C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Magnetic Ride update didn't work? SF Bay area

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 01:56 PM
tmatthews77
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnetic Ride update didn't work? SF Bay area

Hi Everyone,

New member here but have been lurking reading all the great information here for a long time. I took my 2017 Z06 (Z07) to the dealer for the magnetic ride update, using the info here watching the web site nothing ever changed in the versions. I've been fighting with them for about a month now to get it fixed. I've shared all the information I have for them to be able to see it but I'm not having much luck.

At this point I want to find another dealership. Having to leave the car there overnight poses some minor challenges if the dealership is far away from my house. Anyone in the SF Bay Area (San Jose) have a contact they could point me to at one of the dealerships who will know what I'm talking about?

Thanks for your time,
Trevor
Old 05-09-2019, 02:36 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Did you specify the Chevy Performance Parts MSRC Upgrade with the part number? Did they call the tech support line?

If you rolled in asking for “the MSRC update” they may have just flashed your car with stock software and called it a day. Seems to have happened to a bunch of folks.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:39 PM
tmatthews77
6th Gear

Thanks for the response! I shared the documents, upgrade id, the template and web page from here to use when calling GM for the upgrade showing the steps for the dealer to follow.

Last edited by tmatthews77; 05-09-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:46 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Find an authorized Chevy Performance Dealership and go discuss the situation with them, perhaps they’ll help you get it straightened out.

I had my 2016 done soon after the release, went to a dealership that sells lots of vettes, and asked about the upgrade. They had done one already and the tech said the longest part was getting ahold of techline. In/out in about an hour. Online it shows upgraded software supporting Chevy Performance Part and correct part number. Made a huge difference in a Z07.

Good luck.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:58 PM
tmatthews77
6th Gear

Appreciate it, will do that. There is a large volume Corvette dealership in my area, I went to the one near my house. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:28 PM
Detroit_Bill
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

The car does not have to sit over night at the dealer. It does need to sit at some point after the procedure. Its in the Ask Tadge
Old 05-09-2019, 03:31 PM
tmatthews77
6th Gear

Thanks Detroit_Bill, that was my biggest issue with a dealer far from my home is it needing to sit. Makes it much easier to just flash and go! Current dealer still thinks they did the right thing. If someone with knowledge would be nice enough to check for me I'll DM my VIN. Thanks!
Old 05-09-2019, 08:20 PM
hubris140
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey, I just got my 2017 Z07 updated with the $350 MRC update. I went to Abel Chevy in Rio Vista, CA. I'm in East bay and it was a bit of a drive. Considering the state of the other dealers in our area, its always worth the drive for me. Abel works almost exclusively on Corvettes and Camaros and they've done a ton of these MRC updates.

Call up their service dept or get in touch with their service director Rich and he can hook you up. Also, you don't need to leave it overnight at the dealers'. You can drive it home immediately after the update and let it sit overnight in your garage.

IMO, the MRC update was quite subtle to me. To me, it didn't seem like a night and day difference as other folks have experienced and this is of course subjective, but I could tell that the car was more planted as I rode over a few poorly surfaced roads near my home. The biggest difference I felt was turn in at speed. I usually take a clover leaf freeway onramp at 40-50mph on my way to work and since the update, I can definitely feel the car twist around a lot quicker and more confidently.

Haven't had the pleasure of popping it into track mode lately but I will soon enough.

Last edited by hubris140; 05-09-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:23 PM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by hubris140
Hey, I just got my 2017 Z07 updated with the $350 MRC update. I went to Abel Chevy in Rio Vista, CA. I'm in East bay and it was a bit of a drive. Considering the state of the other dealers in our area, its always worth the drive for me. Abel works almost exclusively on Corvettes and Camaros and they've done a ton of these MRC updates.

Call up their service dept or get in touch with their service director Rich and he can hook you up. Also, you don't need to leave it overnight at the dealers'. You can drive it home immediately after the update and let it sit overnight in your garage.

IMO, the MRC update was quite subtle to me. To me, it didn't seem like a night and day difference as other folks have experienced and this is of course subjective, but I could tell that the car was more planted as I rode over a few poorly surfaced roads near my home. The biggest difference I felt was turn in at speed. I usually take a clover leaf freeway onramp at 40-50mph on my way to work and since the update, I can definitely feel the car twist around a lot quicker and more confidently.

