C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

OnStar 100% disablement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 02:09 AM
Spitfire Mk1
Formula 1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts
Default OnStar 100% disablement?

Is there anyway to totally disable On-Star?

I know when it’s “off” it is still tracking the car to who knows who through Data Mining.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:34 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

in the footwell, there is a chip/board/component that can be pulled
Old 03-22-2019, 02:39 AM
Spitfire Mk1
Formula 1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
in the footwell, there is a chip/board/component that can be pulled
Thanks much for your reply.

“Footwell” do you mean under dashboard? Fuse box?

How do I determine its for On-Star?

TIA.

Last edited by Spitfire Mk1; 03-22-2019 at 02:42 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:49 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mto
Thanks much for your reply.

“Footwell” do you mean under dashboard? Fuse box?

How do I determine its for On-Star?

TIA.
There are threads about it if you search for it, passenger side footwell under the carpet or up around the back of the glove box if i remember right.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:34 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Old 03-22-2019, 03:37 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...right-way.html
The following users liked this post:
demasterz (03-24-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 03:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by mto
Is there anyway to totally disable On-Star?

I know when it’s “off” it is still tracking the car to who knows who through Data Mining.
No, when it is off it is off. When you don't pay the bill they send a signal to the system that shuts off the system. The only part that works is the one where you push the button and connects you to a sales agent. Nothing gets reported to anybody. In the grand scheme of things none of us are all that important that anybody gives a crap about what we are doing. True, they may do something online to try and steal our money but they are not interested in where we have been or are going.

I actually have OnStar active on all three of my vehicles and have it tied into my insurance so I can get my low mile discounts on each of them. OnStar reports the miles traveled each month and that is it. The insurance company doesn't get any other data.

Bill
The following 3 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
Mikec7z (03-22-2019), Monkey D. Luffy (05-24-2019), tzoid9 (03-24-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 04:08 PM
CJ Willys
Le Mans Master

Received 505 Likes on 295 Posts

I think what you want, perhaps, is for the GM to cease interrogating the car? By which, of course, they also know the car's location. I do not know if this communication is via OnStar, or some other device within the car.
Mikec7z (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 07:28 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

the procedure link i provided kills it all from being able to occur
CJ Willys (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 11:04 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by CJ ******
I think what you want, perhaps, is for the GM to cease interrogating the car? By which, of course, they also know the car's location. I do not know if this communication is via OnStar, or some other device within the car.
If you don't pay the bill nobody interrogates the car and even if you do GM doesn't interrogate it anyways. What are they going to gain by interrogating several million cars and trucks? Where are they going to keep the data and how much are they willing to pay for the hardware the data is stored on? Sure the capability may be there to track you but who the hell gives a crap about what you are doing. They can track you through your phone and see what you are doing all the time even when you aren't near the car. Of course wrapping aluminum foil around your head does seem to stop the tracking if you do the wrap correctly.

Bill
Detroit_Bill (05-24-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 11:35 PM
CJ Willys
Le Mans Master

Received 505 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If you don't pay the bill nobody interrogates the car and even if you do GM doesn't interrogate it anyways. What are they going to gain by interrogating several million cars and trucks? Where are they going to keep the data and how much are they willing to pay for the hardware the data is stored on? Sure the capability may be there to track you but who the hell gives a crap about what you are doing. They can track you through your phone and see what you are doing all the time even when you aren't near the car. Of course wrapping aluminum foil around your head does seem to stop the tracking if you do the wrap correctly.

Bill
I do not pay for OnStar service, nor any other GM service on my '17 GMC Sierra. But I get a monthly data report on truck vitals (oil change, mileage, tire pressure, etc.). As to what they have to gain, I suppose, is monitoring abuse, or just plain old trying to sell me services. But. You are Quite incorrect if you believe you are not monitored, whether you pay or not.
So, stop the attitude, bud.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:59 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

I do not pay for OnStar service, nor any other GM service on my '17 GMC Sierra. But I get a monthly data report on truck vitals (oil change, mileage, tire pressure, etc.). As to what they have to gain, I suppose, is monitoring abuse, or just plain old trying to sell me services. But. You are Quite incorrect if you believe you are not monitored, whether you pay or not.
agreed. Whether or not you are paying for the service it still works the same. While you might not be paying. It collects data, that can be used to track you, your driving and can be sold to third parties.

fhe links above showing the steps to disable it Seem like a fairly involved job to remove and put back in place when you go to sell the car.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 03-24-2019 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:29 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Bill is a good dude, hes a super nice guy, hes just teasing.

