C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

The top reason to keep your C7 over a C8

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 02:29 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,193 Likes on 2,140 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroit_Bill
Wow this has gone off the rails.

I will chime in on one point. I considered getting a 911 Turbo (991) used vs the Z06. I wanted a 911 for a very long time. Teenager dreaming type of thing. I did buy a 911S (991) new and had it for a few years. It was disappointing. Was the quality there? Yes, Did it have good engineering? Yes. But it had no soul, it was bla to drive. I was shocked when I finally drew the conclusion that the car was a disappointment. The Turbo is certainly faster, all wheel drive helps getting the power to the ground. BUT the turbo's quiet the exhaust to an unacceptable degree and diminish the experience in addition to lacking soul. I realize this all sounds odd and like BS but that is what I experienced. I took a big hit to get out of the car also.

A side note, I got a manual in the Z06. I was going to get a manual in the Porsche. The PDK is a very good transmission, amazing actually. It shifts so fast and so hard it is just better. I got the 911S with PDK (dual clutch transmission). If I could have gotten a PDK level transmission in the Z06 I would have.
Thank you for your input. Very well said and mature enough, without sounding biased for either car. So glad you posted that. I wish others can follow your footsteps.

And i put in bold exactly what people needed to hear. That's 2 porsche owners, that chimed in this thread, basically agreeing with what i said lol.

I do agree on the soul part. I also love the corvette, because it's a V8. You just can't go wrong with that. The sound alone is what everyone needs to experience. Even those into japanese cars. The 6cyl in the 911 is also addicting, but it's a more european (durr lol) and exotic sounding. Also great, but we live in america, so we naturally lean towards the v8 world.

I do agree if the Z came with an auto like a PDK, or even a trans like the ZF found in the hellcats, bentley etc, i would be owning an auto Z right now.

But GM didn't do that, they wanted to give the auto Z's 2 faults. Overheating, and a terrible transmission lol

So i got the manual instead. There's hope though becuase the C8 will conquer this fault with the DCT.

Can't wait for july 18!! LOL
Old 04-23-2019, 02:44 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Gee Venom
Which extended warranty company u went with?
Fidelity. They have been in business over 40 years so I trust them. I have the platinum one which is basically the same as GM's 3 years/36k

http://www.fidelitywarrantyservices....cle-protection
The following 2 users liked this post by Zo62018A8:
Gee Venom (04-23-2019), JerriVette (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 02:45 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 294 Posts

Top reason I'll keep my C7 Z06 over a C8 ME - There's no where to put my wheelchair except in the front seat of a ME car... With the C7 (and previous generations), there's plenty of space behind the seats in the back and still some room for luggage for road trips.

Sure hope GM continues to make a front-engine Corvette as well but it doesn't look promising.
The following 2 users liked this post by AaronZ51:
JerriVette (04-23-2019), Z0HS1CK (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 07:39 PM
SuperdadZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 246 Posts

Believe it or not this is a CORVETTE FORUM! We are all entitled to our opinions and to make decisions that will leave us happy. I drove multiple cars before buying my 19 Z06 Vert M7 including several Porsche 911 Targas and a 911 Turbo. I am so thrilled with my Z06 and know that a 911 would not have done it for me. If some people prefer a 911 I can see why as I owned one for 10 years but to read all the 911 rhetoric on thread after thread from this troll is pure folly. No one should waste their time engaging this kid and he should spend all his time on the Porsche forum where he will feel right at home.
The following 2 users liked this post by SuperdadZ06:
JerriVette (04-23-2019), Road machine (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 08:11 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by AaronZ51
Top reason I'll keep my C7 Z06 over a C8 ME - There's no where to put my wheelchair except in the front seat of a ME car... With the C7 (and previous generations), there's plenty of space behind the seats in the back and still some room for luggage for road trips.

Sure hope GM continues to make a front-engine Corvette as well but it doesn't look promising.
So if you didn't have a wheelchair you'd consider getting the C8??

And btw, there are some "unfortunate" porsche owners on the porsche forum. Some of them have disabilities but they are still able to enjoy their 911 turbos.

I forget the guys name, Maybe @Boba Fett remembers? What's the dudes name again? He has a sick 911 turbo too. I think it's modified.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:11 PM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 661 Likes on 318 Posts

I dunno how this turned into a Porsche vs Corvette thread but.....

