C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

I hate to break it to you, this is how the C7 will be remembered

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 05:52 PM
NineVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
No thanks, been there, done that - had LPE modded '02 Z06. Was a great car - in its time.

On track in North Central Florida this Spring

Now I have this one, and its much better in every way. As one would expect since it is two generations removed. Remember that the original C5 Z was based on the "low rent Billy Bob" car that had horrendous aero (and side windows would pull out of their tracks at higher speed track events). Rubbermaid interior, some controls from the Chevy Cavalier, marginal brakes, weak valve springs - it had its weaknesses. I really liked my Electron Blue '02 which I took Museum Delivery of, and at the time, it was the best Vette yet. Plus, cars, like any machine, need to be used. A car that has been sitting idle for 15 years is going to have its own share of problems due to non-use. Long term non-use is a form of misuse....

The '19 M7 above, apart from weighing in on race shop scales at 3534 lbs, and having crappy quality boat anchor wheels, is pretty sorted out and the forged lightweight wheels going on in about 2 weeks and hopefully an Evo Akra late summer will get the weight down to about 3480 lbs. Handling, power, and interior are light years ahead of the '02 - as they should be. Made 589 rwhp on the dyno about 6 weeks ago.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:37 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,651 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Can't offer advice except that the LS will most likely prove the more reliable engine over the years. Direct injection and cylinder deactivation complexities will hurt the LT for long term reliability. First gen cylinder deactivation was a fiasco. Is the LT a good engine? Overall I think so, but the LS will stand the test of time and is already the new "350" for engine swaps.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:05 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

02 and part of 03 had valve spring issues. Not the entire run for the LS6. However, 01 had the ring issue so there is that but most I believe were fixed under warranty. The C7Z has some changes from year to year with upgrades. It's just progression which thank God GM does so that they fix some oversights.

What is strange to me is that people don't respect the cars in general. Surely, a car guy/gal can respect the C7 even if they don't like the car. If they can't they are not a true car person.

Not sure about you other sport bike riders but my likes have changed from the newest to the older stuff. The water cooled poor handling GSXR 1100 Crayola FZR's, early 900 RR's....etc. Hell, an early 80s Katana would be great. I see Suzuki is going to make another version of the old one from the early 80s. Can't wait to test ride it!
Old 05-22-2019, 11:57 AM
cpark
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your weird to think a C4 and a C7 to be remembered as the same!
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (05-25-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 11:00 AM
PerKr
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

The C4 still draws attention so not sure what the point is. It'll be remembered as the generation that made the corvette something that would be considered a sportscar even in Europe, especially with the ZR-1.
C5 I'm not sure of, it was better and definitely a corvette but I think that's about it.
C6 will of course be remembered for the ZR1 and Z06 and beating Porsche at the ring for the first time. The C6Z06 should be remembered for its engine issues but apparently not.
As for the C7, while even better in many ways I find it hard to point at something it will be remembered for other than possibly being the last FE Corvette (and thereby, as some would see it, the last Corvette) and all the issues with engines, overheating and whatnot (but those problems are likely going to be forgotten about in a few years just like the LS7 valves and bearings)

When it comes to styling they are all children of their time. And they tend to look awesome while they are current, so-so during the reign of the next generation and outright bland during the generation after that. And then you take a closer look at a real one and everything changes. After all, you know a car looks awesomely cool when a kid jumps out of his dad's almost brand new (and very cool and contemporary-looking) performance car, looks at your old corvette and exclaims "wow! that is so cool! I want one like that!"
JerriVette (05-25-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 11:31 AM
Scoobydoobydoo
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by PerKr
As for the C7, while even better in many ways I find it hard to point at something it will be remembered for other than possibly being the last FE Corvette (and thereby, as some would see it, the last Corvette) and all the issues with engines, overheating and whatnot (but those problems are likely going to be forgotten about in a few years just like the LS7 valves and bearings)
All the engine issues and overheating? What the hell are you talking about? The only time it overheats is when going all out on a road course and as far as engine issues I'm pretty sure these motors have very reliable with no major problems.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:01 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoobydoobydoo
All the engine issues and overheating? What the hell are you talking about? The only time it overheats is when going all out on a road course and as far as engine issues I'm pretty sure these motors have very reliable with no major problems.
In all fairness the Z06 overheating issue is widely known. There is a class action lawsuit progressing which has been reported on by many media outlets and the overheating sticky thread on this forum has over 5,400 replies and over 630,000 views.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:42 PM
Scoobydoobydoo
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
In all fairness the Z06 overheating issue is widely known. There is a class action lawsuit progressing which has been reported on by many media outlets and the overheating sticky thread on this forum has over 5,400 replies and over 630,000 views.

True if you track your car. However for the majority of us that dont and even if you drive it hard on the streets you probably will never overheat.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:20 PM
NineVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
There were some overheating issues with the earliest auto Z06's. But I have a '19 M7 which I have tracked twice this Spring with zero temp issues (in Florida) - and I was not cruising.... Only problem was bent wheels.. My '19 Brochure does (in very small print) still recommend using the M7 for road courses. But I have not heard of anyone with an auto or manual having overheating problems from '17 and up. I believe some of these problems really stemmed from having two much air in the S/C coolant.

