C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Just got back from the dragstrip and disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 02:00 PM
MVPJEFF106
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Just got back from the dragstrip and disappointed

Let me start off by saying I'm disappointed with performance at the Dragstrip but... not at the car. At the face I couldn't get it to hook for anything. I tried Launch Control. No Good. I tried leaving it in Sport Mode and brake on, just throttling it when the last yellow came on. No good. My trap speeds were all 121-126mph with ET's of 12.4-15.0. On the 15.0 run, car actually almost went sideways and had to let off throttle and then continue. That run I still achieved 121mph even after going a good distance before fully accelerating.

Any advice?

I do have a Z07. I was on the Pilot Sport Cup tires with approximately 4,000 miles on them. PSI was set at 25 in rear. Temps were 45-52 degrees and track was pretty sticky.

Should I get a set of wheels and drag radials for track events? If so, any suggestions on what will clear the Carbon Ceramic Brakes and what Drag Radials will fit?

Thanks! Eager to get into the 10's with this trap speed so high for the ET and I know there is more left in the car since I am losing distance when I have to let off to get traction.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:06 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Find and hire an expert or two, to teach you how to do the whole drapstrip deal in your car. Ask around the dragstrip for starters, next the Internet.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:09 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I hear launch mode sucks and feathering throttle is best for AUTO.
Heard some of the guys with quick times were in touring mode so the rear would squat a bit at launch.
45-52degrees sounds pretty cold. I get like no grip in those conditions. Did you do a burnout before?
Old 03-24-2019, 03:10 PM
MVPJEFF106
Racer

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Find and hire an expert or two, to teach you how to do the whole drapstrip deal in your car. Ask around the dragstrip for starters, next the Internet.

Thanks, but lack of experience at the drag strip isn’t my problem. I’ve been drag racing for over 20 years. Unfortunately, each time was with a manual car and never with an auto/street tires combo. I was disappointed from the other states times run by members here that got their cars to hook. I’m curious if anyone has had similar issues with the Z07 package and tires but success when switching to drag radials?
Old 03-24-2019, 03:11 PM
MVPJEFF106
Racer

Originally Posted by cyi1
I hear launch mode sucks and feathering throttle is best for AUTO.
Heard some of the guys with quick times were in touring mode so the rear would squat a bit at launch.
45-52degrees sounds pretty cold. I get like no grip in those conditions. Did you do a burnout before?
the temps were my worry as of last night but it was a charity event so I went anyway. This was my first time running the car so didn’t have huge expectations anyway although the higher traps with slow ET was dissapointing. I did do a quick burnout as not to completely smoke the tires but smoke was visible.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:47 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by MVPJEFF106
Let me start off by saying I'm disappointed with performance at the Dragstrip but... not at the car. At the face I couldn't get it to hook for anything. I tried Launch Control. No Good. I tried leaving it in Sport Mode and brake on, just throttling it when the last yellow came on. No good. My trap speeds were all 121-126mph with ET's of 12.4-15.0. On the 15.0 run, car actually almost went sideways and had to let off throttle and then continue. That run I still achieved 121mph even after going a good distance before fully accelerating.

Any advice?

I do have a Z07. I was on the Pilot Sport Cup tires with approximately 4,000 miles on them. PSI was set at 25 in rear. Temps were 45-52 degrees and track was pretty sticky.

Should I get a set of wheels and drag radials for track events? If so, any suggestions on what will clear the Carbon Ceramic Brakes and what Drag Radials will fit?

Thanks! Eager to get into the 10's with this trap speed so high for the ET and I know there is more left in the car since I am losing distance when I have to let off to get traction.
i am guessing you have an m7?

Have not had mine to the strip but would guess my m7 z with my level of experience I would be lucky to get to low 12’s at 120-122.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:01 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Forgot to mention taking off stage 3 aero on the Z07 package if you've got it installed. Opt for stage 2 for slightly better trap speeds. Stage 1 for the fastest if you're able to acquire it online and install it.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:03 PM
MVPJEFF106
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
i am guessing you have an m7?

