C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Callaway 757

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 02:00 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

All c7z (non callaway) cars have a problem that a guy with the last name B---- discovered over a year ago in the fall. He in turn told me about it because im his friend. He said he believed all c7z corvettes have a glitch where they are programmed to go into limp mode at high speed in cold weather at sea level (max incoming air pressure), and at first it was releated to p0106.

GM came out with the p0106 reflash which only shuts it off from being able to throw... but it turns out, that 106 code was a buffer to a more serious code. The more serious code is not a code that can be "turned off" unless a person wants to blow up their engine, as this other codes are p228c and p0089. Low pressure codes in the low side line and the high side at the rails. B---- discovered that the stock tune c7z requests an ungodly amount of fuel (about 800hp worth) when the car is driven at high speeds, at sea level, in the cold, at WOT) Low side fuel pump is the weak link, and cant keep up. Cars run lean. Before they go too lean, GM's stock tune programming puts them into limp mode, p228c

I checked it out on another car, and sure enough, i could put it into limp mode as well if i drove like B---- does. He starts checking other cars as well, and can do it to any car. Then i started surfing the forum to find other people who stumble into the same problem and when we find them, we reach out to them.

The stock tune car is choosing to run insanely rich.

B---- is a pretty sharp cat, so he reached out to callaway early on as he was developing his theory on what the limp modes were caused by, since he knew Callaway's cars should be requesting even more fuel due to the larger blower, and he wanted to see if they ran into this problem (he knew the answer would be yes if his theory were true). This was over a year ago.

As his questions were relayed to the person at callaway he was speaking to on the phone, it became evident very quickly that not only had callaway encountered the p228c code, but they were also very receptive to any and all ideas B---- had to solve it. B---- told me after that phone call "i bet those guys solve the problem before GM does, and I bet their cars will end up not throwing the code once they correct the tune". The solution is simple, just tune the car to request less fuel where GM has it requesting so much with COT active, etc.

Keep in mind, we had every other major tuning shop on this forum, who chose to talk to us about the issue, telling us we were liars, trolls, and those shops and their followers were doing everything in their power to get us banned since we would not back down and would not agree we were "liars and trolls". (and B---- still is banned btw) So when callaway wanted to talk about it and agreed it was a problem, it put them lightyears ahead of other shops, in our book.

Other shops we reached out to included lingenfelter and a few CAI vendors, and a few others i wont mention because they frequent this forum often, but in a nutshell, they all told us we were idiots and/or liars. Not one has come forward and apologized yet either, and most of the convos and battles are still documented on this forum. Lingenfelter was the only other shop other than callaway, who did not cross us on this forum out of the several selected shops we reached out to. All the others did. If you think this is an exaggeration, a quick search of this forum with the codes mentioned above, will show many of those battles that took place, as we were told we were idiots and liars an trolls, etc etc, countless times.

Fast forward almost a year, salcolkat came on the forum complaining about the limp mode that p228c induces. B---- and I realized salcolkat was at sea level, in the cold. I reached out to salcolkat and explain the problem in detail. The only solution for those of us with stock tune vettes is to lemon our cars. Salcolkat said he loves his car and does not want to lemon it, he also said callaway was willing to fly to his house and fix the tune.

B---- smiled as i explained the story to him after i got off the phone with salcolkat, and hes like "i knew they would fix it before GM" So callaway has a reflash/retune they put in the car... but most people don't need it, they aren't at sea level in the cold, driving fast. So the cars that don't have the reflash are fine for 99% of the population. Most people could not hit the code if they drove the cars for the next 20 years. (B---- drives a bit faster than most people on the planet, and that is putting it lightly. So he finds problems with the cars, and is smart enough to figure it out on his own when the shops have not yet. Hes also the one behind the oil cooling kit idea im currently working on. Hes also the guy that turned down a job at lockheed while he was still in college, and you can ask him what he does instead, im not going there)

Still to this day, GM will not adjust their tune to not request so much fuel, instead, they just ignore us. Rather than come on the forum and explain how stupid we think Tadge is to ignore us and keep ours and everyone else's cars unsafe, we instead just lemon our cars and get new ones, but still think deep down that Tadge is an idiot, as hes eventually going to have to fix the cars, its just a matter of time, and hes going to buy quite a few of us new ones in the meantime as he hides under his rock, hoping people stop lemmoning their cars. (keep in mind, B---- owns dealerships, so he can talk directly to the GM engineers on glitches he finds with the cars, where normal customers cant, so he can get a first hand understanding of IF he is being ignored or if they are trying to actually fix it)

If GM wants to be foolish, so be it, law is on our side. Their cars keep going into limp mode, and GM refuses to solve the problem, so we use the law to throw the problem back on GM via lemon law since they want to be too lazy to fix their cars.

Callaway is better at customer service than GM is.

That's what that line was about

If you don't go into limp mode, you are fine, no need for a new tune, the problem does not affect you and your driving habits and your location and climate.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-17-2019 at 12:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mikec7z:
cvp33 (03-17-2019), JHEBERT (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 07:46 AM
Savoy2001
Melting Slicks

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,108 Posts

Wow so ya I remember reading that long thread regarding this limp mode issue with wot at Sea level in cold weather. I just didn't realize Callaway had a tune capable of fixing the code. Very interesting and I'm not surprised Callaway is the one to come up with the fix. Those guys are on their a game.
So I guess I can leave my sc757 tune the way it is then. I'm guessing I have the old Callaway tune since they did the conversion in 17.
Thanks for that very indepth answer.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:51 AM
salcolkat
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Savoy2001
Wow so ya I remember reading that long thread regarding this limp mode issue with wot at Sea level in cold weather. I just didn't realize Callaway had a tune capable of fixing the code. Very interesting and I'm not surprised Callaway is the one to come up with the fix. Those guys are on their a game.
So I guess I can leave my sc757 tune the way it is then. I'm guessing I have the old Callaway tune since they did the conversion in 17.
Thanks for that very indepth answer.
The engineer from Callaway told me they started doing it with the 19's
Old 03-17-2019, 07:55 AM
Savoy2001
Melting Slicks

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,108 Posts

Originally Posted by salcolkat
The engineer from Callaway told me they started doing it with the 19's
I see. Well I haven't had that problem but I guess if I ever threw that code under the same conditions I could probably ask Callaway to update my tune to the latest version.

Thanks very much for the info guys.

Quick Reply: Callaway 757