C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Going to order a car

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 08:42 AM
Detroit_Bill
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

The car is supposed to be delivered today. It will be difficult not being able to drive it for a while.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:35 AM
flying_vette
Pro

Received 239 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroit_Bill
The car is supposed to be delivered today. It will be difficult not being able to drive it for a while.
Congrats! May I ask what was the price?
Old 03-21-2019, 09:17 AM
Detroit_Bill
Racer

Got is home, took it for a ride around the block on a warmish day. Still too cold to drive with the cup 2 tires. I ordered a set of BC RZ05 satin black rims with PSSS tire in factory sizes for the street.
It came with this cover, not sure if I like it pr hate it. When its stored on the lift it will be able to be seen out the garage window.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:35 PM
btorlv
Pro

Received 183 Likes on 93 Posts

very cool cover
Old 03-21-2019, 04:48 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Exia
If your looking for a second set of rims and wheels due to the Z07 I believe you can order a set of wheels and mpss tires with your car as as an option. Although I think your forced to take black aluminum wheels. The price is $3740. No idea if thats competitive with a set of wheels and tires from a shop in your neck of the woods but something to consider.

I considered the Z07 but passed due to the cost to replace pads/rotors which won't normally be an issue but depending how often you track the car you may end up going through them before getting rid of the car in 3-4 years.

Edit: just realized you already found a car.

I'll leave this up for anyone who can benefit...
I'll take this a step further... there is a very limited edition wheel that the public is generally not aware of, it is the triangle shape spoke, 10 spoke wheel, but when ordered aftermarket it comes in black. This wheel CANNOT be ordered with a z06 unless the person buys the extra set of wheels.

IF i was going to get the extra set of wheels, and you already claim you like black, i would highly consider these limited edition 10 spoke wheels. They may cost more however.

If it was me, i would order forged wheels from a vendor.... which brings me to my next point.... you want the wheel and tire insurance on your new car.

IF you already have your aftermarket forged wheels and tires figured out... and you tell the dealer that you are buying from that you want to make a request that the wheel and tire insurance company adds these aftermarket wheels to the policy, and IF they do add them, THEN you will buy their policy... well, don't be surprised when the insurance company makes an exception to make an extra sale, and they will add the wheel and tires you provide them the specs on... and make sure they PUT IT IN WRITING ON THE CONTRACT, the wheels and tires you plan to use aftermarket.

You will thank me later... otherwise, your track wheel and tires, when you bend or break or puncture them.. you will not be able to claim them via the normal wheel and tire insurance.

3LZ is a no brainer to me. You get the PDR. The passenger side has the insert. All the inserts that can fail from sun etc, are covered under warranty. 3LZ is the way to go, and so is the red interior. Resale will always be better.

Since you and my tastes are similar, i am curious if you would entertain a glass roof? So far, i have not bought a car with one, but on black, which is my color of choice, the glass roof blends in. I like the microfiber roof liner inside the roof on the regular roofs though, so thats what i always fall back into.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-21-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:56 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

OK, Detroit Bill, as I remember previous posts, you indicated that you had or still owned a number of very nice "sports" cars. My recollection was you had a 911 Porsche, a Shelby Cobra (probably the kit version because a real one can sell in the high 6 figure or more range, but you said it had a 427 engine) and I believe there were others. On the Cobra, you even had a Go Pro type video shot where you were driving it on a 2 lane asphalt road, open cockpit and running it out at full acceleration. You said it was quicker than a C7 Z06, 1/4 mile type quicker. You also said you had 10+ years working for a car company and to me, that sounds like a parts or service rep for one of the big 3...know all about them, I worked with reps for 40 years, but they were Caterpillar P&S reps, but those jobs are same-same (although Cat reps may have had more stroke with their wallet just because fixing one of their toys cost a lot more money than most all cars).
So now you've had the chance to drive the Z06, it's used so it's broken in already.....still think the Cobra is quicker?
Old 03-24-2019, 02:14 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

i raced a cobra kit car about a year ago on the highway, he hung right with me from 70 up to 140...

at the end of the exit ramp we both got off, i asked him how many HP, and i forget the number but it was less than my 650, in the 500's if i remember right

and i quickly responded, "but you are a lot lighter aren't you"

and the number he shot back my way if I remember correctly put him at 700lbs lighter than I was...

so, when you consider acceleration at low speeds has more to do with weight and traction than it does big HP numbers, i believe the shelby could be quicker.

One thing for sure is, the cobra will FEEL more raw and scary fast as you accelerate in it... it will bring you more fear and cause you to focus a lot more than flooring a c7z to WOT.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-24-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:47 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
i raced a cobra kit car about a year ago on the highway, he hung right with me from 70 up to 140...

at the end of the exit ramp we both got off, i asked him how many HP, and i forget the number but it was less than my 650, in the 500's if i remember right

and i quickly responded, "but you are a lot lighter aren't you"

and the number he shot back my way if I remember correctly put him at 700lbs lighter than I was...

so, when you consider acceleration at low speeds has more to do with weight and traction than it does big HP numbers, i believe the shelby could be quicker.

