C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Hellcat and Z06

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 08:54 PM
SRTinNC
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was a fairly poor attempt, but I don’t believe they wanted to add any real development costs to a platform that’s so long in the tooth. That said, I’ll probably spring for a WB Charger. It looks like that may be announced shortly.

As for the ‘68, the fuel injected big block has been pulled and I have a 392 crate sitting here from Mopar. We’re in the process of dropping that and coil over suspension into the car. I drive the **** out of it (you’ll see it in a Lowe’s and Food Lion parking lot ever now and again) and I want something that we can take on a 1,500 mile trip and have no worries. I don’t believe in owning anything that you wouldn’t drive almost anywhere. I’ve had a few cars I was too afraid to drive and ended up feeling like an idiot. It’s like saving your wife for the next guy, completely brain dead. Go drive the damn thing, or sell it and buy a painting.

Regards,
John
The following users liked this post:
FLEXjs (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 10:50 PM
CamOnlyJabroni
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SRTinNC
It was a fairly poor attempt, but I don’t believe they wanted to add any real development costs to a platform that’s so long in the tooth. That said, I’ll probably spring for a WB Charger. It looks like that may be announced shortly.

As for the ‘68, the fuel injected big block has been pulled and I have a 392 crate sitting here from Mopar. We’re in the process of dropping that and coil over suspension into the car. I drive the **** out of it (you’ll see it in a Lowe’s and Food Lion parking lot ever now and again) and I want something that we can take on a 1,500 mile trip and have no worries. I don’t believe in owning anything that you wouldn’t drive almost anywhere. I’ve had a few cars I was too afraid to drive and ended up feeling like an idiot. It’s like saving your wife for the next guy, completely brain dead. Go drive the damn thing, or sell it and buy a painting.

Regards,
John
392’s are good motors. Mine pulls pretty good with FBO’s and E85. Still dialing in the tune. Even with 305’s out back on my Challenger it looks like the tires could be wider. I agree on that.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:50 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Flex,

I agree, although the Widebody (actually tacked on fender flares) and 305 width tires did help the appearance of the car. I always thought they looked under tire’d and kinda like Humpty Dumpty. Also didn’t help that I had one of the originals, a ‘71. Parking it beside a new one, just highlighted how big they have gotten. Same can’t be said for the Charger, since they are completely different vehicles 4 vs 2 doors, etc...).

Gorgeous cars. I had a '74 Challenger back in the day. If I remember correctly, it had a 360 in it. It wasn't very fast, but I liked it. What do they call they color on your new Charger? I like it.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:11 AM
probabilist
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

SRTinNC

I agree on the American cars--- I have not and will never buy foreign. Ford, Mopar and GM---its all good!!! It is amazing what we can buy. A hemi Road Runner was a great car but time and technology march on. That said the old Chargers and Road Runners look great.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:30 AM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 661 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
What do they call they color on your new Charger?
Destroyer Grey
Old 04-22-2019, 11:00 AM
SGT_G
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

I have both a 17Z M7 and a 16 hellcat charger. From a dead stop or low roll, the Z take off very quickly. My Z is now modded so it's not a fair comparison but I raced a buddy who has a 15Z A8 in the hellcat at a 50 roll. He put a car or so on me initially but by 120 I rolled past him pretty hard.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:09 PM
EvilKat
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I did not read everyone's responses to you. I only read the OP. I traded in my 2016 Hellcat Challenger that I modified for my 2017 Z06 2LT which is now modified as well. I loved the Hellcat performance. Hated the quality. Paint sucked terribly (spots where I could see the paint was so thin I could see the primer), the passenger window would not seal correctly (SCREAMED! at 130MPH and higher and FCA claimed nothing was wrong because they could not replicate it at 55mph), the supercharger bearing issue scared me but I didnt have that problem.

Comfort wise, it was great. Loved the sound of the SuperCharger Whine when I replaced the CAI for a Legmaker CAI.

Reason I traded it in as I was at the stage where I needed to either 1)- go Whipple, 2)- Go Full Race Gas, or 3)- Go Dedicated E85. We had done lower pulley, pinned crank, full ARH Exhaust, catch can, CAI, Dyno Tune, and I think a couple of other things that are fleeting my mind right now. My builder wanted me to run Q16 race gas (855 bucks for a 55 Gallon Drum is ridiculous), or go Full E-85 and there are not many e85 stations around here.

