C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Hellcat and Z06

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 09:49 PM
Muscles
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

I owned both for over a year (Hellcat charger and Z06/z07) and when it came time to get rid of one, I got rid of the Z06. It was a decent car but the little things about it started to wear thin after 4 years of ownership. The transmission (auto) is a complete POS, worst in its class. The lack of traction from the run flats, and how it wipped to the right when it broke lose. I found myself driving it less and less. The Charger has a lot more use daily than the Vette, I enjoyed the car immensely. Probably the longest I have ever owned a single car, but I moved on and I don't miss the Z06 one bit. Arguing over which is faster is not what I am in into, the car I have now is like driving a car made from the car gods. I am older now (40's) and fit, finish, style and quality all mean more to me than just raw (mostly unattainable) performance numbers.

Greg
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 11:11 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

yeah that hellcat interior is world class.. car is as old as my kid in college inside and out.. and there is no argument as to which one is faster.. just like there's no argument one is way more practical than the other.. for the toy car.. the special occasion and blast around the area for a while i could never imagine anyone owning both saying to themselves "yeah.. taking the hellcat for a spin" .vs "yeah taking the top off the vette and gonna zip around the mountain roads for a while" there's NOTHING like that feeling. and the hellcat isn't that.. if you I could only have one not the other? i would still choose the vette and get a beater pickup to daily. these are almost as opposite end of the spectrum as a Tesla and a Vette... both fast, one is the sports car, the other can do everything else better..
Old 06-22-2019, 11:23 PM
Muscles
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
yeah that hellcat interior is world class.. car is as old as my kid in college inside and out.. and there is no argument as to which one is faster.. just like there's no argument one is way more practical than the other.. for the toy car.. the special occasion and blast around the area for a while i could never imagine anyone owning both saying to themselves "yeah.. taking the hellcat for a spin" .vs "yeah taking the top off the vette and gonna zip around the mountain roads for a while" there's NOTHING like that feeling. and the hellcat isn't that.. if you I could only have one not the other? i would still choose the vette and get a beater pickup to daily. these are almost as opposite end of the spectrum as a Tesla and a Vette... both fast, one is the sports car, the other can do everything else better..
I wasn't speaking of the Hellcat's interior. I bought another sports car to replace the Vette, not going into talking about it because this isn't the right forum. Besides its double the cost of the Z06, so no point in really comparing it. The Z06 is a faster car, but I am faster in the new car. The Hellcat is just a cool car that you can drive fast around town and not worry about bottoming out or bending a rim. It's 9/10 the Vette in a straight line. I think I took the top off the Z06 like 5 times the entire 4 years I had the Vette, what a PITA that is, no thanks. Definitely not worth all the squeaks, would much rather had a fixed roof that didn't sound like I was eating rice krispies every time I went over a speed bump. I had fun with it, and now someone else will do the same.

G
Harbgrogan (06-23-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 11:35 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

i took the top off my Z06 2 times this weekend alone. no squeaks or rattles. guess it's hit or miss. and i hear you... the top definitely doesn't squeak or rattle in the Luxo-barge or probably the new sports car you bought.. unless it's koenigsegg, i'm sure it doesn't have that convenience as well. idc who comes on this board and tries to belittle the best performance bargain the sports car world has just about ever seen.. you cannot beat what you get with a C7 Z06 for the price.. and it's not a xomprimise, as least not in my book. i have owned this car for 3 years.. it's not perfect but it's faster than a Huracan.. as fast as my buddy's Redeye Hellcat, faster then a tuned F12 and the feeling when you're in it whipping around cannot be replaced by anything Mopar has to offer (anymore).

Owning both would be grand.. but for only one to remain? never a question for me.. but then again we've had two totally different ownership experiences.
The following 2 users liked this post by 23/C8Z:
BMadden (06-23-2019), Savoy2001 (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 06:37 AM
Savoy2001
Melting Slicks

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,108 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
i took the top off my Z06 2 times this weekend alone. no squeaks or rattles. guess it's hit or miss. and i hear you... the top definitely doesn't squeak or rattle in the Luxo-barge or probably the new sports car you bought.. unless it's koenigsegg, i'm sure it doesn't have that convenience as well. idc who comes on this board and tries to belittle the best performance bargain the sports car world has just about ever seen.. you cannot beat what you get with a C7 Z06 for the price.. and it's not a xomprimise, as least not in my book. i have owned this car for 3 years.. it's not perfect but it's faster than a Huracan.. as fast as my buddy's Redeye Hellcat, faster then a tuned F12 and the feeling when you're in it whipping around cannot be replaced by anything Mopar has to offer (anymore).