Have not had mine to the strip but would guess my m7 z with my level of experience I would be lucky to get to low 12’s at 120-122.
sorry, forgot to mention, it’s the A8 Auto!
Old 03-24-2019, 04:05 PM
MVPJEFF106
Racer

Originally Posted by cyi1
Forgot to mention taking off stage 3 aero on the Z07 package if you've got it installed. Opt for stage 2 for slightly better trap speeds. Stage 1 for the fastest if you're able to acquire it online and install it.
trap speeds could have been several MPH quicker if I was able to start from the tree and continually increase speed without spinning and having to throttle back. I have another car I’m building for 1/4 mile racing so I want to keep the Stage 3 Aero for autocross events. I do want to be able to take this car to the track though and see why I can really run WITH traction.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:14 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by MVPJEFF106
sorry, forgot to mention, it’s the A8 Auto!
if your a8 hooked you should get mid 11’s at 128 pretty easy. With drag radials low 11’s maybe high tens with a proper burnout.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:23 PM
Faster5
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

It’s your tires. I had the same ones and could never get it to hook up then I went with Nitto nt05 and made all the difference.
The following users liked this post:
dar02081961 (03-26-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 04:27 PM
MVPJEFF106
Racer

Originally Posted by Faster5
It’s your tires. I had the same ones and could never get it to hook up then I went with Nitto nt05 and made all the difference.
thats what I’m thinking since nothing else makes sense other than “maybe” the temps but even as it warmed up I had same problem. Do you run them all the time or just for 1/4 mile?

Looking for best of both worlds. If it’s tire that I need, I can get set of wheels and drag radials for these events and keep the Pilot Sport Cups for Autocross racing and street. Not familiar with what options there are for these large carbon ceramic brakes as far as rims that will hold a good drag radial and what drag radials are having success on these.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:38 PM
GeorgeR_Zed06
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

That mph sounds pretty low to get 10's. Tires are the key when drag racing for time, you need a set of rear drag wheels with some good drag radials. It's all in your 60 foot short times, the rest depends on the DA and your mods.
MVPJEFF106 (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 07:24 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

On the pdr on a desolate old blacktop road I I've run 3.5 to 60
6.8 to 100
Never ran it out to full quarter but it is still in 10s on that crap road.

I have run. As quick as 3.3 on good blacktop and can run. 3.4 3.5 anywhere decent.
I have an A8 non Z07.i use track mode with Launch control engaged. It works amazing on the street.

The track you ran on was prepped like garbage or you weren't in groove or just not enough heat in track (still going back to the prep and lack of glue).

Your mph will come up big time when you can put power down. Probably 6 or 7mph imo.
MVPJEFF106 (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 08:03 PM
MVPJEFF106
Racer

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
On the pdr on a desolate old blacktop road I I've run 3.5 to 60
6.8 to 100
Never ran it out to full quarter but it is still in 10s on that crap road.

I have run. As quick as 3.3 on good blacktop and can run. 3.4 3.5 anywhere decent.
I have an A8 non Z07.i use track mode with Launch control engaged. It works amazing on the street.

The track you ran on was prepped like garbage or you weren't in groove or just not enough heat in track (still going back to the prep and lack of glue).

Your mph will come up big time when you can put power down. Probably 6 or 7mph imo.
That's a glimpse of hope. Judging the 126mph run when I had probably 200feet less of track to run, I would also assume a good more mph left in the bag. I'm chalking it up to cold temps, tires not heated up enough and not having enough tread left on them. Even on the street, the car gets squirrely if I gas it in a low gear.