Haven't had the pleasure of popping it into track mode lately but I will soon enough.
I drove like four hours to go to Abel Chevy when I lived outside of LA. Great service!
Old 05-10-2019, 12:12 AM
CaddyRacer
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

Trevor
Is your vette lowered?
...mine WAS the the MRC update made MY Z06 worse
I went to another dealer who raised it back up and it now the ride quality is better than before
Old 05-10-2019, 10:15 AM
tmatthews77
6th Gear

hubris140 - Thanks, just learned about not needing to leave it overnight, that changes things a lot. Got a local contact from another member, if that doesn't feel right I'll be calling Abel for sure.

CaddyRacer - It is not lowered, I'm getting the update for better handling at the track =) . It really only gets driven to and from HPDE.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:20 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by hubris140

Originally Posted by RegnaR
I drove like four hours to go to Abel Chevy when I lived outside of LA. Great service!
Abel is the only dealership to go to in and out of the Bay Area.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:28 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by tmatthews77
Thanks Detroit_Bill, that was my biggest issue with a dealer far from my home is it needing to sit. Makes it much easier to just flash and go! Current dealer still thinks they did the right thing. If someone with knowledge would be nice enough to check for me I'll DM my VIN. Thanks!
So what makes you think they didn't do the right thing? No sense seeking out another dealer until you determine if what the current dealer has done is correct. Why not describe what happened?

When I went to my dealer there was some confusion about what to do as the service people originally thought I was looking for a service update. Then when the actual Corvette mechanic called the TechLine number he called me back and asked whether I knew the cost was $350 and I said yes. From that moment on everything flowed easily.

Since my car has had software updates that didn't take right away I left my car overnight. The mechanic double checked the installation the next morning to make sure the correct software was in place. The reason I said the car had issues with software updates is when the revised PDR software came out it took 3 separate attempts to get the update loaded and initialized.

Bill
Old 05-12-2019, 07:56 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Mine is16 Z06. Try checking your service write up. First time they did mine, the service write up said “customer has current update “. I said no, I’m talking about the customer option for the MRSC.I AGAIN explained the whole process with calling tech support (I had the whole printout detailing the update ) & spoke with the service manager & he & I got on the same page & it was done with service paperwork showing the correct update # & it showed updated on the website you can go to to verify.

Last edited by madrob2020; 05-12-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:22 PM
tmatthews77
6th Gear

GM web site didn't ever change and the report they showed me from their system matched the web site. I'm taking the car back in for them to do it again, thanks for the help everyone!
Old 05-14-2019, 07:29 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

If you've been lurking and reading you should be aware that most who've gotten the "update" are less than impressed and they wasted their money. If you're serious about the car performing to its potential you'll buy a DSC Sport Shock controller and be done with it. The consensus of owners with the DSC controller have stated its the best performance improvement available for the C7. It transforms the car.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:00 AM
Chili144
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tmatthews77
Hi Everyone,

New member here but have been lurking reading all the great information here for a long time. I took my 2017 Z06 (Z07) to the dealer for the magnetic ride update, using the info here watching the web site nothing ever changed in the versions. I've been fighting with them for about a month now to get it fixed. I've shared all the information I have for them to be able to see it but I'm not having much luck.

At this point I want to find another dealership. Having to leave the car there overnight poses some minor challenges if the dealership is far away from my house. Anyone in the SF Bay Area (San Jose) have a contact they could point me to at one of the dealerships who will know what I'm talking about?

Thanks for your time,
Trevor
Take it to Abel Chevrolet Ask for Darnell 707-507-5059 tell him Chris Sent you They are in Rio Vista but worth the drive.

Get notified of new replies

To Magnetic Ride update didn't work? SF Bay area

Old 05-15-2019, 09:13 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
If you've been lurking and reading you should be aware that most who've gotten the "update" are less than impressed and they wasted their money. If you're serious about the car performing to its potential you'll buy a DSC Sport Shock controller and be done with it. The consensus of owners with the DSC controller have stated its the best performance improvement available for the C7. It transforms the car.
In most of the reviews I've read, people have been extremely happy with the GM upgrade...when they finally get the actual upgrade and not a reflash of the original factory software. It made a huge difference on my car.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:15 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
In most of the reviews I've read, people have been extremely happy with the GM upgrade...when they finally get the actual upgrade and not a reflash of the original factory software. It made a huge difference on my car.
A miniscule difference compared to what the DSC Sport controller provides.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:16 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

I'll take $350 for Jim Mero's version rather than $900 for something the vast majority of people (including myself) have no clue how to set up properly.

It's a great piece of kit, but it's way overkill for cars that spend 99% of their time on the street.

Quick Reply: Magnetic Ride update didn't work? SF Bay area