Owning both would be grand.. but for only one to remain? never a question for me.. but then again we've had two totally different ownership experiences.
This I agree with 100%. Everything. The hellcat is cool but it's a big heavy car and in no way compares to the complete sports car (supercar) package the Z06 is. Sorry but it doesn't. As far as the poster a few posts up who bought something else double the price. I'm gonna guess it's probably an amg something. Like the gt vert, forgot the name. So ya very wise not to compare since that car is way more expensive than a Z and you should be getting Superior fit and finish that's what you paid for. Common sense.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:27 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,142 Posts

Originally Posted by Muscles
I owned both for over a year (Hellcat charger and Z06/z07) and when it came time to get rid of one, I got rid of the Z06. It was a decent car but the little things about it started to wear thin after 4 years of ownership. The transmission (auto) is a complete POS, worst in its class. The lack of traction from the run flats, and how it wipped to the right when it broke lose. I found myself driving it less and less. The Charger has a lot more use daily than the Vette, I enjoyed the car immensely. Probably the longest I have ever owned a single car, but I moved on and I don't miss the Z06 one bit. Arguing over which is faster is not what I am in into, the car I have now is like driving a car made from the car gods. I am older now (40's) and fit, finish, style and quality all mean more to me than just raw (mostly unattainable) performance numbers.

Greg
Bro don't waste your time with the other guy. He is one dimensional, a typical corvette owner.

A8 is trash and that's been confirmed, even by some A8 owners (as you even stated). The HC is a more livable car to deal with on a daily. The Z looks better but both interiors are on par. I think the infotainment system in the HC is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than what we get in the Z. The Z is like super nintendo whereas the HC already is on xbox level.

And the ZF is lights out better than the GM A8.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:28 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

If it was or is that AMG... personally, if I could justify spending that much i probably would as i love that car and am very impressed by everything AMG (the real not the rebadged regular models) offers. They are top notch but you are paying for that lol..

We get hung up on speed alot. And like others have said, if you cant have a family hauler and a sports car? I would also be fine with a hellcat charger or trackhawk. But luckily I (and I'm sure plenty of other Z06 owners) am fortunate that I dont have to compromise... because being 9/10s isn't what you buy cars like these for. Same reason I wouldn't bother with a GS. I would do a stingray instead because it would irk me looking but not playing the part (after having driven and owned these Z06s.)..

almost got me to do it man...but I worry if I read it you'll get me to respond lol

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 06-23-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:01 AM
probabilist
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just found this--although old it might be interesting to some.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...f-gas-feature/ Little summary below

Fun fact: You can do 83 consecutive quarter-miles before the 707-hp Challenger Hellcat runs out of gas. This feat took us exactly two hours and seven minutes, which is a pass every minute and a half. Assistant technical editor David Beard took every run, dipping into the 11s 35 times while averaging 12.1 seconds at 126 mph

Now me:
Also it hit a maximum trap speed of 128. Think about that 83 1/4 runs for over 2 hours and the beast ran great. I am sure you could do this with our Z06s but amazing that someone did either one!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Z0HS1CK (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 10:13 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by probabilist

Fun fact: You can do 83 consecutive quarter-miles before the 707-hp Challenger Hellcat runs out of gas. This feat took us exactly two hours and seven minutes, which is a pass every minute and a half. Assistant technical editor David Beard took every run, dipping into the 11s 35 times while averaging 12.1 seconds at 126 mph

Now me:
Also it hit a maximum trap speed of 128. Think about that 83 1/4 runs for over 2 hours and the beast ran great. I am sure you could do this with our Z06s but amazing that someone did either one!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah. Averaging 12.1 in the 1/4 mile w/ a 707hp "sports car" is fantastic. What a feat. Amazing. So fast.

Its supposed to be a 1/4 mile "king" & has 707hp & averages 12.1 in the 1/4

King of what? Underachieving? Mediocrity? Obesity? One dimension design team? lol
Savoy2001 (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 10:57 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by probabilist

Now me:

Yup!!

