C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Best Slick for Serious Track Use

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 11:18 PM
Z06_V
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Best Slick for Serious Track Use

Hi Folks - new guy here. Starting to get some track miles under my belt and wanted to move towards some slicks in the near future vs. current Cups. Wanted to see what you guys are running and what you like (and don't like) and why.

Here are some good options I have found. Would appreciate some thoughts, if you can rate them based on personal experience and the sizes of each that you have run. Will be getting some 18" wheels soon.

Baseline Tire for comparison purposes: Cup2s (stock sizes)
Track: 2-4 mile road course

1. Hoosier R7s
2. Hoosier Continental's
3. Pirelli's
4. Michelin's
5. Others??

Thanks for your time and input. Cheers.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:26 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Depends if you are buying new or getting scrubs. I believe new Michelin slicks are the fastest but you can find Pirelli DH scrubs pretty cheap ($150/tire.) Hoosier's are fast and last a while.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:06 PM
Z06_V
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
Depends if you are buying new or getting scrubs. I believe new Michelin slicks are the fastest but you can find Pirelli DH scrubs pretty cheap ($150/tire.) Hoosier's are fast and last a while.
Thanks for the input. Budget would be <$200/tire … so would look to purchase mostly scrubs for all the options but if new is less than $200/tire, then will certainly consider those. Seems the R7 has the largest foot print (with stock like diameters) with 315/30/18 on the front and 345/35/18 on the rear, but that doesn't necessarily mean it would have the most grip. I have heard good things about the Michelin slicks, but what caught my attention was that the rear tire that fits (30/68/18) has a tread width of only 11.5" which is smaller than stock Cups (13.1"). But I guess the Pirelli 315/680/18 or 325 are close to that width as well. Just curious what the experience is with various options and what works best within a reasonable budget. Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Slick for Serious Track Use

Quick Reply: Best Slick for Serious Track Use