C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 smoke show/burn out

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 04:11 PM
Broker23
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Z06 smoke show/burn out

If someone could answer this question. I would really appreciate it. So every time I go to do a burn out in my 2019 Z06 auto no matter what mode I'm in with traction control off or double tap traction control mode. The car spin the tires hit's the rev limiter so fast the tires stop spinning.../ It makes it seem like I don't know how to drive the car. What can I do to stop this? I want to spin the tires until I decide to stop or the car runs out of power to do so... When traction control kicks back in it slams your head off the driver window 9 out of 10 time's If you were on a drag strip you couldn't even heat the tires enough. Would a tune fix this or is there a way to over ride the rev limiter? I know the limiter is there for a reason but I'm sure someone has found a way to remove it

Last edited by Broker23; 03-08-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:03 PM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

Old 03-08-2019, 05:04 PM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Are you holding down your traction control button down until both indicator lights come on? Taking off traction control and stability control.....

Last edited by NASTYC7; 03-08-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:12 PM
Broker23
Advanced

Originally Posted by NASTYC7
Are you holding down your traction control button down until both indicator lights come on? Taking off traction control and stability control.....
Yes I hold it down and get two light on the dash then it gives me wet mode dry mode a few others
Old 03-08-2019, 05:19 PM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Originally Posted by Broker23
Yes I hold it down and get two light on the dash then it gives me wet mode dry mode a few others
Never seen that. I'm usually in Sport mode, hold the button down and it's ready. I experienced the exact same thing when I first burned out with only traction control off. as soon as the car got a little sideways the stability shut the car down and slammed me into the door..LOL I do have an M7, but I wouldn't think that would make any difference. Are you keeping it in "auto" mode or are you upshifting? The trans should shift and not hit the limiter IMO...
Old 03-08-2019, 05:23 PM
Broker23
Advanced

Never seen that. I'm usually in Sport mode, hold the button down and it's ready. I experienced the exact same thing when I first burned out with only traction control off. as soon as the car got a little sideways the stability shut the car down and slammed me into the door..LOL I do have an M7, but I wouldn't think that would make any difference. Are you keeping it in "auto" mode or are you upshifting? The trans should shift and not hit the limiter IMO...
Yes I keep it in auto mode I drive in track mode all the time I get a light on the right side of my dash when I hit traction control 1 and a second one on the left when I hold it in or hit it 2 times

Last edited by Broker23; 03-08-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:28 PM
NASTYC7
Drifting

OK next... Have you got the tires smoking at a lower RPM and held it there? From a power brake it should start spinning around 3500 to 4000 RPM and you can slightly increase it and hold a lower RPM. Just power braking you should be able to hold a constant RPM, once you let off of course you need to accelerate to keep spinning before it grabs.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:32 PM
Broker23
Advanced

OK next... Have you got the tires smoking at a lower RPM and held it there? From a power brake it should start spinning around 3500 to 4000 RPM and you can slightly increase it and hold a lower RPM. Just power braking you should be able to hold a constant RPM, once you let off of course you need to accelerate to keep spinning before it grabs.
No I haven't because I just got the car In December and I live in Chicago so its cold you can break the tires loose every time you jump on the gas
Old 03-08-2019, 05:33 PM
Ludicrous_Speed
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Hold the button for a few seconds until both lights turn on instead of double tapping it. That should do it in any driving mode.
The options that pop up when you double tap in Track mode are the different Performance Traction Management modes and all have different settings for traction and stability control. If you put that in Race mode I believe it has all the nannies shut off entirely so that should allow a burnout, too.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:36 PM
Broker23
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ludicrous_Speed
Hold the button for a few seconds until both lights turn on instead of double tapping it. That should do it in any driving mode.
The options that pop up when you double tap in Track mode are the different Performance Traction Management modes and all have different settings for traction and stability control. If you put that in Race mode I believe it has all the nannies shut off entirely so that should allow a burnout, too.
When I put it in race mode its worse its controlling the power so it comes on really slow so it don't spin
Old 03-08-2019, 05:54 PM
Broker23
Advanced

This is what I do and the car just hit the rev limiter I will try it again Monday when the weather will be a little better

Old 03-08-2019, 06:00 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

As others have said push and hold center button until TC and AHC are off. The modes you are describing are in Performance Traction Managemnt PTM and by design limit wheelspin on track.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:05 PM
Broker23
Advanced

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
As others have said push and hold center button until TC and AHC are off. The modes you are describing are in Performance Traction Managemnt PTM and by design limit wheelspin on track.