The hellcat is pretty stout, even under extreme conditions. That's why I said it's right there with the z06.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:59 PM
probabilist
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Some pictures of the 'orange beast'

Old 06-27-2019, 06:49 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Sick!!!

How amazing is that ZF though??

It's crazy how almost 1000lbs heavier, the HC can still run with the Z. That's why if you own both, you have the perfect garage!!

Both evenly matched ground ripping machines! haha
Old 06-27-2019, 08:33 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
Sick!!!

It's crazy how almost 1000lbs heavier, the HC can still run with the Z. That's why if you own both, you have the perfect garage!!
I was talking to a buddy last night at a cruise night who has a Hellcat Challenger Redeye and a ZL1 1LE Camaro. He said the Challenger rides like a Cadillac compared to the Camaro and is much more comfortable. He also said the Challenger is faster.
Z0HS1CK (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 08:52 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
Yeah. Averaging 12.1 in the 1/4 mile w/ a 707hp "sports car" is fantastic. What a feat. Amazing. So fast.

Its supposed to be a 1/4 mile "king" & has 707hp & averages 12.1 in the 1/4

King of what? Underachieving? Mediocrity? Obesity? One dimension design team? lol
Its called hot lapping. 80+ back to back quarter miles averaging 12.1 at 128 is very good. Car had to be an automatic. You couldn’t do this in a manual in a corvette or a manual trans hellcat.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:03 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
Its called hot lapping. 80+ back to back quarter miles averaging 12.1 at 128 is very good. Car had to be an automatic. You couldn’t do this in a manual in a corvette or a manual trans hellcat.
They wouldn't be able to do hot lapping in an auto Z either because it'll overheat!!! LMAO.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:05 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I was talking to a buddy last night at a cruise night who has a Hellcat Challenger Redeye and a ZL1 1LE Camaro. He said the Challenger rides like a Cadillac compared to the Camaro and is much more comfortable. He also said the Challenger is faster.
I am in such a pickle now on what toy to get next. I just saw pics of the widebody hellcat charger. And i want one...............now lol

The redeye is no joke. The dodge power houses are a god send.

if it wasn't for the TERRIBLE visiblity, i'd think about a camaro SS for a daily. But the car is a tank from a visibility point of view so there goes that.

I'd pick the challenger redeye over the ZL1 9 times out of 10.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:06 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Hey Rob didn't you have a C6 GS in that color?

it was orange wasn't it?

what color Z06 do you have? or did you sell that?

Get notified of new replies

To Hellcat and Z06

Old 06-27-2019, 09:11 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

See that pic above? I deem that bad a**. Not that tank pictured a few posts up. Maybe just me?

That Hellcat does nothing for me. I'm sorry. Feel like I'm looking at something that came out 10yrs ago and was dated even then.

Just different worlds I guess. The mustang and Camaro destroy the challenger in the looks department imo.
Harbgrogan (06-28-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 09:19 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Whether this is germane to the latest comments or not, I had a challenge from a Challenger Hellcat last evening on my way home. I used to own a Challenger Hellcat, M6 transmission and I could describe that car in one word....vicious. This guy yesterday had the ZF transmission in his Hellcat (I could hear it snap off the shifts before we raced!) which as most have said already, and I completely agree, is a way better transmission than the A8 in the Z06 (what I currently have). We slowed to about 30-40 mph and we went from there. I never went to manual paddle shifts, just nailed it in "D". Never saw the guy, I pulled in front of him, immediately, but I could here that Hellcat whine....love that sound! Only went to about 130 mph, stayed in front of him the whole way, probably about one full car length. Not a lot of skill involved, just floored it and won.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:47 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

That is pretty much what was stated until some others couldn't accept that reality.

1 car length difference up to 130mph IS RIGHT THERE LMAO.

I keep saying that. I keep saying the ZF is a better auto than the GM A8. And people don't wanna accept that reality.

So now we can finally end this discussion.

HC and Z are about even, Z being barely faster. Looks better.

But HC, for it's weight, has a better auto trans, more durable, more practical (so to speak), and still fast.

That HC charger widebody though. My god. They already look menacing narrow body. Now dodge gave it steroids. haha. It will terrorize the streets.

Quick Reply: Hellcat and Z06