Never liked the look of them.

Don't like the price of them.

Got nothing to do with a C7 vs C8 though......
The following 2 users liked this post by FLEXjs:
Road machine (04-24-2019), tzoid9 (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 10:31 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

This is funny how this is still going on about the Porsche’s. So even if you buy that $160000 car you will still need to have it paint corrected.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:50 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by FLEXjs
I dunno how this turned into a Porsche vs Corvette thread but.....

Never liked the look of them.

Don't like the price of them.

Got nothing to do with a C7 vs C8 though......
Many of these threads are hijacked by Porsche humpers. They all seem to have a set of glass *****. The C8 certainly will not make their lives any easier. This car is their worst nightmare and it is soon to be here in grand fashion. I'm sure we will hear quite a bit more of their BS about seat stitching, build quality, and the white glove treatment one gets while being rear ended in one of their "fit for a King" service departments.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 11:14 PM
Getyup
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Getyup
I thought RobG wanted a 911Turbo? My Z06 is paid for so that is clearly the number one reason to keep it over the C8. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t trade it if the C8 blew me away. Like most I would wait for the Z06 version to show up.
Sorry guys it’s my fault this turned into Corvette vs Porsche.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:21 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
So if you didn't have a wheelchair you'd consider getting the C8??

And btw, there are some "unfortunate" porsche owners on the porsche forum. Some of them have disabilities but they are still able to enjoy their 911 turbos.

I forget the guys name, Maybe @Boba Fett remembers? What's the dudes name again? He has a sick 911 turbo too. I think it's modified.
Not sure - I'm not usually an "early adopter" of new vehicles. I LOVE my Z06 and have it set up just the way I want; that being said, I can't wait to see the new C8!
Old 04-23-2019, 11:43 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,096 Likes on 1,732 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

My answer is simple I like sports cars but I do not like EXOTIC sports cars and that is where the C8 has gone.

Last edited by Always Red Dave; 04-23-2019 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:58 PM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
My answer is simple I like sports cars but I do not like EXOTIC sports cars and that is where the C8 has gone.
well, do not worry as I doubt anyone will call the c8 exotic. I look forward to seeing the track numbers on the C8 performance versions to prove to all that the switch was worth it. I am sure someone will come out with a body kit to extend your front bumper and add some round tail lights for everyone that gets stuck in the past.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:24 AM
Stripeknight
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

WAIT... WUT... I was told the new C8 had ROUND tail lights to fix the blasphemy that was the non round C7 headlights...
Old 04-24-2019, 10:31 AM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Stripeknight
WAIT... WUT... I was told the new C8 had ROUND tail lights to fix the blasphemy that was the non round C7 headlights...
Old 04-24-2019, 11:08 AM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by d16dcoe45
The polar moment of inertia is much lower in a true mid-engine car. When Lotus(?) showed up at Indianapolis is 1961 a mid-engine car, they didn't win but within 4 years 95% of the qualifying grid was mid engine. It simply works better on a track.
The C7 is a front mid-engine car, not mid-engine in the current use of the term, and if Corvette TRULY wants to compete with the best performance production cars in the world, it CANNOT have the engine in the front any longer.
I completely understand the moment of inertia and everything being said about the rear mid engine C8, but none of us know how this car is actually configured. Remember that the only part of the drive train in front of the driver in the C7, is the motor. The trans is in back, so GM engineers have been pushing the weight back now for 3 generations. But I am not trying to say, and have not said once that the C8 will not be better.....I am only saying that we will see when it is revealed. In the mean time it is just a guessing game.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:39 AM
Road machine
Safety Car

lol the saddest thing to witness is pretending to be someone you're not and pretending to own something you don't have.

You lost me at "many of us could buy 20 new porsche turbos for cash today". I know you were joking about that, and even if you weren't, couldn't be a more blatant lie.

It's like i'm reading the facebook posts from people complaining about the C8. "Oh it's euro trash, it's a wannabe exotic. I had an R8, and a 911 turbo, and an NSX but i would never buy this". Then i go to his profile and he has a pic of him standing next to his ford explorer.

Let's be real. We all own corvettes because we can't afford anything greater. With the exception of a few here, who i believe one guy has a lambo. So i would value his thoughts and opinions on this matter, not anyone here.