Bought the Z06 and did upper pulley, ARH 2 inch Long Tubes, ARH X pipe and stock cat back, MM Catch Can, CAI, NX Meth Kit, Dyno tune, flex fuel e-85. The vette is faster and has that wow factor more. I loved the Hellcats navigation system over the Vette, the back seat in Hellcat was nice for when I want to take family out now. So now I have to decide on who goes for a cruise with me. Love the fact the Z06 roof comes off (only option I didnt go for on the Hellcat was sun roof).

All in all I am thrilled with the swap. If I could afford both would I? Probably not as I dont see the need for two modern day fast cars (if one was a lets say first gen and the other modern then I could see wanting both).

I wish you well on having both. Both cars are great performers.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:26 PM
SRTinNC
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EvilKat, hate to hear you had those issues with your HC. I can honestly say I’ve had none of that with the three I’ve had. I did have a goofy uConnect screen and one rear ended that was changed out. It sounded like binding, could have been a lack of friction modifier, but the service manager just said “let’s put a new rear in it”, which sounded fine to me. I will say that the Widebody seemed to have the best paint of the three, but it wasn’t that the others were poor.

Regards,
John
Old 04-22-2019, 08:34 PM
convertiblecorvetteman
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am pleasantly surprised to see that I am not alone in my ownership of a Dodge and a Z06! While my Challenger is not technically a HC, I figured I would build my own by adding a Whipple to my existing 392. So the Challenger is the "family car" and the Z06 is for when the kids don't come along! And both are a blast! The only challenge is switching between GM and Dodge tuning since Dodge PCM's are very different than GM. Some great looking cars in this thread! Enjoy 'em!
malexand123 (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 11:53 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

Originally Posted by serpent
Id like to see a comparison against the charger hellcat. I know these do better than the challengers, also have a higher top end.
it's not even close.

my buddy's tuned huracan vs my other buddy's stock C7Z A8 (and I've never lost to that same Huracan from Any speed) ran a Hellcat charger from about 60. Ithe C7Z was a good 3 or 4 cars back. Before 100 Ithe A8 C7Z caught the charger and by 120 the C7Z had a good couple cars on him and was still blowing past.

Mind you the C7Z didn't even hit it when they did. The C7Z couldn't catch the Huracan which he was directly behind had the jump and 3 or 4 cars to start but C7Z closed on him and would've had they kept going but they were running out of safe abandoned real estate.

I can't speak for the M7 the gearing is tall in the M7 they are not as fast.

And then

This was within a few seconds

Already a car back and Lambo is being crept up on

This was end of pull. Closed in on Lambo about 2 cars from start of pull.

When they leave even the C7Z pulls it every time and the Lambo does not come around it.

Originally Posted by SGT_G
I have both a 17Z M7 and a 16 hellcat charger. From a dead stop or low roll, the Z take off very quickly. My Z is now modded so it's not a fair comparison but I raced a buddy who has a 15Z A8 in the hellcat at a 50 roll. He put a car or so on me initially but by 120 I rolled past him pretty hard.
Either your buddy can't drive or he has one slow C7Z.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 04-23-2019 at 12:36 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:37 AM
SGT_G
Pro

Not sure how you can't drive an A8 C7Z lol
Z0HS1CK (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 10:33 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,141 Posts

Not sure how you can't drive an A8 C7Z lol
It's especially easier once you hit the infamous 5th gear brick wall with those A8's lol

However tuned they can be monsters. Just not stock lol
Old 04-23-2019, 10:38 AM
Trackhawkz06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by probabilist
I have a 2018 Z06 with a 7 speed manual. I always wanted a Challenger Hellcat automatic and now have one on order--about 4 more weeks. Anyone else have both? I suspect my Vette will be a little quicker: 717HP vs 650HP but the Challenger is 4400 lbs and Vette 3600 lb.

My friend asked for any ideas on how to drive both at the same time......
I have a trackhawk (Jeep with hellcat motor) and a c7z06.... Its one of the best 1, 2 cars to have... I went with the trackhawk for awd, comfort, and the launch... which is ridiculous. I wanted a sitck so i went with the z07.

