C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Price check

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 10:50 PM
Cmud
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by dekaliber
I was in the market recently and that seems high to me. It depends on the options and how long it's been sitting in their lot but I think you should be able to do low 60s for that car. Weirdly enough used car pricing hasn't really moved that much despite weak demand for new Z06s, so if it's a Carmax or some other no-haggle operation they're probably pricing it relative to other list prices and not necessarily pricing it at the point where it would actually be a good deal.

Three data points:

1) Local dealer had a CPO 2016 3LZ listed at $67K, I test drove the car, told them I wasn't ready to make a decision, but they still tried to offer me $57K to take the car that day. No a firm commitment of course and they could have tried to milk my trade in to make that price work, but suggested pretty weak demand in my area which tends to have inflated pricing relative to the rest of the country (SoCal). It was a 2-owner car with higher mileage so not really directly comparable to yours, but still an idea of the discrepancy between list and potential sell prices.

2) Another local dealer had a new 2019 3LZ with an MSRP of almost $96K listed for $11K under that. Didn't really get into negotiations but based on the numbers the sales manager was throwing out I'm pretty confident I could have gotten them to do $80K.

3) I ultimately bought a new 2018 2LZ listed at $87K for a bit under $70K. My original budget was for $60K for a used 2016-2017 Z06 with under 10K miles, so it was a no brainer to pay <$10K more for a brand new car.
Thanks for the info. They wouldnt move so I walked. Plus I felt like they were shafting me on my trade in.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:55 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
You act like it. It's full of people who think they're masters of witty comments and clever satire and idiotic name-calling. Others just like being the dog-in-the-manger type. Most forum commenters seem to think you're a damned fool. What do you get out of the constant grumbling in the bulk of your posts? Just curious.
just a fool here amongst other fools that think these cars are the cat’s meow.

You have plenty to complain and grumble about about with your engine rattle, transmission shudder , hard downshifts , vibration problems. and cracking wheels concerns looking for forged wheel . alternatives. Why don’t you sell this car you have so many problems with? Just curious why you hang on to a car with so many problems.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 03-13-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:35 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Originally Posted by Cmud
They wouldnt move so I walked. Plus I felt like they were shafting me on my trade in.
Often a immediate decision like this is correct. Keep looking, you will find a car that work for you.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:23 AM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 640 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
just a fool here amongst other fools that think these cars are the cat’s meow.

You have plenty to complain and grumble about about with your engine rattle, transmission shudder , hard downshifts , vibration problems. and cracking wheels concerns looking for forged wheel . alternatives. Why don’t you sell this car you have so many problems with? Just curious why you hang on to a car with so many problems.
I have some problems with the car it's true. However, you don't see any bashing about them in general from me
Those are genuine problems that a lot of us have in common. Your constant reference to the c7 as a pig or a lousy handling car or slow is just plain silly
Bottom line is that the c7 is the best vette to date and I've owned a bunch of previous generations so I'm not new at this game
Old 03-14-2019, 02:31 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
I have some problems with the car it's true. However, you don't see any bashing about them in general from me
Those are genuine problems that a lot of us have in common. Your constant reference to the c7 as a pig or a lousy handling car or slow is just plain silly
Bottom line is that the c7 is the best vette to date and I've owned a bunch of previous generations so I'm not new at this game
yup, agreed. I embellish and complain. The car I have has been mechanically sound. It just won’t be there at the top of the list of favorites.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:59 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 640 Likes on 376 Posts

yup, agreed. I embellish and complain. The car I have has been mechanically sound. It just won’t be there at the top of the list of favorites.
Fair enough.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:37 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

if you dont need the car right this second, i would wait. As soon as the c8 is revealed, prices will drop 6 grand overnight... and even prior to that, there will be deals on new ones.

I feel like you could find a 3lz with a 96 sticker for 76 from a dealer in the next couple months. A 2lz, i feel you could get for less obviously.

Keep in mind, your interest rates are higher on a used car than a new one.

so while the figures I quoted may be almost 10 grand higher, you will have a lower rate, so your payment will end up being very similar between the 2 cars, new vs used, but now you have a full term warranty and can get whatever new car out that there you want.

Also, i would get in tight with someone at a chevy store so they can inform you when the "last month of incentive" is on the 2018 new cars. Chevy tells the dealers during that month, that the next month, it is lights out and no more rebates.

This is what I did to find the deal on mine. I copied this text over from the other thread i posted on a bit ago...

"i would start calling dealers and seeing if they have 18's and still have GM incentives. If they do, i would be inclined to hold out a couple months and keep checking in on the 18's until the dealers say that the 18's are about to lose incentives that month.

Once the dealer KNOWS they lose all incentives NEXT month, you can get them to take a bath on the car THIS month while there are still incentives.

Reason being, if they are giving you a 10 grand off deal this month on 18's, and 8 grand of that is incentive rebate money from GM, next month, the same deal, they themselves instead of discounting 2 grand at the dealer level, would have to discount 8 grand more to 10 grand.

So you simply point out to them, next month, they will have to lose 8 grand to sell the car IF anyone wants it vs a 19.

So how about they lose an extra 7 grand this month, on top of the 10 grand discount.

Those were easily doable numbers. I got a dealer to take over 20 grand off total, with this strategy."

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-14-2019 at 06:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cvp33 (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 06:53 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Two choices really:

1) Wait for 20-25% off as this will put new ones well within reach and put pressure on the used market
2) If you're chasing a payment threshold - Buy new and go 72 months. My credit union is offering 1.99% for 72 months with a 75% LTV number. You can get 15% off MSRP and fund the remaining 10% yourself. Actually makes the payment lower for a $79K car, then a used $65K car financed for 60 months at 5.99%.
Mikec7z (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 06:56 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

exactly. When i bought my new one, i couldnt find a used one for a lower Out-The-Door payment. The new one genuinely costs me less than a used one would have.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-16-2019 at 04:34 PM.
cvp33 (03-14-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 04:21 PM
Cmud
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks for the information. Havent really thought about going new but it makes sense. Seems like a good idea to wait until the C8 hits. But if it's really a $60k car, big if there, I may want one of those instead. LOL

Cmud
Old 03-16-2019, 06:39 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cmud
Thanks for the information. Havent really thought about going new but it makes sense. Seems like a good idea to wait until the C8 hits. But if it's really a $60k car, big if there, I may want one of those instead. LOL

Cmud
it will be a preference of front engine rear driver versus mid-engine rear drive . The new c8 design looks cab forward. Like the Acura nsx. Light weight 3000 lbs and high revving NA motor in the 550 to 600 hp range will pick my interest. And hopefully the designers dumb down the Mickey Mouse dash board
Old 03-16-2019, 07:32 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

this is not the last month of incentive on the 18's yet this month, but they do have zero percent financing right now fyi. Next month will be great too im sure.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:44 AM
NA FURY
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 42 Posts

Light weight 3000 lbs and high revving NA motor in the 550 to 600 hp range will pick my interest.
Surely you jest.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:58 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CalculatingInfinity
Surely you jest.
Ok. 3180 lbs and 550 hp NA is a reasonable expectation.

Quick Reply: Price check