C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Recommended mods that won't affect warranty

Old 02-20-2019, 12:22 PM
Screwdgie
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended mods that won't affect warranty

I picked up an '18 Watkins Glen Grey M7 1LZ in the fall. Absolutely love the car! Came from a full bolt on '15 5.0 and its a night and day difference. Daily driver is a lightly modded '17 Fiesta ST. The Z only comes out in nice weather (which there hasn't been much of in Chicago in a while.)

The car is bone stock at the moment. I have a stage 2 spoiler and really nice black "Z06" license plate bracket ready to go on shortly. It will be getting ceramic coated in the spring. I will be having a tax refund and yearly bonus burning a hole in my pocket shortly, so I am looking into mods that won't void warranty or I suppose won't require a tune. I know of the "big 3", TB, BMS filter and X-pipe. I also heard good things about the MGW shifter? What all have you guys done that shouldn't **** off the dealer regarding warranty issues and which of those mods do you really recommend?
Old 02-20-2019, 12:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

The most cost effective mod is the driver mod. Pay the bucks to attend some high performance driving schools and you will find the car performs far better when you know how to drive it. Stock Zs are pretty wild when let loose by a driver that knows how to get the most out of them. That is something that performance mods can't provide and by the way the driver mods tend to transfer to other vehicles at no cost.

Keep the car stock and maintained as GM recommends and GM will honor the warranty if something happens to it while you are running 150+ down the back straight of whatever track.

Bill
The following 3 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
Mikec7z (02-21-2019), Scoobydoobydoo (02-20-2019), trooper (02-21-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 12:45 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 584 Likes on 515 Posts

An axle back exhaust like the Borla, Corsa or Akrapovic!

-Josh
Old 02-20-2019, 12:54 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by Screwdgie
I picked up an '18 Watkins Glen Grey M7 1LZ in the fall. Absolutely love the car! Came from a full bolt on '15 5.0 and its a night and day difference. Daily driver is a lightly modded '17 Fiesta ST. The Z only comes out in nice weather (which there hasn't been much of in Chicago in a while.)

The car is bone stock at the moment. I have a stage 2 spoiler and really nice black "Z06" license plate bracket ready to go on shortly. It will be getting ceramic coated in the spring. I will be having a tax refund and yearly bonus burning a hole in my pocket shortly, so I am looking into mods that won't void warranty or I suppose won't require a tune. I know of the "big 3", TB, BMS filter and X-pipe. I also heard good things about the MGW shifter? What all have you guys done that shouldn't **** off the dealer regarding warranty issues and which of those mods do you really recommend?
I have the 4 you mention on my 17 Z. Very happy with the combo. I to don’t want to void warranty. Can’t do much else without a tune.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:31 PM
Scoobydoobydoo
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 246 Posts

I agree with Bill. You have a car with 650 horses do you really think another 10 with an air filter is going to make a difference? One of the best things I did was take the 2 day class at Spring Mountain. It helped me to understand what this car is capable of. I'd suggest you learn how to get the most out of the car before tinkering with things and possibly voiding the warranty. But that's just my opinion. Regardless of what you do good luck with the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Scoobydoobydoo:
Detroit_Bill (02-20-2019), trooper (02-21-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 01:43 PM
Screwdgie
5th Gear

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input so far! I can totally understand where you guys are coming from with learning how to really handle the car. I know this is a different beast, but I am no stranger to high performance cars & bikes. I suppose I should have specified a bit further. I'm more so looking for mods that you have done that has improved the driving experience, feel, sound, aesthetics, enjoyment from the car. Be it tires, wheels, bolt ons, tints or anything of the like. I'm not expecting to make major power gains just yet, especially on a stock tune. Luckily, I am just a few miles away from Speed Inc so if I feel the need to venture into making sizable power gains, that's an option.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:58 PM
Cpt_Obviouss
2nd Gear

Why would you need a class to understand how to get the most out of the car? $4k class is absurd for something to you can learn with experience and time with the car. Hell a local track day or scca event would be just as effective for a few bucks. It's all about knowing the limits of the car in a safe environmental.

All the mods you mentioned would be great things to so without a tune. Even the DSC suspension controller would help lay power down on the street.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:01 PM
Detroit_Bill
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpt_Obviouss
Why would you need a class to understand how to get the most out of the car? $4k class is absurd for something to you can learn with experience and time with the car. Hell a local track day or scca event would be just as effective for a few bucks. It's all about knowing the limits of the car in a safe environmental.

All the mods you mentioned would be great things to so without a tune. Even the DSC suspension controller would help lay power down on the street.
With all due respect you are incorrect. If you had attended the class you would know you are wrong. If you have never attended any driving class that is understandable. A track day will teach you your limits with your current techniques and understanding of car dynamics. You will have no idea of the limits of the car because you will be no where near them.

