C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Noob to Z and MRC

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 02:22 PM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Default Noob to Z and MRC

Hi Guys/Gals
I just got my 19 A8 Z last week and have really minimal seat-time yet as weather has been really lousy.

Disclaimer: for all the "grumps" out there -- YES I did read the manual and yes I have fairly good reading comprehension. I also did searches for specific items that I needed more "real world" understanding of than what the manual offered. With many years of aircraft maintenance experience I've always tried to live by; "It's better to ask a stupid question than to not ask and prove you're stupid"

1. What mode do you guys usually street drive in Tour - Sport? (I did find out with search; Track Mode on the street is usually not good and can easily lead to bent wheels - correct?)
2. When selecting the different MRC modes such as "Wet" - Sport1" etc. Are these ONLY used for track work? or are there any benefits for street driving?
3. I've come from a 2015 C7 base so I am pretty familiar with the car overall, but obviously not the additional power/torque and handling of the Z. It seems the experienced drivers all say "roll into the go pedal - don't slam it down unless you are ready for the control issues" Does the MRC "wet - sport1 etc. help with these issues on the street? or again, is it pretty much just effective for cornering and track use times?

Sorry for the long post. I'm pretty sure most of this is answered at the Willow class. Unfortunately I had a bad neck injury (broke 3 neck vertebrates working on an airplane in the past) and can't sustain the multiple lateral G's of track work.

Thanks again for all the past information I've gleaned from the forum in the past -- tom

Old 04-18-2019, 02:37 PM
LagunaSecaZ06
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

I use all the modes on the street depending on my mood and conditions.

On the street, I use the dash to drive mode link function. So by changing the mode, it changes the MRC tuning and dash to match. I use Eco mode on long drives to get V4 mode. I typically use Touring about 80% of the time. I also use Sport and Track on the street. At the track, I use the Touring dash (to get digital readouts on the oil and coolant temps) and typically use Track in PTM Sport1 or Sport2. I will be using Race mode in Track mode more often. The 2019s have a revised Track mode dash showing the digital readouts of coolant and water temp, so no need to use the Touring dash setting at the track.

Note. Disabling Traction control is different than enabling PTM in Track mode. If you push the button one time in Track mode it disables traction control and you can spin the rear wheels as much as you want. If you push the button twice, the Traction Control disable light is on, but the MRC enters PTM with sub menus(Wet, Dry, Sport1, Sport2, Race) and this ractivates traction control. If you try to spin the rear wheels, you will hear PTM/Traction Control kick in.

Last edited by LagunaSecaZ06; 04-18-2019 at 08:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kenownr (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 02:51 PM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Lugana: Thanks very much -- that's the real world information I was looking for -- not many people just hanging out around here able to answer these questions. -- tom
The following users liked this post:
LagunaSecaZ06 (04-18-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 08:39 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Good questions but with your Corvette driving background, try out the various modes and run what you like. You'll get a hundred different answers for every 101 that responds.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:28 PM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 893 Likes on 537 Posts

I daily my Z and weather mode is great for Pilot Sport Cup 2s in the rain. Tour is fine if you’re just cruising, sport is a quick turn away for when you get on it.
On the track ptm is awesome. Ptm wet is very similar to weather, dry is very conservative, and sport 1 works well.
You know you can menu in (settings) and change steering feel and exhaust sound independently of the modes? Track mode steering is firm, I much prefer it to tour.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:58 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,970 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by kenownr
Hi Guys/Gals
I just got my 19 A8 Z last week and have really minimal seat-time yet as weather has been really lousy.

1. What mode do you guys usually street drive in Tour - Sport? (I did find out with search; Track Mode on the street is usually not good and can easily lead to bent wheels - correct?)
2. When selecting the different MRC modes such as "Wet" - Sport1" etc. Are these ONLY used for track work? or are there any benefits for street driving?
3. I've come from a 2015 C7 base so I am pretty familiar with the car overall, but obviously not the additional power/torque and handling of the Z. It seems the experienced drivers all say "roll into the go pedal - don't slam it down unless you are ready for the control issues" Does the MRC "wet - sport1 etc. help with these issues on the street? or again, is it pretty much just effective for cornering and track use times?
Welcome to the Jungle Tom!

First, if you think your neck can handle it, sign up and take advantage of the Corvette Owners School at Spring Mountain. I just got back from my second visit in March, and it is a blast.

I spend 70% of my time in Sport (for fun), 25% in Tour (respect of neighbors and longer trips) and 5% in Weather mode. With the Z06, in cold and/or Wet conditions Weather mode can really save your ***. SM teaches you all that Weather mode is doing, and it’s amazing. You can always set you Sound Management to Sport if you want the throaty exhaust note while in the more passive driving modes.

As for Track mode, some guys on here will say they use it on the street for machismo. After two visits to SM they, they said we have no need or business using it anywhere but the track. The Nannies are part of it, but potential rim damage is the other. Given the roads in Michigan, NO WAY I’d drive in Track mode on the Street. Just my $.02

Get notified of new replies

To Noob to Z and MRC

Quick Reply: Noob to Z and MRC