 at 09:13 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mr. Gizmo:
firemark2643 (02-15-2019), Kyflyer (03-06-2019), tomsobien (02-16-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 09:38 PM
hebegb
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

With the A8 in auto mode and exhaust set to Track, accelerating keeps the valves open unless I ease off the gas before it reaches top gear (6, 7 or 8). When it shifts into that gear mine becomes significantly quieter, almost like Tour or Sport mode. This does not happen if I continue to accelerate into that gear.
tomsobien (02-16-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 09:49 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by hebegb
With the A8 in auto mode and exhaust set to Track, accelerating keeps the valves open unless I ease off the gas before it reaches top gear (6, 7 or 8). When it shifts into that gear mine becomes significantly quieter, almost like Tour or Sport mode. This does not happen if I continue to accelerate into that gear.
Mine is the same as you described....
Old 02-15-2019, 10:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by tomsobien
With the selector in sport mode for the exhaust tuning, when I get to a cruise speed, the exhaust goes quiet, same sound as Tour mode. Chevrolet is trying to say this is normal, but it wasn't normal for the first 3 months I owned the car. Looking for verification that I am not crazy, well at least not about this. Can other Z06 owners tell me if the sound at speedis the same sound as TOUR mode when you have it set to Sport.
In Sport Mode the valves are open most of the time except when the engine is operating in V4 mode. This only affects A8s since M7s don't have V4 operation unless the drive mode is set to ECO. If you have an A8 when you hear the engine sound get quiet that means the engine went into V4 operation. Even if you have the RANGE Module installed that might not stop the exhaust valves from closing since they are controlled by the chassis control module not the ECM.

Do you want the exhaust loud or quiet? If you want loud all the time touch the settings Icon on the center dash display and then touch the Engine Sound Management icon and then choose whether you want Stealth, Tour or Track. In Track the exhaust is open all the time except when the engine is operating in V4 mode. If you have an A8 you can prevent running in V4 Mode by putting the transmission into manual mode and using the paddles to shift gears.

Bill
The following 4 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
Kyflyer (03-06-2019), Lyn Go Fast (02-18-2019), Neumonic2002 (02-19-2019), tomsobien (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 09:30 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
In Sport Mode the valves are open most of the time except when the engine is operating in V4 mode. This only affects A8s since M7s don't have V4 operation unless the drive mode is set to ECO. If you have an A8 when you hear the engine sound get quiet that means the engine went into V4 operation. Even if you have the RANGE Module installed that might not stop the exhaust valves from closing since they are controlled by the chassis control module not the ECM.

Do you want the exhaust loud or quiet? If you want loud all the time touch the settings Icon on the center dash display and then touch the Engine Sound Management icon and then choose whether you want Stealth, Tour or Track. In Track the exhaust is open all the time except when the engine is operating in V4 mode. If you have an A8 you can prevent running in V4 Mode by putting the transmission into manual mode and using the paddles to shift gears.

Bill
i thought it could also go to v4 mode with the m7 in tour. Wet as well as the eco setting.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:27 PM
hebegb
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
I do have the Range module so no V4 mode. If I contine to accelerate while the car goes into 8th, the exhaust valves stay open even in that gear. If I accelerate quickly and then ease off the pedal before going into 6th (up to about 47mph), 7th (48 to about 60mph) or 8th (61mph and above), the valves close when those gears are engaged.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
i thought it could also go to v4 mode with the m7 in tour. Wet as well as the eco setting.
Not in Tour. ECO Mode for sure. Don't know about Weather but the few times I have used Weather I didn't notice it. It definitely doesn't go into V4 mode in Track/Wet Mode. One of these days when I am driving around town I will have to run the car in the following modes Tour, ECO and maybe Weather and turn on the PDR to record speeds, rpm, and exhaust sounds which can be picked up while driving with rpms in the 1200 region. Exhaust going from noise to silent is a clear indication of V4 operation starting.

What I don't understand is why so many people argue with what GM tells us Vs getting in their cars and setting the conditions that allow the exhaust to operate this way and finding out for themselves. There are a lot of nay sayers who completely miss the idea of actually finding out for themselves and maybe blowing their belief that pulling the fuse is necessary. I have no idea why people want to hear the exhaust noise when the car is running in V4 mode since the reason GM decided to obscure it was because it is objectionable.

Bill
Lyn Go Fast (02-18-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 05:03 PM
ahero4eternity
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

Not true. Otherwise, people like me would not pull the fuse.
The following 3 users liked this post by ahero4eternity:
bvettevo (02-25-2019), tomsobien (02-18-2019), Vegas1500 (02-21-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 12:00 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by ahero4eternity
Not true. Otherwise, people like me would not pull the fuse.
You are correct. I quit trying to convince people. I put in a M2W switch so mine is open all the time unless I manually close them. Best of both worlds. Very noticeable on stock car. Even more so with an off road Xpipe.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:59 AM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Just going by Mitchell, which is populated from GM docs.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Exhaust.pdf (270.6 KB, 108 views)

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 exhaust settings

Old 02-18-2019, 10:23 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Just going by Mitchell, which is populated from GM docs.
This is either an error or a change. As even in my 17 the valves closed at certain RPMS in Track mode. That’s why I did the M2W. Mines an M7 so I don’t deal with AFM.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:04 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by saleen556
This is either an error or a change. As even in my 17 the valves closed at certain RPMS in Track mode. That’s why I did the M2W. Mines an M7 so I don’t deal with AFM.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

Bill
Old 02-18-2019, 11:09 AM
bluekey28
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Solution!

Pull fuse #42 & be done with it!

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 exhaust settings