This car is such a different animal than I'm used to with all of my previous cars.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:20 PM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 756 Likes on 513 Posts

Stock tires.... cold weather.... tires not heated enough.... lots of low rpm torque.... = bad 60’ time. Bad 60’ time is a wasted and bad pass. The mph is low for quite a few reasons. Every time you lift you are losing mph as well never mind ET. Get sticky tires and go back out on a prepped track in 65 degree + weather and have at it.
The following 2 users liked this post by 123sugey:
dar02081961 (03-26-2019), MVPJEFF106 (03-25-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 10:50 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

oddly enough the stock A8 takes no special tricks, they all hurt performance..

the computer protects the drivetrain from too much torque...

so what you want to do is set at a perfect idle, foot on the brake,

let go of the brake, roll easily but quickly to full throttle.

If you go to WOT too quickly then the car will close TB angle and protect its self from too much torque.

if you go to WOT a bit slower, the car will let you have full TB angle and not be worried about you harming the drivetrain.

Its all the the tune, both engine and transmission.

If you really want to be a rockstar and have the 1.3 60 foots at the dragstrip, then just know you will need to get your car tuned, and specifically, your transmission.

2nd thing, your rear caster...

get something like the DSC alignment done on the rear of the car... makes a night and day difference.

The cars exit the factory like a lottery when it comes to rear alignment. The guys who get lucky and have good caster in the back of the car, they think they are talented, meanwhile, your car wont hook up... has nothing to do with you, has everything to do with GM not seeming to have any kind of quality control on their rear caster settings.

I see you are in st lucie, there is a tire shop up there that has the caster tool. The other shop that has it is down here in west palm called Ernie Bello Motorsports. It takes them a few hours. (edit, i realized that was the other guy, not you, call around and ask for the caster tool for the rear of the vette, a shop will know if they have it or not, ask them specifically if they have that tool, if they seem clueless, call the next shop in jersey until you find one that does. If i were you, i would ask over in the DSC threads for an alignment shop in Jersey who has the tool, they will tell you)

May as well buy the Granatelli rear end links while you are at it, makes the alignment process much simpler.
https://www.granatellimotorsports.co...s-3070-28.html

I would bet a lot of money that your rear caster is off on your car as it currently sits. Its not you.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-24-2019 at 11:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Just got back from the dragstrip and disappointed

Old 03-24-2019, 10:53 PM
SLEEKVET
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by 123sugey
Stock tires.... cold weather.... tires not heated enough.... lots of low rpm torque.... = bad 60’ time. Bad 60’ time is a wasted and bad pass. The mph is low for quite a few reasons. Every time you lift you are losing mph as well never mind ET. Get sticky tires and go back out on a prepped track in 65 degree + weather and have at it.
Cold spinning wheels is what I would guess. I was on stock tires in warmer weather and ran 11.4 -11.5 all day long, spinning at the line (A8 no launch control). Just mashing the pedal and go....
Based on your mph, your times should be better so you are probably spinning at the line.
MVPJEFF106 (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 12:49 AM
Mike Jesse
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 192 Posts

The stock tires require an aggressive 3-4. sec. burnout to bring them up to temp.

Cold surface temps., and a lack of track prep will not help your efforts either.

I've been able to run pretty consistent 10.70's-10.80's with the long burnout and launching the car from an idle.

Having the car in either Touring or Sport doesn't seem to matter with mine. I also try to arrive at the track with less than 1/2 tank of gas.

Mine is not completely stock, as I've added the Mamo TB and BMS filter. Probably doesn't help a great deal.
MVPJEFF106 (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 10:34 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Jesse
The stock tires require an aggressive 3-4. sec. burnout to bring them up to temp.
I agree with the need for a longer burnout. Especially if the temperature is cold. Just barely heating them up is not good enough. You should be able to get into the high 10's with MPSS tires. Cups even quicker. Were there other cars similar to your running that night? If so, how were their times. Even if the car doesn't hook, your mph should be higher. An automatic is a lot easier to launch than a manual.

Last edited by 383vett; 03-25-2019 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Just got back from the dragstrip and disappointed