Thanks I have done it both ways I will try again on Monday cars going to dealer for x pipe and cat back
Old 03-08-2019, 06:08 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludicrous_Speed
op— be careful if you do this. Holding down the button turns full off the traction control and full off on the nannies(stabilitrak). If the car bites/gets traction you’ll take off like a bat out of hell and the car will get squirrely. lots of guys have really F’ed up their cars doing this.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 03-08-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:18 PM
Broker23
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
op— be careful if you do this. Holding down the button turns full off the traction control and full off on the nannies(stabilitrak). If the car bites/gets traction you’ll take off like a bat out of hell and the car will get squirrely. lots of guys have really F’ed up their cars doing this.
The problem is the minute it starts to kick sideways the stabilitrak kicks in and slams your head on the window or to the passenger side and you never know what way its going to go. I dont have this problem in my gt500 or my Lambo If I want to dirft I can but not in a Vette and they say this is a track car but you cant even dirft
Old 03-08-2019, 07:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

That is because you put the drive mode selector in Track. Pushing down the center button then takes you to the Track Sub Modes where PTM and Launch Control can be active. Even though Traction Control isn't turned on in Sport 2 or Race Sub Modes PTM is active as is launch control.

If you want to burn up $1000 of tires you need to be in Tour or Sport Mode and Push the center button once. If you want to turn off both Traction and Stability control then push and hold the button until both lights are lit on the IP.

Bill
Old 03-08-2019, 07:50 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

The problem is the minute it starts to kick sideways the stabilitrak kicks in and slams your head on the window or to the passenger side and you never know what way its going to go. I dont have this problem in my gt500 or my Lambo If I want to dirft I can but not in a Vette and they say this is a track car but you cant even dirft
Hate to tell you drifting is the slow way around the track. Might be nice for a show but if you want a low lap time you don't drift. As I indicated in my previous post you need to choose the correct settings to do what you want to do. It is all described in the OM.

Just thought about something. If Stability Control is slamming your head against the side window you must be doing something else wrong as well. Stability Control tries to keep the car pointed where you have the steering wheel pointed that is all it does. If you are sawing back and forth on the steering wheel it will move the car back and forth trying to keep up. The car will do exactly what you tell it to do whether or not you intended to tell it to do that.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 03-08-2019 at 07:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 smoke show/burn out

Old 03-08-2019, 08:09 PM
Broker23
Advanced

[QUOTE=Bill Dearborn;1599013260]Hate to tell you drifting is the slow way around the track. Might be nice for a show but if you want a low lap time you don't drift. As I indicated in my previous post you need to choose the correct settings to do what you want to do. It is all described in the OM.

Just thought about something. If Stability Control is slamming your head against the side window you must be doing something else wrong as well.
Stability Control tries to keep the car pointed where

you have the steering wheel pointed that is all it
does. If you are sawing back and forth on the
steering wheel it will move the car back and forth trying to keep up. The car will do exactly what you tell it to do whether or not you intended to tell it to do
that.

It slams you around when the back starts to fish tail then it kicks in... I prefer to control the car myself.. It will just take some seat time to get use to it

Old 03-08-2019, 08:16 PM
Broker23
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
That is because you put the drive mode selector in Track. Pushing down the center button then takes you to the Track Sub Modes where PTM and Launch Control can be active. Even though Traction Control isn't turned on in Sport 2 or Race Sub Modes PTM is active as is launch control.

If you want to burn up $1000 of tires you need to be in Tour or Sport Mode and Push the center button once. If you want to turn off both Traction and Stability control then push and hold the button until both lights are lit on the IP.

Bill
So your saying if I start the car go to track mode and press and hold the button down Until both lights are lit Im now in Sub Mode even if I didnt change the selector?
Old 03-08-2019, 08:28 PM
Broker23
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Hate to tell you drifting is the slow way around the track. Might be nice for a show but if you want a low lap time you don't drift. As I indicated in my previous post you need to choose the correct settings to do what you want to do. It is all described in the OM.

Just thought about something. If Stability Control is slamming your head against the side window you must be doing something else wrong as well. Stability Control tries to keep the car pointed where you have the steering wheel pointed that is all it does. If you are sawing back and forth on the steering wheel it will move the car back and forth trying to keep up. The car will do exactly what you tell it to do whether or not you intended to tell it to do that.

Bill
I realize its the slow way around the track. I'm just saying this car is far from a track car. If you have ever owned or driven a Lamborghini you would know there is no comparison on the track . I bought this car new as my daily driver and have only put about 1100 miles on it because of the weather. If you say I'm doing it wrong I have no reason to doubt you . I appreciate the info and will try it Monday when I take the car into the dealership

Quick Reply: Z06 smoke show/burn out