C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Questions - possible bent/cracked wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 02:24 PM
NineVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The problem isn't the stiff run flat as it isn't all that stiff. The Michelins only have a stiffener in the inside tire wall, the outside is the same as any other tire. The stiffener isn't all that stiff either. At Spring Mountain they had a cutaway of the tires and I held it in my hand and flexed both sidewalls. Yes the inside one was a lot stiffer than the outside one which I could almost bend bend 90 degrees. However, I was able to move the inside one to some degree.

I have put almost 12K miles on my car with about 3000 miles of that on track wheels/tires. The stock rims have seen several hundred miles of track driving and even when hitting the rumble strips on the North Course at VIR at speed I didn't damage them. On the street I run in Tour Mode as the ride is better with a Z07 car and I never found anything interesting about the handling when driving in Sport Mode. The ride was stiffer and maybe the steering was stiffer but the handling was the same.

Bill
I appreciate you sharing your experience, Bill. I believe your car is a '15 Z - correct? I suppose it is possible (and have heard this) that GM has switched wheel suppliers at least once since '15. And maybe that is a factor, and maybe it is not. What wheel/tire combo do you run on the track? I am guessing the wheel diameters are smaller than 19-20, and those wheels are forged.

I have still not heard any responses explaining why the Camaro ZL1 cars run forged wheels and the more expensive halo Z06 runs cast wheels - interesting. And now at least the ZR-1 runs rotary forged wheel centers? If so, at least a bit more wheel integrity, I would think.

There seems to be ample anecdotal evidence that a significant number of Z06 owners have bent oem wheels. The prevalence of specialty insurance policies protecting against these failure would appear to be worthy to note. Maybe I was just unlucky - started running cars on the track in the late 80's (Corvettes) and never had a wheel failure. I freely admit that I am not a fan of run-flats in general, more expensive, more difficult to get repaired, heavier, etc. JMO. I actually do like the looks of the wheels on my Z, but being a function over form guy, not thrilled with the fitment of cheap weaker cast wheels, that are also quite heavy. My '17 Shelby GT350 came with the cheaper cast wheels and they were also boat anchors, but they do not have much of a failure history. The semi-exotic carbon fiber wheels on the R model were almost half as heavy but at a nosebleed premium.

So for the moment, I will use my insurance to replace the wheel. But, a forged set of 18-19s are definitely at the head of my buy list.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:13 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

I'm running the stock wheel/tire combination at VIR and have several thousand miles and several sets of tires worn out there. So far the gators are the only thing I've hit but they didn't bend the wheels. I've been off track a couple of times but didn't hit anything and it was smooth where I went off and came back on. Mine is a 15 as well but only one set of my wheels are from 15.
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 03:16 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by sadgsowner
NHTSA is different. If enough owners report, a recall might happen before someone experiences a catastrophic failure/injury.

Personally, I have 2 bent wheels and no resolution from GM. Never tracked or hit anything unusual *whatsoever.*

Wheels and tires look like new.
Problem is, oddly enough, no wheels actually shatter and break away completely at the spokes... the run flat sidewall is essentially a strong sleeve that holds everything about the wheel together... and aluminum does not shatter like magnesium or carbon, the aluminum just cracks and bends it seems... so GM would have a good argument to say "show us one wheel that has fallen off a car due to failure"... and we we would be dead in the water

Quick Reply: Questions - possible bent/cracked wheel