C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

M7 or A8?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 10:05 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtoro
I'm pretty darn happy with my M7. Rev match and downshift is very fun and loud. Shifts are deliberate and hard (if you want) or nice and smooth. I've been in stop and go traffic a lot and I would get the Manual all over again. Plus I hear the shifts in the A8 are kind of mushy.
I do love those rev matches!! The only "problem" with it is that sometimes people think you're revving at them. Obviously those people aren't the smartest, but it does get you some looks in traffic sometimes. I use the quotes because I don't really think it's a problem, more of an amusement really. The rev match is one of my favorite things.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:24 AM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

I was always a manual trans guy. I have had every generation of corvette, and every one of them was stick....until my 2019 Z06. I test drove the M7 and frankly I just didn't like it. The one extra gear makes the pattern too easy to go into the wrong gear, and if you go into the wrong gear at speed it can mean a mechanical over-rev and a lock up of the rear tires and loss of control. If they had kept the 6 speed, I would have gone manual. I have driven the A8 now for 2500 miles. At first I thought I had made a mistake. It seemed like the trans took forever to shift when using the paddles, but you learn to drive it and it learns how you drive it. If you are hammering the car the trans shifts exactly when I tell it to, if i am just tooling around it is more mellow and slower. I travel every weekend to my lake house half the year and the my C6 Z06 was always a nightmare when I would get caught in a traffic jam. With the auto the traffic jams are still a nightmare but not due to my left leg falling off from having to use the clutch all the time. Through the twisty roads the trans works beautifully and you feel just like you are driving a stick but without the clutch. As for collectability of a manual.....forget it. Yes this might be that last front engine manual trans corvette. And it might not. I remember all the people running out to buy convertibles when GM said it would not build them anymore....then they did. It is just as likely that the Corvette front engine will continue in parallel with the C8 as not and GM has made no formal announcement. But besides that there are way too may 2019 Z06s out there for them to be collectable, but even if they did become collectable, that will not happen for 25 years or so....will you still be around for that?? So good luck with your choice but which ever way you go you will absolutely love the car.
The following users liked this post:
fyrcaptain (07-25-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 11:48 AM
twiget
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 111 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified

Thanks for all the input guys & great video @xkilo16x .

I've pretty much decided on the M7. I love shifting through the gears on my 1LE, and I know I'd have a hard time giving that up, especially in a Z06. If I don't feel like dealing with the 3rd pedal, I can always drive my truck. As for collectibility, this will be my 4th 'Vette and I've never been concerned with the resale value of them. I buy Corvette's because I love the styling, performance and community.
The following 3 users liked this post by twiget:
nmerhaut (06-20-2019), Road machine (05-08-2019), Toddiesel (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 02:09 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Congratulations on making a choice...definitely neither one will become a collector item ...this being your fourth corvette...welcome to the forum too.

the forum dealers offer some kick *** pricing deals..

good luck
Old 05-07-2019, 02:15 PM
BDASSZO6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

M7!!!! Drive the car! No issues either......... I have a 19 ZM7 and love it. Wouldnt consider the A8
c6txvette (05-12-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 02:35 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Road machine
The one extra gear makes the pattern too easy to go into the wrong gear, and if you go into the wrong gear at speed it can mean a mechanical over-rev and a lock up of the rear tires and loss of control. If they had kept the 6 speed, I would have gone manual.
The shift pattern is 100% identical to a 6 speed car. 7th is in the same plane as reverse. So nothing as far as the shift pattern changed for 1-6, it only gained one spot, forward of reverse.

NOW did the pattern tighten up a bit, yes I believe it did. Ive owned several C6 6 speeds and driven a few C5 6 speeds and the pattern felt larger in those cars. In all of those cars the MGW makes a HUGE difference, but in my 19 Z I dont know that I am going to do the MGW.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:59 PM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by rjacobs
The shift pattern is 100% identical to a 6 speed car. 7th is in the same plane as reverse. So nothing as far as the shift pattern changed for 1-6, it only gained one spot, forward of reverse.

NOW did the pattern tighten up a bit, yes I believe it did. Ive owned several C6 6 speeds and driven a few C5 6 speeds and the pattern felt larger in those cars. In all of those cars the MGW makes a HUGE difference, but in my 19 Z I dont know that I am going to do the MGW.
was going to say the same thing. It is the same shift pattern and I rarely ever use 7th gear. I will probably get an MGW for my 17z as I hear they are still a big improvement.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:44 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

One test drive in a A8 and I placed my order for the M7.
fyrcaptain (07-25-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 07:12 PM
Exia
Burning Brakes

Received 844 Likes on 351 Posts

As a someone who owned a 6th Gen Camaro with the 8 speed, a C7 Grand Sport with the 8 speed and now a C7 Z06 with the 7 speed manual I suggest the manual unless you really want the auto for traffic. My Camaro had rough 1-2 shifts with the 8 speed, never got it resolved. My Grand Sport had a flawless 8 speed, no issues but the delay between shifts in manual mode was frustrating. I specifically wanted the manual in my Z06 due to the delay in the automatic. If you don't care about being quicker on the drag strip, or don't mind driving stick around town and in traffic, I'd suggest getting the manual. I don't regret it.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:01 PM
SuperdadZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 246 Posts

Great choice, for me it was the only choice
Old 05-08-2019, 06:59 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by RegnaR
was going to say the same thing. It is the same shift pattern and I rarely ever use 7th gear. I will probably get an MGW for my 17z as I hear they are still a big improvement.
I too rarely use 7th. I'm pretty sure it was just a move for the EPA so they could allow us to avoid the gas guzzler tax
Old 05-08-2019, 08:43 AM
DoingOK
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 84 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
CI VIII Car Show Winner

Went from a M6 in a C6 Z06 to a CTS-V Coupe with an auto.......had to go back to a manual in my 2019 Z06. It's all personal preference and I just like rowing gears.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:32 AM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

It's the buyers choice on a M7 or the A8. One is not better than the other. Only you can decide.