You can drive both by towing the vette with the hellcat. Thats what i do. Enjoy!
Old 04-23-2019, 10:45 AM
SGT_G
Pro

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
It's especially easier once you hit the infamous 5th gear brick wall with those A8's lol

However tuned they can be monsters. Just not stock lol
Agreed and the Z06 did jump out on my hellcat and held it to 110-120. Then I went by him like passing traffic lol.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:39 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

From the look of that pdr video the only way that hellcat would blow past that C7Z at any speed would be if that C7Z pulled the chute.

And that C7Z in the video has stage III aero. Front canards and center bridge up. Gained 2mph in quarter removing it. Imagine what a difference that makes above 130.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:42 AM
SGT_G
Pro

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
From the look of that pdr video the only way that hellcat would blow past that C7Z at any speed would be if that C7Z pulled the chute.

And that C7Z in the video has stage III aero. Front canards and center bridge up. Gained 2mph in quarter removing it. Imagine what a difference that makes above 130.
I know you want to believe that the C7Z can't be beat but stock to stock on a roll, the hellcat is really fast, especially up top.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:57 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

I know you want to believe that the C7Z can't be beat but stock to stock on a roll, the hellcat is really fast, especially up top.
I don't have to believe it. I live it.

But just to point out a couple others who have also witnessed this first hand and not internet folk law that the C7Z just cannot do a thing after the qtr mile. (Like my car vs a tuned Huracan and not coming around me)

and the above C7Z wa as a manual. Not the A8 which destroys the M7. Even with a great driver.

That video I put up doesn't even tell the whole story. That C7Z put bus lengths on the charger hellcat who was in it to win it. 1000 pounds plus is a lot to overcome and that HC is not a shaped like a potato chip which negates the drag if the C7Z. Especially I'm stage I aero. Don't believe the hype.

Here's the same outcome as race video I put up. same cars different people same result. HC gets walked. And never comes back up to 167mph.

I don't believe the C7Z is the be all end all
. Just get tired of the same bs. it's funny how many cars are supposed to be faster or above 130 start to pull awe way etc. Yet in my personal experience I have seen mone of that.

Does the rate of acceleration slow compared to 0 to 120? Yes. Does it slow to the point other similar cars pull away? Not that I've experienced.

Have another buddy has a full Bolton tuned Viper TA and my car slowly pulls him psst 140 before we let out. And he can drive.

A video or story here or there and the C7Z does nothing up top. Go research the 1/2 amf 1 mile events and compare speeds.

And I love how it surprises those that believed the same thing and they swear my is modded. My favorite part is telling and showing them it's not.

If you have the A8 C7Z and you roll race it. You start in "M" whatever gear then as soon as you go WOT you click the gear selector BACK into Drive so the car shifts bt itself... same reason so many C7ZR videos pop up with unexplainable defeats.

people trying to paddle shift is what causes these videos where the Z06 falls on it's face. Because they HAVEN'T FIGURED IT OUT and bang the limiter or shift too early or twice.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 04-23-2019 at 12:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Hellcat and Z06

Old 04-23-2019, 12:27 PM
CamOnlyJabroni
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Both are great cars for their intended purpose. That said, I don’t t believe any hype of a Hellcat being faster or A8’s being faster than manuals from rolls when the driver can shift handles. Maybe a C7Z heat soaked with 91 octane gets pulled up top.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:01 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,141 Posts

Off a roll, stock for stock, the Z should "always" win.

But you're right those hellcats are very very fast. For it's weight. It's the trans that helps them and the "shift schedule" as alejandro flores likes to say. Especially if you leave the trans in D and not shift with the paddles. I think that yields for better results.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:29 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 438 Likes on 235 Posts

Flex,

I agree, although the Widebody (actually tacked on fender flares) and 305 width tires did help the appearance of the car. I always thought they looked under tire’d and kinda like Humpty Dumpty. Also didn’t help that I had one of the originals, a ‘71. Parking it beside a new one, just highlighted how big they have gotten. Same can’t be said for the Charger, since they are completely different vehicles 4 vs 2 doors, etc...).

I love 69-72' Chargers. Every time I have went to buy one either somebody beat me to it or the owner wouldn't sell.

Quick Reply: Hellcat and Z06