One thing for sure is, the cobra will FEEL more raw and scary fast as you accelerate in it... it will bring you more fear and cause you to focus a lot more than flooring a c7z to WOT.
Yep, know that "scared to death" feeling quite well...I had a '95 Dodge Viper and it was "darty" as hell. Any time you got over 100 mph, your heart was in your throat! I've been around a couple of the Factory Five kit cars, both with 427's and their off the line traction was worse than a Hellcat! The 70-140 race as a tie is believable, but from a start, I would have thought the Z06 would have clearly beat it.
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (03-24-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 03:52 PM
Detroit_Bill
Racer

Default Sadly I have not driven the Z06 Much

Originally Posted by tzoid9
OK, Detroit Bill, as I remember previous posts, you indicated that you had or still owned a number of very nice "sports" cars. My recollection was you had a 911 Porsche, a Shelby Cobra (probably the kit version because a real one can sell in the high 6 figure or more range, but you said it had a 427 engine) and I believe there were others. On the Cobra, you even had a Go Pro type video shot where you were driving it on a 2 lane asphalt road, open cockpit and running it out at full acceleration. You said it was quicker than a C7 Z06, 1/4 mile type quicker. You also said you had 10+ years working for a car company and to me, that sounds like a parts or service rep for one of the big 3...know all about them, I worked with reps for 40 years, but they were Caterpillar P&S reps, but those jobs are same-same (although Cat reps may have had more stroke with their wallet just because fixing one of their toys cost a lot more money than most all cars).
So now you've had the chance to drive the Z06, it's used so it's broken in already.....still think the Cobra is quicker?
Unfortunately Michigan is still to cold to drive on Cup tires. Even if it were 50 degrees I don't think it would be a fair test because of the limited traction.

I do not believe I said the Cobra would be faster? Honestly I am not sure how that race would play out. I don't agree with your opinions of Cobra's in general. And they are not all the same. Factory Five for example is assembled by someone usually the purchaser and the parts they pick can vary and the skill and precision with which it is put together can vary greatly. I am sure it is a quality product but I think you could get in a few of them back to back and they may feel quite different.

I have a Superformance. It comes as a Rolling Chassis. Putting together the engine and transmission combination and then aligning the car/setting up the suspension can still lead to variation so they are not all created equal either. One of the biggest points to consider is rim and tire choices. Many Cobras I see have BF Goodrich Radial TA's. Fresh out of the box that is not a great tire. With Cobra's likely similar to Corvettes many people drive on old tires and then the traction is highly questionable.

I put 18" Rims on my Cobra and the tires are Michelin Pilot Sports. 335's in the rear. Does it have great traction in first and second, no. You can't smash it to the boards and drop the clutch. You can do a controlled launch and the car hauls. Like someone else said it is very visceral. It feels like you are really moving. Its open, low to the ground, small, violent and loud. You better be a good and cautious driver, there is no technology to save you. I suspect the Z06 with all the traction control turned off with would be similar. I would hope it had better traction but I don't think it would just stick. There is going to be a lot of skill to launch it fast. The cobra handles quite well. The quality tires and light weight are a powerful combination.

My Cobra has a 427 stroked to 482 with 560 Hp and 560 Torque at the crank and it weighs 2600 pounds. I am sorry but you are not a car guy if you don't want to drive that. It is such a sweet car. You said something about parking lot car shows in a different thread. That is not what that car is about at all. I like to take it out on a half hour joy ride and pound it. It is the most exhilarating feeling and experience. I built it because the Porsche it replaced was sterile, to clinical. I went to the other side of the boat and build a raw, high hp car I could enjoy and work on myself. The problem is that it is not practical at all. No roof puts very definite limits on what you can do with it.

The Z06 I hope is my answer to a high performance, visceral ride. The traction and stability control is a plus because it has so many levels. I can take it to the track and if it gets rained out its OK. I can take a long weekend with my wife and travel up north in Michigan.
The Cobra and Corvette are very different cars. Not really comparable.

In its day the 427SC Cobra was THE SUPERCAR.

Car and Driver Cobra review from 1965

The last photo puts some scale to it. I drove it to work one day and looking out the window the size of it next to regular cars was interesting to say the least.

Mikec7z (03-26-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 06:35 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 637 Likes on 375 Posts

Great read, Bill, and very good looking Cobra!
Old 03-25-2019, 08:38 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

No denying, that is a pretty car. There was a brand new one for sale in the Ford dealer showroom the year I graduated from high school, 1965....427, blue streak tires, knock off mag wheels. Sticker on the window was $7700. I remember thinking, you had to be really rich to afford one of them....now that car pushes a million dollars if its in good condition. My ex boss owned one of them and an original Mustang GT350 (1993-94, something like that). Beautiful machines......
The following 2 users liked this post by tzoid9:
Detroit_Bill (03-26-2019), Mikec7z (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 05:20 PM
Detroit_Bill
Racer

Default Got a chance at drive today it was 65

Within the limits of being on the street I was able to get the car to hookup pretty well which surprised me. It is fast for sure but not scary fast.

Is it faster than the Cobra? From a stop probably. From a roll I don’t know. Power to wright in the cobra is pretty impressive.

The two two cars are so different it’s hard to tell. To the average person the cobra will feel faster. It overloads all your senses.

Both are cool and have their place.
Mikec7z (03-28-2019)

Quick Reply: Going to order a car