And weren't you shopping for a C7 for the past 3 years? You talk about it constantly, saying you're waiting, you're crunching numbers, you're shopping. But you haven't bought a damn thing.

So it looks like i'm not the broke one lol. Continue to save for your new C7 that hopefully you'll finally buy. Maybe at that time when you finally do, it doesn't even matter because the C8Z will be around. And you fall short, behind in the pack..........again.

I wish you well in your journey to find what life is truly about and have confidence over time you will learn a more appropriate value system.

As I have stated many times, I have owned many other cars. BMW M3, MB 550 CLK, and even a Porch 911, among others. I could certainly buy any of the super cars out there if I chose, but I chose to buy Corvettes now. Your problem is that you belittle what you claim to have, but we all know you are full of ****. All you ever do is bash Corvettes while building up Porch. We all know you are just a sad little Porch owner who hates the fact that Corvettes pass him all day at the track. We all know that you wish your Porch was as fast, as well engineered and as forward thinking as a Corvette, but it's not. It is a 80 year old design with a few tweaks here and there to make it somewhat modern, and they charge you a fortune because they know you are too loyal and stupid to question the outrageous price tag. Sure, back in the 40s it was cutting edge.....and that is when Porsche was a well engineered car. It won over lots of people and those people engrained into their kids that porsche was the best engineered car in the world. But just as those people grew old and died so to did Porsche's engineering prowess. VW which owns Porsche just works toward being the largest car manufacturer in the world. And they do it not by engineering the best cars but by cheating, lying and cutting corners. It is what they do, and the proof is the Diesel fiasco which may well end the company. They told all the fools like you that they had engineered a new system that ran efficiently and did not pollute the air, but they did no such thing, they just put in a cheat device. It is how the VW executives have pushed to compete. Not by new innovation but by trading on a mythical lie that they are the best engineers. That was true once, but even then, good old American ingenuity defeated them and took the best they had for ourselves.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 11:48 AM
Road machine
Safety Car

The thread title tells the story.

It has insecurity written all over it LOL.

No one wants to admit that. The freaking C8 didn't even debut yet, as we still have 3 more months and all the C7 owners are panicking, throwing in their piece already on why they shouldn't upgrade yet lol
You must not only be a porch owner but a German immigrant as well, since you obviously cannot understand the English language. No body is panicking except you. The only thing C7 owners are saying is that they will keep their cars for this reason or that or that they will see what the C8 brings. But even as you have said, the car has not been revealed, yet you claim it will be far superior and way better and will make the C7 look like a piece of ****. But you just said that the C8 has not been revealed....you know nothing John Snow, about the C8 or the C7. You come here to **** people off. Congrats you succeeded. Now go away.
The following 2 users liked this post by Road machine:
JerriVette (04-24-2019), mjross (04-24-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To The top reason to keep your C7 over a C8

Old 04-24-2019, 11:54 AM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm not turning into a C8 owner. I'm hoping the thing is a dud. I'm thinking that if it is a dud, the value of mine might actually go up enough to justify dumping it for something else. As it is now, it'll end up in my estate and someone else can dump it for next to nothing.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:15 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by AaronZ51
Not sure - I'm not usually an "early adopter" of new vehicles. I LOVE my Z06 and have it set up just the way I want; that being said, I can't wait to see the new C8!
Me neither. I am not even interested in a base c8 I just wanna see what it has to offer so I know to wait for the z version or zora or whatever they call it.

But I'm not blind so when I see the constant threads about the c8, in the c7 section, talking to current c7 owners, then yes it does look like they're panicking so they need a group reassurance to help them with their insecurity lol

But hey let's hope it's a bust so the c7 can stick around a bit more right??? Lol

Wrong, c8 will be epic. I'm gonna play the lotto numbers 0718 pick 4. I'll play it 19 times too lol

071819 haha
Old 04-24-2019, 02:15 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by RegnaR
well, do not worry as I doubt anyone will call the c8 exotic. I look forward to seeing the track numbers on the C8 performance versions to prove to all that the switch was worth it. I am sure someone will come out with a body kit to extend your front bumper and add some round tail lights for everyone that gets stuck in the past.
Agree, but many believe their C5 in an exotic collector car, they are all very RARE. lol

Quick Reply: The top reason to keep your C7 over a C8