I get what you are saying but at the same time, i provided you the link to solve your problem a while ago, its your own fault if you want to waste time debating with people all day who have a different point of view.

If you want to give the reason you need to cloak yourself, i promise I am the blackest kettle here, you arent going to blow my mind. If you don't want to give your reason, then your just going to go in circles with people and get banned if you cross guys like Bill, who does a lot for the forum. He's forgotten more than most of us know.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:28 AM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

I do not pay for OnStar service, nor any other GM service on my '17 GMC Sierra. But I get a monthly data report on truck vitals (oil change, mileage, tire pressure, etc.).
GM is monitoring this information and sending you reports because you affirmatively opted-in to this program. You can opt-out now if you would like.

Given the incredible amount of bad publicity companies face if it is discovered they are collecting data on users without permission, together with the potential of class action lawsuits, I doubt GM is monitoring and gathering data on all its customers. This is particularly true of location data or any other information perceived as private/confidential. The cost and downside is simply not worth it.

But if the possibility bothers someone all one need do is totally disable the system as posted above.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:23 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 711 Likes on 470 Posts

Bill
If you carry a smart phone, you are being tracked !!
Old 03-24-2019, 12:24 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

yeah, but tmobile lets a person buy a smart phone under a fake name.... so who are they tracking?
Old 03-24-2019, 12:35 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

No, when it is off it is off. When you don't pay the bill they send a signal to the system that shuts off the system. The only part that works is the one where you push the button and connects you to a sales agent. Nothing gets reported to anybody. In the grand scheme of things none of us are all that important that anybody gives a crap about what we are doing. True, they may do something online to try and steal our money but they are not interested in where we have been or are going.

I actually have OnStar active on all three of my vehicles and have it tied into my insurance so I can get my low mile discounts on each of them. OnStar reports the miles traveled each month and that is it. The insurance company doesn't get any other data.

Bill
And im not sure this is entirely true, for instance, most car company's "crash alert" monitoring system STILL calls you if you have been in a wreck, even when you are NOT subscribed. They do this as a liability to keep family members from suing them if their loved one dies, as they can argue "you guys should have called, you could have saved him, all you care about are profits, blah blah blah"

so enough of those cases got settled outside of court and now onstar and bmw assist etc, they all still call if you get into a wreck, and alert local police and rescue, even IF your service is expired and you choose not to pay.

MAYBE if you tell them to cut you off 100%, maybe they wont call when you wreck... but i have heard otherwise from a few sources who at least were not paying their bills, were not subscribed, and still received the phone call.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-24-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To OnStar 100% disablement?

Old 03-24-2019, 01:25 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

I must be out to lunch on this whole thing....why would or should I care whether or not OnStar is tracking me? The cell phone comment is absolutely spot on. I wish OnStar would have been around and tracking my 1991 Syclone. I bought it new in 1991 and it was stolen 4 months later with 14,000+ miles on it. Never got the truck back , but was paid by State Farm several thousand dollars more than I paid for the truck! Got the Typhoon after that....
Mikec7z (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 02:03 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

maybe he plans to do a solo cannon ball run across multiple states, and he does not want onstar to be able to cross reference which vette went from point a to b on that date, when the authorities come knocking.

or maybe he deals something,

none of my business, nor am i accusing him of the things above,

simply pointing out, onstar does have the ability to disable a car if the correct people give the order, and obviously track it.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:03 PM
demasterz
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

this one worked for me!! this is the only solution and it's easy
Mikec7z (03-24-2019)

Quick Reply: OnStar 100% disablement?