Sometimes what is "widely known" is not necessarily "widely correct." Same goes for alleged handling woes at the limit - which were based on an early Randy Pobst report after driving a Z06 which had a horrible rear caster setting. After GM acknowledged the alignment problem, Pobst re-drove the car and the "problem" was resolved. C&D One Lap still lists the Z06 as one of the top 10 fastest around VIR and that was a '15, which did not have the benefits of multiple MSRC upgrades...

The only truth about "common knowledge" is that it is "common." Whether or not it is true may or may not be true.
Scoobydoobydoo (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 04:14 PM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by NineVettes
There were some overheating issues with the earliest auto Z06's. But I have a '19 M7 which I have tracked twice this Spring with zero temp issues (in Florida) - and I was not cruising.... Only problem was bent wheels.. My '19 Brochure does (in very small print) still recommend using the M7 for road courses. But I have not heard of anyone with an auto or manual having overheating problems from '17 and up. I believe some of these problems really stemmed from having two much air in the S/C coolant.

Sometimes what is "widely known" is not necessarily "widely correct." Same goes for alleged handling woes at the limit - which were based on an early Randy Pobst report after driving a Z06 which had a horrible rear caster setting. After GM acknowledged the alignment problem, Pobst re-drove the car and the "problem" was resolved. C&D One Lap still lists the Z06 as one of the top 10 fastest around VIR and that was a '15, which did not have the benefits of multiple MSRC upgrades...

The only truth about "common knowledge" is that it is "common." Whether or not it is true may or may not be true.
I agree completely....especially when it comes to cracked wheels.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:02 PM
ptalar
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoobydoobydoo
True if you track your car. However for the majority of us that dont and even if you drive it hard on the streets you probably will never overheat.
As I understand it the Z06 would never overheat at the track if you followed Chief Engineer Tadge's recommendation indicating track temperature should be 87 degrees F or less. Apparently, a lot of guys tracked their cars on really hot days and encountered overheating. The design track temperature was probably too low for the non-technical Corvette owner. Who pays attention to track temperatures? And rightly so they added additional engine cooling in the late 2017 and up cars to increase the allowable track temperature. I never heard what the new design track temperature is for the 2017 and up cars. It must have a limit. Everything overheats at some ambient temperature.

Last edited by ptalar; 05-23-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:37 PM
CamOnlyJabroni
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

I have a 16’ Z M7 with cooling mods, running e85 and 5 thousand dollar forged wheels. Looks like mine will be remembered how I chose to mod it.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:26 AM
cpark
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Stripeknight
I hate to break it to you but when the new revolutionary Ferrari like C8 is released, this is the model of vette that C7's will most likely remembered and compared against in about 2 years, some folks probably won't even know the difference between the two models (C4 & C7) once the C8 hits the streets:

Really! A corvette fan would know but I guess you won’t or you already are brain dead!
Old 05-24-2019, 09:26 AM
cpark
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Stripeknight
I hate to break it to you but when the new revolutionary Ferrari like C8 is released, this is the model of vette that C7's will most likely remembered and compared against in about 2 years, some folks probably won't even know the difference between the two models (C4 & C7) once the C8 hits the streets:

Really! A corvette fan would know but I guess you won’t or you’re already brain dead!

Last edited by cpark; 05-24-2019 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-24-2019, 09:54 AM
Wildwildwest
Cruising

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

C6...lol
Old 05-25-2019, 10:09 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 437 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by NineVettes

I have a 2017. The notice I got from the Law Firm I signed up with recently sent me a notice stating that the case was remaining open in a number of States and not applicable in other States. The fix for the 17-19' was for manual transmissions, not autos. So yeah your common knowledge is just that.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:49 PM
cottonant
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I'm 70 years old. I really don't care.

Great point DevilDog II...but even if you're 56 like me, or 26, who cares???!!!

Seen a lot of C7 bashing in the C6 forum where I hang due to having one and just don't get it. Love my modded 606 RWHP C6 Vert but if money was no object, I would buy a C7 Z06 or ZR1 in a heartbeat.

Who in their right mind would not want one of these?

JerriVette (05-25-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To I hate to break it to you, this is how the C7 will be remembered

Old 05-25-2019, 03:29 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,137 Posts

Originally Posted by cpark
Your weird to think a C4 and a C7 to be remembered as the same!
lol exactly.

The C7 is the most beautiful corvette TO DATE. That might, and probably will change once the C8 comes around.

The C4 is probably the ugliest IMHO. I would get a C5 over a C6 now. Only because i already had a C6 and always wanted an FRC. I saw a C6 the other day, not a widebody C6 and i was like damn, those cars sure aged badly lol
Old 05-25-2019, 03:55 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Looks are subjective. You just admitted it. IMHO where O = opinion. lol

IMHO late 50' to early 60s are the best with mid 60s following them and then late 60s early 70s.

Isn't it great to have personal preference?
Old 05-25-2019, 04:36 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,137 Posts

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
Looks are subjective. You just admitted it. IMHO where O = opinion. lol

IMHO late 50' to early 60s are the best with mid 60s following them and then late 60s early 70s.

Isn't it great to have personal preference?
Yup. I have tons of opinions. But seems like a lot of people here get mad at them LOL

But to say you won't notice the difference between a C4 and a C7 and i say, tell your doctor to prescribe you new meds. Or get your eyes checked.

Quick Reply: I hate to break it to you, this is how the C7 will be remembered