I chose the M7 because I wanted to drive by keeping it in the gears I wanted to and I'm not a fan of the paddle shifters on the A8.
The following 2 users liked this post by JJLAI724:
c6txvette (05-12-2019), Road machine (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 10:53 AM
Road machine
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rjacobs

The difference is that now you jump gates in both directions to get to a gear. You always had to jump a gate to get to 1st and second but you never jumped a gate to the right unless you were going for reverse, which you only do when stopped, pretty much the same for 1str and 2nd. Also on the T6060 the path for reverse was locked out while moving, so you basically did not have the ability to go further to the right than 5th 6th, whereas now with the T6070 the path is open to the right and only locked out for the downward gate which is reverse. With the added jumped gate for 7th I think that in certain scenarios you could mistakenly jump the gate to the left and hit 2nd instead of 4th. Maybe the problem for me was that I came in driving my C6 Z06 and was just so used to that, that the pattern felt odd to me. I am certainly not saying that the M7 is a bad trans or that it isn't good for anybody who wants to row gears....I just didn't like the way it felt personally and the A8 works great for me. As I said, at first i was concerned about the delayed shift on the A8, but that was during break in, when you cannot get on the car hard. Once you start getting on the gas hard, you find that the trans shifts the second you hit the paddle and holds gear without any issue, while protecting you a bit if you double tap the paddle if that would cause an over-rev.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:55 AM
Road machine
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DoingOK
Went from a M6 in a C6 Z06 to a CTS-V Coupe with an auto.......had to go back to a manual in my 2019 Z06. It's all personal preference and I just like rowing gears.
I had the M6 in my CTS-V wagon....loved it...except in traffic.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:12 AM
dale fehrenbach
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 148 Posts

Default M7/a8

It’s a personal choice, depending what you will do with the car and how you like to drive.
Mine is a M7. I do not track or race. It’s my pleasure car to drive when ever there is nice weather.
i really like the M7.
The following 2 users liked this post by dale fehrenbach:
BDASSZO6 (05-08-2019), fyrcaptain (07-25-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 11:51 AM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by tzoid9
I hate to be grumpy with my response to your question, but there is no clear winner to this question. Drive both and decide as has already been suggested. No one can answer your question.....this one goes with the "which color is faster" question. It's simply called...personal preference.
Google Corvette Racing Team, look at the color of the "Race Car" for the answer

Get notified of new replies

To M7 or A8?

Old 05-08-2019, 08:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Road machine
The difference is that now you jump gates in both directions to get to a gear. You always had to jump a gate to get to 1st and second but you never jumped a gate to the right unless you were going for reverse, which you only do when stopped, pretty much the same for 1str and 2nd. Also on the T6060 the path for reverse was locked out while moving, so you basically did not have the ability to go further to the right than 5th 6th, whereas now with the T6070 the path is open to the right and only locked out for the downward gate which is reverse. With the added jumped gate for 7th I think that in certain scenarios you could mistakenly jump the gate to the left and hit 2nd instead of 4th. Maybe the problem for me was that I came in driving my C6 Z06 and was just so used to that, that the pattern felt odd to me. I am certainly not saying that the M7 is a bad trans or that it isn't good for anybody who wants to row gears....I just didn't like the way it felt personally and the A8 works great for me. As I said, at first i was concerned about the delayed shift on the A8, but that was during break in, when you cannot get on the car hard. Once you start getting on the gas hard, you find that the trans shifts the second you hit the paddle and holds gear without any issue, while protecting you a bit if you double tap the paddle if that would cause an over-rev.
The C7 transmission sets the shifter in the middle of the 3/4 gate just like the C5 and C6 6 speed transmissions did. Put the transmission into neutral and it sits right in the middle of the 3/4 gate. Shifting from 2 to 3 without missing a shift are easy as long as you use the heel of the hand to push the shifter forward. As soon as it gets to the opening it will move sideways into the 3/4 gate and into 3rd. Now if you grip the shifter like a pistol grip or try to aim the shifter you will have a higher probability of missing the shift. It isn't about the sloppiness or tightness of any of those shifters it is all about poor shifting practice. Hold the shifter correctly and make proper use of the fingers and heel of the hand and you can make quick reliable shifts without purchasing an aftermarket shifter to make up for the driver's lack of ability.

Bill
The following 3 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
BLUZ51 (06-26-2019), need-for-speed (05-11-2019), SuperdadZ06 (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 08:18 PM
Vette E Boop
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 76 Posts

Maybe I’m in the minority but the whole subject of “driving a manual shift in the city/traffic does not make sense to me. I never think about it. It’s automatic, much like breathing.
BLUZ51 (06-26-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 08:42 PM
gr8del
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

For me it was simple, M7!!!!!

I love the feel of shifting; makes me feel like a part of the car, not just along for the ride. I drive 99.27% street and will never “compete” on the track as I just do it for fun, but no amount of traffic would change my mind. As others stated this is also the last standard trans Vette (as far as we know), why not get the last and greatest?

Side note: if you go M7, get an MGW shifter. Stock was good, but the MGW is so crisp

Last edited by gr8del; 05-08-2019 at 08:43 PM.

Quick Reply: M7 or A8?