I just did did the Spring Hill class and everyone would benefit and enjoy that class. If you bought a new car it is $1000.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:16 PM
cpark
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroit_Bill
With all due respect you are incorrect. If you had attended the class you would know you are wrong. If you have never attended any driving class that is understandable. A track day will teach you your limits with your current techniques and understanding of car dynamics. You will have no idea of the limits of the car because you will be no where near them.

I just did did the Spring Hill class and everyone would benefit and enjoy that class. If you bought a new car it is $1000.

Wow,You must live or know someone in Vegas cause with flight, car rental, 2 extra days of hotel time and food it came out nearly $4000. Ron Fellows did pickup the second night which helped.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:28 PM
Detroit_Bill
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
Default I stand corrected

Originally Posted by cpark
Wow,You must live or know someone in Vegas cause with flight, car rental, 2 extra days of hotel time and food it came out nearly $4000. Ron Fellows did pickup the second night which helped.
You are right. The class is 1000. The rest adds to the cost. I did the class before a business trip to Vegas so I saved on the flight.

Still worth it.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:34 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

IMHO as well as many others the BEST mod for the car is a DSC Sport Controller. Search C7 forum for "DSC" and read all about it. Totally transforms car handling, ride and ability to actually put power down. I feel it's a no brainer or downside. As it's not a consumable you just pull it and sell when you get rid of car. Recovers a good chunk of the outlay.

Many threads out there but here are the two biggest:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ervations.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ervations.html

Last edited by rikhek; 02-20-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:42 PM
GeorgeR_Zed06
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

I have the following and still retain the warranty:
1. Driver mod
2. TSP long tubes with off road X
3. AFE cai with hi-flo filter
4. 160 t stat
5. NGK tr7ix plugs gapped at .030
6. MSD plug wires
7. Lowered
8. VP MS109 on occasion

A quick blast, these cars will get going in no time.

Last edited by GeorgeR_Zed06; 02-20-2019 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:59 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GeorgeR_Zed06
I have the following and still retain the warranty:
1. Driver mod
2. TSP long tubes with off road X
3. AFE cai with hi-flo filter
4. 160 t stat
5. NGK tr7ix plugs gapped at .030
6. MSD plug wires
7. Lowered
8. VP MS109 on occasion

A quick blast, these cars will get going in no time.
https://youtu.be/PwBm_chKdgQ
Long tubes without a tune? Didn’t realize this was possible.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:10 PM
Cpt_Obviouss
2nd Gear

Also didn't realize a driver mod applied to automatic cars.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:44 PM
GeorgeR_Zed06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cpt_Obviouss
Also didn't realize a driver mod applied to automatic cars.
Driver mod statement was kind of a joke, but in all honestly, you have to know what your doing even with an auto. if not, a manual car will catch you with your pants down. You have to know what speed, rpm and what setting to get the best power output out of it while on street tires. Again, a car like this while on street tires requires skill. This is my 5th Vette and 2nd auto one at that. I've raced manual all my life and they are not any harder to drive, imo.

Last edited by GeorgeR_Zed06; 02-20-2019 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:50 PM
GeorgeR_Zed06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by saleen556
Long tubes without a tune? Didn’t realize this was possible.
it's possible, no issues with my car so far...
Old 02-20-2019, 10:52 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GeorgeR_Zed06
it's possible, no issues with my car so far...
Great to hear. Had no idea. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Recommended mods that won't affect warranty

Old 02-20-2019, 10:54 PM
GeorgeR_Zed06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by saleen556
Great to hear. Had no idea. Thanks.
But that probably won't apply to all cars.

I am at higher elevation so we can usually get away with a little more timing and other stuff some guys down at sea level can't. Or, at least it's what I've been told this whole time by several tuners in the area.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:07 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

i think the norcal catless downpipes and necessary o2 sims are the best mod, and the car will be too loud if exhaust and/or x pipe are also replaced. The norcal pipes remove the biggest airflow restriction in the system, and also bring temps down. Keep the stock x pipe and cats.. they are higher flow cats with less restriction than the ones being eliminated by the norcal pipes, thus the logic behind why the norcal pipes are the better mod. If you end up road-coursing as Bill D suggests, (and I do suggest also) then stay tuned for some cooling mods that will be on the horizon at great price.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 02-21-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:03 AM
TOBASCO
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts
CI 2-4-5-6-7-8-10-11-12 Vet
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'13-'14-'15

Screwdriver - I’m Chicagoland local too (Elmhurst) and have a ‘19 Z06 on order, so this thread on mods caught my attention. Another option you may want to consider if you do want to add power is go to a dealer that will do the mods AND keep the warranty valid. One such dealer is Libertyville Chevy. They’ve got a whole building dedicated to performance mods. Kevin, the Vette tech there is the only guy I allow to touch my Vettes (as do many others in the Chicago area).

But I also agree with the suggestion for Spring Mountain performance driving school. I did it several years back and it is the most fun you can have (well, second most). I plan on taking it again with the $1000 offer when you buy a new Vette.
Visit the local forums (Great Lakes section) that has some local events and get togethers. We have a monthly lunch where we get a few of us together and shoot the $hit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recommended mods that won't affect warranty