C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

The top reason to keep your C7 over a C8

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 02:19 PM
serpent
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Monkey D. Luffy
#1 reason I'm not buying a C8....The Z06 is paid for!
Lol, that only means a nice down payment for the C8Z when the time comes!
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 03:21 PM
Scoobydoobydoo
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
An FE corvette with massive power will be a handful to control if operated to its limit.

A 50/50 car isnt anymore when the car is accelerating.

An ME will have better balance and will be more controllable when the power is up there. That's why a lot of the supercars are mid engine. Balance. No matter where the weight is shifted to during aggressive driving.
Originally Posted by serpent
the C8 wont have 50/50 weight distribution. It will have a weight bias towards the rear which is what you want anyways in a performance car. A lot of these doubters live under a rock. Whats funny is even the top fuel cars have their engines behind the driver. I think the only time there is an advantage of having an engine in the front is for rally racing.
All of the fastest cars for road course racing and endurance racing are mid engine cars (F1 and Lemans prototype racecars). Hell even the 1 million plus hyper cars have their engines in the back. This is a natural progression if you want to remain competitive.

Next thing people are going to be bitching about turbos

edit: btw, keep your c7z, it is the last front engine vette. I would only trade in if the c8z is amazing (it probably will be, GM does not **** around). I wonder if we'll ever get a c6z leap. That car punched way above its weight. Still relevant even today.
Seems as though there are a lot of unkowns for us to be labeling the C8 the greatest Corvette ever.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:39 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,141 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoobydoobydoo
Seems as though there are a lot of unkowns for us to be labeling the C8 the greatest Corvette ever.
Ironic.

And everyone who makes claims belittling the c8 when there are a lot of unknowns is just as bad.

The difference is we already know what the c7 platform was capable of.

The c8? Theres potential to be the greatest. And its headed that way if gm did this right.

Enjoy your c7. Because I'll see mostly all of you in the c8 section in a couple of years lol
Old 04-17-2019, 03:46 PM
Chonger
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

C8 Z06 > C7 Z06 > Base C8. For me it's Z06 or bust........LOL
The following 2 users liked this post by Chonger:
tzoid9 (04-17-2019), Z0HS1CK (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 03:55 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

This will be interesting to see how many guys give up there C7 Z06 for the C8 especially if you have no car payments. I’m all for not having car payments. Let’s see how many dealers are going to give you a good deal on your trade with this new model.
ptalar (04-18-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 03:59 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by Chonger
C8 Z06 > C7 Z06 > Base C8. For me it's Z06 or bust........LOL
Of course. The big idea isn't giving up our z's for a c8 base. We just wanna see what the c8 looks like because we know the c8z will look and perform even better.

That's what we're, or at least what I'm getting at.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:59 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Right now my 3 reasons for keeping my 2019 Z06 at least until more is known for sure about the C8 are:
650hp
Convertible
M7
SuperdadZ06 (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 04:24 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

1. C8's aren't revealed yet.

once that is solved, all of our opinions will be more accurate.

Right now, who knows.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:36 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

As much as I love my current C7 Z06, I will be happy to move on to a C8 Z06. It will be better in every way. To me, the newer Corvettes are disposable. They depreciate rapidly, get better with each generation and are a blast to drive. My old Corvettes, C1, C2 will always be in my garage. For what they are, they are fun to drive and don't depreciate.
Z0HS1CK (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 04:47 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by capevettes
As much as I love my current C7 Z06, I will be happy to move on to a C8 Z06. It will be better in every way. To me, the newer Corvettes are disposable. They depreciate rapidly, get better with each generation and are a blast to drive. My old Corvettes, C1, C2 will always be in my garage. For what they are, they are fun to drive and don't depreciate.
It's obviously ok and normal to love the car you own.

But people develop a STRONG attachment to their cars that they blind everything else outside of it. It's almost brainwashing yourself.

Cars get better each year, and in this case, each generation.

You can love and enjoy your C7Z. But it's senseless to even think the C8Z (or whatever model it's called) is not going to be better. People here constantly brainwash themselves and it's affecting their logic, so nothing gets through their brain. It's only what they wanna think because they're posting with their feelings because they're attached to the car they currently own.

It's all psychology. People hate change. But change is almost ALL THE TIME, better for you.
capevettes (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 05:30 PM
flynbulldog
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I'm not going to say that the C8 isnt going to be a fantastic car - it may well be and we will learn that in the next few years. Heck, I may even want to own one someday. But what I will say is that the C7 will forever be the pinnacle of the original layout, front engine Corvettes. For me that is what a Corvette is and will always be. For me this is the end of the line for Corvette. Only the name will carry on in a new and very different car. So the FE lineage ends after 66 years and those of us who own the C7 have the ultimate of that line. The ultimate Corvette!

I feel really good about my C7 because there will never be another, better version of the FE Corvette

Last edited by flynbulldog; 04-18-2019 at 09:12 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by flynbulldog:
1950silverstreak (04-17-2019), 2vettefamily (04-18-2019), DonBC6 (04-19-2019), Gee Venom (04-19-2019), NineVettes (04-18-2019), Panth3r (04-23-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-17-2019, 05:40 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Monkey D. Luffy
#1 reason I'm not buying a C8....The Z06 is paid for!

thats a rational amd honest statement.

you cant argue with this.

eventually though as time marches on....most or I should say a lot of previous generation corvettes even the mighty c7 z06 owners will go for the c8...

im not sure if it will be the standard model c8 or the upcoming high hp versions but most corvette enthusiasts will at some point purchase again...

that said...i appreciate your response...no matter how much money you have....the reality is you cant help but lose money if you are always chasing the latest and greatest....
Old 04-17-2019, 05:43 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by flynbulldog
I'm not going to say that the C8 isnt going to be a fantastic car - it may well be and we will learn that in the next few years. Heck, I may even want to own one someday. But what I will say is that the C7 will forever be the pinnacle of the original layout, front engine Corvettes. For me that is what a Corvette is and will always be. For me this is the end of the line for Corvette and the name will carry on in a new and very different car. So the FE lineage ends after 66 years and those of us who own the C7 have the ultimate of that line. The ultimate Corvette!

I feel really good about my C7 Z06 because there will never be another, better version of the FE Corvette
But if you think about it, the ultimate C7 is the ZR1. Not the flawed z06 lol

The z06 is just a better bang for buck. But the ZR1 is the COMPLETE machine. The perfect C7.
serpent (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 05:53 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
thats a rational amd honest statement.

you cant argue with this.

eventually though as time marches on....most or I should say a lot of previous generation corvettes even the mighty c7 z06 owners will go for the c8...

im not sure if it will be the standard model c8 or the upcoming high hp versions but most corvette enthusiasts will at some point purchase again...

that said...i appreciate your response...no matter how much money you have....the reality is you cant help but lose money if you are always chasing the latest and greatest....
Oh don't get me wrong I'm sure by the time the C8 Z06 comes out I'll want one so bad I can taste it, but by then I'll be 1 - 2 years away from retirement and another $100k (I'm talking Z06 here NOT the base model) for a new toy will just be out of the question for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Monkey D. Luffy:
Panth3r (04-23-2019), ptalar (04-18-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 06:56 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

I will probably end up with a C8Z due to lack of choice for the following reasons.

1. I am an American car guy.
2. I am a Chevy guy (specifically small block Chevy V8 guy).
3. I am a Corvette guy.
4. I do mostly all of the maintenance on all of my cars.
5. I put over 15k miles a year on my Vette's.

However the simple fact is the mid-engine design is not the design for the everyday American's daily activities. It’s a design for exotics and weekend racing.

Since its beginnings the Corvette has filled a niche. The Porsche 911 has filled a similar niche but different. The design for both has evolved and has been competitive with the best in the world for over 60 years. Both are said to be flawed because they are not considered by snobs to be mid-engine designs even though technically the Corvette is.

Supposedly the mid-engine design is superior. Perhaps it is, perhaps it isn’t.
What we do know is currently and over the past 60 years there haven't been many mid-engine street going designs that have totally dominated Corvette or Porsche for any given year unless they had/have a superior power to weight ratio. And for recent years we have to add the Viper and the Mercedes AMG GT R to that mix as well.

The fact is for street legal cars the other configurations have held their own over the years. Just as the mid-engine cars evolved the other configurations evolved and got better as well.

This brings me to my point. I know mid-engine is technically the best layout for a car. However I don’t want a mid-engine car. Or a rear engine car. I don’t like the configurations. They are not practical for my needs. Corvettes have met my needs of both performance and practicality for 25 years. I can throw loads of cargo in the back, take the top off and put it on top of all that stuff, stop at the store on the way home and pick up a bunch of grocery. I can't do that in any other sport car.

So you see not everyone wants a mid-engine sports car. When the C8 comes out, there will be one less choice for folks like me. When in fact the C8 should have been in addition to the current configuration offering. An additional layout for us Vette folks while maintaining the original configuration. The Viper is already gone and never was all that practical as a daily driver anyway. But at least it was American and it wasn’t mid-engine.

I never understood why when it comes to sport cars, Americans are so quick to dismiss their achievements. Corvettes have competed with the best in the world for over 65 years. We've won some and lost some. We have had good years and not so good years, just like every other sports car platform and manufacture on the planet. For its time here the Viper has done so as well.

Just imagine how the world would turn upside down if Porsche said "you know what! The rear engine layout is not as good as the mid-engine layout so we are going to change the 911 platform to mid-engine!". Ponder that for an hour or two. Yea better not even go there lest there be hell to pay.

911 drivers know the layout is flawed. They don’t give a ****. They expect the engineers to continually improve the design and they live with it knowing in the hands of a good driver it can hold its own against anything in the world....with flaws and all.

Corvettes are no different. We know the flaws of the platform. We know the flaws of a pushrod V8. We choose to accept it for what it is, master driving it by driving it practically every day, and relying on the advantage of thousands of miles and hundreds of hours more seat time in type as compared to the weekend exotic driver. And having faith the engineers will continue to evolve it in the current configuration and keep us competitive. No different than the 911 lovers demand from Porsche.

Corvette abandoned a configuration it has been evolving/perfecting for over 65 years.
With the Viper out of production and Corvette going mid-engine I feel like America and the world has lost something. Something imperfect but perfectly American and perfectly competitive.

A choice, a statement that says you do it your way, we Americans choose to do it our way. Meet me or beat me to the road house at the bottom of the hill and we can continue this discussion over a cold brew.
The following 8 users liked this post by dar02081961:
Detroit_Bill (04-18-2019), falcon5619 (04-22-2019), flynbulldog (04-17-2019), LimeyC5 (04-19-2019), Stripeknight (04-18-2019), SuperdadZ06 (04-17-2019), tertiumquid (04-19-2019), twistedgixxer (04-20-2019) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-17-2019, 07:49 PM
flynbulldog
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
But if you think about it, the ultimate C7 is the ZR1. Not the flawed z06 lol

The z06 is just a better bang for buck. But the ZR1 is the COMPLETE machine. The perfect C7.
No doubt the Zr1 is the top performer and it will undoubtedly become a collectors item in the future, but when I said "there will never be another, better version of the FE Corvette" I meant all C7 Corvettes from the base Stingray to beastly ZR1.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:25 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

I agree
Originally Posted by Stripeknight

When I was a kid in elementary school, my favorite car for 20 years was the then 1981 Stingray Corvette, as an adult in my late 30's I was able to buy the modern version of my all time favorite car.
If you are a Stingray fan and have a 650 hp Z, and you can easily modify it to 1000 hp why buy the next version?

Get notified of new replies

To The top reason to keep your C7 over a C8

Old 04-17-2019, 08:31 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by flynbulldog
No doubt the Zr1 is the top performer and it will undoubtedly become a collectors item in the future, but when I said "there will never be another, better version of the FE Corvette" I meant all C7 Corvettes from the base Stingray to beastly ZR1.
Oh yeah i agree. The C8 can never be a better version of the FE corvette. Because it's ME lol

The C7 is like neo from the matrix. Then the C8 is when he finally became "the one".
Old 04-17-2019, 10:06 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

yeah I hear ya....the C8 may be the "chosen one".

but ya know what's really funny....the 1967 Stingray coupe and convertible, 427 side pipe car, 4 speed, still is the Corvette of choice for most all of the history of Corvettes. The models that followed never could reach that heart throb. All of them were better, all of them were faster, but the '67 still stops traffic.

I hope the C8 is a nice car, but I will hold judgement....I can't understand all this hype on a car that most of us have never seen and none of us have driven. And to say it will be great and fantastic because it a Chevrolet, you live in a different world than I do seeing some of the BS we've all put up with on the C7. I love my C7 Z06, but it has it's issues, all of which could be solved by GM, but they ignore us. They will do the same thing on the C8, count on it.

Last edited by tzoid9; 04-17-2019 at 10:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tzoid9:
Road machine (04-18-2019), tracer3030 (04-22-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 10:27 PM
Gixxerman

Received 3,745 Likes on 2,125 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

My Z06 wZ07 is paid for and I love everything about it.. will be a few years until they work out the bugs on C8 (Hello it's still GM) A few years more to make a Z06 type package so I don't think many of Z06 owners who are happy are all that interested. It is interesting design, but speaking for myself I do not get the "new" thing just because it's new or what others might think.. I have to please myself. Remember "new" is not always better.. I kind of like the more muscular look that an FE car has.. mid engine cars are usually sexy but not really muscular... apples and oranges. will probably split Corvette owners in terms of FE or ME

Quick Reply: The top reason to keep your C7 over a C8